Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #61
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

so my surgery did not go as planned on Friday. when my doctors opened ne up there was a lit mire cancer than what the mist recent CT scan showed. so they didn't do much. they got out some bulk but to get me to the point they thought the would before opening me would have put me in the ICU with a chest tube, and breathing tube fir a few days. do they did a bit and closed mr up.
time for a different chemo- mine ain't workin'. I'm still in the hospital- Looks like I'm running a fever tonight. I need to find a new cache of hope and strength that I'll be able to fight this off and at least get a couple of years- I'd like to make it to 30.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #62
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Fiercegrrl,

We will chat in private. Publically, I want to acknowledge your strength, determination, and the hope you give to me and others. Thank you.

Much love and peace to you,
Drew
oxox
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #63
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My platelet count is 21. It should be a lot higher so I am sure a transfusion is coming.

Some days endless sleep feels like a better option than fighting all the time.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #64
sweetcali
BFP Angel

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Yes I have a status.

Location: I ride a cowboy in Rodeo in the communist nation of the isle of cali.
sweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegrrl View Post
so my surgery did not go as planned on Friday. when my doctors opened ne up there was a lit mire cancer than what the mist recent CT scan showed. so they didn't do much. they got out some bulk but to get me to the point they thought the would before opening me would have put me in the ICU with a chest tube, and breathing tube fir a few days. do they did a bit and closed mr up.
time for a different chemo- mine ain't workin'. I'm still in the hospital- Looks like I'm running a fever tonight. I need to find a new cache of hope and strength that I'll be able to fight this off and at least get a couple of years- I'd like to make it to 30.
(((((((((((fiercegrrl)))))) I will keep you in my thoughts as we go through this journey. Just know that you are not alone in your battle with the aliens. A lot of us are in it with you. PM me if you need to. In the mean time here is a whooooolllleeeeee lotta love and hugs. Oh OH OH before I forget, I have a lot of nice wigs and hats if you would like them. Just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
My platelet count is 21. It should be a lot higher so I am sure a transfusion is coming.

Some days endless sleep feels like a better option than fighting all the time.
I gots lots of good blood so I can share.

(((((((((bubbledooodles))))))))))

sweetcali
sweetcali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetcali For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #65
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default One two..

Hi everyone. Just dropping in, catching up on where and what is going on with everyone and hoping tonight finds you all safe and sound.. (((((((((((Fiercegrrl, sweetcali, SuperFemme, Andrew, cybersubee, Sachita, SD and all)))))))))))

My Peaches the big boy orange cat has learned to count. So far it is just to one, but we are working hard on two.

He raises his paw for one treat. Of course, when he raises it again he gets another One. and another One..I just looked at him ,and said, you are beginning to look like Morris, and ....he raised his paw. One more treat.

Hope tomorrow's sun brings you warmth and healing.

Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #66
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Tommi,

You are such a wonderful friend to me, and many others.

I am out of sorts. Just not myself. I am so grateful for my many friendships here.

Namaste,
Andrew
Old 06-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #67
sweetcali
BFP Angel

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Yes I have a status.

sweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputationsweetcali Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

Thanks Tommi,

I am out of sorts. Just not myself. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes lately.

Namaste,
Andrew
Oh goodness Andrew...That is one of the wonderful side effects of this journey we are on. All those filters you used to have? Say goodbye!!! And learn to have fun with them. LOL

sweetcal
i
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetcali For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #68
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Sweetcali,

You are so right. I agree.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #69
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile Good News to Share

The tumor the surgeon removed last week from my breast was not cancerous. Thank God above. I have a very good chance of getting cancer since I already had cervical cancer, but my mother and grandmother both have/had breast cancer, and my sister is in remission from ovarian cancer. It has been 8 years so far.

The surgeon told me that my chances go up a great deal. I am being used in a study and followed from this point forward.

I dodged a huge bullet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #70
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Thanks Tommi,

I am out of sorts. Just not myself. I am so grateful for my many friendships here.

Namaste,
Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcali View Post
Oh goodness Andrew...That is one of the wonderful side effects of this journey we are on. All those filters you used to have? Say goodbye!!! And learn to have fun with them. LOL

sweetcal
i
Yes, sweetcali, life gives you lemons and we want to add it to our water, versus throwing them any longer.
I was the same way, stepping on toes, so I took Salsaand Two Step lessons.

Quote:

The tumor the surgeon removed last week from my breast was not cancerous. Thank God above. I have a very good chance of getting cancer since I already had cervical cancer, but my mother and grandmother both have/had breast cancer, and my sister is in remission from ovarian cancer. It has been 8 years so far.

The surgeon told me that my chances go up a great deal. I am being used in a study and followed from this point forward.

I dodged a huge bullet.

Andrew,
Glad to hear the good news. Waiting for the news is scary, so glad that is over. Now as you know, the follow-ups are so important, as you know.

I signed up for a clinical study too, when I was diagnosed with endometrial ca 6 years ago. My only family history of cancer was my Mom, who had lung cancer after smoking since she was 16.. No relatives on either side of my family for as far back as anyone knew. My Gyn/Onncologist had said they wanted to follow many things, including effects of 2nd hand smoke on non-smokers who were diagnosed with cancer. So, I am now having annual follow-ups, and am free to live every day to the fullest, and thank god for my lucky stars every night
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #71
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,406 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I sat here and read this thread tonight with tears in my eyes and sadness in my heart. Some of you are new to me and others I have known for years now, but either way, it's painful. I wasn't sure I'd be mentally strong enough to read in here, but something kept pulling me in. Years ago when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, she gave us 6 years to prepare for the inevitable. It wasn't any easier even with those 6 years. She wasn't diagnosed for a year from the time she first started seeing doctors. My mom had lymphoma and I saw glands swell and burst over the last year of her life. I remember sitting every day at the hospital with her. My visits would leave me drained and mentally exhausted. She once asked me why my brothers couldn't understand that all she wanted to do was die. I cried hard that day trying to grasp hold of the situation, but I did understand. I understood she gave us a 6 year warning. She gave us time to spend with her. She lived for her oldest grandchild that she helped raise. I think that's why she lasted so long. It wasn't until all the transfusions and hospital stays that last year that sucked the life out of her. When she stopped eating, I'd bring my niece to the hospital with me to feed her. Seems like she would eat for granddaughter, but only baby food. My niece used to beg my mom to eat for her. I should tell you now, my niece was only 9 or 10 then. When my mom stopped eating, she started getting worse. She had absolutely no strength, but enough of a voice to ask me to sign a DNR for her. It was the hardest choice I ever had to make, but I did what she asked.

Enough story, ok.

To get to my point and what I'm trying to get at is that even if nothing tastes good or you don't feel hungry, please keep putting nourishment in your body. I think it's more or as important as chemo. Never stop eating or drinking. Please push yourself, for you and for those that love you.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #72
sweetcali
BFP Angel

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Yes I have a status.

Andrew,
Glad to hear the good news. Waiting for the news is scary, so glad that is over. Now as you know, the follow-ups are so important, as you know.

I signed up for a clinical study too, when I was diagnosed with endometrial ca 6 years ago. My only family history of cancer was my Mom, who had lung cancer after smoking since she was 16.. No relatives on either side of my family for as far back as anyone knew. My Gyn/Onncologist had said they wanted to follow many things, including effects of 2nd hand smoke on non-smokers who were diagnosed with cancer. So, I am now having annual follow-ups, and am free to live every day to the fullest, and thank god for my lucky stars every night
.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you let them know that 60% of those diagnosed with lung cancer have never smoked. Out of that 60%, 45% have not lived around second hand smoke. 1 out of three women this year will be diagnosed with lung cancer. The least researched and least funded cancer is lung cancer. There is no federal mandated money to study or research lung cancer.

Just a little info you can take with you to your study.

sweetcali
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetcali For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #73
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcali View Post
Andrew,

Make sure you let them know that 60% of those diagnosed with lung cancer have never smoked. Out of that 60%, 45% have not lived around second hand smoke. 1 out of three women this year will be diagnosed with lung cancer. The least researched and least funded cancer is lung cancer. There is no federal mandated money to study or research lung cancer.

Just a little info you can take with you to your study.

sweetcali
[/QUOTE]

SweetCali
You are so correct, when we began our journey we also found that
Multiple Myeloma accounted for only 1% of all Cancers and therefore the funding was minuscule.
One cannot help but wonder does lack of funding for research come with the price, since most patients are deemed "terminal" it's not worth spending the money to further research advance medicine or threapies for said cancer's.
We've written letters to congress and pur senators regarding these issues. Although the rsponse was sketchy at best, A We voiced our opinions and will continue to do so. sweetcali sending you light and hope may your day be blessed.
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #74
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

When my sister, Jo, was battling skin cancer at NIH, she dropped weight so fast. In the last 3 years of her life, I know that the chemo and experimental drugs really took a toll on her system. We all tried everything from Ensure or fruit shakes or just frozen fruit pops. Now, Jo was very much into cooking, so she still tried to keep playing tennis, making all efforts to live as if she was ok.

Then when she was at the point of taking stem cells...she got her appitite back. In fact, she loved to go to McDonald's for breakfast. She loved their coffee, and english muffin w/egg sandwich (can you tell I don't go there much -lol). Anyway, I would make a trip there and get her a large coffee, and 3 or 4 of those sandwiches because I knew later on after this go round, when we were back on the chemo, she would be loosing weight again. I hated it. I hated what it was doing to her.

I bought her a teddy bear from Vt. Teddy Bear Company when she was depressed, and not bouncing back from the treatments. That was a big hit for her, but no sooner than she got that, her energy level just dropped.

I just kept trying to boost her spirits. I would sent prayer cards, plants, balloons, funny cards, tennis balls, and just tons of pictures. It was the best thing to do to keep her guessing what was coming to her next.

The pain meds only help so much. Cancer sucks. I have lost not only my sister to cancer, but my Godfather. He died from brain cancer. I just cannot even talk about what happened to him. It is too fresh, and too overwhelming to me.

Namaste to all,
Andrew

Old 06-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #75
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Five things every Cancer patient needs to know.

http://www.archive.org/details/Teres...patientsneedto

This is a Podcast of a show I did some time ago on Holistic care for Cancer patients, I hope it can be of some help and support to you all. It is with Dr Jeannie Galloway, who is Naturapathic Oncologist here in Austin. She has some important tips to share that may help you or family members who are in the process of dealing with cancer, in any phase. These are the notes from a talk on Five things a Cancer patients should know.

Generally, when a person hears they have cancer they either: relinquish responsibility and let the doctor have control over their life OR get very busy finding out everything they can that might help. I encourage every cancer patient to become involved in their own decision making and to ask questions. Often my work with a patient is to help them figure out what their questions should be.
The treatments for cancer are somewhat limited from a standard medical position. The drugs (especially chemotherapy) are pretty much the same as they have been for many years. New ideas are surfacing, and benefits are found, but we have a long way to go. Chemotherapy, radiation and surgery are designed to kill the cancer, yet in the process healthy tissue is sacrificed along the way. Side effects of standard treatment are typically not the concern of oncologists. There is a huge gap in cancer care when it comes to addressing the concerns of the person undergoing treatment. The oncologist is focused on the cancer, not really on the wholeness of the person getting treatment. Naturopathic doctors with training and experience in complementary and integrative cancer care fill the void with an emphasis on the wellness factor of the whole person. We:
improve nutrient consumption and intake
Treat side effects of cancer treatments
Improve the response of standard treatments
Improve immune function
Improve quality of life
Speed healing processes
Educate patients and their families, and their oncologists on natural medicine's
Reduce recurrence of cancer

What a Naturopathic doctor is NOT; we aren't just "green doctors" who replace a drug with an herb.We aren't interested in just treating symptoms of disease, we do not believe that drugs are always bad or that cancer can be treated without standard medicine. We do believe that there is an ability of the body to heal itself if given the right building blocks and that addressing the underlying cause of a disease is the important thing to do, instead of just treating symptoms. We also believe that all of medicine has an appropriate place...at times drugs and surgery are needed, at times herbs and meditation are needed. There is a whole spectrum of medicine available to the ND.

Five Natural Treatments
1) Blood sugar/Insulin
2) Vit D
3) Green Tea
4) Cortisol
5) Dangerous side effects

First, blood sugar and insulin. If a cancer patient has high blood sugar and high insulin levels in the blood they are much more likely to have a more aggressive form of cancer and to have a high rate of recurrence. I encourage all the people I work with who have a cancer diagnosis to be sure their physician is checking their fasting blood sugar and their insulin levels.

If there are troubles with high blood sugar or insulin there are great ways to impact this; dietary, exercise, supplements such as cinnamon, bitter melon, gymnema have been shown to have effect, and chromium supplementation, too.

Secondly, it is becoming very clear that Vitamin D levels should become part of every person's "annual physical" blood workup. Vitamin D deficiency is being linked to a tremendous amount of disease processes and we are particularly concerned with cancer patients as they have been shown to have lower levels in many cases. If you have cancer, or if you don't and want to prevent it, have your doctor check your Vitamin D status. There are clear guidelines around what these levels should be. Your doctor should know these or s/he can find them out easily.

Thirdly, green tea is part of any natural approach to the cancer fight. Cancer cells turn into tumors by continually dividing even when they should just die. Green tea, among many other important cancer fighting properties, is able to shut down cancer cell division...thus slowing the growth of tumors.

Fourth, stress is a killer. Cortisol levels are associated with increased insulin levels, with decreased melatonin levels (a natural cancer fighter) and with increased inflammation which can drive cancer formation. Treating the adrenal glands, reducing stress, using techniques such as Tai Chi or Qi Gong are great ways to reduce the stress response and see a more positive influence of the body.

Fifth, there are extremely dangerous side effects to chemotherapy. Yet, the use of chemotherapy is highly recommended by Naturopathic Oncologists for many forms of cancer. Sometimes the body needs to have the disease eliminated forceably in order to provide a clear path for healing. The leading side effects that can have long lasting impact are: nerve damage, heart tissue damage and digestive tract symptoms. In each case there are natural treatments that have been shown to reduce the side effects safely. The damage that can be done may be irreparable, and the cancer patient needs to take action to understand the risks and to find a practitioner who can help them avoid side effect damage.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #76
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Default Skipping Medical Care

We have done this at one point in our lives. We make due with what we have. For colds, we take our Tylenol, stay in bed, eat chix noodle soup, and suck on cough drops. For some of us, it is a means of survival. Money for medical care and insurance causes alot of us to dely treatment. Cash for services rendered is out of question because it is so high.

I really am not sure of what the answer is. I believe in healthcare for everyone, not just the wealthy. That is why I am all for NIH. It is not a hospital, but a research center. That way all of your medical care is free. It is funded by the drug companies & manufacturers.

I feel that accountability for those sick should be on the minds of those in the medical field. It shouldn't be financial and run as a business for profit. There goes the Hypocratic Oath.

But then again, this is my opinion only.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #77
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Caregiver Burnout

By Dr. M. Ross Seligson
Being able to cope with the strains and stresses of being a Caregiver is part of the art of Caregiving In order to remain healthy so that we can continue to be Caregivers, we must be able to see our own limitations and learn to care for ourselves as well as others.

It is important for all of us to make the effort to recognize the signs of burnout, In order to do this we must be honest and willing to hear feedback from those around us. This is especially important for those caring for family or friends. Too often Caregivers who are not closely associated with the healthcare profession get overlooked and lost in the commotion of medical emergencies and procedures. Otherwise close friends begin to grow distant, and eventually the Caregiver is alone without a support structure. We must allow those who do care for us, who are interested enough to say something, to tell us about our behavior, a noticed decrease in energy or mood changes.

Burnout isn't like a cold. You don't always notice it when you are in its clutches. Very much like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, the symptoms of burnout can begin surfacing months after a traumatic episode. The following are symptoms we might notice in ourselves, or others might say they see in us. Think about what is being said, and consider the possibility of burnout.

•Feelings of depression.

•A sense of ongoing and constant fatigue.

•Decreasing interest in work.

•Decrease in work production.

•Withdrawal from social contacts.

•Increase in use of stimulants and alcohol.

•Increasing fear of death.

•Change in eating patterns.

•Feelings of helplessness.

Strategies to ward off or cope with burnout are important. To counteract burnout, the following specific strategies are recommended

•Participate in a support network.

•Consult with professionals to explore burnout issues.

•Attend a support group to receive feedback and coping strategies.

•Vary the focus of caregiving responsibilities if possible (rotate responsibilities with family members).

•Exercise daily and maintain a healthy diet.

•Establish "quiet time" for meditation.

•Get a weekly massage

•Stay involved in hobbies.

