Notices

Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #501
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orema View Post
I don't think I’ve seen that one. I saw the episode “Time Enough at Last” where Meredith suddenly finds himself alone in the world and I like that one a lot.

One of my favorites is “The Invaders” with Agnes Moorehead where she’s pretty much acting alone, says few (if any) words, and has some unexpected visitors. So good.

Rod Serling was something else.
The Real Martian was the cook and you knew because he lifted his hat and exposed a third eye.........
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #502
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I have NOT watched this yet but I found it interesting that Kodak which stopped making Kodachrome film nearly a decade ago is about to make an unusual comeback thanks to this movie. ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #503
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Wink Genius - Picasso

Am presently watching and enjoying National Geographic's tv biopic series - Genius: Picasso, available on Amazon's streaming site.

I hope that it doesn't discourage me as much as National Geographic's "Genius: Einstein", which I had to stop watching because of the callous way he dumped women, and left a trail of broken hearts.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #504
Chained Daisy

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 1,820 Times in 532 Posts
Chained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST ReputationChained Daisy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Recently enjoyed.

I am half agony, half hope, Jane Austen
Chained Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chained Daisy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #505
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,087 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

While waiting for mom I watched Revolutionary Road. That's two hours I'll never get back.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #506
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Handmaid's Tale

It is absolutely stellar this season.

The first season was terrific but the first 3 episodes this season have made me gasp a couple of times.

It is a vision of America that the ultra-right wing would see as a good thing.

But not very good at all for women.

New episodes each Wednesday on Hulu.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #507
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw the first episode of season two of The Handmaid's Tale, and I'm still in. I continue to be mortified, but that is how horror works, right?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #508
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I am rewatching Justified. In season 1.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:56 AM   #509
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Smile The Rain

This is a post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi thriller, a 2018 Netflix release, in Danish with English audio and English subs.

"The world as we know it has ended. Six years after a brutal virus carried by the rain wiped out almost all humans in Scandinavia, two Danish siblings emerge from the safety of their bunker to find all remnants of civilization gone. Soon they join a group of young survivors and together set out on a danger-filled quest through abandoned Scandinavia, searching for any sign of life. Set free from their collective past and societal rules the group has the freedom to be who they want to be. In their struggle for survival, they discover that even in a post-apocalyptic world there's still love, jealousy, coming of age, and many of the problems they thought they'd left behind with the disappearance of the world they once knew."

I have watched the first episode and the feel of it reminds me of the classic cult post-apocalyptic BBC cult classic "The Last Train [aka Cruel Earth]", done in 1999. So, there is more emphasis on character development.

In that sense, it isn't a Hollywood blockbuster, but I am into the second episode and it gets better and there is more action now; I'm enjoying it.
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #510
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
This is a post-apocalyptic Sci-Fi thriller, a 2018 Netflix release, in Danish with English audio and English subs.

"The world as we know it has ended. Six years after a brutal virus carried by the rain wiped out almost all humans in Scandinavia, two Danish siblings emerge from the safety of their bunker to find all remnants of civilization gone. Soon they join a group of young survivors and together set out on a danger-filled quest through abandoned Scandinavia, searching for any sign of life. Set free from their collective past and societal rules the group has the freedom to be who they want to be. In their struggle for survival, they discover that even in a post-apocalyptic world there's still love, jealousy, coming of age, and many of the problems they thought they'd left behind with the disappearance of the world they once knew."

I have watched the first episode and the feel of it reminds me of the classic cult post-apocalyptic BBC cult classic "The Last Train [aka Cruel Earth]", done in 1999. So, there is more emphasis on character development.

In that sense, it isn't a Hollywood blockbuster, but I am into the second episode and it gets better and there is more action now; I'm enjoying it.
I finished watching the episodes yesterday. I thought it was pretty good. A couple of times I thought it defied belief but overall: pretty good.

There must be a season 2 because of the way it ended. It is a Swedish series.

With Netflix, it takes so long for them to stream an additional season of anything, I have to watch the recap to remind myself what each series was about.

I think it has been a year since they streamed season 1 but season 2 of the series 3% is finally up. It is another dystopian series and it is pretty good too- at least the first season was.

I loved the Italian series Gomorrah. It is based on the acclaimed movie of the same name.

Season 3 is streaming in the U.K. now, as of March (Sky TV?) and the first 2 were on Sundance originally.

Netflix has seasons 1 and 2. Three is nowhere to be found in the US yet.

It is subtitled in English. Great series if you like realistic crime series.

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

The Following User Says Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #511
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:

Default God's own country

Terrific movie.

Really heartfelt, meaningful and sweet.

Netflix.

~Washington Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #512
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

I'm rewatching Billions. So good!

Vikings just appeared on Amazon Prime! Also, very good!
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #513
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Default Patrick Melrose

I just finished watching the 1st episode of "Patrick Melrose", a Showtime release, wow!! I have no experience of such abuse as the author of this biopic limited series had [Edward St Aubyn], nor of the ensuing drug abuse, what an eye opener!

(not for the faint of heart, 4 more episodes to air)

"In a tour de force role, Benedict Cumberbatch plays the titular character who struggles to overcome the damage inflicted by a horribly abusive father and the mother who tacitly condoned his behavior. Academy Award nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight) and Screen Actors Guild® winner Hugo Weaving (The Matrix trilogy) also star as the parents of Patrick Melrose. Rounding out this accomplished cast are Anna Madeley (The Crown), Blythe Danner (Meet the Fockers), Allison Williams (Girls), Pip Torrens (The Crown), Jessica Raine (Call the Midwife), Prasanna Puwanarajah (Doctor Foster), Holliday Grainger (Bonnie & Clyde), Indira Varma (Game of Thrones) and Celia Imrie (Bridget Jones's Baby). Each episode, devoted to one of the five novels, is written for television by BAFTA Award® nominee David Nicholls (Far from the Madding Crowd, One Day) and directed by celebrated film director Edward Berger (Deutchland 83, Jack). A co-production between SHOWTIME and Sky Atlantic, this gripping and humorous saga encompasses the South of France in the 1960s, New York in the 1980s and Britain in the early 2000s."

It sure made quite beat the heck out of watching the most boring "Diana" 2003, which I couldn't quite finish watching - like watching paint dry, which never quite dried.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #514
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 05-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #515
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,369 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

I can't watch it. I read one of the books, and I knew I couldn't. Just that scene in the trailer where the dad opens the door, then the little boy walks in . . . No. Not going to do it. I kind of wish I could. I like the actor. The fact that, although it's fiction, it's based on real events . . . It's just too disturbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
I just finished watching the 1st episode of "Patrick Melrose", a Showtime release, wow!! I have no experience of such abuse as the author of this biopic limited series had [Edward St Aubyn], nor of the ensuing drug abuse, what an eye opener!

(not for the faint of heart, 4 more episodes to air)

"In a tour de force role, Benedict Cumberbatch plays the titular character who struggles to overcome the damage inflicted by a horribly abusive father and the mother who tacitly condoned his behavior. Academy Award nominee Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight) and Screen Actors Guild® winner Hugo Weaving (The Matrix trilogy) also star as the parents of Patrick Melrose. Rounding out this accomplished cast are Anna Madeley (The Crown), Blythe Danner (Meet the Fockers), Allison Williams (Girls), Pip Torrens (The Crown), Jessica Raine (Call the Midwife), Prasanna Puwanarajah (Doctor Foster), Holliday Grainger (Bonnie & Clyde), Indira Varma (Game of Thrones) and Celia Imrie (Bridget Jones's Baby). Each episode, devoted to one of the five novels, is written for television by BAFTA Award® nominee David Nicholls (Far from the Madding Crowd, One Day) and directed by celebrated film director Edward Berger (Deutchland 83, Jack). A co-production between SHOWTIME and Sky Atlantic, this gripping and humorous saga encompasses the South of France in the 1960s, New York in the 1980s and Britain in the early 2000s."

It sure made quite beat the heck out of watching the most boring "Diana" 2003, which I couldn't quite finish watching - like watching paint dry, which never quite dried.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #516
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,278 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation
Default Loch Ness - Acorn TV

No, not about the monster.
"The beautiful, haunting shores of Scotland's most iconic loch is the stunning backdrop for the new six-part crime drama. In a community nourished and sustained by myth and bordered by untamed nature, the search for a serial killer becomes a matter of life and death for local detective Annie Redford (Laura Fraser, Breaking Bad)."
Old 05-24-2018, 10:08 PM   #517
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I am watching a documentary called One Of Us about Hasidic Jews and how they treat people who leave, how they have their own schools, etc and rely on government welfare.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 PM   #518
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Cool Strange Angel

I have just finished watching episode 1 of the new TV Series "Strange Angel" (being shown on CBS All Access), and I have no idea how to describe it - weird, wacky, it's a biopic series about John Whiteside "Jack" Parsons, the rocket scientist, one of the principal founders of the Jet Propulsion Lab at Caltech.
It's so weird, that IMDb has listed it as Sci-fi (lol).
Perhaps a few quotes I found online various sites will help:
“The story follows the life of Jack Parsons, a mysterious and brilliant man in 1940s Los Angeles, who by day helps birth the entirely unknown discipline of American rocketry, and by night is a performer of sex magick rituals and a disciple to occultist Aleister Crowley.”
Now if anyone has heard of Crowley, he was famous for saying:
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law."
Ya know - black magic, the dark side, evil...

spoiler alert - as follows:
Oh, and Parsons also knew L. Ron Hubbard - ya know, the guy who invented Scientology, or should I say, Parsons knew Hubbard cause after Parson's going with his ex's sister, this sister later dumped Parsons for Hubbard (both of whom defrauded Parsons of his life's savings)!!!!
Like this is a real story, jeez, can't wait to see the other episodes (chuckling).
Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #519
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

Currently watching Wynonna Earp.

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:34 AM   #520
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
The Real Martian was the cook and you knew because he lifted his hat and exposed a third eye.........
Actually the dude with the 3rd eye was from Venus.

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote