wahya
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
im good

wahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputationwahya Has the BEST Reputation
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Bliss View Post
Got my recent order this afternoon.

"8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back" by Esther Gokhale, L.Ac.

Comes highly recommended, since I know so many peeps with bad backs thought I might learn something to help them. Am also hoping to prevent the same in myself.

Having back pain can make your life sooo freaking miserable.
Could of used this one 20 yrs ago. ha ha
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #1822
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I finished one book by Mary Roach (Gulp), and started another by her- for some odd reason, both books were published the same week. This one is called My Planet: Finding Humor in the Oddest Places, and is a collection of articles previously published in Reader's Digest. The book is cute, quirky and quick- nothing that sticks with me, but entertaining. Mary Roach cracks me up even when she's writing for a magazine that is usually found in my parents' bathroom. Recommended.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #1823
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation
Default Oh yeah...

And thanks to the barrage of promos and teasers for the upcoming HBO movie Behind the Candelabra, I went looking for the book of the same name. The book is about Liberace's turbulent relationship with Scott Thorson, his lover and chauffeur (the movie is about the same, but with Michael Douglas as Liberace, and Matt Damon as Thorson. I admit I'm intrigued.)

The book won't come out until May, though I found an out-of-print copy on Amazon- I guess it's being reprinted, thanks to the HBO movie. It was originally published in 1988, a year after Liberace's death from AIDS, and marketed as a tell-all memoir by Thorson the Chauffeur himself. The puzzling part is that the book is labeled "an autobiographical novel." Whaaa? Wait, why isn't it nonfiction?? I might pass on the book now, but I'm still all atwitter over the movie's debut. Damn you, HBO.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #1824
BoSoxBoi

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender, FTM, Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He (Any male pronouns will work)
Relationship Status:
Very much taken

BoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST ReputationBoSoxBoi Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Reading book again..

I'm currently reading "Of Drag Kings and the Wheel of Fate" by Susan Smith. I first read this book years ago, and every so often I read it again. After I'm finished, I'll be re-reading the sequel to this book, "Burning Dreams". Susan Smith is an amazing author.
BoSoxBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoSoxBoi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #1825
rhopar

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
taken

rhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputationrhopar Has the BEST Reputation

The Broken Window, by Jeffrey Deaver
rhopar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhopar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1826
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Not becoming my mother : and other things she taught me along the way / Ruth Reichl

Bestselling author Ruth Reichl embarks on a clear-eyed and openhearted investigation of her mother's life, piecing together the journey of a woman she comes to realize she never really knew. Looking to her mother's letters and diaries, Reichl confronts the painful transition her mother made from a hopeful young woman to an increasingly unhappy older one and realizes the tremendous sacrifices she made to make sure her daughter's life would not be as disappointing as her own.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #1827
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Life-After-A-Novel/dp/0316176486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366312599&sr=8-1&keywords=kate+atkinson"]Life After Life by Kate Atkinson[/ame]

from the book description:

"What if you could live again and again, until you got it right?

On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born to an English banker and his wife. She dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in a variety of ways, while the young century marches on towards its second cataclysmic world war.

Does Ursula's apparently infinite number of lives give her the power to save the world from its inevitable destiny? And if she can -- will she?

Darkly comic, startlingly poignant, and utterly original -- this is Kate Atkinson at her absolute best."

It is very readable, as are all her books. And it's a great concept. I'll let you know what I think when it's done.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #1828
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Minimalist Parenting: Enjoying Modern Family Life More by Doing Less
by Asha Dornfest and Christine Koh

Ok, so I was thinking this book was going to tell me to get rid of my stuff, but not so. Here's a partial review from Moxie, which I think is spot-on:
"This book is probably going to overwhelm you if you have a first baby under three months. If you have kids older than that, though, this book will give you a nice framework for thinking about all the areas of family life so you can assess what you can control and streamline things so you can process the chaos as it happens and spend more time enjoying life and less time feeling like it's dragging you around."
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #1829
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Incidents in the life of a slave girl

Harriet Jacobs
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #1830
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Where Have All The Leaders Gone

~Lee Iacocca

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #1831
Gina

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady, Her, she...etc..
Relationship Status:
Single

Gina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST Reputation

"Illuminati" by Mark Dice
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #1832
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Nature Connection - An outdoor workbook for kids, families, and classrooms

by Clare Walker Leslie

**A lot of fun gems in here to stimulate our thinking and keep us outside learning!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #1833
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

As Little as possible....
after grad school I am read out for now.
I will however, take suggestion for when I am able to pick up a book again and enjoy it.
I am just too braindead right at this moment in time.
HA!
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #1834
VeganDebbie

How Do You Identify?:
As me

VeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST ReputationVeganDebbie Has the BEST Reputation

Just got it from my mom.............snow falling on cedars by David Guterson
VeganDebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VeganDebbie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #1835
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

A fascinating read...

Savage Girls and Wild Boys-A History of Feral Children
Michael Newton
Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #1836
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don't Tell You, What Corporations Try to Sell You, and How to Put Your Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Baby Before Their Bottom Line

Margulis, Jennifer
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #1837
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,924 Times in 9,906 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Wright, David (1985). Geoffrey Chaucer: The Canterbury Tales.
Oxford University Press (Oxford, England & Oxford, New York).

I find myself, from time to time, picking up this book and reading particular selections of Chaucer. I often find myself re-reading Wright's introduction to Chaucer, so that I am reminded of Chaucer's place in time and where he stood socially - due to his father, John Chaucer, a well-to-do wholesale wine merchant who lived on Thames Street, which at one time was a weathy district in London and his father's marriage to a wealthy heiress, Agnes de Copton - and to also re-acquaint myself with Chaucer's long-storied career in service to the public. I don't know why I do that, but I do - every single time I return to read some tale in this book.

While soaking in the tub last night, the latest tale I read from Chaucer was: The Fragment of The Wife of Bath's Tale (pp. 219 - 250).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #1838
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place.

~Zora Neale Hurston
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1839
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Where they stand : the American presidents in the eyes of voters and historians

by Robert W. Merry.

The rating of American presidents is a popular fascination for scholars and citizens alike. Merry believes that professionals' opinions are, however, sometimes out of sync with those of the people and, specifically, the electorate that installed or repudiated a president.

Therefore, he accords the vox populi weight equal to the verdicts of seven polls of historians conducted over past decades. The professors and the voters exhibit no differences over who were the best presidents Washington, Lincoln, and FDR but they diverge over nominees for the near-great category; electorates liked Jackson and Reagan, but historians have been critical. Likewise, the dons praise Wilson and Truman, whereas the people voted their parties out of power.

To bridge such discrepancies, Merry combines fluid commentary on what impresses historians and application of his rule for the populace's standard of approval, rewarding an incumbent with a second term and succession by his party's nominee. Anything less plunges a president down the scale to average or failure, with near-great Polk as a conspicuous exception.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #1840
BowtiePrincess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Happily taken

BowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST ReputationBowtiePrincess Has the BEST Reputation

Scars of Sweet Paradise The Life and Times of Janis Joplin
BowtiePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BowtiePrincess For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading