Old 03-08-2020, 08:15 AM   #3921
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool Coronavirus

John Hopkins has an excellent interactive map that shows in real time the progression of covid-19; globally, it notes how many deaths, how many have recovered - in all countries.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Being old, I am slightly concerned; and even if I catch this kind of flu and recover, I am sure it would take its toll on my body, so I put this out as general info, and it's for you to decide whether or not to take precautions:
  • WHO estimates that deaths from the coronavirus are 3.4%.
  • Compared with the flu that goes around yearly, the CDC says that the fatality rate for the seasonal flu is 0.14%.

So, you can see that this strain of the flu is a tad more dangerous. Of course, if you do catch something, it might just be the common cold.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #3922
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Trump says doctors keep asking how he knows so much about the coronavirus..

President Trump mused about a career path not taken Friday.
Speaking to reporters at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Georgia, about the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, which is spreading across the United States and throughout the world, Trump mentioned how much he enjoys talking about "this stuff." He attributes his previously unknown interest in epidemiological research to his uncle, Dr. John Trump, who used to teach at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The president, who considers himself a genius, raised the scale even higher for his uncle, who he described as a "super genius."
Trump said doctors he's come across as the administration tries to get a handle on the outbreak have been surprised about how much he knows about COVID-19. "Maybe I have a natural ability," he said. "Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president."

I saw him say this Friday! Searched and searched for the clip but sorry to say couldn't find it.

I would BET my life no doctor or doctors have ever asked him that! I mean come on, from a man first saying it was a hoax,then saying it would disappear in April, and now telling people it just cures itself.......give me a break!!!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #3923
GeorgiaMa'am
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,146 Times in 5,126 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
John Hopkins has an excellent interactive map that shows in real time the progression of covid-19; globally, it notes how many deaths, how many have recovered - in all countries.

Being old, I am slightly concerned; and even if I catch this kind of flu and recover, I am sure it would take its toll on my body, so I put this out as general info, and it's for you to decide whether or not to take precautions:
  • Compared with the flu that goes around yearly, the CDC says that the fatality rate for the seasonal flu is 0.14%.

So, you can see that this strain of the flu is a tad more dangerous. Of course, if you do catch something, it might just be the common cold.
Thanks for the map, that is very interesting.

I'm sure you were being facetious when you said COVID-19 is "a tad more dangerous" than the common flu. But just for the sake of fun with math, let's do the numbers, shall we?

0.14% = for every thousand people who catch the flu, 1.4 will die
3.4% = for every thousand people who catch COVID-19, 34 will die

I think that's right, please someone correct my math if it's wrong.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #3924
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Cool "a tad more dangerous"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am View Post
Thanks for the map, that is very interesting.

I'm sure you were being facetious when you said COVID-19 is "a tad more dangerous" than the common flu. But just for the sake of fun with math, let's do the numbers, shall we?

0.14% = for every thousand people who catch the flu, 1.4 will die
3.4% = for every thousand people who catch COVID-19, 34 will die

I think that's right, please someone correct my math if it's wrong.
Considering that the Trump has called it a "hoax", and I have seen elsewhere similar words (scoffing cough!)... no, actually, I was not being facetious, I thought for those who don't believe this "outbreak" is serious might get offended if I said what I actually thought. I never write down the depth of what I think, see, and feel on this site - apart from my thread on "Meditation" where I only put down a few basics, and never really elaborated [but then again, no one asked me to elaborate... oh well, smh].

My hypobole (or, if you prefer, intentional understatement) was only intended to get attention, and if anything to suggest a more careful attitude re: the Coronavirus. I leave facetiousness to those who would make light of serious matters, in general. I don't suffer from that much pain/damage, as to have that kind of humor.

I will say one thing, the word 'danger' actually means fear...
The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #3925
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,871 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I found this on fb.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003340269924

Dont give into fear and panic...this comes straight from a doctor.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #3926
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

"Hundreds of thousands of women across Latin America’s biggest cities flocked to the streets for International Women’s Day on Sunday, spurred by a growing outcry over inequality, femicide and strict abortion controls."
From The Globe and Mail

So what did one female Reuters reporter choose to write?

“The situation has gotten out of control … we have to march for those who no longer can,” said Daniela Molinero, 29, a jewellery shop owner who wore a purple bandana and eye liner."

Not sure why that descriptive bothers me so much, but it does. This must be a "real" women's march if the protesters are wearing eyeliner.

Last edited by C0LLETTE; 03-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #3927
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Still very early but it's looking like Sanders is preparing to lose tonight. Doedsn't even look good in Michigan...but hey, polls are just closing in 3 states... 2 seconds in now and Biden won Miss.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #3928
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Smile Weinstein Sentenced!!!

Quote:
Weinstein has been found guilty on 2 of 5 counts: one count of 3rd degree rape, and one count of criminal sexual assault. He was placed into custody - and was led out of court in handcuffs (the judge granted his defense team's request for him to be placed in a medical facility while waiting sentencing - on March 11th). Of course, his defense team will be appealing.

He is also facing similar new charges in L.A. in the weeks to come.

Big cheers to the D.A. and the two brave women who accused him.
He has been sentenced to 23 years !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #3929
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Cool WHO & the Coronavirus

Quote:

WHO has just declared that the coronavirus is a pandemic.

I trust everyone is washing their hands after every outing or using hand sanitizer after shopping, etc., stocking up on hand sanitizer, etc. and making proper precautions: no unnecessary flying, obviously no cruises, not going to any activity with large groups (more than 15 people), sports activities, concerts, etc.

In every grocery store where I live, there are always have been - for some years - wipes and hand sanitizer on the counter, which I have availed myself of even before this outbreak. Banking this week, I noticed for the first time, hand sanitizer right on the counter by the teller for the use of clients. Presently, all these are now sold out in my region. There were empty shelves at Walmart where normally you would find all these things, even emergency kits were gone. In general, the kind of people who live in my area are germophobes to begin with.

I saw someone talking on CNN who has been diagnosed with this disease, and it had developed into viral pneumonia (which is probably what is causing these very quick deaths), and I think that anyone with any lung problems could be in extreme danger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #3930
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,533 Times in 10,206 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

The Houston Rodeo shuts down today at 4pm.

Apparently someone who was exposed went to a BBQ cook off. This person did not travel outside the state.

Wash your hands!

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #3931
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bèsame* View Post
The Houston Rodeo shuts down today at 4pm.

Apparently someone who was exposed went to a BBQ cook off. This person did not travel outside the state.

Wash your hands!

I work with idiots who dont. Omg it makes me so mad. They just use hand sanitizer.

Im not gonna panic just yet, however my folks are gonna stay in the house as much as possible except to go to drs... I will be the one who goes to the store and runs errands...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #3932
randomnotes

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

randomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputation

We have tickets for the Houston rodeo for Friday. I’m not sure if I’m disappointed or relieved!
randomnotes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randomnotes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #3933
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnotes View Post
We have tickets for the Houston rodeo for Friday. I’m not sure if I’m disappointed or relieved!
The whole rodeo got canceled.

However people are getting ticket refunds for the concerts etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #3934
randomnotes

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

randomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputationrandomnotes Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
The whole rodeo got canceled.

However people are getting ticket refunds for the concerts etc.
Oh I know! I just meant I’m not sure if I’m saddened we won’t go or if I’m relieved we can’t go. I enjoy the rodeo but I don’t like being around that many people! Also disappointed to not get a turkey leg (hope to make a stop at the turkey leg hut instead).

Curious how difficult the refund process will be. Closing the rest of the rodeo is going to cost Houston a ton of money.

We couldn’t get tickets to Lizzo for Friday so I’m not worried about that. Just the tickets to get in and the tickets we preordered for rides for my nephews.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randomnotes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #3935
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Oh I know! I just meant I’m not sure if I’m saddened we won’t go or if I’m relieved we can’t go. I enjoy the rodeo but I don’t like being around that many people! Also disappointed to not get a turkey leg (hope to make a stop at the turkey leg hut instead).

Curious how difficult the refund process will be. Closing the rest of the rodeo is going to cost Houston a ton of money.

We couldn’t get tickets to Lizzo for Friday so I’m not worried about that. Just the tickets to get in and the tickets we preordered for rides for my nephews.

Hmmm not sure on that.

A turkey leg sounds good though Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #3936
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Cool President Trump's address

He has just made an address on the coronavirus from the Oval Office...
WOW, suspension of all traffic from Europe to U.S. for 30 days, starting Friday (except for the UK, + exceptions)... etc.
WOW! Finally, at least something,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #3937
randomnotes

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Hmmm not sure on that.

A turkey leg sounds good though Lol
Have you ever been to The Turkey Leg Hut in Houston? It’s fairly well known and has all manners of turkey legs with toppings. My in laws live in Houston so we go frequently. And I’ve been harassing my wife to take me to the Hut for at least six months. Lol. She’s not going to get out of it this time if we still drive to Houston with this outbreak!
Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #3938
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Have you ever been to The Turkey Leg Hut in Houston? It’s fairly well known and has all manners of turkey legs with toppings. My in laws live in Houston so we go frequently. And I’ve been harassing my wife to take me to the Hut for at least six months. Lol. She’s not going to get out of it this time if we still drive to Houston with this outbreak!
Not yet but I hear about it all the time Lol

I just havent ventured outside my lil bubble in houston these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2020, 07:29 PM   #3939
randomnotes

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
He has just made an address on the coronavirus from the Oval Office...
WOW, suspension of all traffic from Europe to U.S. for 30 days, starting Friday (except for the UK, + exceptions)... etc.
WOW! Finally, at least something,
We are set to do London and Paris in August now I’m a little worried we are going to get over there and not be able to get back. Hope this all boils over by then...but doubt it.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #3940
randomnotes

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Tom Hanks and Rita have tested positive in Australia.
The Following User Says Thank You to randomnotes For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news