Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,993 Times in 2,596 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default Suits?

I’m looking for a suit to wear to a GLBTQ prom and I’m wondering where y’all have gone for suits in the past. Any good/bad experiences? Tricks? I really alway a men’s suit, but not where the jacket is to my knees.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

For a complete suit, I've gone to a men's clothing store. They can do minor adjustments. For separate suitcoat and trousers, I've taken the jacket to a tailor for adjustment which would incur additional cost.

Difficult to have major adjustments for a perfect fit unless bespoke (think The Kingsmen movie).

Hope that helps.

Edit to add which style you like: Dbl or single breasted, length, type of lapel, vented or not, etc. Lots to consider depending on your body type.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #3
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Nat,

If you are not a tall person, get the 3 button jacket. Sometimes they are a little harder to locate. Also, suit jackets as well as sports jackets come in lengths of S (short) R (regular) L (long) ... examples: 38S, 42L, 44R If the short size is still too long, take it to an alterations person you trust. If you do not have one, get references from friends you know. This very skilled person can shorten it and no one can ever tell by looking at it but do note it will be somewhat pricey. I always have to have the arm lengths shortened. Pleated pants look best on the slender folks, where the flat front pants are great on slender as well as people with extra weight around their center mass.

Hope that helps.

Best Wishes!
RockOn
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

The jacket will be the hardest to fit off the rack.

This site has good, basic info. Length of jacket and "bad fit" warnings should be helpful.

www.artofmanliness.com

Look for "how should a suit fit?"
Old 09-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
Ender

How Do You Identify?:
Male (trans)
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Ender Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST Reputation

This is probably too late, but for future uses, there's also an online shop, HauteButch, though I would go to a place like Moore's to get a good fitting suit tailor made.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Steele

How Do You Identify?:
confused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
no preference
Relationship Status:
single

Steele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST ReputationSteele Has the BEST Reputation

I’ve had good luck at thrift stores. My local Talize has a pretty vast selection of cheap suits. I do need to tailor my current one though.