How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,622 Times in 2,488 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
I think calling the rat's ass fat only adds insult to injury.
You know I never thought about that. I certainly wouldn’t want to hurt their little rat feelings. However there is no injury because “I couldn’t give a fat rat’s ass” means they get to keep their chubby little derrieres.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #62
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

damm I dont have rats will mice do??? i promise not to get the 1 ccb threw out last month
Teddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teddybear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #63
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,109 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tick View Post
You know I never thought about that. I certainly wouldn’t want to hurt their little rat feelings. However there is no injury because “I couldn’t give a fat rat’s ass” means they get to keep their chubby little derrieres.
Well, maybe you HAVE a rat's ass but you just can't give it.

<--------stopping now, seriously

My Patreon

My Website
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #64
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post

<--------stopping now, seriously
You could say "that is all"
because that's not overused.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #65
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You could say "that is all"
because that's not overused.
Whatevs...

My Patreon

My Website
The Following User Says Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #66
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Walmarts and Kmarts. Those words are like nails on a chalkboard.... (oh, and yeah, I guess that is one to get rid of too).

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #67
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameonboy View Post
using the word "ideal" instead of idea..

like.. "That's a great ideal."

UGH!!!!
I used to get a lot of 'idears' from people in TX.

No.

Quote:
For all intensive purposes – what does that mean? For reasons that have a high degree of emotional excitement or depth of feeling?
I grew up with it being 'for all intents and purposes'. I've never heard it as 'intensive purposes'. That makes no sense. The former makes sense, but it's not a frequently used phrase anymore, is it?

For the record, you are very, very strange. But it's a likeable strange, not a serial killer kind of strange.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #68
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

the word "YO" as in someone saying YO YO hold up a min.I can't stand it, it just rubs me sideways........eeeerrrrkkkk.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #69
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I grew up with it being 'for all intents and purposes'. I've never heard it as 'intensive purposes'. That makes no sense. The former makes sense, but it's not a frequently used phrase anymore, is it?
Well, yes, the correct terminology is indeed for all intents and purposes. However, I have heard some people over the years say for all intensive purposes. I would like that phrase to die.

And if for all intents and purposes is not frequently used anymore, I guess I'm behind the times because i do use it a bit.

Also from the same post I understand the correct terminology is not suppository of information but is instead repository of information. I only know one person who says that and he also says self defecating humor. So maybe it's an anal kind of fixation. But I still wish he would stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post

For the record, you are very, very strange. But it's a likeable strange, not a serial killer kind of strange.
Oh. Two verys. Very, very. That's can't be good.

Likable though. That's good.

Thanks. I guess.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #70
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thought this was interesting-hope you do too...

Origin

When researching the development of a phrase it is usually the origin that is difficult to determine; the spelling and the meaning are generally pretty well established. With 'for (or to) all intents and purposes' it is the other way about. The origin is unambiguous, as the first recorded use was in an Act of Parliament under Henry VIII, in 1546:

"to all intents, constructions, and purposes"

Henry didn't shilly-shally when it came to the law of England. In 1539, he had Parliament pass the Statute of Proclamations, which gave him power to legislate by proclamation. In effect, from that date, the law was 'to all intents and purposes' whatever Henry VIII said it was. He made good use of this freedom; as well as executing a brace of wives, many others with whom Henry didn't see eye to eye were hanged, beheaded, burned or boiled, often for quite minor offences.

The meaning of 'to all intents and purposes' is less clear. 'Intents' and 'purposes' are words that we aren't likely to come across very often in the 21st century, outside of legal documents. The phrase, like many a legal phrase before and since, is rather obtuse and difficult to decipher. What is meant when a thing is said to be true 'for all intents and purposes' is 'it isn't actually true but it it so close to being so that we may proceed as though it is'. An example may help:

Isaac Newton's Laws of Motion aren't 100% precise in describing the motion of objects that approach the speed of light. However, for a man on a horse who measures time by a pocket watch, they are, for all intents and purposes, accurate.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...-purposes.html

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #71
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanks, Anya.

I also say "for all intents an purposes" a lot, and think I have said it with the correct meaning although I did not know the history of the phrase. As a saying I find it to be useful.

People saying "for all intensive purposes" and having no idear how wrong they are is, indeed, highly annoying. But when I thought about it more I enjoyed the thought of using "for all intensive purposes" LITERALLY. I think that could be funny.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #72
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I do not like the word suck or sucks. It needs to die.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #73
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Origin

When researching the development of a phrase it is usually the origin that is difficult to determine; the spelling and the meaning are generally pretty well established. With 'for (or to) all intents and purposes' it is the other way about. The origin is unambiguous, as the first recorded use was in an Act of Parliament under Henry VIII, in 1546:

"to all intents, constructions, and purposes"

Henry didn't shilly-shally when it came to the law of England. In 1539, he had Parliament pass the Statute of Proclamations, which gave him power to legislate by proclamation. In effect, from that date, the law was 'to all intents and purposes' whatever Henry VIII said it was. He made good use of this freedom; as well as executing a brace of wives, many others with whom Henry didn't see eye to eye were hanged, beheaded, burned or boiled, often for quite minor offences.

The meaning of 'to all intents and purposes' is less clear. 'Intents' and 'purposes' are words that we aren't likely to come across very often in the 21st century, outside of legal documents. The phrase, like many a legal phrase before and since, is rather obtuse and difficult to decipher. What is meant when a thing is said to be true 'for all intents and purposes' is 'it isn't actually true but it it so close to being so that we may proceed as though it is'. An example may help:

Isaac Newton's Laws of Motion aren't 100% precise in describing the motion of objects that approach the speed of light. However, for a man on a horse who measures time by a pocket watch, they are, for all intents and purposes, accurate.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...-purposes.html
Okay, I've heard of dilly dallying but not shilly-shally. Noting the similarities between the phrases, I assumed it had a similar if not the same definition.

I was right! Yay. I like that feeling when it's not something bad.

Thanks for exposing something new to me today, Anya.

shilly-shally

"vacillate," 1703, earlier shill I, shall I (1700), fanciful reduplication of shall I? (cf. wishy-washy, dilly-dally, etc.). Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #74
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

"Heighth" - It's not a word. Okay, maybe it is a dialect variant of a word but to me, it's not a word. Stop it!

"6 Foot" to describe someone who is X feet tall. "Oh yeah, he's 6 foot". No, he's 6 feet! Again, probably grammatically correct but annoying.

"Move Forward" For me, it depends on the context this is used. I don't like it when I hear it from sales people because it sounds fake to me. "Can we move forward with this project? Should I move forward with the design?" It's one of those polite-nice ways of saying, "I want to start on the project/sell you this widget so I can make money from you." Just say proceed or get started. It's more honest.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #75
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
"Heighth" - It's not a word. Okay, maybe it is a dialect variant of a word but to me, it's not a word. Stop it!
It's not a word. But the good news is if enough people use it and get all of their friends to use it over time it could become a word. Supposedly language evolves. Although evolve is generally thought to mean to change or develop slowly often into a better, more complex, or more advanced state.

I guess better is a relative term. Or perhaps often is the operative word in that sentence.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #76
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Seemingly Not Rational

But, for some reason…I just loathe the use of:

'puter.
birfday.

Just say no. As in, no more.
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BestButchBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #77
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestButchBoy View Post
But, for some reason…I just loathe the use of:

'puter.
birfday.

Just say no. As in, no more.
Very rational.

They are not actual words but someone's invention/creation.

I wish they would stop it.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #78
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestButchBoy View Post
birfday.
I hate what sounds like adult baby talk. Like birfday. Or sammiches, sammies and the particularly loathsome num nums. I wish it would stop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #79
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default "Man Up"

Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #80
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Oh, HAI! *stealz and om nom nom noms your sammiches*

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:

Tags
annoying, phrases, words