Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #21
EnchantedNightDweller

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:
Being single is a good thing and I like it.

Thanked 2,462 Times in 803 Posts
EnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
Are you saying the children in your school live in Africa, or are they African Americans? If they are African Americans, why are you concerned? Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
Of course I'm not concerned about my African American brothers and sisters! No, I work with a large population of immigrants from Somalia. They are wonderful people and I would never act any differently around anyone. I hug all my kids and sometimes the parents too. If I die, then I just die. Lol
EnchantedNightDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedNightDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #22
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedNightDweller View Post
Of course I'm not concerned about my African American brothers and sisters! No, I work with a large population of immigrants from Somalia. They are wonderful people and I would never act any differently around anyone. I hug all my kids and sometimes the parents too. If I die, then I just die. Lol

I think if your children have contact with persons coming from the effected areas of Africa, then there is reason for concern! Hopefully all of the steps they are taking to make sure infected people don't get into the general population will work. I have my doubts.

If (and we hope it doesn't) this virus spreads, then there shouldn't be any hugging or physical contact as not only would you be at risk, but you could spread the virus to other children or

their families.

I'm not lecturing you, you probably know all of this yourself and will take all precautions needed.

Thank you for clarifying your post, I appreciate it very much.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 AM   #23
EnchantedNightDweller

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:

EnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST ReputationEnchantedNightDweller Has the BEST Reputation

I think if someone who is infected enters an environment like an elementary school we are all doomed. It would spread like wildfire. It wouldn't matter if I hugged a kid or not. Just look at the people in the hazmat gear on the news. The nurse in Dallas wearing the hazmat gear caught it anyway. In my opinion, the CDC needs to do more to ensure that these folks that are supposed to be quarantined are not out and about.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #24
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Thanked 11,244 Times in 2,753 Posts
SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I want to talk about a different angle on this thing, the dogs that are testing positive for Ebola. That terrifies me and not in the sense that I'm afraid I'm going to get it from a dog but because of the recent euthanasia of the Spanish pup Excalibur.

The Dallas nurse who has tested positive for the virus has a dog as well. Her dog tested positive. They do not believe that it can be transmitted from dog to human but it definitely can be transmitted from person to dog.

The Mayor of Dallas says they aren't going to euthanize her dog, which I am happy about because if I were her, sick in the hospital, I wouldn't be able to concentrate on healing if I knew my dogs were in danger of being killed. An article today said that her dog is held up in her apartment and being monitored by the humane society.

I fear that this thing will set off such a panic that people will find out where she lives and kill her dog themselves.

Yes, of course I care about the people. I'm an RN myself. I was in Fort Worth the weekend that the first patient got admitted to the hospital. But I'm also an avid animal lover and don't think that dogs should be put down before we even know what is going on with this thing.

You cannot embrace those things that will not embrace you back.
SleepyButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #25
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default There is no documented case of Ebola spreading to people from dogs, but at least one major study suggests dogs can get the disease

I hope it does not prove to be true. I have not read the study that said dogs can get it without showing symptoms. I don't know who did the study or what kind of statistics they have but will try to find it. I hope the study is validated before people are reactive.

From USA Today:

Unlike in Spain, Dallas Ebola patient's dog will be saved

Rick Jervis, USA TODAY 7:27 a.m. EDT October 13, 2014

DALLAS — The health care worker who tested positive for Ebola has a dog, but the mayor of Dallas says unlike in a recent Spanish case, the dog will be kept safe for eventual reunion with its owner.

Mayor Mike Rawlings told USA TODAY that the dog remained in the health care worker's apartment when she was hospitalized and will soon be sent to a new location to await its owner's recovery.

There are no plans to euthanize the dog, he said.

"This was a new twist," Rawlings said. "The dog's very important to the patient and we want it to be safe."

There were no immediate details on the name or type of dog.

In patient's neighborhood, business as usual — almost-. Brad Smith, of CG Environmental, will lead the effort to decontaminate the patient's East Dallas apartment. He said he has been alerted that the patient's dog is still inside and will work with members of the local SPCA branch and Dallas animal control officials to remove it from the apartment.

"We'll assist with that," Smith said. "We have the (personal protection equipment) that needs to be worn."

In Spain, the Madrid regional government said last Wednesday that it had euthanized Excalibur, the pet of the Spanish nursing assistant being treated. The dog was sedated to avoid suffering. After death its corpse was "put into a sealed biosecurity device and transferred for incineration at an authorized disposal facility," according to a statement from the Madrid government, Associated Press reported.

Spanish officials said the dog was killed because it posed a risk of transmitting the disease to humans. There is no documented case of Ebola spreading to people from dogs, but at least one major study suggests dogs can get the disease without showing symptoms. Experts say they are uncertain what risk that poses to humans.

The Spanish health ministry said the nursing assistant, Teresa Romero Ramos, is in stable condition and showing signs of "slight improvement," the AP reported Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...-dog/17159727/

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #26
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

The study on dogs was done by CDC researchers in March, 2005.

If you have interest in reading the study:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #27
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

I still have a concern about Humans as well as dog transmission. If humans can spread Ebola to Dogs, then what will it take for that transmission to become the reverse and how long could that take. I also wonder if it affects the animal in the same ways it affects humans, can it kill them? If dogs can get it from humans, can they spread it to other dogs? I have tons of questions about this that there seems to be no information on that I can find.

As with the Equine disease that made the vector jump to humans, as well as the swine flu making vector jumps to humans, and bird flu making vector jumps to humans, what's to say this can't be done over time with Ebola making that vector jump from dogs to humans.

It's already been said that humans eating infected fruit bats as a delicacy made an ingestion jump to humans, what's to stop that ingestion jump from dogs to humans in countries where dog meat is a delicacy?
I know it's difficult to talk about this, but I just thought I'd bring it up.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The thought of my dog suffering from Ebola bothers me more than having it myself. I know that thinking is hard for some people to understand, but animal lovers know what i mean.

All of this makes me want to go live in the hills with my family, away from everyone. Over-reaction i know, but frankly I'm getting really nervous.

Thank you for posting the study Anya, now off to read it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I read a couple of articles the other day regarding dogs and Ebola. One said dogs can get Ebola but it runs it course with few to little symptoms and doesn't effect them like it does humans and other animals. The other said dogs have antibodies and though they do not contract the virus they are carriers.

Here is an interesting article from the World Health Organization about Ebola. In one section it states that Ebola is transferred from many sorts of animals in the wild.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #30
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Just to keep facts straight...the nurse in Dallas who was wearing the hazmat gear was exposed to the Ebola virus due to a suspected "breach in protocol." I am clarifying this because I think it is vitally important that we keep to the facts as much as possible when reporting anything pertaining to Ebola so that we are not spreading undue fear throughout our community.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health...pen/index.html

Quote:
I think if someone who is infected enters an environment like an elementary school we are all doomed. It would spread like wildfire. It wouldn't matter if I hugged a kid or not. Just look at the people in the hazmat gear on the news. The nurse in Dallas wearing the hazmat gear caught it anyway. In my opinion, the CDC needs to do more to ensure that these folks that are supposed to be quarantined are not out and about.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #31
Trev

How Do You Identify?:
Just a good ole boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male ones
Relationship Status:
She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy

Thanked 10,142 Times in 2,400 Posts
Trev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST ReputationTrev Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kansas City patient at risk for Ebola

Kansas City patient at risk for Ebola http://www.kctv.com/story/26775426/h...risk-for-ebola

Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #32
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Here is a link to the CDC about animals and dogs and exposure to Ebola and what they know and don't know about transmission of the disease and animals.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas-pets.html
Old 10-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #33
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

SleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST ReputationSleepyButch Has the BEST Reputation

I'm watching the news and they are saying the reason the nurse in Dallas was infected was because of a breech in protocol. I imagine she didn't take her protective gear off correctly. We are all human, unfortunately it happens.

The NBC news camera guy who contracted the Ebola virus in Liberia has taken a turn for the better with his health says the doctors who are caring for him. So people do get through it, which is a good thing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #34
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation
Default cnn is calling ebola caregivers brave

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/12/he...rebar_facebook

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #35
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post
I'm watching the news and they are saying the reason the nurse in Dallas was infected was because of a breech in protocol. I imagine she didn't take her protective gear off correctly. We are all human, unfortunately it happens.

The NBC news camera guy who contracted the Ebola virus in Liberia has taken a turn for the better with his health says the doctors who are caring for him. So people do get through it, which is a good thing.
So far in Africa there is approximately a 50/50 chance of dying; but of course that is with the reported cases. I would hope with western medicine we would have better chances here, but i don't know that for certain.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #36
purepisces

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Just a girl in love with the world

Thanked 1,607 Times in 491 Posts
purepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputationpurepisces Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyButch View Post

I fear that this thing will set off such a panic that people will find out where she lives and kill her dog themselves.
I'm happy to say that the dog is in the custody of Dallas Animal Services at an undisclosed location.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #37
SleepyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Dude
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him
Relationship Status:
Taken

Great. I am very happy to hear this. Thanks for posting!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SleepyButch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #38
EnchantedNightDweller

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Just to keep facts straight...the nurse in Dallas who was wearing the hazmat gear was exposed to the Ebola virus due to a suspected "breach in protocol." I am clarifying this because I think it is vitally important that we keep to the facts as much as possible when reporting anything pertaining to Ebola so that we are not spreading undue fear throughout our community.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/health...pen/index.html
I sincerely hope whoever is feeding CNN the information is right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedNightDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #39
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
I sincerely hope whoever is feeding CNN the information is right.
The CDC is in Dallas in large numbers as of midnight last night and they are going over the protocol for caregivers keeping safe and doing more training according to the news tonight from Dallas and from the CDC reports today. The CDC is the the information provider to televised stations across the country with CNN being part of that. Also, the Dallas Dept. Health is heavily involved and giving information televised at the same time during the news broadcasts via telephone. I've watched the news just about everyday since the outbreak.
They don't actually know what caused the transmission but "assume " it was an innocent and accidental breach in protocol. The CDC and the Presbytarian hospital along with the Dallas Health dept are doing extensive research into how this may have happened; they are also trying to calm the fears of other hospital employees and other surrounding hospital employees and healthcare workers in informational meetings as well as to the public.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM   #40
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

Default UN health worker dies in Germany hospital

14 October 2014 Last updated at 06:54 ET

The Ebola patient was being treated at St Georg hospital in Leipzig

A United Nations medical worker infected with Ebola has died at a hospital in Germany. Doctors at the hospital in Leipzig said the man, 56, originally from Sudan, died despite receiving experimental drugs to treat the virus.

The outbreak has killed more than 4,000 people since March - mostly in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and Nigeria.

The World Health Organization says the outbreak is the "the most severe, acute health emergency in modern times".

The man had been working as a UN medical official in Liberia - one of the worst affected countries - when he caught Ebola.

He arrived in Germany last Thursday for treatment and was put into a hermetically sealed ward, accessed through airlock systems.

"Despite intensive medical measures and maximum efforts by the medical team, the 56-year-old UN employee succumbed to the serious infectious disease," a statement from St Georg hospital said.

He was the second member of the UN team in Liberia to die from the virus, the BBC's Jenny Hill in Berlin says.

He was the third Ebola patient to be treated for the deadly virus in Germany after contracting the disease in the outbreak zone in West Africa.

Front-line health workers are at high risk of contamination

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is alarmed by the number of health workers who have been exposed to the disease.

The WHO has warned the epidemic threatens the "very survival" of societies and could lead to failed states.

Note: figures have occasionally been revised down as suspected or probable cases are found to be unrelated to Ebola. They do not include one death in the US recorded on 8 October.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29611713

~Washington Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: