Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation
Default Whittlers and Wood Carvers

I just ordered my chisels and knife and can't wait to get started. With my arthritis it is going to be a challenge. Yet I live for challenges. I recently got back into wood burning, and gave my creation to Ami as a gift.
I hope to sell some of my art on the site, but it's going to be awhile before I can get some things together to do so.
Look forward to hear if there are others out there like me who find wood a fulfilling medium to work in. Ooooo emotocon plz? Yes????
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Well I got my order in today, and man I got started like lickety split.
I'm going to give a running commentary, to hopefully interest others who have entirely too much time on their hands, to get a hobby too.
I'm starting with a boot, a simple cowboy boot for my whittling project.
The basic forms come in blocks, with instructions on how to with photos along the length of the project.
The basics are glove, sharp knife, apron to catch the chaff and patience.
OOOoooo another lesson in patience for me, Yeaaaaa!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Can't wait to hear about your progress. I've never tried woodcarving, but I do find it interesting. Will you be posting pics of your creations?

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Sure will!
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Very cool! Where do you order your supplies?

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

from www.woodcarvers.com
Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lesbian Butch so that would be she, but I come to just about anything *S*
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

Yes I love wood carving and anything that you can do with wood. I carved a piece of pine into a back plate for my old truck, with 2 wolves running and TIMBERWOLF in the middle. I carved it with a dremel(I love working with it) and then painted it. In fact I just got a new one and waiting to start again. I also started 2 peace pipes for my dad.the first one I used oak from my tree and that was hard. the next one i started with a 2x2 piece of pine and that turned out better. I want to start working on it again.My Uncle (who has passed) was a wonderful carver and my oldest brother followed with carving birds.
looking forward to seeing some of your work .
TIMBER
TIMBERWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TIMBERWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Cool, Timber and thanks for stopping by. Could you share some of your experiences with different woods? Currently I'm using basswood, and I used pine laminate for the Eagle I did for Ami, that was wood burnt.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

This is what I am working on right now.
I received some new tools for my birthday, so I can do more detailed work. Hope you enjoy.

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/x...7/DSC_0035.jpg
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

nice corkey!

my grandpa taught me to whittle... i loved sitting under the tree with him... he always made me push away from my hands... and when he wasnt looking i would always revert to the way he whittled... pulling the knife toward me...
i love to carve... or just whittle...
i tend to make toothpicks... out of huge pcs of wood... sometimes i will make this little graduated tower design...

you mentioned arthritis... not my affliction but i do have a problem with my right hand... i am teaching myself how to do everything () left handed... maybe i will pick up a knife again... see what i can do...

thanks for this thread... it has allowed me to look back at something that i miss... fondly...

keep us posted... i love wood... it calls to me in lots of different ways...
rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlin View Post
nice corkey!

my grandpa taught me to whittle... i loved sitting under the tree with him... he always made me push away from my hands... and when he wasnt looking i would always revert to the way he whittled... pulling the knife toward me...
i love to carve... or just whittle...
i tend to make toothpicks... out of huge pcs of wood... sometimes i will make this little graduated tower design...

you mentioned arthritis... not my affliction but i do have a problem with my right hand... i am teaching myself how to do everything () left handed... maybe i will pick up a knife again... see what i can do...

thanks for this thread... it has allowed me to look back at something that i miss... fondly...

keep us posted... i love wood... it calls to me in lots of different ways...
I worked on it some today, I'm getting a craft table big enough for our projects and I need it to paint my carvings. It is almost to the point of painting the details then when my wax gets here it will be dry enough to seal it.
Way cool about your Grandpa. Mine did the same, but I have better control of the knife by rolling my knuckles and making a fist. I have the chisels to do the plank carvings. You are going to have a time of it finding a left handed knife, but you can try here : http://www.woodcarvers.com/
They have a large selection of tools.
I hope you can get back to it.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/x...7/DSC_0044.jpg

Got our craft table yesterday, so today I started the painting process.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Corkey,

Have you had any more progress?

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Felix

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Daddy, Sir, Dom
Preferred Pronoun?:
Either
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/Poly

Felix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST Reputation
Default Wood Working

I enjoy wood working. I make peace pipes, staffs, walking sticks, canes, paddles,alters, etc. I also work with animal bones, antlers, horns, hoofs, etc. I also enjoy finding and working with old furniture and furniture pieces and creating something new. I enjoy carving when I find a piece of wood that speaks to me.

I have arthritis so it takes longer to do the work, but it also keeps my hands strong.

I don't like purchasing wood from suppliers unless I have to. My best work has been from wood I have found on camping or hiking trips or pieces that friends have found and have given to me.
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Felix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackTime View Post
Hey Corkey,

Have you had any more progress?
Not recently, I strained my back and have not been able to do much. I'm feeling a bit better today so I'll try to sit on the bench and do some more to my project.

Welcome to the Planet Felix, I hear ya' on the arthritis. The wood we have here really isn't suitable for carving, cotton woods, and we aren't allowed to take any wood out of the parks here. Not many pines here.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

Hey Corkey, sorry i just found this. I used a piece of oak from my property but it was way too hard when i went to drill out the the pipe. Then i started again and used a 2x2 piece of pine from the lumber yard.
Got to run will bbl
TIMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
Cool, Timber and thanks for stopping by. Could you share some of your experiences with different woods? Currently I'm using basswood, and I used pine laminate for the Eagle I did for Ami, that was wood burnt.
The Following User Says Thank You to TIMBERWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #17
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Hey Corkey, Im back. Sorry but had to run yesterday. I use a dremmel for my carvings.I have asked Mrs Santa Claus about getting me the attachment that i can hold in my hand.Along with a few other things and she asked if I had been naughty or nice this yr*VEG* I guess we'll have to see LOL.Hadn't had time to do any craving because it was fishing weather and i would go to the coast every chance i got. Now that its colder I have put my rods up and taking out the dremmel.But I also don't get home from work early during the week.
TIMBER
The Following User Says Thank You to TIMBERWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #18
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBERWOLF View Post
Hey Corkey, Im back. Sorry but had to run yesterday. I use a dremmel for my carvings.I have asked Mrs Santa Claus about getting me the attachment that i can hold in my hand.Along with a few other things and she asked if I had been naughty or nice this yr*VEG* I guess we'll have to see LOL.Hadn't had time to do any craving because it was fishing weather and i would go to the coast every chance i got. Now that its colder I have put my rods up and taking out the dremmel.But I also don't get home from work early during the week.
TIMBER
I too have a Dremmel, and have lots of toys to go with said Dremmel, so will have to get more blanks to practice on LOL

Last edited by Corkey; 12-06-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #19
Felix

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Daddy, Sir, Dom
Preferred Pronoun?:
Either
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/Poly

Felix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST ReputationFelix Has the BEST Reputation

I really enjoy my dremmel. However , I need a few accessories for a piece I am working on.

I found out the hard way that oak is very hard and difficult to work with.

I need to purchase a new wood burner and carving set.

I like tongue oil for finishing the staffs. What do you all use?
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #20
IrishGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Leatherdyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/non-monogamous

Thanked 1,209 Times in 366 Posts
IrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Tongue oil?

IrishGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote