Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Ebola, news and discussion

I wanted to talk about the Ebola virus, but didn't want to take over the news thread.

What is the latest news?

What are your fears?

Are you doing anything different to insure your/your family's safety, just in case of epidemic?

Let's talk!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am very concerned about this virus based on what i know/don't know about our preparedness for an epidemic.

I know that labs, hospitals, the CDC and the Government working together is a nightmare waiting to happen. The Government is slloooowwww to react and take responcibility, the CDC says States need to be in charge. Do labs have the ability to handle this type of special virus for a large number of blood samples? Do mortuaries know what to do?

We have begun to take precautions here...stockpiling food, water, gloves, masks, sanitizer and other household items, in the event that we need to stay out of public areas as much as possible. If not needed for this, then we have better earthquake supplies! Lol

While i know theorectically we are in much better shape than Africa is to fight the spread, we have seen how easily (sending home Mr. Duncun with a 103* fever, or a careless hospital) ebola is spread. What if he had gone to a sporting event and sneezed on a few people, or used the restroom and body fluids might have mingled on the faucets or door handles?

Or worse yet, what if somebody infected WANTED to infect others as with HIV/AIDS? One person infects 5, who infect 25, who infect?????
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

You beat me to the punch.

The latest news that I have heard: I awoke this morning to discover that a second person has been diagnosed with Ebola...a nurse who cared for Thomas Duncan.

Not surprising. I think it will get worse before it gets better. I don't think the CDC is telling all they know for fear of "panic from the people."

My fears are that this virus not only takes advantage of human mistakes as most contagious things are apt to do, but that every time it copies itself, it mutates causing it to change the way it behaves. Conceivably, the virus could become contagious via airborne methods if it mutates in just the right way. No one can say what it will do though. "They" say it is unlikely, but "they" have said a lot of things that are not based in truth.

What am I doing differently: I am even more conscientious with regard to hand washing than I was before. Not OCD about it, just thorough and often. I went through my first aid preps and made sure that I have adequate supplies. Other than that just stay informed about what Ebola is, how it is transmitted at this time and how to prevent getting it.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Having had much of my family that had been allover the globe in the service of this country I have always been prepared for something to happen no matter if it was a weather related event of some other thing happening that my family should be ready to handle it as much as we can.One of the room's hear has a huge walk in closet we have made into a large pantry,it has a fairly large amount of medical supplies.There several boxes of m.r.e's that we keep adding to as we go along,can goods and plenty of water as well as water purification kits,food and meds for the fur kids,battrie's of all kinds plus chargers for them.Last year my son put in secondary power system's both gas and disel and recently he bought some solar panels to put on the roof.Extra clothes and bedding are also included,for our protection we are fully loaded with various types of weapon's.I realise it sounds like a bit much but after what happen in NOLA after Katrina I figure being safe is priority one.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
Having had much of my family that had been allover the globe in the service of this country I have always been prepared for something to happen no matter if it was a weather related event of some other thing happening that my family should be ready to handle it as much as we can.One of the room's hear has a huge walk in closet we have made into a large pantry,it has a fairly large amount of medical supplies.There several boxes of m.r.e's that we keep adding to as we go along,can goods and plenty of water as well as water purification kits,food and meds for the fur kids,battrie's of all kinds plus chargers for them.Last year my son put in secondary power system's both gas and disel and recently he bought some solar panels to put on the roof.Extra clothes and bedding are also included,for our protection we are fully loaded with various types of weapon's.I realise it sounds like a bit much but after what happen in NOLA after Katrina I figure being safe is priority one.
I was on vacation the week of Katrina, and i found myself watching the news nearly 24/7, horrified at what was happening to the people. With ebola i have visions of some of the same problems getting medical care, food and supplies to a large number of people who will be spread out over a huge country. Who will come first in care and support? The rich? Poor and working folk?

Scary
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
You beat me to the punch.

The latest news that I have heard: I awoke this morning to discover that a second person has been diagnosed with Ebola...a nurse who cared for Thomas Duncan.

Not surprising. I think it will get worse before it gets better. I don't think the CDC is telling all they know for fear of "panic from the people."

My fears are that this virus not only takes advantage of human mistakes as most contagious things are apt to do, but that every time it copies itself, it mutates causing it to change the way it behaves. Conceivably, the virus could become

contagious via airborne methods if it mutates in just the right way. No one can say what it will do though. "They" say it is unlikely, but "they" have said a lot of things that are not based in truth.

What am I doing differently: I am even more conscientious with regard to hand washing than I was before. Not OCD about it, just thorough and often. I went

through my first aid preps and made sure that I have adequate supplies. Other than that just stay informed about what Ebola is, how it is transmitted at this time and how to prevent getting it.
I think your fears are well founded, as at a very basic level we have our health care workers (already streched to their limits), tasked with the responcibility of not letting their guard down for one second, and of not letting even one case of ebola slip by them. That, topped with our rapidly approaching flu season (which mimics the symptoms), brings me dread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #7
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I don't only have concerns about Ebola but also about Marburg.

Anyone read this news item in CNN? There was nothing about it in the news. As easily as Duncan came into the USA, anyone can. I do not have a lot of faith in the airport "screening".

If someone is not running a temperature when they get here, they could be in the prodomal stage (interval from onset of nonspecific signs and symptoms- to more specific symptoms. During this time, microorganisms grow and multiply, and the infected person may be more capable of spreading disease to others).

"99 in Uganda quarantined after Marburg virus death

From Samson Ntale, for CNN
updated 9:29 AM EDT, Wed October 8, 2014

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
30-year-old male health worker in Uganda dies of Marburg
Marburg is an Ebola-like hemorrhagic fever
99 put into isolation
At least 11 test negative

Kampala, Uganda -- (CNN) -- Three days after a fatal case of Marburg hemorrhagic fever was diagnosed in Uganda, 99 people have been quarantined in four different locations across the East African country, as field epidemiologists and surveillance officers continue to closely monitor all people who got into contact with only victim.

More than 60 health workers form the bulk of people under quarantine after they were identified as having contact with a 30-year old male health worker who died September 28 of Marburg -- an Ebola-like hemorrhagic fever.

"As of today, a total of 99 contacts are under follow up. All the contacts are still in a healthy condition," Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, director general for health services in Uganda, said in the latest update on the outbreak on Tuesday.

"The National Taskforce through the field epidemiologists and surveillance officers continues to closely monitor all people who got into contact with this confirmed case," she noted.

"However, for those who continue to have signs, tests will be run again after three days," Dr. Aceng said.

Among those who tested negative include are the brother of the deceased; two health workers from a children HIV/AIDS hospital; seven persons from Mpigi Health Center IV; and two relatives of the deceased who participated in the burial.

Marburg virus was first identified in 1967, when 31 people became sick in Germany and Yugoslavia in an outbreak that was eventually traced back to laboratory monkeys imported from Uganda. Since then the virus has appeared sporadically, with just a dozen outbreaks on record, many -- including the current situation -- involving just a single patient.

Marburg virus causes symptoms similar to Ebola, beginning with fever and weakness and often leading to internal or external bleeding, organ failure and death. The death rate runs as high as 80 percent, although it was significantly lower in the initial outbreak when patients were cared for in relatively modern, European hospitals.

The most recent outbreak, also in Uganda, in 2012, killed four out of 15 patients, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Tuesday, CDC Director Thomas Frieden pointed to the most recent Marburg case as an example of how a deadly virus could be contained.

"I mention this, because oftentimes in public health, what gets noticed is what happens and it's hard to see what doesn't happen," Frieden continued, noting that there have so far been no additional cases. "That may not make headlines, but it does give us confidence that we can control Ebola in West Africa."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health...marburg-death/

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
femmsational

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitch, but she will do
Relationship Status:
Spoiled beyond rotten!

Thanked 3,788 Times in 773 Posts
femmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputationfemmsational Has the BEST Reputation

Normally things don't bother me but this has me terrified.

The CDC isn't educating ANYONE as they should.

The administration doesn't seem to realize the danger that is poses to us if we don't rethink how we are reacting to travel from the countries hit the hardest with this thing. And if there are cases popping up in countries we have open travel with......we have to be honest about the risks.

My main problem is the lack of urgency shown by the CDC. The more they minimize it, the more ignorance is going to be the cause of this spreading. I'm not advocating creating a major scale panic by any means but if the treating team at a hospital doesn't understand how to keep themselves safe, how is the general public supposed to understand.

I'm sure most people would think this is totally stupid but I've dealt with at least 15 outbreaks of Equine Encephalitis. It's spread exactly as the CDC and medical professionals say Ebola is. It is a major problem. The danger point is when it hasn't quite been diagnosed. That horse, or person in this case is contagious and nobody knows about it. There is a strict protocol on how to deal with it after it's diagnosed. A specific way to don protective gear and an even stricter one to take it off. Bleach, disinfectant and quarantine are vital to kill the pathogen. I think if people want to know how to stay safe with Ebola if they are in a zone where it's visable, they should research Encephalitis protocol. As weird as that sounds.

As for what I'm doing differently?? So far I'm not overly concerned about me or the immediate family around here. It's AJ I'm worried about. He's driving all over the country in a semi-truck having to touch all kinds of things that the general public touches everyday. Less than sanitary to say the least. He's got gloves, germ-x and bleach. And when he has his home time in three weeks I'll be teaching him how to disinfect stuff and to put on, but more importantly, take OFF protective gear.

I know I sound like a crazy person but seriously, if anyone's dealt with an encephalitis outbreak at a major equine center, they'd understand why I sound like a cracked nut.

Sorry, I rambled.

Yes, I'm aware I can't spell, and no, I don't care quite enough to spell check. Sorry!!!
femmsational is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to femmsational For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

Would you mind explaining to us how to safely remove protective gear? Do you dispose of it? How? Can you wash it?

Handling things others have touched makes my skin crawl. (During these super cootie days) think about it.... fast food ... groceries ... magazines in offices...ewwww.

This is enough to make you get your zombie apocalypse gear ready.
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
I was on vacation the week of Katrina, and i found myself watching the news nearly 24/7, horrified at what was happening to the people. With ebola i have visions of some of the same problems getting medical care, food and supplies to a large number of people who will be spread out over a huge country. Who will come first in care and support? The rich? Poor and working folk?

Scary

It was crazy in NOLA at that time,a group from where I worked wen't to cook for the people,I never have cooked so much food in such a short time as I did then.We slept on the floor in sleeping bags,no showers any where,the port-a-potty's were in rows by the hundreds it looked like.It was the people of Louisiana who stepped up to the plate to help the needy while the government drug it's ass.I hope nothing like this happen's in my home town.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

I think I'm more concerned about foreign travelers bringing that infectious dreaded disease of Ebola over here via air travel. I've studied microbiology, my cousin's wife is a Microbiologist and works at the Lab that tested Duncan's blood sample in Austin, TX. She says not to panic and that the news is making people more fearful than they should be of this disease because it's not airborne. She also says You should be just as concerned about flu virus that has caused many many deaths that IS an airborne virus and that has been known to cause Pandemic outbreaks killing thousands across the Globe.
Me, I'm fearful of it spreading from traveling foreigners lying to airport personnel about being in direct contact with someone that is ill with Ebola and then doing what Duncan did and come to the US.
IT also makes me wonder if he lied in hopes of getting treatment here because he knew he had been in direct contact with someone that was sick with it and was coming here just in case he got sick so he could get better treatment in the states than in Lyberia where he is from, even though he said his reason was for visiting family here. I dunno, all this makes me shiver a bit . I"m not going to full out panic, but I am watching the news here closely in Dallas, I live an hour East of there.

I know it's harsh, but I think travel from African countries should be terminated so as NOT to spread this dreadful disease to other countries. Let the CDC and healthcare workers get those countries educated and in control before travel can resume. Just my .02 and it may be a harsh .02.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
EnchantedNightDweller

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:
Being single is a good thing and I like it.

Thanked 2,462 Times in 803 Posts
EnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST Reputation

It's just so close to home. I'm in Fort Worth. And I work in a school with a LARGE African population. I hope they can keep it contained. And I hope the government isn't lying to us about the true nature of the epidemic.
EnchantedNightDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedNightDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Yes Enchanted I also hope our Government isn't lying to us BUT.. I have to say, if someone from our Government told me it was raining outside, I would have to get up and go to the window and check myself! That's just how much I distrust our Government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Is the CDC minimizing or the media maximizing?

This reminds me very much of the fervor surrounding AIDS in the early 80’s except with this we know what it is and in this country you would pretty much have to try to get it by placing yourself in danger of direct contact with bodily fluids from someone who is displaying symptoms and been in proximity to it. Hemorragic fevers have been around for a long time and transmission in a place that is aware of it and equipped to deal with it would be difficult in large numbers.

Would travel restrictions help? I doubt it, we can only close our borders to a point, air travelers come from all over and they could have started from anywhere.

Would I be careful in areas of likely contact? Yes.

Would I encourage the kind of hysteria that has been seen around leprosy, polio, and HIV? No. I think educated adults in a first world setting can stay out of harms way for the most part.

I believe I have a far greater chance of being killed by a drunk driver or a particularly nasty flu than Ebola. I have face masks and gloves in my regular emergency kit and a good pantry as always. The most difficult part for me right now is separating real information from hype.

I think civil unrest from mis-information is a real possibility though.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I don't only have concerns about Ebola but also about Marburg.

Anyone read this news item in CNN? There was nothing about it in the news. As easily as Duncan came into the USA, anyone can. I do not have a lot of faith in the airport "screening".

If someone is not running a temperature when they get here, they could be in the prodomal stage (interval from onset of nonspecific signs and symptoms- to more specific symptoms. During this time, microorganisms grow and multiply, and the infected person may be more capable of spreading disease to others).

"99 in Uganda quarantined after Marburg virus death

From Samson Ntale, for CNN
updated 9:29 AM EDT, Wed October 8, 2014

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
30-year-old male health worker in Uganda dies of Marburg
Marburg is an Ebola-like hemorrhagic fever
99 put into isolation
At least 11 test negative

Kampala, Uganda -- (CNN) -- Three days after a fatal case of Marburg hemorrhagic fever was diagnosed in Uganda, 99 people have been quarantined in four different locations across the East African country, as field epidemiologists and surveillance officers continue to closely monitor all people who got into contact with only victim.

More than 60 health workers form the bulk of people under quarantine after they were identified as having contact with a 30-year old male health worker who died September 28 of Marburg -- an Ebola-like hemorrhagic fever.

"As of today, a total of 99 contacts are under follow up. All the contacts are still in a healthy condition," Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, director general for health services in Uganda, said in the latest update on the outbreak on Tuesday.

"The National Taskforce through the field epidemiologists and surveillance officers continues to closely monitor all people who got into contact with this confirmed case," she noted.

"However, for those who continue to have signs, tests will be run again after

three days," Dr. Aceng said.

Among those who tested negative include are the brother of the deceased; two health workers from a children HIV/AIDS hospital; seven persons from Mpigi Health Center IV; and two relatives of the deceased who participated in the burial.

Marburg virus was first identified in 1967, when 31 people became sick in Germany and Yugoslavia in an outbreak that was eventually traced back to laboratory monkeys imported from Uganda. Since then the virus has appeared sporadically, with just a dozen outbreaks on record, many -- including the current situation -- involving just a single patient.

Marburg virus causes symptoms similar to Ebola, beginning with fever and weakness and often leading to internal or external bleeding, organ failure and death. The death rate runs as high as 80 percent, although it was significantly lower in the initial outbreak when patients were cared for in relatively modern, European hospitals.

The most recent outbreak, also in Uganda, in 2012, killed four out of 15 patients, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Tuesday, CDC Director Thomas Frieden pointed to the most recent Marburg case as an example of how a deadly virus could be contained.

"I mention this, because oftentimes in public health, what gets noticed is what happens and it's hard to see what doesn't happen," Frieden continued, noting that there have so far been no additional cases. "That may not make headlines, but it does give us confidence that we can control Ebola in West Africa."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health...marburg-death/
Thank you for alerting us to the Marburg virus, and the reminder that we need to act as if there is something we can catch right now!

Wash your hands frequently! Don't touch your face, mouth, eyes etc unless you have clean hands.

If nothing else, the flu will be here soon and you will be prepared!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Yes Enchanted I also hope our Government isn't lying to us BUT.. I have to say, if someone from our Government told me it was raining outside, I would have to get up and go to the window and check myself! That's just how much I distrust our Government!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen!

I have so many conspiracy theories about this outbreak of ebola! Fortunately they are probably just that: theories.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #17
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedNightDweller View Post
It's just so close to home. I'm in Fort Worth. And I work in a school with a LARGE African population. I hope they can keep it contained. And I hope the government isn't lying to us about the true nature of the epidemic.
Are you saying the children in your school live in Africa, or are they African Americans? If they are African Americans, why are you concerned? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
SunnySonja

How Do You Identify?:

SunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST ReputationSunnySonja Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Is the CDC minimizing or the media maximizing?

This reminds me very much of the fervor surrounding AIDS in the early 80’s except with this we know what it is and in this country you would pretty much have to try to get it by placing yourself in danger of direct contact with bodily fluids from someone who is displaying symptoms and been in proximity to it. Hemorragic fevers have been around for a long time and transmission in a place that is aware of it and equipped to deal with it would be difficult in large numbers.

Would travel restrictions help? I doubt it, we can only close our borders to a point, air travelers come from all over and they could have started from anywhere.

Would I be careful in areas of likely contact? Yes.

Would I encourage the kind of hysteria that has been seen around leprosy, polio, and HIV? No. I think educated adults in a first world setting can stay out of harms way for the most part.

I believe I have a far greater chance of being killed by a drunk driver or a particularly nasty flu than Ebola. I have face masks and gloves in my regular emergency kit and a good pantry as always. The most difficult part for me right now is separating real information from hype.

I think civil unrest from mis-information is a real possibility though.

What Kelt said!

The imminent panic will be the biggest hurdle we will have to face. Actually contracting Ebola is pretty tough to do.
SunnySonja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SunnySonja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

There is a pretty good outline of the situation in the New York Times updated today. It is compiled from CDC, WHO, Doctors Without Borders and others.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

I carry plenty of hand wipes with me when I am out,many public bathrooms don't have soap or anything else to wash hands with so bringing my own is the best way to keep germs at bay.I no longer shake hands,all my friends agreed on fist bumps or elbow bumps of some sort,people I just meet I just say hello glad to meet ya..if they offer a hand shake I tell them why I would rather not.Yeah,I get some funny looks but I feel better this way.
I agree we should restrict people from countries with Ebola or any other disease from coming hear till it's sure they aren't carrying some bug,plus our people shouldn't be going to places that have a problem as well.I know it puts a cramp in travel plans but safety first will save a lot of of people from being sick.I live three hours from Dallas,where our airport isn't a major hub it dose get people from a lot of places,I would hate to see that mess started hear.My fear is people not telling about where they have been or of they have been around anyone with a communicable disease,if they don't tell the truth Instant quarentean (?) for as long as nessarry(? again,not in my dictionary either).I know that's harsh but if you have, to do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post: