Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #1
ZoeyJayne

How Do You Identify?:
Desbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Dez, me , it , her , who knows lol
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

ZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST ReputationZoeyJayne Has the BEST Reputation
Talking I am getting married and I am clueless......HELP!!!

So after a year Alicia and I have decided that we want to get married... She proposed to me on thanksgiving day at her parents house and now my brain has been filled with lots of OMG's and how do you plan a wedding with no money... I have my friends telling me I need this and I need that and this and that... But here is the thing.. We are not doing a traditional wedding... We know that for the reception we are going to be doing a potluck... we have the hall picked out (I think)... we know our colors are going to be a limeish green and light blue.. we set the date of 9/24/16.. Alicia and I are not much of the dress wearing type, But I am also not the tux wearing type and neither is she... we are both neither butch nor fem we are just ourselves.. But I do want to wear a dress or maybe I dont know .. but i dont want a wedding dress... I want like something casual and simple... .... Let me stop ranting and being all scattered here ... I just have no clue how to plan a wedding and a few idea's could be helpful... Thanks in advanced
Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

.................................. well that's a shocker (not on facebook much, must have missed it in the feed)

congratulations hunny

-- p.s, people will tell you what they know and feel, but it's your wedding, so do what you feel is right.

what style of dress are you thinking? In September here, it's like 90 degrees so i'm not sure about the weather up there. Are you looking for like a long flowy dress, summer dress? what are you envisioning? you can text me if you want.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,248 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

First of all, you've got to tune out your friends and the entire wedding industry as far as "you need this and that and Pluto" to get married. You actually just need the legalities and that's it.

I strongly caution you on throwing a potluck, unless your wedding is very small. I advise you (I know, here I am throwing advice around ) to let your guests be guests and don't make them "work". There are ways to provide food and refreshment that doesn't break the bank, even if it's cake and punch. That used to be the norm, anyway.

There may be legalities around throwing a potluck and using the hall's kitchen, also. Take it from me speaking from experience, the aggravation and extra work on you isn't worth it. I learned it's far worth the money to hand it over to caterers, including set up and serving.

You don't need tuxes or wedding dresses. Since you have over a year, check out prom and homecoming season dresses coming out.

Above all, get organized and stay that way. And have fun .
Old 01-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

Do what feels right my dear Zoeykins and many congratulations to you both
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Congratulations on your engagement!

When my wife and i married we wanted friends and family around us, but we were determined not to spend a lot, so here are a few of our ideas:

We had our ceremony and reception in my Mom's lovely backyard by the pool. Maybe you know someone with a nice backyard you can use for free? September is a good time for an outside wedding. You can rent chairs for a small fee, or ask friends and neighbors to borrow a few.

We had a small plain cake made at our nearby grocery store, and went to a cake decorating store for a topper. We had cupcakes made up in our colors, and there you go for maybe $50 total.

If you have a 99cent store/dollar store, keep your eyes open for deals on matching paper plates, napkins, cups, plastic forks...etc. You can also find seasonal decorations there for cheap...we were married in July, so we bought summery things and tikki torches for around the pool.

If you or your friends know how, do some music mixes, and have one of them help you with the music...maybe cost you a six-pack or it could be their gift?

If you plan to have booze, do a spiked punch for the adults and a regular for the kids? Cheaper than beer and booze set-ups.

To go with our summer theme, we bought great silk flowers at the local craft store and made all of the flower bouquets and coursages. I still have ours!

Printed Invitations are pretty pricy, so make them yourselves, or buys some plain and have a crafty friend do calligraphy for you as their gift.

So many ideas, lol

Make lists of things you really can't live without at your wedding, and go from there. We found we really couldn't live without our family and friends there...everything else was icing on the cake!
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,151 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations! I agree with everyone who said you should have the kind of party that suits you. Make an event that you would want to attend. If you're still torn, ask yourself why you're doing this thing, anyway. What's the purpose of throwing this party? If it's a joyful celebration of the family you're creating, and you're so happy about that that you can't help but invite all the people who are important to you to witness it, then do whatever you think honors that intention. If you're concerned with presenting a proper image and creating a traditional event that conforms with expectations about what marriage means to your family and community, then pay more attention to all the traditional practices that signal to one and all that you're MARRIED in the way they've come to expect.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive for most women I know. For them, wearing a traditional white lace dress and throwing the bouquet to their unmarried friends with all their family watching is THE most joyful of all the joyful celebrations on earth. Personally, I'm not particularly interested in those traditions for myself, and it sounds to me like you're not necessarily inclined towards all those traditional wedding rituals, either. That doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy them and find them incredibly meaningful were you to end up adhering to them, but you don't have to.

Waaay back in the way back machine, my ex and I got handfasted, (Pagan/Wiccan commitment ceremony). A white dress wasn't even on my radar. Besides all the wedding industry hoopla that I wasn't interested in supporting, it's my opinion that red is the right colour for the occasion. It represents lust, vigor, fertility and good health. Green is a great colour, too. It's the colour of growth also of fertility, as well as material wealth. My handfasting dress was red, and I thought it was a perfect choice for the occasion. Other colours have their own associations, and it might help you choose how you decorate yourself and your party space to think about the symbolism they carry.

When I reduce a wedding down to the essentials, I see it as an important life event during which you officially create family, and invite your friends/family to witness and support you in your choice. Whenever you're stuck just keep asking yourself if the thing your second cousin insists you can't do without contributes to, or detracts from, that intention.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #7
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Congrats to you both!

As far as wedding details, Pinterest has a whole bunch of ideas for all budgets. Dont get so overwhelmed with it all that you forget to enjoy the moment(s)!!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,008 Times in 5,082 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

My one bit of advice - get a check-off list (there are lots of similar ones around), assign deadlines and stick to it. A year and a half is just about the right amount of time to plan a wedding at a reasonable pace without killing yourself. With a year and a half, it could even be - gasp! - fun!

Best Wishes,
GeorgiaMa'am
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #9
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Congratulations!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #10
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,006 Times in 8,559 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Best wishes to the happy couple!
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #11
Violette

How Do You Identify?:
woman

Violette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST ReputationViolette Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, Best Wishes!

Violette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Violette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,311 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

I'm hearing all your anxiety about what to wear.

It's hard enough to plan a wedding when a person fits into the male/female dichotomy set up for weddings. I mean, if you were butch or femme identified, you'd have plenty of templates to fit into that you could then tweak to make your own. You could be butch/femme, butch/butch, femme/femme—whatever matched.

But you're "just yourselves." You're not really into dresses, not really into tuxes—

So just follow your gut! Explore and play with the options. I think it will be fun.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:48 PM   #13
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,155 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default To Thine Own Self Be True

I’ve helped with planning many, many weddings some very traditional and fairly elaborate others more simple. I’ve also attended many non-traditional weddings - very simple to extremely elaborate ones that I didn’t have a part in planning and from experience I can tell you either way none of that in the final analysis seems to matter. All of the people I have seen the happiest on their wedding day and in the immediate months that followed, who were glowing the most, had this one thing in common – they all incorporated within their means elements into the ceremony that had deep personal meaning to them.

I’d encourage you to take a quiet time one day to grab pen and paper and sit back and think, jotting down notes as you go about not putting down so much what people say you must get for a wedding, as what kinds of things it is from the earliest age on up that have always managed to make you the happiest, smile the most, left you feeling the most joy and then try to pull some of those elements into your special day while sticking to one general theme so as to not leave everything looking cluttered.

Happy weddings happen when people who plan them think about what makes their spirits soar and then build from there. They don’t so much do a wedding that suits them as they manage rather instead to craft and design one that expresses them, you see? Take this potluck theme for example if this is something you feel you need to do, settle for because of cost or expense then I would say don’t because this will add, contribute to a sense of disquiet and feeling of unrest on what is supposed to be ideally one of the happiest days of your life. If you aren’t really heart and soul into a potluck don’t do it.

But if that’s what you feel pulled towards, it speaks to you then you definitely should. Some people really like potlucks, truly enjoy them as they remind them of good times, good food, good comfort, good conversation, they like the simplicity, and some even enjoy the element of surprise it can introduce if they are a person/part of a couple who enjoys spontaneity. If that resonates with you then do it. Yes there can be problems with it but trust me on this there can be problems galore with caterers too. Don’t I know it!

Look the main thing is only you know the amount of work both leading up to, prior to the event and on the day of your wedding you want to shoulder. If it seems a lot more work than you can manage yourself them it might mean asking for help from someone a mother a sister a friend to help you coordinate. You’re right you don’t want to impose on your friends to buy you all sorts of stuff but it’s perfectly okay if you are getting married to turn to friends and family members you can rely on, trust, to help with you with certain tasks. Also it’s not an either or proposition thing all catered or all pot luck. You can have certain elements, parts catered, and certain parts you take on yourself or ask friends to bring. You can use some of your own items and rent and borrow others.

Who will set up the tables for you who will provide the tablecloth/napkins, who will set out the plates and the cutlery and the other serve ware, who will arrange the condiments, who will direct guests where to put dishes, manage the ovens for certain things that will arrive hot and need to stay warmed or arrive cold and need to be warmed, who will refill things as they run out, who will clear plates/remove empty things who will put away deal with left overs, see dishes get returned to rightful owners and so on. You do really want to try and make sure on your special day it isn’t you who is stuck doing or overseeing most of the behind the scenes drudge work but whatever to you doesn’t seem to be drudgery or too much work to take on by all means if it’s practical for you to do and makes you happy do it then do it.

Another thing to consider, even though you don’t want or need it to be anything elaborate or formal it’s a momentous occasion and as such it should be special. So then the challenge becomes what to do to elevate what could be an ordinary potluck into one more meangingful/special without at the same time becoming what you would find overwhelming, tedious and/or burdensome. Not everything need be new or rented or spendy. When it comes to weddings sentimental is good and things that bring to mind good memories are best.

You can have a potluck any day for game day, after church, as part of a barbeque but you’re not going to have for those types of events your mother’s punch bowl, your grandmother’s platter, those candlesticks loaned to you by your closest friend – whatever. I’m not saying you need those specific things to elevate it, I’m just using those things as examples but you get the point – that’s the goal, the key I think to keep in mind how to take what could be an ordinary thing and transform it into something a little bit special. Ask yourself what would make this more than just any ordinary potluck without taxing me too terribly?

If you say well that’s all good and fine but I have no one to loan me or I wouldn’t feel comfortable asking then you might want to consider what are three to five main things that need to be special go right at this potluck table for you to feel you have reached your goal, met your objective in terms of making things memorable. Then come up with a plan. Say you think everything else could be plain but if you could have some nice candle holders, flowers and your cake served on special plates or interesting ones -that would suffice satisfy you, then you can determine how much you can afford to spend on those items then save and shop accordingly. If the work must mostly be borne done by you if it’s a potluck you want that doesn’t mean don’t do it but rather instead you will probably have to think about how to spread that work out, how to gradually do it in stages so it doesn’t all fall to be done last minute by you on the actual day of your ceremony.

Depending on what funds you have to work with for the things you need you might shop consignment store, second hand, discount sellers, craigslist, ebay, houseware outlet stores, party supply stores, department store closeouts or even shopping at some very to more spendy places depending on how are able to combine various incentives, awards, sales, promotions. Another idea is if people ask you what you want for any birthdays, holidays other gift giving occasions that might be coming up you might ask either for specific items you would use for your wedding or for gift cards to places where you might buy things for your wedding either in person or online if you typically receive gift cards from loved ones for those occasions.

The main thing to keep in mind is it’s your day and you don’t have to do what would be practical or special or meaningful to anybody else it just has to work for you. Maybe someone else would prefer to not work so much but another person would rather do a little more work herself in order to save more of what money , funds are available to spend on other things, things more important to her like flowers, music, decorations, good wine or whatever - various things are important to different people. Just because something is critical to others doesn’t mean it has to be for you. For example as much as some people care a great deal about a cake I’ve been to weddings without them that were completely lovely and every bit as romantic and special to the couple as any wedding done with one.

Again not saying don’t have one, it’s just it can be however you make it. I would much rather have a wedding that was not as fancy, and allowed me to have everyone I truly cared about there and feeling relaxed and comfortable, happy and enjoying themselves than I would care to have to go smaller to make things fancier and perhaps not be able to invite people I really wanted to or risk winding up planning something more formal than what many people I now know would care for would feel uncomfortable attending. Just because I definitely know how to do a very done up wedding do, doesn’t mean I would do it that way because the other really important part of a good wedding is considering the true needs of your guests.

I think the main thing is to not allow yourself to feel peer pressured into doing things you don’t feel speak to, resonate with you or spending more than what you can actually afford, or maybe can afford but just feel would be a waste of money given how many other more important useful lasting things could be done instead with that same amount of cash. Whatever it is you ultimately wind up deciding to do I know as long as in doing what you do you are honest, authentic and true to yourself then not only will you have a pleasurable and enjoyable day, when all is said and done, later years down the line when you think back on it you'll be able to look back to that day with feelings of fondness and warm remembrance.

Anyhow hope this helps, keep us posted and if you find yourself short on ideas or just want to vent feel free to mention it here or PM me any time you like and I will try and assist help you all I can, good luck.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post: