Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 04-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Katzchen, I just floated over to this thread to let folks know of this film. Thank you for posting this because I don't know how to put up videos like the above.

I was saying in the other thread that I had been feeling like utter crap for 4 months. I was so fatigued, felt physically sluggish, was sleeping all day both days of the weekend. I didn't know what was up. I had no idea that it could be about my increase in eating meat (chicken...from once a week to several times a week) and dairy (from no cheese, to cheese 1-2 times a week) and eating processed foods (from very rare, to somewhat common).

Within a couple of days of eating vegan, fresh foods, I started feeling better. I just started this past Tuesday. Now the weekend is over and I had energy from morning until night for both days, with no naps.

Was it Hippocrates who said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food"

Katzchen, I have been taking Tumeric since my colon cancer in 2010. I was off point for a couple of years due to cost, but I have been back on it for a while. Chronic disease is all about inflammation and Tumeric is the butt kicker (well that, and a plant based diet)!
Yes, I believe it was Hippocrates. What a brilliant physician, right?!?!!

I'm not that overweight, but the foods I thought were so good turned out to be poison. Poison as in: sugar, flours, and most types of meat (bacon, any red meat, white meat, etc), except I can have fish in very small portions. But eventually I hope to be entirely free of meat, any animal meat. I am invested heavily for my own sake in correcting my food choices, permanently. And yes, 100 percent agree with you that Plant Based Food choices leave you in the best shape possible, as well as full of energy!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #22
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Fast forward to 2:39 for the recipe

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Thanks Dominique for your post (and the recipe)!

I've been doing fairly well on my anti-inflammatory, plant based diet. I keep losing about a pound and a half as each week rolls by. I'm down 10 pounds since about 5 or six weeks into radically changing the foods I eat.

I have an followup appt in two weeks with my primary care doctor and if my blood sugar count stays below and stabilizes over the next few months, then there's a chance that I won't have to take medication as an intervention in my overall health.

I appreciate all the useful tips and resources that you and others provide. Thanks so very much!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #24
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

I'm going to grow both ginger root and turmeric in my garden this year. Turmeric roots are expensive to buy, and are said to be very easy to grow. You can even grow them in a container! I hope this isn't too off topic

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Tumeric......

Is definitely my new 'savior', my new best friend, for real. I'm actually very interested in growing my own. Sounds like a new adventure and great summertime activity. Thanks for that VERY useful post and no, I don't think it's off topic at all.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #26
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Forager Cashewgurt & Bolthouse Plant Milk

I buy non-dairy, vegan, organic, zero sugar yogurt at either Trader Joe's or at my favorite grocery store. I use the plain variety in food prep like when I make my Tumeric salad dressing.

Here's the latest way I make my Tumeric Salad Dressing:

2- 6 ounce single serving cartons of Forager Cashewgurt.
1/2 cup plain Bolthouse Plant Milk
3 heaping tablespoons of Tumeric
2/3 cup flax seed powder (organic)
Generous amount of cracked peppercorns
A splash of Sesame Seed Oil (1/4 cup or less)
Filtered water

Directions: put all of the above ingredients into the blender and blend up until creamy smooth. If your finished mixture is thick, add filtered water until it's in an pourable state. Store in covered glass jars and keep refrigerated.

Here's an helpful video about Forager Cashewgurt:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #27
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

So, guys. I was away at a conference through yesterday morning and the choices of food were limited. I actually didn't have the option to eat vegan, or even vegatarian at some meals (which was surprising, actually). Anyway, I felt like crap for those days. I ate my last meal, lunch yesterday there and I still feel like crap today.

So crazy how much my energy level is impacted by food. I am going to head to the co-op now since the cupboard is empty.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #28
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Smile

Quote:
So, guys. I was away at a conference through yesterday morning and the choices of food were limited. I actually didn't have the option to eat vegan, or even vegatarian at some meals (which was surprising, actually). Anyway, I felt like crap for those days. I ate my last meal, lunch yesterday there and I still feel like crap today.

So crazy how much my energy level is impacted by food. I am going to head to the co-op now since the cupboard is empty.
That's the new challenge I face, Dapper. That must have been so hard, not finding the types of foods you need on the menu. Just a few days ago, my friend and colleague from work took us out to dinner. I already knew where we'd go (Olive Garden, her favorite restaurant). So I put some of my own veggies and berries and dry salad fixings (Sesame Tahini sticks, raisins, Chia seeds, and walnuts), and took my own bottle of Tumeric salad dressing. I couldn't have any of the regular Italian cuisine fare on the menu, just their base garden salad and pepperocini peppers. My salad looked awesome and was very filling, after I put my own veggies and stuff on it. Of course, it would have been great if I didn't have to take my own salad fixings, and of course not every restaurant will allow you to do that.

This summer I'm going to be looking for different types of food venues because my favorite places to have lunch or supper, or even breakfast, don't really cater to the vegan crowd.

But, heck yes, I feel better sticking to an plant based diet. The energy one feels is so very uplifting, you feel vibrant and alive.

If you find any good vegan foods at the co-op, I hope you'll share about them here. Happy shopping, Dapper!
Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #29
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

With this conference they had a buffet each day. A very small one. So, it was not like I could tell them to "hold" the cheese in the items, like I could at a restaurant.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Miyoko Shinner | The Vegan Pantry (2015)

Quote:
With this conference they had a buffet each day. A very small one. So, it was not like I could tell them to "hold" the cheese in the items, like I could at a restaurant.
Speaking of cheese, lol (or not), I've found a few types of vegan cheese at Trader Joe's or Green Zebra, but they're expensive to buy. Instead, i found an Wisconsin based, zero sugar, high protien Mascarpone cheese, but it's dairy and I break.out from eating even the teaspoon of it that i use, infrequently. So .... I found this book by Google search and I plan to get it soon.

There's lots of ways you can make your own vegan fare at home and I plan to learn how to make my own.

Here's the book:

Later on, next month, I'll post about a few of the recipes I try and give a short report about how handy this book will be to have on hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #31
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post

I buy non-dairy, vegan, organic, zero sugar yogurt at either Trader Joe's or at my favorite grocery store. I use the plain variety in food prep like when I make my Tumeric salad dressing.

Here's the latest way I make my Tumeric Salad Dressing:

2- 6 ounce single serving cartons of Forager Cashewgurt.
1/2 cup plain Bolthouse Plant Milk
3 heaping tablespoons of Tumeric
2/3 cup flax seed powder (organic)
Generous amount of cracked peppercorns
A splash of Sesame Seed Oil (1/4 cup or less)
Filtered water

Directions: put all of the above ingredients into the blender and blend up until creamy smooth. If your finished mixture is thick, add filtered water until it's in an pourable state. Store in covered glass jars and keep refrigerated.

Here's an helpful video about Forager Cashewgurt:

In case you are interested in making your own vegan yogurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O-0...ature=youtu.be
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #32
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
In case you are interested in making your own vegan yogurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O-0...ature=youtu.be
oohhhhh, thanks Tantalizing, I've got your link book marked now. Thanks, so very much!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #33
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Smart Food Tip: Vegan Rainbow Buddha Bowl with Cashew Tahini Sauce

LINK TO RECIPE:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/260...-tahini-sauce/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #34
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
Post Food Documentaries

Quote:
If anybody has watched a good food documentaries, please post about it here. I always love to read or watch good films, so feel free to add your recommendations too, okay?

Cowspiracy 2014
What the Health 2017
Food Choices 2016
Forks Over Knives 2011
Vegucated 2011
Live and Let Live 2013
Food, Inc. 2008
Food Matters 2008
Hungry For Change 2012
Okja 2017
Blackfish 2013
Tyke Elephant Outlaw 2015
Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead 2010 & 2014
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #35
Chained Daisy

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 1,820 Times in 532 Posts
Chained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumPearl View Post
Cowspiracy 2014
What the Health 2017
Food Choices 2016
Forks Over Knives 2011
Vegucated 2011
Live and Let Live 2013
Food, Inc. 2008
Food Matters 2008
Hungry For Change 2012
Okja 2017
Blackfish 2013
That`s an extensive and useful list, thanks for sharing.

I am half agony, half hope, Jane Austen
Chained Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chained Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #36
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumPearl View Post
Cowspiracy 2014
What the Health 2017
Food Choices 2016
Forks Over Knives 2011
Vegucated 2011
Live and Let Live 2013
Food, Inc. 2008
Food Matters 2008
Hungry For Change 2012
Okja 2017
Blackfish 2013
My favorite documentaries are Forks Over Knives, What The Health, and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Thanks for your additional listing of food documentaries, Pearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chained Daisy View Post
That`s an extensive and useful list, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for dropping by, Daisy.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #37
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Today I dropped by my.primary doctor's office for my check up. I'm down five pounds, since last month, for a total loss of 17 pounds since the first week of March.

I dropped by my favorite grocery store to buy a few groceries, mostly plant based foods, all organic, and got a great price on Plant Milk, by Bolthouse Farms.

I am now a firm believer in eating an 99 percent plant based diet. I add to my dietary intake of extra protein by using Think Thin bars (one per day, for dessert after supper ), and I also sparingly use fresh salmon, albacore tuna and mackerel or smoked oysters..... very sparingly, throughout the month. Organic cage free eggs too, sparingly.

Eventually, I will replace fish with fish oil Omega 3 vitamin supplements.

I love the weight loss I've encountered by adhering to an primarily Plant Based diet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #38
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Platium Pearl! Thank you so much for this list!

Katzchen, have you also noticed an increase in energy since you went plant based?

I am wondering if anyone can suggest any vegan cookbooks? I am looking for easy to make meals that also freeze well.

Thanks

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #39
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Platium Pearl! Thank you so much for this list!

Katzchen, have you also noticed an increase in energy since you went plant based?

I am wondering if anyone can suggest any vegan cookbooks? I am looking for easy to make meals that also freeze well.

Thanks
Ohhhh, gosh, yes..... the energy I get from eating plant based diet foods is incredible! So far, I've yet to experience any food coma from eating plants. Which is a sure fire sign that your body is getting the BEST nutrition because plants scrub your body free of toxic elements. No meat based diet will ever scrub your body free of toxicity. No more coma land for me, thank heavens.

I have to ask why you're interested in freezing up your fresh foods. Is it because you are short of time to prepare your food? Or is it because you want to take your meals to work or carry with you in case of needing to eat elsewhere?

I can see why a person might want to freeze prepared meals ahead of time, but I was thinking it might not be such an kosher idea because food prep should be fresh. Plants should be fresh. Your time spent in preparing a fresh meal adds toward the time spent to sit down and enjoy a fresh meal.

I don't know though..... maybe someone in our community has experience with freezing fresh foods. I know you did not ask for my own personal take on freezing foods, but consider this:

Fresh food is by far better than consuming food that is not fresh. Also, fresh food is time worthy investment of your time well spent in creating better food behaviors and making better smart food choices. You could prepare an extra salad to take to work with you. If you make some awesome food creation that has a few left over servings, like an vegan casserole or vegan pizza or vegan soup, I could see refrigerating it for a couple of days, but the benefits of eating fresh foods outweighs the need to freeze or refrigerate.

But I think this is an worthy discussion to have because it's an examination of sorts which requires us to hold ourselves accountable to making better choices, eating fresh foods vs foods that are not freshly made, and it's good to sort out important matters to help create and foster an environment that supports smarter food and health behaviors.

I have yet to buy the vegan cookbook I featured in another post, but tomorrow is the day I plan to go by Powell's bookstore, to see if I can find a good vegan cookbook, at an good price.

Dapper, let's keep talking about time related issues as it concerns Plant Food Diet choices.

If I find a bunch of resources for you tomorrow, I'll post about them, ok?

Cheers,
Kätzchen
Old 05-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #40
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:

I have to ask why you're interested in freezing up your fresh foods. Is it because you are short of time to prepare your food? Or is it because you want to take your meals to work or carry with you in case of needing to eat elsewhere?

I have yet to buy the vegan cookbook I featured in another post, but tomorrow is the day I plan to go by Powell's bookstore, to see if I can find a good vegan cookbook, at an good price.
Oh for certain fresh is better than frozen! I have a surgery scheduled for June, and I need to have prepared food, so I can just microwave it while I am recovering. I know it is not the best, but it is what it is!

I forgot you posted that book!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: