Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 04-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #41
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

That LOUD & IRRITATING sound of 'dial up'
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #42
storyspinner70

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

storyspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputationstoryspinner70 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
That LOUD & IRRITATING sound of 'dial up'
AOL for the win!!!! Not. Lord god that long long connect. And the anger when someone forgot and picked up the phone before it connected or pitched a fit when you were on it and they just HAD to make a call.

I had a computer long before I had internet. Thinking back makes me nostalgic. lol...Tiny amber screen. Floppy. Dos. My parents bought it for me to write my poetry and novels and school papers on. Oh, and so I could print them out on that loud ass printer. It was so awesome then.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #43
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Using a 1200 baud coupler modem (the kind where you literally put the handset into the modem!) for a local BBS. (That will give you an idea how long ago *that* was!)

My first embarrassing Internet moment was when I had my first real PC (486 DX/16Mhz processor, 128mb hard drive, 8megs of ram) and I fell for an early iteration of "there is a new and dangerous virus that will delete all your files!" email which I then posted somewhere in the USENET hierarchy.

I've had some form of online access for 30 years now.

Cheers
AJ

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #44
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyspinner70 View Post
AOL for the win!!!! Not. Lord god that long long connect. And the anger when someone forgot and picked up the phone before it connected or pitched a fit when you were on it and they just HAD to make a call.

I had a computer long before I had internet. Thinking back makes me nostalgic. lol...Tiny amber screen. Floppy. Dos. My parents bought it for me to write my poetry and novels and school papers on. Oh, and so I could print them out on that loud ass printer. It was so awesome then.
I'm very proud to say that I've *never* had an AOL account! Never.

Cheers
AJ

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #45
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

My earliest memories of the Internet are the late 90's at Gay.com in the Butch-Femme room. I laughed my butt off. There were some very funny people there. I was an internet virgin. Then one day I scrolled down to the Leather Room. I walked in and there was no turning back. From there I found the "Dash" site in 98 and from there to here.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #46
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
My earliest memories of the Internet are the late 90's at Gay.com in the Butch-Femme room. I laughed my butt off. There were some very funny people there. I was an internet virgin. Then one day I scrolled down to the Leather Room. I walked in and there was no turning back. From there I found the "Dash" site in 98 and from there to here.

Me too! I was in the "older lesbians" room even though i was technically too young. ... heh

Wr sure had some laughs......
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #47
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiantoo View Post
I remember DOS commands and the green cursor/words. I remember my father telling me that they were inventing the Internet. He told me how it would work, what it would do. I was about 16-17 at the time. My first computer game was King's Quest. I had no idea what was coming lol

Oh, and I wrote papers for High School on Word Perfect.
I still niss DOS commands! I like driving the computer.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 AM   #48
TL1

How Do You Identify?:
Butch of stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
The guy kind

Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,006 Posts
TL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST Reputation

Aol
Dial up
Aol lesbian chat rooms
Though I rarely use it that aol email is still active
Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #49
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Never had AOL, I had AT&T,,,

I just remember being able to find information on ANYTHING. Isn't it amazing to be in the era where the internet was introduced?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,124 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
Me too! I was in the "older lesbians" room even though i was technically too young. ... heh

Wr sure had some laughs......
I was there too Dee lol and yes we had many many laughs back then ~ also here and in the dash as well..** sings ** memoriesssss
Old 05-12-2016, 09:24 PM   #51
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
I was there too Dee lol and yes we had many many laughs back then ~ also here and in the dash as well..** sings ** memoriesssss
yes we did Ocean lady...... omg i should have never ventured into that place......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2016, 04:10 AM   #52
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

I loved computers from the moment I met them.
I used to prowl around the University of Notre Dame when I was like 11 and I would see the students with their punch cards in boxes rushing about and looking terribly intelligent and important.

My first personal computer experience was at my friend Adam's house, his parents were wealthy and his dad had a computer, it was HUGE. We read that we could cause it to generate tones at particular frequencies and tried to control the toaster via sympathetic hZ tones. (We were like 13 or 14)

I took a BASIC programming class in the 9th or 10th grade (early to mid 1980s) and became besotted with computers and programming (I went on to take COBOL, FORTRAN, and Assembler)

A friend of mine had CompuServe (we paid to connect hourly and it could rack up FAST) and I remember being able to read the NY Times and the San Francisco Chronicle digitally. There were also odd conversations with fellow tech nerds (we didn't even call ourselves that at the time)

The CompuServe connection was done through an acoustic coupler that the phone receiver fit into

After that it was AOL, when I started there were an amazing number of people on, like 35,000 (heh)

After that it has been a continuous connection throughout my life.
I met several love and ahem other interests via the web
Some of my very best friends were met this way as well

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 AM   #53
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ocean View Post
i MISS chatting with you !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #54
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,354 Times in 863 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
AIM - AOL Messenger and ICQ.

A friend in college introduced me to the internet and chat rooms we use to meet up in the school computer lab and check out ICQ chat rooms it was all so fascinating to me.

I don't recall how but I use to get the AOL disks in the mail for free dial-up internet for set number of hours and always managed to go over. After going over I had to wait for a new disk to be mailed out which got frustrating at times until one day I called AOL to complain and an AOL Rep told me tips to save on the time used on the net to read and respond to emails.

I still recall using pillows to muffle out the sound of connecting to the internet in the wee hours of the morning not wanting to wake up family members lol. Good times!
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #55
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,277 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

I joined AOL and found OnQ right away. The OnQ chat rooms had moderators. I'd slip into a room hoping just to observe and every damn time someone would say hello to me. I just wanted to hide until I felt I knew what was going on!

I met my best friend and many others there.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #56
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
I still niss DOS commands! I like driving the computer.
One area in my life where I refused to be Toppped ... by my computer. Sometimes, I'd like to strip Windows off and go back to good ole X-Tree Gold to really find and fix the problem.

One night, I was trying to get to an onion site, and could not "get under" Windows. Fixed the problem, but it would have been quicker/easier if I didn't have to install TOR right THEN.

Earliest computer memory? A Tandy put it together yourself 286. Soon upgraded to a 486. I, too had Delphi Forums and CompuServe, but mostly BBS's. Except that there was this one science site, think it was called Alta-Vista. Used to go to the GTs as well. Was a sub-op for awhile on a fairly large site. Most of the BBS's were full of "ankle byters."

Must disagree with the majority opinion.
I LOVE the sound of a computer handshake. You can always tell if you're connected and generally how good the reception is going to be (i.e. are you likely to be bumped off the site).