Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #21
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I suppose it depends on the vet clinic... I've had dogs who couldn't wait to go get fussed over, who pranced off into the kennel room without a backward glance while I was waving forlornly like a mom seeing a kindergartener off on the bus the first day of school.

I've also had dogs and cats who were traumatized and hated a place so much that I looked for another vet. I absolutely did not appreciate discovering that two of my cats had been put back in their plastic carriers after being spayed a couple years ago; couldn't they at least have been allowed to recover in a cage that got some light and air?

The best experience so far, though, was at a boarding kennel on the far west side of Phoenix, where Lady stayed several days when I went to Vegas. It was run much like Sachita's place is, and Lady had a ball.

Now that we have six furbabies, though, I think we'd have to get someone to come in and take care of them here. Has anyone tried a commercial pet-sitting service? What did you think of them?
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Hey Bit,

You are, of course, absolutely right - it depends on the vet clinic and on the dog. When I was still working at the clinic there were lots of dogs that didn't seem to mind - I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement about vet clinics in general - I know better. My dog can be nervous, and what helps that is a bit of one-on-one attention. She didn't get that at the clinic I boarded her with, and I expect the annoyance from the workers fueled her nervousness until it was completely out of control. That's why the new facility I found is so perfect for her - lots of individual attention. In the future I need to always find a kennel that provides that.

I'm in no way taking responsibility away from the kennel workers at the clinic. They are being paid to take care of the animals regardless of their quirks. And actually, I think my biggest beef with them was that I was never called - the entire 5 days - that she was supposedly being horrible.

Okay, anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. Love my new boarding facility - so does Norah (or at least does really really really well there) and that's all that really matters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I suppose it depends on the vet clinic... I've had dogs who couldn't wait to go get fussed over, who pranced off into the kennel room without a backward glance while I was waving forlornly like a mom seeing a kindergartener off on the bus the first day of school.

I've also had dogs and cats who were traumatized and hated a place so much that I looked for another vet. I absolutely did not appreciate discovering that two of my cats had been put back in their plastic carriers after being spayed a couple years ago; couldn't they at least have been allowed to recover in a cage that got some light and air?

The best experience so far, though, was at a boarding kennel on the far west side of Phoenix, where Lady stayed several days when I went to Vegas. It was run much like Sachita's place is, and Lady had a ball.

Now that we have six furbabies, though, I think we'd have to get someone to come in and take care of them here. Has anyone tried a commercial pet-sitting service? What did you think of them?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper...........

there is something to be said for being among the first clients for a building business...........my facility has been in business for 5 years and our clients that stuck with us when we had less than 10-15 dogs get perks...........supporting local business is important.....I hope it's a woman owned business......laughin........

the place you found sounds perfect..............take your baby on Wed so he can play with the other jack.......they need each other...........also you might ask for a chance to meet the parents of the other jack..........that way you could keep in contact and make sure the playmates are always there at the same time........

by the way..........you actually do want your baby to fall asleep standing up.............it's a sign of a good day care and a good experience...........many owners always say their babies fall dead asleep on the way home......
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #24
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
Dapper...........

there is something to be said for being among the first clients for a building business...........my facility has been in business for 5 years and our clients that stuck with us when we had less than 10-15 dogs get perks...........supporting local business is important.....I hope it's a woman owned business......laughin........

the place you found sounds perfect..............take your baby on Wed so he can play with the other jack.......they need each other...........also you might ask for a chance to meet the parents of the other jack..........that way you could keep in contact and make sure the playmates are always there at the same time........

by the way..........you actually do want your baby to fall asleep standing up.............it's a sign of a good day care and a good experience...........many owners always say their babies fall dead asleep on the way home......
Hey, Toughy, thanks for writing.

Yes, I thought about how it is good that he would be one of the first clients. My issue is just that most days there are only 2-3 other small dogs there (any day of the week, per owner) and I guess it is the waiting of the building up of the number of dogs that concerns me (and paying in the meantime!)

On his interview day he stayed for a half day and the two other dogs that were there were boarders, so they were put in crates for naps. Therefore, my guy was just standing in there with no friends for 1.5 hours (webcam!). :-( It also appears to be acceptable that someone isn't always in with the small dogs. I assume that this is a function of it being a large warehouse where it is all fencing (so the dogs can be seen by the workers when they are not in with the dogs).

The day that he was falling asleep standing up on the way home (which yes, I saw as a great thing!), there were 7 small dogs, but the owner acknowledged that this was a function of there being a larger than usual number of boarders due to the Holidays.

So, I guess it is just about choosing or not choosing to wait it out until more dogs begin to come there. I think I will stick with this first one. It is just SO close to my house.

In terms of ownership....both places are owned by women (I always use women owned businesses when I can!)

Oh, and one last thing....although I had planned to bring him on Wednesdays, I did make sure that the other Jack Russell came on the same day...or I would have changed days. I also plan on going to the Grand Opening (they have already been open for two months, though), so that I can meet other dog owners to find out who comes when, etc.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
SF_Boi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Human
Relationship Status:
Ask Me

SF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST ReputationSF_Boi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Doggie Day Care

This is a great topic. Doggie day care has saved my life and my girls. I too have a Jack Russell. She's the love of my life! But she is a JR. I picked her up when she was 8 weeks old and she was in puppy social at 9 weeks! She's my second JR, I know how they can be. I wanted to work with her as much as I could, I did not want a typical JR. At 3 years old, I received so many compliments about how great she is...it took alot of work, but it was worth it. If it was not for doggie day care it would be a totally different story.

My "diamond in the rough" Bassett Hound mix is a sweet little girl. I had no issues with her until about a month ago. She has a little leash aggression, but we're working on it. It's only towards other dogs. If I let her run with the leash shs's okay. Doggie day care has really assisted in bringing her out of her shell. She had a difficult first year, she's really coming around

Thanks for the topic!

SF_Boi
SF_Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SF_Boi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #26
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I have a jr/ mini poodle mix....Rowdy is or thinks she is hot shit.I got her at 7 weeks old,I already had a black pug female that took to the new pup like it was her own pup..heck Diva made a bag and nursed the pup a while longer.When Rowdy wast the alpha pup in the bunch as the ppl I get her from said I may have a prob,but I only have a flair up of bossyness once and a while..tho she defers to Diva most of the time or just wanders off to cool her heels.The share food,toys and beds,heck they even let me sleep in the big bed(mine)
Going to the vet never bothers Diva any but Rowdy hates it,even going for a cliping she gets nervous,I havent needed to leave either anywhere over night
cause my son can take care of them when I need him to.
Truth is I dont like to leave my fur kids with anyone unless I have to cause I have had some bad experences with kennels and groomers in the past..the one I go to now is good with them.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #27
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I have a shortie JR and its a little aggressive with other dogs but when in the doggie daycare he really loved it and played well with others so hats off to all those who put their babies in doggie daycare its great wish I had the money to do it everyday for there sake and play time as well...maybe when I get a job I can put them in there~~