Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #221
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,363 Posts
deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation
Default GRRRRRR

Someone I know or a friend of someone I know sent someone from their church to pray over me. This was completely without my consent. They gave them my address!!!!! Now I will have to fight to get rid of missionaries. Has to be someone from work. GRRRRRR They won't tell you who sent them either. So not right. I was polite to her, but damn unhappy with the person who violated my privacy.
deb_U_taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #222
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
Someone I know or a friend of someone I know sent someone from their church to pray over me. This was completely without my consent. They gave them my address!!!!! Now I will have to fight to get rid of missionaries. Has to be someone from work. GRRRRRR They won't tell you who sent them either. So not right. I was polite to her, but damn unhappy with the person who violated my privacy.
Wow. That is quite terrible. I have never heard of this happening before.

I mean, who would be willing to do this most likely knowing the person they are coming to visit did not give their consent? How did you handle it?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #223
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation

I was nice enough to her, it wasn't her fault some unthinking person sent her over. I did make it clear I didn't want anyone else coming over. She offered help and I reminded her I wasn't a member of her church and unless something changed, they don't allow queers in their congregation. She make a quick retreat after that. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Wow. That is quite terrible. I have never heard of this happening before.

I mean, who would be willing to do this most likely knowing the person they are coming to visit did not give their consent? How did you handle it?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #224
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Just got off the phone with my mother...they've added another drug to her chemo cocktail that is making her very sick...as in throwing up after every session. She continues to feel weak, dizzy and awful....the infusions help to keep her from being dehydrated, so they've upped her to 2 or 3 infusions a week.

We're coordinating now to get her infusions while she's here visiting. She also finally admitted that she'll need a wheelchair while she's here. I pushed a little by telling her that Rooster really wanted to push her...that helped, because she would do anything for him. (Thanks Dapper )

Done more prying...as I do...and what she has is being called "metastatic colon cancer" even though it's in her small intestine (and she has no colon anymore). My research is showing average lifespan from diagnosis is 29 months, survival rate at 5 years is about 19%....naturally, with those tending to be the younger, stronger patients. It's something I'm working at getting my head wrapped around.

Her visit is moved up to the end of September, so she'll be here in a few weeks. I'm burning up my Hilton Hotel points for a couple free nights...one in Miami, one in Key Largo....not how I dreamed of using them, but hopefully a few more good memories for my son to put in his heart to keep after Granny is gone.

I can't shake the feeling that that's going to be soon.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #225
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo
Just got off the phone with my mother...they've added another drug to her chemo cocktail that is making her very sick...as in throwing up after every session. She continues to feel weak, dizzy and awful....the infusions help to keep her from being dehydrated, so they've upped her to 2 or 3 infusions a week.

We're coordinating now to get her infusions while she's here visiting. She also finally admitted that she'll need a wheelchair while she's here. I pushed a little by telling her that Rooster really wanted to push her...that helped, because she would do anything for him. (Thanks Dapper )

Done more prying...as I do...and what she has is being called "metastatic colon cancer" even though it's in her small intestine (and she has no colon anymore). My research is showing average lifespan from diagnosis is 29 months, survival rate at 5 years is about 19%....naturally, with those tending to be the younger, stronger patients. It's something I'm working at getting my head wrapped around.

Her visit is moved up to the end of September, so she'll be here in a few weeks. I'm burning up my Hilton Hotel points for a couple free nights...one in Miami, one in Key Largo....not how I dreamed of using them, but hopefully a few more good memories for my son to put in his heart to keep after Granny is gone.

(((((((((((((Jo))))))))))))

I lost a cousin to colon cancer and its an ugly disease (well, cancer is period) but we all know that. I will keep you, Rooster and your mom in My thoughts and prayers while she continues to fight

Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #226
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hope you have a wonderful visit and are able to create some wonderful memories and don't forget to take a lot of pictures.

HUGS and love to you and your's,

Debby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #227
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

A bit over a week ago I went to see this guy in Chicago, Keith Block, M.D. He runs the Block Center for Integrative Cancer. His theory is how it is more than just chemo that helps fight this fight. It is the whole mind, body, spirit thing. Nutrition is huge. He wrote the book, "Life Over Cancer". http://www.blockmd.com/

I take the supplements they reccommend and eat the foods they reccommend. They achieve amazing results. One thing they do really well is help people be healthy enough to get through their chemo treatments. If your mother is able to focus on reading, she should check it out.

Anyway, natural stuff and supplements are part of his thinking and I know your mother is into that. I looked it up and for nausea he suggests "eating a small amount of grated or finely chopped fresh ginger (if your blood platelets are less than 60,000 cells per microliter, check with a medical professional first), or a teaspoon of gomasio (a seasoning made from crushed sesame seeds and salt), or try sucking on the pit of a umeboshi plum. Gomasio and umeboshi plums are available in the macrobiotic section of health food stores. Herbal teas (such as ginger, alfalfa, chamomile, fennel, and slippery elm), oranges, or tangerines may also help".

I know that you can also get ginger candies to suck on, as well. They had them at my chemo center. She could get some of those (sorry, don't remember the name of them, but I know you could order them off the internet) and suck on them during the infusions.

For me, it was all about the simple, red and white striped peppermint. That is what helped my nausea. Peppermint tea helped me too.

Hang tough.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #228
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
J.... hopefully a few more good memories for my son to put in his heart to keep after Granny is gone.

and more good memories for you too.

Wishing you the best on this journey Jo, while she is here and after.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #229
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

I have chemo today and when I am done I will only have ONE treatment left.
Here's to the nurse finding a vein the first try today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #230
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have chemo today and when I am done I will only have ONE treatment left.
Here's to the nurse finding a vein the first try today.
Congratulations on being almost done....and hope it goes smoothly for you today.

Hey everyone, I have a question...

My mother is getting chemo every two weeks, a treatment at the oncology center and then a pack that she wears for 48 hours that continues it.

They don't have to find a vein each time (like Debby....ouch!)....because she has a port in her chest that evidently goes to an artery or a major vein or something. I'm just wondering if anyone knows....is that normal? Does it mean anything? It just got me wondering...
Old 09-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #231
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Congratulations on being almost done....and hope it goes smoothly for you today.

My mother is getting chemo every two weeks, a treatment at the oncology center and then a pack that she wears for 48 hours that continues it.

They don't have to find a vein each time (like Debby....ouch!)....because she has a port in her chest that evidently goes to an artery or a major vein or something. I'm just wondering if anyone knows....is that normal? Does it mean anything? It just got me wondering...
Yes Jo, it is very common in chemotherapy patients. The port-a-cath is normal. Especially since your Mom has lost so much weight and not eating well. It's easier for routine treatment, and if there should be an emergency, they have direct access should the veins collapse.

Per Wikipedia
In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick".
Ports are used mostly to treat hematology and oncology patients, but recently ports have been adapted also for hemodialysis patients.
The port is usually inserted in the upper chest, just below the clavicle or collar bone, leaving the patient's hands free.

Last edited by Tommi; 09-02-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #232
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:

Should I feel insulted? Did you miss the "I had the exact same cancer/treatment as your mother" information somewhere?

Yes, that is normal.

The infusion is for around 4 hours and then you wear the pack for 48. When the pack becomes empty (there is a battery that starts beeping), you go back to the infusion place and they disconnect you (some insurances pay for a nurse to come to your house). As a side note, you don't have to run over to the facility the moment the beeper goes off. Just remove the battery and get over there when you can.

For me (and evidently a number of people), the exhaustion would set in immediately AFTER the pump stopped. Subsequently, since I worked full-time, I would have my infusion Wednesday morning, then have the pack from Wed-Fri. I would get it off on Friday (I would run over to the infusion place...across the street from my job... at lunch time), and then sleep all weekend. It worked out great. You should ask your mom her "tired time", so your vacation "events" can be scheduled around it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #233
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Thank you all...and sorry Dapper...my brain has gone dead
After hearing from Entycing and Tommi I had one of those duh moments and smacked myself in the forehead...

She's being readmitted to the hospital...her friends have been calling me...I've been trying to reach my sister then realized she's at Burning Man (and therefore out of cell phone range) until the 5th or 6th...basically losing my mind.

I'm waiting to hear what her status is this evening...and trying to figure out if I need to get on a plane right now or what.

More than anything I wish I simply didn't have to deal with this...which then jumps up and smacks me as an incredibly selfish thing since she is dealing with much worse. Her friends are putting 2 and 2 together and realizing that she's told each of us one tiny bit of information here and there, claiming she doesn't know more, and keeping us in the dark about some things that she's told others. Right now, we're comparing notes...and the full story isn't looking good.

The oncologist's office weighed her in at 96 lbs this afternoon and doesn't know why she is having pain in her abdomen 2 months after her surgery. They did an x-ray that showed nothing...more tests to come.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #234
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
The oncologist's office weighed her in at 96 lbs this afternoon and doesn't know why she is having pain in her abdomen 2 months after her surgery. They did an x-ray that showed nothing...more tests to come.
Ok, so now I feel like an asshole for yelling at you. Sorry.

Let me tell you the first thing that came into my head when I read your post.

2 weeks after my surgery I was readmitted to the hospital because I had a blockage (read: could not poop) due to adhesions. This excruciating pain just came from out of no where and I had just gone to the bathroom only a couple of hours earlier, so it really made no sense.

It is more common for the adhesions to develop a year after surgery; thus, the reason the fuckers in the ER didn't seem too concerned about the amount of pain I was in until they did a CAT scan.

Find out if your mother has gone to the bathroom.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #235
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Ok, so now I feel like an asshole for yelling at you. Sorry.

Let me tell you the first thing that came into my head when I read your post.

2 weeks after my surgery I was readmitted to the hospital because I had a blockage (read: could not poop) due to adhesions. This excruciating pain just came from out of no where and I had just gone to the bathroom only a couple of hours earlier, so it really made no sense.

It is more common for the adhesions to develop a year after surgery; thus, the reason the fuckers in the ER didn't seem too concerned about the amount of pain I was in until they did a CAT scan.

Find out if your mother has gone to the bathroom.
I think we were typing at the same moments and you, my friend, are anything but an asshole.

She has a colostomy and says things are working normally....but she's also barely eating and dehydrated....so I'm not sure.

I'm dialing the hospital (again) as I type to see if she's settled in there yet....ugh.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #236
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
I think we were typing at the same moments and you, my friend, are anything but an asshole.

She has a colostomy and says things are working normally....but she's also barely eating and dehydrated....so I'm not sure.

I'm dialing the hospital (again) as I type to see if she's settled in there yet....ugh.
Maybe in the end this hospitalization will be a good thing. Maybe it will get her strength back up resulting in her chemo treatments taking less of a toll on her. Something like 1/3 of all chemo patients have to quit due to weight loss and other side effects.

Please let us know how things are going.

Last edited by DapperButch; 09-02-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add on
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #237
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
Maybe in the end this hospitalization will be a good thing. Maybe it will get her strength back up resulting in her chemo treatments taking less of a toll on her. Something like 1/3 of all chemo patients have to quit due to weight loss and other side effects.

Please let us know how things are going.
Nothing definitive....but I'm feeling somewhat relieved.

She's in the hospital, definitely there for at least a few days...getting IV fluids and back on the TPN so she's getting some nutrition. She sounds better..thanks to several IVs of fluid and some painkillers...but she also sounds far more relaxed to be back in the hospital.

They'll be doing some tests to determine what's causing the pain, but in the meantime they're most concerned about the dehydration and malnutrition. It looks like the TPN may become a longer term thing that will go home with her, and the oncologist said that he'll be ordering at-home care once she is released as well.

I haven't managed to talk to him yet and all the info is coming second hand through my mother and her friends....but it's an improvement to know that she's in good hands.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #238
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

It is normal. The reason I didn't get a port because of I won't be doing hormone treatments after chemo and they did't need as many blood draws. I can tell you I wish I got a port early on. (The nurse didn't get it first try today, but only ONE left!!!!!!!!!!)

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #239
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Glad to hear she is being admitted, so they can keep a watch on her. They can rehydrate her fairly quick.

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #240
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

1 Highscore

Quote:
It is normal. The reason I didn't get a port because of I won't be doing hormone treatments after chemo and they did't need as many blood draws. I can tell you I wish I got a port early on. (The nurse didn't get it first try today, but only ONE left!!!!!!!!!!)
Ouch....I can only imagine how rough that is....the port does seem easier and makes a lot of sense. I'm so glad you have only one left!

Quote:
Glad to hear she is being admitted, so they can keep a watch on her. They can rehydrate her fairly quick.
Me too....her BP is back up to 113 over something....it was down to 90...and she sounds better. Her weight of 96 was fully dressed....can't even imagine that for a woman who has been slim her whole life at 145ish.

They've already gotten 2 quarts or liters (whichever it is they use) of fluid into her, and the TPN to be started shortly. I'm sure that will help a lot.