Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #21
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

I cycle to work and back. In london, it was the only reasonable way to get around if you don't live near a tube station or if you didn't feel like spending massive amounts of money on the tube (expensive mode of transport). I also used to cycle to uni in vancouver, toronto and victoria. I gave up my car many years ago as I found I loved cycling much much more.

In Oxford, everything is so close, it's ridiculous to not cycle. I can cyle from one side of oxford to the other in about 40 minutes at the very most. I could cycle to work (by oxford airport about 7 miles away) as it's only about 45 minutes but I was working from home for a few months and I need to work my way back up to it again. Right now I do about 5 miles to work and then hop the bus.

I don't have the best bike so I'm not sure how much it's going to take, but as parts expire I get them replaced with better quality bits.

I can't cycle without a wide, plushy female seat. I get hideous ingrown hairs and swollen, sore glands in my crotch.

I have bursitis so if the seat isn't up high enough (re: I can juuuuust barely touch the ground with the very tip of my toes) it gets inflamed. If I have to stop I just hop forward and keep one foot on the pedal, one on the ground with the bar between my legs. Once it's ok to go again I push my foot down on the pedal, which moved the bike forward and gives me a lift back onto my seat.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #22
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

My thought for the morning, as soon I will be getting on my bicycle to go to work......why did we, for all those years, ride on that silly wedge thing they called a seat? I think I did alot of standing. CRAZY! Be comfortable.

If this wide seat concept starts to catch on, I will once again have a quick release on my seat post and start taking my seat with me,,,,lol

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

ugh. Not a fan of quick release anything. I'd rather lock my tires to the bike with small U locks (london necessity or they would be gone when you got back to your bike whether they were quick release or not!). But I can't ever get the quick release tight enough to not slowly push the bar into my bike as I sit on it. Probably because of my fat arse. So it's a super tight bolt. Best thing to do in london (but outside london I never had a problem with people stealing my seats) was to put a few pieces of duct tape across a new seat to make it look like it's been torn and repaired with tape. Cover seat with plastic bag and tie handles (like a cheap rain hat) when not on it. It means people have to a) remove the crappy plastic bag (and generally people with money don't cover their seats with plastic bags) and b) seat is obviously damaged due to duct tape over it.

only way I managed to not get my seat stolen. But it did work!
The Following User Says Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #24
Daktari

I loved cycling in Oxford honeybarbara. Although I did only do it for a fortnight whilst on the oddest visit to a person I've ever had but that's a whole other story. It tickled me to cycle past where Roger Bannister ran the first 4 minute mile.

My wheels are quick release but I've bound the levers to the forks with multiple zip ties until I can afford locking skewers. I carry a plastic back between the rails of my saddle for such wet weather service as you mention honeybarbarbara.

Yellow band, I can't cycle with a wide saddle, they're uncomfortable for my for skinny arse and apparently quite narrow sit bones. I'm hoping that the new (rather much more) narrow saddle will do the trick.

Meeep! I think I did a few too many miles last week and should have built up a little more gently to the 25 miler. My arthritic hips and knees have rebelled so have just been doing some more gentle 5's and a 10 tonight but it was at the limit of what my sore joints could cope with. Live and learn, live and learn.

Happy pedaling
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #25
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Well, let me say....a wide seat is different things to different people.

The seats my *chubby* friends have on their bikes, I couldn't use.

I have no ass at all. And I can not ride on that wedge. But I found a seat that is a seat, it's bigger than the wedge (and any gel seat i've ever had....)just like anything, one must shop around.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post

I have no ass at all. And I can not ride on that wedge. But I found a seat that is a seat, it's bigger than the wedge (and any gel seat i've ever had....)just like anything, one must shop around.
To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #27
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow band View Post

To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle (and cycle shorts) turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for nigh on 30 years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I have to start exercising more. I love to ride my bike, but unfortunately I was forced to sell it several years ago. I had a Schwin. It was such a wonderful bike. I am a big guy, and biking is hard on my knees, and hips. This bike was perfect for me. It hit me just right. It was actually a boys size bike since I am short 5'4". So now, I am in the market searching for a bike to ride around the neighborhood, and on bike trails. Any suggestions?
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #29
TickledPink

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Girly Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss Pink
Relationship Status:
Shacked UP

Location: The Holt-Mason Chateau Decherd/I'm a NashVegas Girl!
Thanked 1,998 Times in 607 Posts
TickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST Reputation

We are watching Le Tour de France as I type! I love cycling and found it to be quite addictive (thanks, Papa)! It can also be VERY expensive!

I love to ride. There's nothing like it. I HATE hills. They are quite a challenge to me but I am gonna' keep trying cos Tennessee is full of them!

We have a room full of bikes! I love to go in there and just feel their energy......ahhhhhh

My favorite is the one Papa bought for me: a Trek Lexa C. Her name is Cheetah and she is a sweet ride! I had the pleasure of riding her in my first-ever triathlon in May. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Great thread! Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Mountain biker here! Cannondale lover.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #31
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Ticks!

I thought I recognized you!!!

Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #32
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Mountain biker here! Cannondale lover.
*sob* I remember when my Cannondale got stolen!

In good news, however, I got my company's bike gear kit today (vest, jersey and shorts!)

I'll post pics when I get a chance but it's cool to have a company that is supportive of all types of activity (bicycling and running are the two top ones) and enough to allow logo/designs to appear on gear.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #33
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubus View Post
To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle (and cycle shorts) turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for nigh on 30 years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.
One of the big problems on the AIDS ride is saddle sores. It stopped me at 61 miles one day. Later in the ride one of the other riders suggested I have the seat "fitted". Apparently they have you sit on a gel mold thing that allows them to see the width of your sit bones and fit your seat according to that measurement. It made sense to me. As soon as I have a few extra bucks in my pocket I'm going to have it done.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #34
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Incubus, I'm the opposite. when I cycle in amsterdam (where my in laws are and we visit 3-4 times a year. they always give us their guest bikes so we can get around) I'm *always* impressed with how much easier it is on my body, those dutch bikes. I'm used to hunched over, pressure on my wrists, light weight quasi mountain bikes (city bikes). I do see people with dutch bikes in the UK and yeah, they look nice, yeah, they are Huuuuuge (for the tall and well built nordics), but they are impractical for any place that has a slight hill.

But jesus those things are comfortable for me. built like you could drive it into a wall several times, wheel locks, massive wheel base, completely covered to protect good clothing, high off the ground and wide seats for my ass and completely upright. I get no swollen bursitis pains, no saddle chafing, no sore wrists.

I *can* cycle to work, but I can't take the saddle sores (even with a moderately wide seat) and the aching wrists. So I have to work up to it.

I do love cycling in Oxford in many ways - cycling through all of the universities in the morning is lovely. All the side streets and many bikes... when it's sunny the gold gleaming of the sandstone buildings... but the thing I do not like is the people who drive in from the surrounding villages to work and back and their inability to drive *with* bikes. In London that was a good thing - people didn't crowd you. I was near suicidal on my bike and very gladitorial - I often zipped between double deckers, darted in and out of traffic and got very aggressive with people who didn't give me space.

here... even though it has a MASSIVE demographic of bike users, people seem to turn stupid about what a fucking bike lane is. it seems to mean, "pull into it when you want to turn that way or if you have a new car or are very intimidated about traffic getting too close to you."

I used to have an air horn on my bike - I may return to this for those cars.

Best thing about biking in Oxford - cycling home along the river, on the gravel pathways, after a couple of pints at the gay bar. Totally dark. In places can't see a thing. I find this amusing and slightly thrilling. I remember cycling on the gulf islands at night when visiting friends and camping - the same thrill of cycling in the complete dark...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #35
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
Hi Ticks!

I thought I recognized you!!!

Add two mirrors and a *top case* in the back and that will look very similar to my femme bike!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #36
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Default for TdF junkies

This is from bicycling magazine.....a slide show or Tour de France

http://ow.ly/5zsKh

Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 AM   #37
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

people seem to turn stupid about what a fucking bike lane is. it seems to mean, "pull into it when you want to turn that way or if you have a new car or are very intimidated about traffic getting too close to you."

I used to have an air horn on my bike - I may return to this for those cars.

Best thing about biking in Oxford - cycling home along the river, on the gravel pathways, after a couple of pints at the gay bar. Totally dark. In places can't see a thing. I find this amusing and slightly thrilling. I remember cycling on the gulf islands at night when visiting friends and camping - the same thrill of cycling in the complete dark...[/QUOTE]

As I live in one of the top ten bicycle progressive cities, we even have police on bicycles....it is against the law to pull up on the left of a bicylist
and then make a right hand turn (essentially they'd run us over, common sense right?) but it happens all the time and I wonder just how the law is enforced. Anyhow, I wear a bright yellow, glow in the dark vest and people are so distracted, sometimes they still don't see me. So, just like you ...I have the air horn and I have annoying turn signals. Although they don't flash, they beep (air horn tweeps) I use arm signals with out fail, and obey all traffic laws. Recently, a distracted driver was doing all kinds of stupid things and I had to blast the air horn at him, and then he was all swivel neck and finally saw me (as if I had just committed a crime, he copped an attitude) I arm signaled I was turning left and put the turn signal tweeps on.....he then pulled up beside me and yelled out the window *you're fucking kidding me right?* It's always the guilty screaming victim. I ignored him, and he drove off. So yes, get that air horn back on that bike. Your life is more important. People are too busy
with dash board dining, talking on the phone, texting- I often wonder who is driving the car. I don't care how obnoxious my bicycle is. If you can't see me, you will hear me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #38
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

I'm going to have to have the polite bell for the pedestrians strolling and not hearing me cycle up behind them on the shared paths, it happens and I'd hate to make them jump out of their skins with an air horn, and the air horn for the *&^%$ cars.

I'm an extremely aggressive cyclist. I get road rage, yell at cars, flip the bird a lot, cycle at three times the speed of most people in oxford (london too ingrained in my cycle system). Most people here don't wear helmets, don't wear vests, putter at "leisurely light cycle" mode even on the way to school in skirts/heels. I wear bike greasy dirt stained jogging trousers with heavy shirt (for pissing rain in summer) and reflective tape, bright helmet and a very, very assertive, aggressive loud bike demeanour. I stopped kicking cars when I started cycling in London cause I was afraid of someone kicking the crap out of me, but if someone gets too close - even though I'm pretty good with tight spaces with my bike - I swear and tap the door with my toe.

I was wondering if there was a such thing as signalling lights for my wrists! you've answered that question.

Amsterdam. Different animal. No one signals. people talk on the phone/text while cycling. I have NO idea what anyone is going to do when I get to a corner and it's thick with cycles pretty much everywhere. Amsterdam scares the shit out of me whenever I cycle there! Basically the only way it works is to just do what you want and and it seems to rythm work. I'm not sure how...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #39
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

You know, I gave up the airhorne. I used one for a while but it finally died. So I switch to a pealess whistle. This is awesome and deals with the pedestrians as well as the 14-wheeler trucks that sometimes potentially pass me.

I noticed that in California, a lot of people listen to their iPods with both headphones in their ears. I never understood why someone would do that.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #40
Daktari

How marvellous to see even more cyclists coming to join in the thread. I knew y'all had to be out there

Andrew...You might want to look at the women's compact frame bikes - they have crossbars like boys bikes. They're smaller frames, I know some short guys who ride them. They don't suit everyone though. I know girls who ride blokes frames because they're tall and the women's frames don't suit them. On the women's cycling forum I look in on quite a number of the women reckon that there's not much difference between the women's and men's frames in quite a number of the big brand names. We're talking road bikes here though not any other style of bike.

Diavolo... what was recommended for the saddle sores. Did you use Chamois Butt'r? Someone here has recommended Sudocreme for after rides. I can't afford a saddle fitting or the very expensive saddle they'd no doubt recommend.

Hey TickledPink... a triathalon, wow! Go you!! I'm not a fan of hills anymore now that I have 50% lung function, they really challenge me and I usually have to stop on the bigger inclines but like you I still make myself ride them. Once upon a time my training ground was the very hilly/mountainous Lake District (Cumbria UK)

honeybarbara... I loved cycling in Amsterdam when I used to visit regularly. Although riding after a coffeeshop visit was sometimes a errrrm! challenge

Yellow Band... There are far too many folks with bikes (those who own bikes rather than cyclists) who don't take any notice of the rules of the road and give drivers reason to think that cyclists in general are that stupid. I too follow the rules of the road, stop at lights etc and use clear arm signals, if one wants to be on the roads then one should follow the same rules as motorized road users. I would love an Airzound to wake up oblivious drivers.

I'm really glad that you guys share my exasperation with peds and motors. After coming back to riding after more than a decade I am quite alarmed at just how many more oblivious numpties are on the roads.

I am a very, very confident rider and will usually take up the primary position on the road when making manoeuvres because I believe doing so keeps me safer than being a more passive rider. I also refuse to ride in the gutter, why on earth would I ride over drain grids and potholes? I used to give a healthy kick to car doors if the driver cut me up or endangered me but I don't do that anymore because I too fear that they'll just stop and try to thump me. If a car passes me so closely that I can knock on their roof then they are endangering me so a knock on the roof usually wakes them up and generally gets me flip of the bird *shrugs*

Oh my Yellow Band, cycle lanes are another one of my soap-box topics.

I'm with you Linus, I don't understand why folks wear both headphones when cycling. If you can't hear anything that's going on around you then you're a danger to yourself and others. Although I do cycle with one side of my headphones in when I'm on the local National Cycle route - I'm currently working my way through Stephen Fry reading all the Harry Potter books - however I won't use headphones at all on the road.