By acknowledging the reality that being a Caregiver is filled with stress and anxiety, and understanding the potential for burnout, Caregivers can be forewarned and guard against this debilitating condition. As much as it is said, it can still not be said too often, the best way to be an effective Caregiver is to take care of yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a great article but I cannot get two hours of downtime let alone a weekly massage,
how do others deal with caregiver burnout? When you alone do the caregiving 24/7
and you cannot afford a private nurse?
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #78
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile

Caregivers have a special place in the next life. My hat is off to them. For example hospice workers. They are definitely angels.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #79
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default Just FYI :::

Benefits of Acupuncture in Cancer Care

Here are some ways that acupuncture can help while being treated for and recovering from cancer.Cancer treatments are aggressive and cause numerous unwanted side effects as well as a lowered immune system. Acupuncture is an excellent adjunctive therapy in cancer treatments because of its ability to relieve pain, reduce side effects, accelerate recovery and improve quality of life.

What Acupuncture is used for during Cancer Treatment

Acupuncture provides a total approach to health care for people with cancer. It can be used to address many of the concerns that come up during and after chemotherapy, radiation, biological therapy and surgery.

According to the National Cancer Institute, acupuncture may cause physical responses in nerve cells, the pituitary gland, and parts of the brain. These responses can cause the body to release proteins, hormones, and brain chemicals that control a number of body functions. It is proposed that, by these actions, acupuncture affects blood pressure and body temperature, boosts immune system activity, and causes the body's natural painkillers, such as endorphins, to be released.

Areas that acupuncture has shown the most promise include:
Nausea and Vomiting
Dry Mouth, Night Sweats and Hot Flashes
Stress, Anxiety and Fatigue
Pain Management
Increasing White Blood Cell Count

Source: National Cancer Institute. www.cancer.org
Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #80
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

[QUOTE=Spirit Dancer;130150]Caregiver Burnout

By Dr. M. Ross Seligson
Being able to cope with the strains and stresses of being a Caregiver is part of the art of Caregiving In order to remain healthy so that we can continue to be Caregivers, we must be able to see our own limitations and learn to care for ourselves as well as others.

It is important for all of us to make the effort to recognize the signs of burnout, In order to do this we must be honest and willing to hear feedback from those around us. This is especially important for those caring for family or friends. Too often Caregivers who are not closely associated with the healthcare profession get overlooked and lost in the commotion of medical emergencies and procedures. Otherwise close friends begin to grow distant, and eventually the Caregiver is alone without a support structure. We must allow those who do care for us, who are interested enough to say something, to tell us about our behavior, a noticed decrease in energy or mood changes.

Burnout isn't like a cold. You don't always notice it when you are in its clutches. Very much like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, the symptoms of burnout can begin surfacing months after a traumatic episode. The following are symptoms we might notice in ourselves, or others might say they see in us. Think about what is being said, and consider the possibility of burnout.

•Feelings of depression.

•A sense of ongoing and constant fatigue.

•Decreasing interest in work.

•Decrease in work production.

•Withdrawal from social contacts.

•Increase in use of stimulants and alcohol.

•Increasing fear of death.

•Change in eating patterns.

•Feelings of helplessness.

Strategies to ward off or cope with burnout are important. To counteract burnout, the following specific strategies are recommended

•Participate in a support network.

•Consult with professionals to explore burnout issues.

•Attend a support group to receive feedback and coping strategies.

•Vary the focus of caregiving responsibilities if possible (rotate responsibilities with family members).

•Exercise daily and maintain a healthy diet.

•Establish "quiet time" for meditation.

•Get a weekly massage

•Stay involved in hobbies.

By acknowledging the reality that being a Caregiver is filled with stress and anxiety, and understanding the potential for burnout, Caregivers can be forewarned and guard against this debilitating condition. As much as it is said, it can still not be said too often, the best way to be an effective Caregiver is to take care of yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[COLOR="Navy"][B][I]
This is a great article but I cannot get two hours of downtime let alone a weekly massage,
how do others deal with caregiver burnout? When you alone do the caregiving 24/7
and you cannot afford a private nurse?

A very important post! I have been a cancer care-giver for 4 people in my life that I cherished and did lose. It was the hardest thing I have yet to do in my life and I did burn-out. In fact, I believe that some of my impatience with people now has to do with this. I see so much BS being attended to when people are dealing with this damn disease and other dibilitating health issues! My entire perspective on what really matters in this life has changed.

Changed my life, forever. A special hug and much gratitude for those of you that have been, or in this position. Always take time for yourself even if it is something very simple. So many now are having to do this due to not having resources.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: