Old 11-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #3261
Vincent

How Do You Identify?:
Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him,he
Relationship Status:
just me

Vincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Before I go see Edward Norton's movie Motherless Brooklyn, I am going to read a 1974 classic biography written by Robert Caro: The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York.

It's biographic account of Robert Moses' life and how his prejudice toward people of color was baked into the fabric of structure of bridges and road ways of the surrounding NYC area. It's an period piece which examines how corruption can harm cities. I am on the wait list for the book and hope to read it soon.
Democracy now ,had a special on the fires deliberatly lit in the South Bronx,to rid the area of the poor and POC,and the resistance and resil;iance of the community.

I'm reading an Australian classic AB facey-A fortunate life
If Not Now-When
If Not Here-Where
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #3262
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Am reading about colorism around the world (part of the Shades of Black series) at The Guardian found at this link: https://www.theguardian.com/membersh...ies-race-issue. The series is very good

Unlike mainstream media outlets in the states, The Guardian has articles on race and its effect everyday. https://www.theguardian.com/world/race. Lucky me to have stumbled on it.
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #3263
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Native Realm: A Search for Self Definition (Czéslaw Milösz, 1911-2004)

Here's a book review of Native Realm: A Search for Self Definition (1968) tendered by The Guardian (LINK).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #3264
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I usually don't have a big stack. In fact I can't understand people who are constantly reading 8 books or something. I usually have A book. It's MY book. If I misplace it, there's panic. It's like an essential item of comfort and security until I'm finished. Then it's just a book again. That said, I have a stack right now.

Roman Myths by Michael Grant
Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry
The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolf
The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung
Rusty Brown by Chris Ware
The Oxford Book of Classical Verse in Translation
Spanish Ballads translated by W.S. Merwin
The Homeric Hymns translated by
Diane Rayor

The problem with this is that I have coming in the mail:

The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends who Shaped an Age by Leo Damrosch
Fortunes of War: The Balkan Trilogy by Olivia Manning
Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World 1300-1600 by Janet
Bennett
The Lost Man by Jane Harper
Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece by Patrick Lee Fermor
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #3265
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Another book on Reese Witherspoon's book club

The Other Woman....Sandie Jones

I won't copy and paste any reviews, just this little blimp:

Fiendishly twisty psychological thriller about a man, his new girlfriend, and the mother who will never let him go.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #3266
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default I'd posted somewhere about.......

One Walk in Winter by Georgia Beers

Completely lesbian romance fluff but just what I was in the mood for....

SPOILER.........

And of course yes she gets the girls.......
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #3267
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default The miseducation of cameron post

This book was recommended by either kris Bryant or Dyking Out.
But what a book. You get so absorbed in it.
A truly remarkable story that is part based on true events.
The film however is one of the worst film adaptions i have ever had the misfortune to watch.
Unlike the book where you connect profoundly with cameron.
The film doesn't manage to achieve whats so ever.
Just stick with the book.
Its s real gem
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #3268
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Since Christmas i have read four novels by Blake Crouch: Recursion as well as the Wayward Pines trilogy.

Highly recommended for just being absorbing as heck
Old 01-04-2020, 07:14 AM   #3269
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lord
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #3270
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,011 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

_Good In Bed_ by Jennifer Weiner. Yes, I know, I'm coming late to the party. I actually bought the book sometime last year. But I heard an interview with Jennifer Weiner and decided maybe I should go ahead and read it.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #3271
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I finally bought and am starting the first in the Game of Thrones series.

I loved the show sooo much. I’m excited to see what extras/differences the books hold.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #3272
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Wonderfully written. This author's first novel, captivating writing style, held my attention. It was a "I can't put it down". Highly recommend, even if you have to be 99 on a waiting list!

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #3273
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default TEMPTATION -KRIS BRYANT

I liked this book. But i do like kris byrant books in general.
She writes mostly lesbian romance, which until a few years ago i thought wouldn't be something i would be interested in.
This book is a more easy book of hers to read. You pretty much know where the story will end.
Its not my favourite of hers, but still it was good to read.
Kris Bryant books i can recommend whole heartedly are Touch (the chemistry is off the chart in this book), Forget Me Not, Falling. And Taste is a absolute great book if you are into cooking and romance (one of my favs because of the way kris describes the cooking and food side of things)
And if you like fairy short stories And kittens that steal the limelight in a book Tinsel. (i am more of a dog fan but even i fell in love with this precious kitten)
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM   #3274
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

_Kitty and the Midnight Hour_ by Carrie Vaughn. Werewolves, vampires, sex. I'm not sure I'm really going to like this book - although it has a lot of fans - but I'll probably finish it. It will be a quick and easy read, and right now I need some bubblegum for my brain.

- Prince
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #3275
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

I finished _Kitty and the Midnight Hour_ by Carrie Vaughn. IThen I finished _Kitty Goes to Washington_, and now I'm reading _Kitty Takes a Holiday_. They're amusing and very relaxing.

I've also started _Make Your Home Among Strangers_ by Jennine Capo Crucet. It's a book that wouldn't normally have appeared on my radar, but about a week ago there was a story in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Apparently some special snowflake students at a Georgia public college (I forget which one) had a book burning. The book is required reading for all entering freshmen, and it's part of their cultural diversity program. Some white students took the whole white privilege idea wrong, as some usually do. Well, just say "book burning" and it makes me want to read the book. It's a YA novel about a Cuban American college student and her experiences attending a prestigious and mostly white college. I'm looking forward to it.

- Prince
Old 02-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #3276
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,587 Times in 4,690 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
_Kitty and the Midnight Hour_ by Carrie Vaughn. Werewolves, vampires, sex. I'm not sure I'm really going to like this book - although it has a lot of fans - but I'll probably finish it. It will be a quick and easy read, and right now I need some bubblegum for my brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
I finished _Kitty and the Midnight Hour_ by Carrie Vaughn. IThen I finished _Kitty Goes to Washington_, and now I'm reading _Kitty Takes a Holiday_. They're amusing and very relaxing.

I've also started _Make Your Home Among Strangers_ by Jennine Capo Crucet. It's a book that wouldn't normally have appeared on my radar, but about a week ago there was a story in the Chronicle of Higher Education. Apparently some special snowflake students at a Georgia public college (I forget which one) had a book burning. The book is required reading for all entering freshmen, and it's part of their cultural diversity program. Some white students took the whole white privilege idea wrong, as some usually do. Well, just say "book burning" and it makes me want to read the book. It's a YA novel about a Cuban American college student and her experiences attending a prestigious and mostly white college. I'm looking forward to it.
I have been looking for some brain bubblegum in the form of a good long series and i see that there are FOURTEEN of these??? Will definitely check them out

Like, i sincerely enjoyed the MaryJanice Davidson Undead and Unpopular, etc. series...
Old 02-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #3277
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default In my spare time ...

The Ethics of Ambiguity (Simone de Beauvoir, 1947).

I'm slowly reading Simone de Beauvoir's book and supplemental reading material, a relevant essay, authored by Charlotte Moore (LINK).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #3278
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lord

This book was mentioned several times in My Autobiography of Carson McCullers..by Jenn Shapland

I may put this on my reading list......
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #3279
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Re-reading........

Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Memoirs of a Literary Forger: Lee Israel

It's only a bit over a hundred pages but it's packed with goodies.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #3280
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Default Also re-reading

My Autobiography of Carson McCullers: A Memoir by Jenn Shapland

While working as an intern in the archives at the Harry Ransom Center, Jenn Shapland encounters the love letters of Carson and a woman named Annemarie—letters are that are tender, intimate, and unabashed in their feelings. Shapland recognizes herself in the letters’ language—but does not see Carson as history has portrayed her.

And so, Shapland is compelled to undertake a recovery of the full narrative and language of Carson's life: She wades through the therapy transcripts; she stays at Carson’s childhood home, where she lounges in her bathtub and eats delivery pizza; she relives Carson’s days at her beloved Yaddo. As Shapland reckons with the expanding and collapsing distance between her and Carson, she sees the way Carson’s story has become a way to articulate something about herself. The results articulate something entirely new not only about this one remarkable, walleyed life, but about the way we tell queer love stories.

In genre-defying vignettes, Jenn Shapland interweaves her own story with Carson McCullers’s to create a vital new portrait of one of America’s most beloved writers, and shows us how the writers we love and the stories we tell about ourselves make us who we are.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading