Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default "Work of Art: The Next Great Artist" on Bravo

Anyone else watching this show? Im dying to know if anyone else is loving the shit out of this show too?!

Im really glad to see a show that is attempting to tackle a view of art and the art process even if it is done in a reality style.

The thing that threw me for a loop is the whole Sara Jessica Parker thing. Really? She's the executive producer? And her giving a pep-talk to the artists? REALLY?

So far, I love Abdi, Miles, Nicole, and Mark.

Im not feeling Jaclyn at ALL. Her work feels cheap and the last challenge especially felt like an excuse to take (more) photos of herself.

I also wasnt feeling Eric's last piece. I did dig the idea of treating it like a poster and taping it to the wall but it didnt translate well.

The whole idea of doing a show on art based on a reality-show platform is just ridiculous but Im completely hooked on this show and have already DVR'd all the episodes with rabid obsession like I do with Project Runway.

Dammit, Bravo!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
femmedyke

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her

femmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmedyke Has the BEST Reputation

Totally haven't checked it out yet, but your synopsis has me intrigued! Sounds like this is the kind of show that would be right up my alley. I'll look it up and be back for my review.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Anyone? Bueller?!!!

Come on! Someone has to be watching this!!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

totally watching it. I like Miles best so far . I agree about the girl who took the naked pix of herself (bad with names) - i heard she as Jeff Koons assistant though which makes her slightly more interesting.

last episode with auto fellatio, cut off thumbs in a jar, photo depicting a "tranny" (his term) with cum on her face etc. Now that's great TV.

its on my dvr.
turasultana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turasultana For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
totally watching it. I like Miles best so far . I agree about the girl who took the naked pix of herself (bad with names) - i heard she as Jeff Koons assistant though which makes her slightly more interesting.

last episode with auto fellatio, cut off thumbs in a jar, photo depicting a "tranny" (his term) with cum on her face etc. Now that's great TV.

its on my dvr.

YAY! What did you think about the 3 little "bomb-heads" winning? I thought they were pretty good but I actually liked the weird Mickey Mouse thing that Miles did and that very disturbing panty triptych.

The whole show is interesting to see what the artists were thinking as they created and how they are translating their ideas into different mediums. I fucking LOVE this show and hope it makes it several seasons
Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I'm watching it and totally loving it!! (and I, too, am hooked on Project Runway...and now this new obsession! lol)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

turasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputationturasultana Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
YAY! What did you think about the 3 little "bomb-heads" winning? I thought they were pretty good but I actually liked the weird Mickey Mouse thing that Miles did and that very disturbing panty triptych.

The whole show is interesting to see what the artists were thinking as they created and how they are translating their ideas into different mediums. I fucking LOVE this show and hope it makes it several seasons
i think the bomb heads were good, would have been better with his original vision of 8 (or 9). I was rooting for the mickey mouse thing too - so cool with all the genitalia with in it, and loved that he felt to complete it he had to cum on it. without any bravado or posturing - he just knew that's what had to happen.

that panty triptych was totally creepy, loved the saturated colors. was surprised they didn't want to at least discuss it.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turasultana View Post
i think the bomb heads were good, would have been better with his original vision of 8 (or 9). I was rooting for the mickey mouse thing too - so cool with all the genitalia with in it, and loved that he felt to complete it he had to cum on it. without any bravado or posturing - he just knew that's what had to happen.

that panty triptych was totally creepy, loved the saturated colors. was surprised they didn't want to at least discuss it.

Ok, I kinda love you for seeing that lack of bravado and posturing in Miles. I do encounter a lot of people who make art for a living who are pretentious, posturing twits (and lets face it, art is an incredibly personal process for most folks) and was reading some of that in the lady - I cant remember her name - who did that terrible cover for "Pride and Prejudice" where she wrote it backwards and kinda refused to look outside of her own process.
I did think that some of her previous work had been really beautiful but that particular challenge caused her work to be at a point where you could tell she had just kinda thrown up her hands and said "fuck it, Im gonna do what I want to do."

And did you see where Miles had said that the younger dark-haired girl was incredibly attractive but said that (and now I think her name was Judith) finger-paint lady was also incredibly attractive. I fell in a little bit of love with him for not being ageist <3

I still cant believe that they got to see the actual "Piss Christ" and have the artist judge their work!!! What an honor!
Old 07-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

I think I need to watch this, when is it on?

I reckon I could google...

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
I think I need to watch this, when is it on?

I reckon I could google...
Ive been DVR'ing it but I think the new episodes are on Bravo on Wednesday nights???

It's worth it - You'll love it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I will SO be watching this show! What a neat concept!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Definitely!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

Quote:
Ok, I kinda love you for seeing that lack of bravado and posturing in Miles. I do encounter a lot of people who make art for a living who are pretentious, posturing twits (and lets face it, art is an incredibly personal process for most folks) and was reading some of that in the lady - I cant remember her name - who did that terrible cover for "Pride and Prejudice" where she wrote it backwards and kinda refused to look outside of her own process.
I did think that some of her previous work had been really beautiful but that particular challenge caused her work to be at a point where you could tell she had just kinda thrown up her hands and said "fuck it, Im gonna do what I want to do."

And did you see where Miles had said that the younger dark-haired girl was incredibly attractive but said that (and now I think her name was Judith) finger-paint lady was also incredibly attractive. I fell in a little bit of love with him for not being ageist <3

I still cant believe that they got to see the actual "Piss Christ" and have the artist judge their work!!! What an honor!
I know I was so surprised they showed Piss Christ and had the actual artist there. Gotta love bravo for that.

Judith was stuck on her idea of "fine art" vs commercial. Since this was a book cover - she couldn't be bothered.

Bent - Yes watch it!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Ok just finished watching this week's episode....****SPOILER ALERT***** for those who haven't watched yet, skip reading this if you don't want to know who won the challenge!

Jaclyn won....and I recognize that she has changed her view from taking pics of herself to taking pics of people LOOKING at her...but sorry, I am still not feeling her work at all! I thought Miles deserved the win...I LOVED his piece!

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
Old 07-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #15
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Ok just finished watching this week's episode....****SPOILER ALERT***** for those who haven't watched yet, skip reading this if you don't want to know who won the challenge!

Jaclyn won....and I recognize that she has changed her view from taking pics of herself to taking pics of people LOOKING at her...but sorry, I am still not feeling her work at all! I thought Miles deserved the win...I LOVED his piece!
I agree. the judges are so enamored with her, but while I thought her photos were interesting, and the mirror panels made it better, the white splodges were... too big? too obvious? I don't know. I like Miles.

Glad that bland boring girl got booted. cheese central. Although mr. cool needs to get it together and stop with the self portraits. Unless that's his thing, then he should do a series or something.

love miles.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

now that the west coast has seen it... giving the thread a bump.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #17
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Im with you both on the winner:

SPOLIER: DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED THIS WEEK'S EPISODE:

So, Im beginning to think that Jacklyn's work, or at least all of them so far, have been a study in narcissism. Although I do have to say that I liked her work this week much, much better than anything she has done so far. The white splotches were cheesy - something that felt like a deliberate attempt to be "edgy" or...I dunno...a way to blur the faces as an attempt to hide her love of exhibitionism.
Im also irritated by how many times she has asked other people to think for her about her "next step".

I did like Miles's work this week but my FAVE was Abdi! That portrait of the cheeserific smiling race-car driver was so fun and bursting wit forced joy. The labels all over the outfit were pretty great. It was almost a throwback to how people will feel better about themselves based on what car they drive or what label they can wear and the smile on the portrait that Abdi painted felt like an ode to that

I HATED the "rock around the clock" thing. It looked like a crazed 5th-grade art project.

I also hated the collage with the half-woman, half-car thing that whats-his-name did as an ode to his girlfriend. It felt kinda flat or something, a little too myspacey.

I was glad to see the other guy who usually does photography step out of his box this week but agreed that his map-portrait looked like art in a hotel room. I hope he doesnt go home next because I think he is talented.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
turasultana

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
spoken for

Quote:
Im with you both on the winner:

SPOLIER: DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED THIS WEEK'S EPISODE:

So, Im beginning to think that Jacklyn's work, or at least all of them so far, have been a study in narcissism. Although I do have to say that I liked her work this week much, much better than anything she has done so far. The white splotches were cheesy - something that felt like a deliberate attempt to be "edgy" or...I dunno...a way to blur the faces as an attempt to hide her love of exhibitionism.
Im also irritated by how many times she has asked other people to think for her about her "next step".

I did like Miles's work this week but my FAVE was Abdi! That portrait of the cheeserific smiling race-car driver was so fun and bursting wit forced joy. The labels all over the outfit were pretty great. It was almost a throwback to how people will feel better about themselves based on what car they drive or what label they can wear and the smile on the portrait that Abdi painted felt like an ode to that

I HATED the "rock around the clock" thing. It looked like a crazed 5th-grade art project.

I also hated the collage with the half-woman, half-car thing that whats-his-name did as an ode to his girlfriend. It felt kinda flat or something, a little too myspacey.

I was glad to see the other guy who usually does photography step out of his box this week but agreed that his map-portrait looked like art in a hotel room. I hope he doesnt go home next because I think he is talented.
I forgot about Abdi - I've liked all his stuff so far. His very first painting was awesome.

Yeah the photographers' "map" was bad. maybe with different colors and a more kinetic feel it could have worked, maybe. but as it was. no.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #19
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Dang - I saw somewhere online that they had given the go-ahead for a second season and I wish they'd hurry up! I LOVE this show!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #20
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

I saw that there was a new post in the thread and got all excited because I thought that maybe someone had heard if a new season was starting or not. Sigh...I wish they'd hurry up too!