Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Feminism in News and Popular Media

I see feminism from my iPhone It's not dead and it's not relegated to the upper echelons of academia either.

In the LGBTQ community, it can be a little more complicated than "violence against women," but it still touched me to hear Patrick Stewart talk about this from a personal place. And it warms my heart to see him in the "this is what a feminist looks like" shirt.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Why are women scared to call themselves feminists?

It’s a glorious time to be a declared non-feminist. This weekend, Katy Perry accepted Billboard Woman of the Year award by announcing to the world, “I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the strength of women.” Way to take home a prize for womankind there, Perry. And last month, the former supermodel/first lady of France Carla Bruni-Sarkozy declared in a magazine interview that “I’m not at all an active feminist. On the contrary, I’m a bourgeois. I love family life, I love doing the same thing every day.” Because you can’t be bourgeois, love your family, or value stability and be a feminist. It’s in the manifesto.

Bruni-Sarkozy added, “We don’t need to be feminist in my generation.” As a member of Bruni-Sarkozy’s generation, let me address that. Ha! HA HA HA! No, we don’t need feminism at all! Women over 40 are too valued and respected for that! They don’t have their looks scrutinized and mocked; they don’t face skepticism that they’re too old to do their jobs; they aren’t the punch lines of garish jokes about predatory cougars. Ha ha ha!

Perry and Bruni-Sarkozy are in esteemed company. This past summer, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer explained that while she believes in “equal rights” and that “women are just as capable,” she believes feminism itself is a “more negative word.” Academy Award winner Melissa Leo, meanwhile, told Salon back in August, “I don’t think of myself as a feminist at all. As soon as we start labeling and categorizing ourselves and others, that’s going to shut down the world. I would never say that.” And Katherine Fenton, the young lady whose presidential debate question about the wage gap triggered Romney’s absurd “binders full of women” response, told Salon she was “absolutely not” a feminist, explaining, “I’m a 24-year-old woman that lives in the United States and feels like I should be treated the same as anyone else. That makes me a normal human being.”

If you’ve given it a lot of thought and study and come to the conclusion that nope, this feminism thing really isn’t your bag, OK. Godspeed and I wish you well. Feminism is about respecting each other’s choices, after all, and as a feminist I respect yours. No, wait, come back. Are you sure about this? Really? You know, you don’t have to be some angry, man-hating termagant. In fact, if that’s your idea of what a feminist is, you may be basing your image on what the most loathsome trolls on the Internet call us. Well, not “termagant” because they can’t spell it, but you get the point. Do you trust the perception of creeps?

Let me just point out that if you believe in the strength of women, Ms. Perry, or their equality, Ms. Mayer, you’re soaking in feminism. If you’re like Ms. Bruni-Sarkozy and want to explain that “I imagine I am if feminism means claiming one’s freedom. But I am not if it means being committed in an active way to the fight that some women are still leading today I admire their bravery a lot, but I have chosen to commit myself elsewhere,” you should know that “the fight” is just being an autonomous person in the world. And if you’re like Ms. Fenton and think feminism means being treated like “anyone else,” remember that there aren’t a whole lot of “anyone else” options out there. You’re basically admitting that masculinity is the norm and that all we can do is aspire toward some kind of equitable footing in a man’s world. This sounds like a job for … feminism!

It’s not that feminism is one perfect dogma, or that those who claim participation in it have it all figured out. Feminists argue among themselves and there are some real pieces of work out there who call themselves feminists. Perhaps that’s why someone like Katy Perry, who’s incited the rage of feminist writer Naomi Wolf for her provocative “Part of Me” video, feels this a revolution she doesn’t have a role in. But when Perry, a woman who this weekend walked a red carpet for the Trevor Project holding a sign that said “Be proud of who you are” says she doesn’t want to identify as a feminist, it’s a fair to ask, who is she then?

You can call yourself or not call yourself whatever you want, but consider this. Nobody enjoys it more when a woman says she’s not a feminist than a misogynist. Nobody gets more gloatingly self-congratulatory about it, or happier about what “real” women don’t need than someone who doesn’t like women very much, especially not the uppity, outspoken, wanting pay equity and reproductive freedom types. Consider that any word that feared and derided has incredible power. And how beautiful and strong that makes it.ts/"]Why are women scared to call themselves feminists?
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

This photo was posted on STFU, Conservatives Tumblr page last night. The reason why I'm sharing it is not because of the photo itself (which is epic in it's ow...n right), but for the comments it generated.

One person wrote, "but then again, its kind like putting a meat suit on and telling a shark not to eat you".

STFU responded (with bolded text):

"We (men) are not fucking sharks!

We are not rabid animals living off of pure instinct

We are capable of rational thinking and understanding.

Just because someone is cooking food doesn’t mean you’re entitled to eat it.

Just because a banker is counting money doesn’t mean you’re being given free money.

Just because a person is naked doesn’t mean you’re entitled to fuck them.

You are not entitled to someone else’s body just because it’s exposed.

What is so fucking difficult about this concept?"

Bravo.

(from Sluts for Obama 2012 facebook)

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl

Last edited by Nat; 01-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I see a lot of smart young women and men saying feminist things on the internet, and I don't spend that much time here. I don't know that they ID as feminists, but I doubt that most would baulk at the description.

I think what Katie Pery was acknowledging is that it's not a particularly cool thing to call yourself right now. But anyone serious enough to think beyond what's cool knows better. And, thank god, there are a lot of folks like that.

I don't think it matters how we market feminism, whether it is cool or not. It's a human rights issue. We are making progress on awareness of human rights issues around the world, including, maybe especially, women's rights.

Malala was not just an international cause celebre. She got a huge amount of support at home. The protests in India to the rape cases. The reaction to the Republicans candidates remarks about rape in the last election.

There were losses too -- access to abortion in the United States. But change is happening. It's not going to stop because some trendy people don't like the word "feminist."
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am not trendy in any way and I did not like the word feminist and did not call myself one for a lot of reasons. I have changed my mind on that thanks to you and lots of other good people on this site. I don't think it's necessarily the young people we have to be concerned about, although we should think of them.
I am not super in touch with 20 somethings. I do talk to my 10 year old about feminism and use that word as well! That would not have happened 4 years ago.

Change is happening and it is because people talk about things. I am so grateful for you and the conversations I have had on this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I see a lot of smart young women and men saying feminist things on the internet, and I don't spend that much time here. I don't know that they ID as feminists, but I doubt that most would baulk at the description.

I think what Katie Pery was acknowledging is that it's not a particularly cool thing to call yourself right now. But anyone serious enough to think beyond what's cool knows better. And, thank god, there are a lot of folks like that.

I don't think it matters how we market feminism, whether it is cool or not. It's a human rights issue. We are making progress on awareness of human rights issues around the world, including, maybe especially, women's rights.

Malala was not just an international cause celebre. She got a huge amount of support at home. The protests in India to the rape cases. The reaction to the Republicans candidates remarks about rape in the last election.

There were losses too -- access to abortion in the United States. But change is happening. It's not going to stop because some trendy people don't like the word "feminist."
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know how these algorithms or whatever they are called work, but Gerda Lerner's death keeps coming up as trending number one on Yahoo. That is kind of mind-blowing. I guess alot of us older folks had to read one or another of her books in college.

Kind of a good sign if it truly is trending.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Default What?

From the "Style" section of the Washington Post:

Four years later, feminists split by Michelle Obama’s ‘work’ as first lady

By Lonnae O’Neal Parker,

Jan 18, 2013 05:09 PM EST

In the opening moments of her second turn at history, as Michelle Obama waves at celebrants along Pennsylvania Avenue, Americans will clamor to see the first lady, who remains one of the most popular public figures in the country. In the most recent poll, fully 73 percent said they approve of the way she is handling her job.

But a significant group of Americans — feminist Americans — have been vocally disappointed with her choices and feel let down by her example.
In 2008, when Obama announced her intention to be “mom-in-chief,” many feminists decried her decision to give up her career and said she had been victimized by her husband’s choices. She was regarded as one of the women feminist Linda Hirshman described as “letting down the team.”

But most black feminists and writers had a different view. Let the sister get settled, they said. Give her a minute to do a head count. And if she wanted to focus on motherhood, for black women that was more than fine. It was arguably revolutionary, because black women were long denied the right — or lacked the means — to simply care for their own.

As she begins another four years in the White House, the nation’s feminists are divided about the “work” Obama has done, and the work they’d like to see her do.

This split has bitter historic roots. It surfaced during the suffrage movement, when white women suggested their votes could counter those of “the darker races,” and again in the 1970s, when black feminists broke away over the white middle-class focus of “women’s lib.”

Now, with an African American woman in the White House, these differences have rushed back to the fore.

Last year, after Obama and Ann Romney submitted recipes for a cookie contest, Hirshman told The Washington Post that Obama’s “first mom, gardener thing” is “silly.” Now, Hirshman says, “I’ve kind of lost interest in Michelle Obama. She was trapped by assumptions about race and had limited room to maneuver. Whether that was a welcome choice or she had no choice, I will never know. It’s very difficult to envision her as running for senator from the state of Illinois as you did with Hillary Clinton running for senator from the state of New York.”

“Are fashion and body-toning tips all we can expect from one of the most highly educated First Ladies in history?” asked author Leslie Morgan Steiner in an online column last January. She said she’d “read enough bland dogma on home-grown vegetables and aerobic exercise to last me several lifetimes.”

Steiner contended Obama probably had little leeway. “I’m sure there is immense pressure — from political advisors, the black community, her husband, the watching world — to play her role as First Black Lady on the safe side.”

Feminist discontent with the first lady spiked again last summer at the Democratic National Convention, after she called her daughters “the heart of my heart and the center of my world.” She then repeated her feminist crazy-maker: “You see, at the end of the day, my most important title is still ‘mom-in-chief.’ ”

-----------------------------------

My feelings on this article are basically:

Jesus Christ! Seriously?

But I'm curious - are there those of you out there who consider yourselves feminist who are critical of Michelle Obama's job as First Lady on feminist grounds?

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I like her a lot, but if you think that she hasn't chosen issues to get involved in that keep from being a lightening rod for controversy, you would be wrong. And she still got made fun of by the far right for the childhood obesity stuff. I think she will be able to branch out more this term if she wants. She has become someone a lot of people love and don't want to hear mean talk about.

But blaming people who would like her to take a risk is not the point. The point is the radical right who talked about the size of her ass and tried to piss on everything she did at the beginning.

I am sure she cares about military families, but I am also sure she took on that project because it's pretty much unassailable from the right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post

But I'm curious - are there those of you out there who consider yourselves feminist who are critical of Michelle Obama's job as First Lady on feminist grounds?
I think she's great. As far as feminism--it's about choice and empowerment/freedom to make those choices. If Michelle considers Mom-in-Chief to be her most important responsibility at this time, more power to her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default From Jezebel:

Faith Website Blocks Writer From Using That Icky Word ‘Feminism’ by Madeleine Davies

Early in January, Minnesota playwright, Presbyterian pastor and feminist Kristine Holmgren was asked to create a website for multi faith blogging network Beliefnet. "I'm negotiating 'terms' now," she announced excitedly on Facebook. Unfortunately, the negotiations have since fallen apart after Holmgren and the Beliefnet marketing analysts got in a disagreement about including the word "feminist" in the blog's title.

Holmgren received this email from Beliefnet marketing and business analyst Sharon Kirk:

We're ready to get started on the header for your blog however first we need the title of your blog and any creative direction you may have (i.e. colors you want to include, any themes, a headshot, etc.). I believe you and Jana previously tossed around a few title possibilities including "Feminist Pulpit Notes."

While I agree that title is certainly straight forward, I think it would resonate with our readers more if the title was a bit "softer." Our readers are looking for editorial that's uplifting, motivational, inspirational, etc. and I think your blog will perform better if the title speaks to that aspect of your blog. Do you have any ideas along those lines?

Holmgren then suggested "Sweet Truth — Thoughts of a Faithful Feminist." Friendly, chipper and soft as a puppy, right?

Then came the response from Beliefnet. Kirk wrote:

I love "Sweet Truth" however I would suggest changing the tag line or deleting all together as I'm concerned about the negative connotation that our readers may associate with the word feminism. In addition, we'll want this blog to focus more on Christianity/spirituality as opposed to issues related to feminism. What do you think of simply "Sweet Truths with Kristine Holmgren"?

Sure, or why not call it "Tasty Thoughtsy-Woughtsies"? Or "Blah, Blah, Blah: Unchallenging Thoughts from a Woman Who DEFINITELY Shaves Her Legs"? (Just spit ballin,' here.)

Side note: While Beliefnet is worried that the word "feminism" might offend someone, they have no issue about running ads and advice from Focus on the Family. Neat!

Holmgren posted this update on her Facebook wall Wednesday:

I spoke a few moments ago with the contact at BeliefNet. She told me — not only can I not use the word "feminist" in my title, I cannot use it on the blog..."The word offends so many people," she said. She said I should come up with a word that was "softer." I told her I didn't think there was anything "softer" than feminism; a word that denotes equality for men and women and respect for children and families. She said "I agree, but. . . " so I told her their inflexibility on this was a "deal breaker." She regretted my "feeling" on this (by the way — this isn't a "feeling." It's a "thought system." Some people's kids!!! ) and said, "We can conclude this without rancor." I said, "Oh, no we can't." I'm writing about this one.

On one hand, Beliefnet is a private company that's allowed to associate with whatever words they like. On the other, a private company that refuses to associate with an ideology that's fundamental principle is that you shouldn't treat women like garbage is a little fucking questionable.

Strangely, Beliefnet knew what Holmgren's point-of view was from the beginning. "I said to them ‘You've got to know that I'm a Presbyterian pastor, but I come to the world as a feminist.' They said, ‘That's fabulous. We want a wide range of views on the site,'" the writer said of her first interview. Later, of course, they got scared. Scared of offending people with something that isn't even offensive. Scared of offending people with women's rights. So much for faith...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Thanked 3,221 Times in 666 Posts
femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation

Far too recently in Canada, A motion brought before Parliament sought to have a committee examine whether a fetus should be considered a human being before it is born, and at what point exactly that designation should be given. Currently, the Criminal Code of Canada defines human life as beginning when a baby has completely emerged from its mother’s body.Canada’s Minister for the Status of Women (In a solid bitch slap to the women of Canada) joined nine other Conservative cabinet ministers and dozens of backbenchers in voting in favour of a motion to study the rights of the fetus.

In other news south of the Border:

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/20...lack-genocide/

Lila Watson

You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it.
You say you love sun, but you seek shade when its shining.
You say you love wind, but when its comes you close your window.
So that's why I'm scared, when you say you love me.

-- Bob Marley
femmeInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

femmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST ReputationfemmeInterrupted Has the BEST Reputation

"Since her death in 1979, the woman who discovered what the universe is made of has not so much as received a memorial plaque. Her newspaper obituaries do not mention her greatest discovery. […] Every high school student knows that Isaac Newton discovered gravity, that Charles Darwin discovered evolution, and that Albert Einstein discovered the relativity of time. But when it comes to the composition of our universe, the textbooks simply say that the most abundant atom in the universe is hydrogen. And no one ever wonders how we know."

~ Jeremy Knowles

Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, a truly extraordinary woman.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default DECLARATION OF THE INDIGENOUS WOMEN OF CSW57

http://nwac.ca/declaration-indigenou...9Ri5c.facebook

FIFTY SEVENTH MEETING OF THE COMMISSION ON THE STATUS OF WOMEN
From 4 to 15 March 2013, United Nations, New York

DECLARATION OF THE INDIGENOUS WOMEN OF CSW57

Reaffirming the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action Beijing, the Beijing Declaration of Indigenous Women, the twenty-third special session of the General Assembly and declarations adopted by the Commission during the tenth and fifteenth anniversaries of the Fourth World Women,

Recalling the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Article 22 paragraph 2, which states that States shall take measures, in conjunction with Indigenous Peoples, to ensure that Indigenous women and children enjoy the full protection and guarantees against all forms of violence and discrimination,

Recalling that the Commission on the Status of Women plays a key role in monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the progress made and challenges encountered in implementing the Beijing Platform for Action at all levels, and in our regions, and the intergovernmental regional and sub-regional organizations to advance women, to ensure compliance with the commitments that governments adopt at the Commission on the Status of Women,

Considering the recommendations made in the report of the meeting of the international group of experts: combating violence against Indigenous women and girls: article 22 of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, where they emphasized the inadequate statistical data on the extent of violence against Indigenous women and girls that are so important for the development and implementation of evidence-based policy, legislative reform and judicial training,

Stressing the need for an intercultural and situational analysis to address violence against Indigenous women, whereas studies on various aspects of identity and systems of patriarchal and colonial domination have interacted.

WE URGE ALL STATES TO:

1. Promote public policies and inter-cultural approaches to the full and effective participation of women and young people including in political processes, to eradicate and prevent violence. This includes institutionalized mechanisms in each country, specific areas or departments responsible for designing policies, programs and legislation, taking into account the multisectoral nature of the problem of women, girls and young people, aimed primarily at providing information, tools and trained professionals in the sectors responsible for justice, education, health and employment.

2. Review education systems at all levels to review and include an education based on the recognition of diversity and cultural differences, as a basis for respect between diverse and complex societies, recognized as equal in rights. The educational content should contribute to state multiculturalism, self-esteem, dignity and respect for differences as fundamental values ​​to eradicate violence and racism.

3. Establish funds and governmental agencies for research qualified to supply culturally appropriate tools and methodologies to deal with the forms and consequences of violence against women, girls and young people, including national budgets and fiscal policies aimed at the justice system to reduce or eliminate violence against Indigenous women and girls.

4. Consider and take actions to repair the negative impact that pollution, environmental destruction and development, including the extractive industries has on the lives of Indigenous women, as a form of violence from the perspective of collective rights.

5. Create mechanisms for accessibility to justice for Indigenous women, through training and awareness of staff and to reduce incarceration of Indigenous women and their contact with the criminal justice system, and administer justice in matters of individual and collective rights of Indigenous Peoples and women, with a focus on multiculturalism and gender.

6. Include the variable ethnic and cultural identification in all instruments that gather quantitative and qualitative information from census surveys of all kinds, in order to overcome the lack of specific and disaggregated information relating to women, children and young people to establish the necessary policies, programs and legislation.

7. Develop national action plans which include research components focusing on intercultural violence by identifying systematic, coordinated, multi-sectoral and holistic, sustainable measures to address the underlying poverty, discrimination, overincarceration and sexism.

8. Develop mechanisms of accountability to monitor government programs to combat violence against women and girls, which identifies the damage caused by discrimination and racism and promote appropriate recommendations to remedy these facts.

9. Ensure the active participation of Indigenous women in all consultation processes during the phases of development, implementation and evaluation of all programs, policy and legislation related to responses for victims of violence to government programs and strategic policy, and for anti-violence including a holistic approach for the primary prevention of violence which ensures that the underlying causes are addressed effectively.

Declared by:

Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention Legal Service of Victoria
Adivasi Women’s Network, India
Asia Indigenous Peoples Pact (AIPP)
Asia Indigenous Women’s Network
Chirapaq Centro de Culturas Indigenas del Peru Perú
Conservación, Investigación y Aprovechamiento de los Recursos Naturales (CIARENA)
Consejo Regional Indigena de Risaralda Colombia
Continental Network of Indigenous Women of the Americas (ECMIA)
Coporwa – La Communauté des Potiers du Rwanda
Il’laramatak Community Concerns
Indigenous Women’s Forum for Northeast India, India
Indígnenos Youth Network
Indigenous Youth Network of Ayacucho - Ñuqanchik
International Forum of Indigenous Women (FIMI)
La Alianza de Mujeres Indigenas de Centroamerica y Mexico
La organization Wangki Tangi
Naga Women's Union, India
Mudgin-gal Aboriginal Corporation
National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women’s Alliance
National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
Native Women’s Association of Canada
Partners of Community Organization (PACOS), Malaysia
The Sami Parliament

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Jean-Luc speaks out again!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...011042478.html

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Feminist Leadership

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/20...olicy-efforts/

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

As I watch and read the devastating and alarming news coming out of the U.S regarding rape culture and the media's "poor perpetrator" attitude towards two young men who clearly, ARE sexual predators, and thusly deserved to be labelled as such, I had another piece of women's reality cross my path much closer to home.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunde...men-stats.html

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/thu...on-report.html

Aboriginal women in jail
The Kenora jail has 30 beds for women.
Proportion of Aboriginal women admitted in 2011/12 — 93%
Proportion of Aboriginal women admitted l in 2001/02 — 83%
Proportion of Aboriginal women in all provincial jails in 2011/12 — 19%
Proportion of Aboriginal women in all provincial jails in 2001/02 — 11%
*source: Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services

This is the result of intergenerational trauma, systemic abuse and lived experiences of violence and poverty. The wrongful incarceration of women who need access to justice, appropriate response/services, and healing.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Default Just came across this

It literally made me blink.
I found this in a Radical Feminist 'space'.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
The Following User Says Thank You to femmeInterrupted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

TOTALLY my two favourite 'F' words!!

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
femmeInterrupted

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she works out well ;)
Relationship Status:
Happily married.

Lila Watson

-- Bob Marley