Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Stronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST Reputation
Post Musicians,Composers,etc...

I thought I would start a thread to inspire me to practice and create.Recently,I have decided to go MAC and buy LOGIC to help my musical mind create! I also play guitar,bass clarinet and sing(although testosterone has changed my singing voice)...What's going on in your musical mind?
Stronghealer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stronghealer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Stronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST Reputation
Talking no musical peeps?

BUMP!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stronghealer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Big fan of Johnny Mercer and Harry Warren here.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/His/Sir :)
Relationship Status:
My heart does not give of itself easily

TCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghealer View Post
I thought I would start a thread to inspire me to practice and create.Recently,I have decided to go MAC and buy LOGIC to help my musical mind create! I also play guitar,bass clarinet and sing(although testosterone has changed my singing voice)...What's going on in your musical mind?
Nice thread SH. I'm a vocalist myself. I'm curious, has T changed your voice in a positive or negative way?
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Nice thread SH. I'm a vocalist myself. I'm curious, has T changed your voice in a positive or negative way?

TCB!!Nice to see another vocalist!Testosterone has changed my singing voice...my goal is to take some voice lessons.In some ways I miss my old voice,although it was quite feminine...My mom used to say "How does that sweet voice come out of you?"

How about you?What kind of music to you like to sing?Do you write your own material?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

TCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST ReputationTCB Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
TCB!!Nice to see another vocalist!Testosterone has changed my singing voice...my goal is to take some voice lessons.In some ways I miss my old voice,although it was quite feminine...My mom used to say "How does that sweet voice come out of you?"

How about you?What kind of music to you like to sing?Do you write your own material?

Testosterone has surely changed my voice. Primarily in positive ways. It's taken much adjustment but I've been managing and working with it. I will say I'm happier with it.
I was fortunate to not have a high talking voice, but I sang a very nice falsetto before T. My falsetto is still great, but in a different way lol.
The music I sing is all over the map. My biggest influence is Elvis Presley.
I sing a lot of ballads, adult contemporary, Pop, Pop/rock.
I actually just finished writing and recording my first original track with a producer. Still waiting on the final touches with it before I move on to the next couple tracks that I'm ready to lay down. I'm truly excited.
My next goal is to start taking one on one lessons for Piano.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Default Logic for Composing

anyone have any experience with this program?
ever used garage band?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
anyone have any experience with this program?
ever used garage band?

I use GarageBand. Surely there's a lot I don't know, but I've been getting around pretty well on my own with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Do you have an interface hooked up,TCB?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation

Good thread start. I could really use some support and encouragement! I had mentioned this as part of my [many] topics on a music thread.

I have had a music block for about three/four years now. I used to love playing my guitar and writing music and lyrics - and creating medodies. This all was a very special way of me expressing myself... even if just for myself.

I try to explain to folks, it's like painting. If you created that way, and then it all just shut DOWN - you would feel that loss!

I always have drumming, but this is a very different part of me - even though that is creative too, yes. But, that is more like a familiar therapeutic jog down memory lane for me. And I'm not doing that as much as I would like to either.

I feel lost emotionally and losing this creative side to me has been like a partial death to my spirit. I can readily see and feel this.

Actually, a sweet woman artist once told me online to sage... and that did help. I think I am due for that today! I just don't understand how to get past this block. Or WHY I haven't been able to! It's a very strange place for me to be. When my mother stopped playing the piano years back, I always said to her, "HOW could you stop playing"?! I loved it so much. I was so baffled with her. And now I'm going through it myself. She is not missing it though, the same as I - as she found replacements. I don't want to replace this part of me. Sure, I can keep adding new parts to my way of "being", but I don't want this to stay away from me. It hurts too much. And it's a way that I've always felt very centered and grounded.

I could still sit at the drums and bang it out, but again... it is not the same thing, creativity-wise. Chord progressions and melody lines, and the rhythms one can create on the guitar. (I enjoy acoustic.) And lyrics are about growth for me, sharing and working through personal things and celebrating. I just canNOT pick up a guitar. I walk past them every day here in my cabin, a hundred times.

It did start back a few years when I was going through a very emotionally distraught time relationship-wise, which means absolutely nothing to me now. But, also then when I lost my older kid cats, M.L. at 23 and Mertie at 24. It's like that part of me died along with the grief of loss at that time.

Any suggestions, I am open... Plus, I haven't sang as much, so I know I am "rusty". I don't like to sound "off" - at all. (Perfectionist Virgo crap.) That has something to do with it all too. But, I know I must play to get back to a certain level to be able to enjoy it again. I do sing along with music, and still very much enjoy listening to songs, but my own stuff... whole 'nother story.

Thanks,
Wildcat
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Do you have an interface hooked up,TCB?
Nah, not yet SH. I'm just making my way around with the basics. I only use GB to test out song ideas and sample tracks right now.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Post pro tools

I'm looking to get an interface...and I hear...a version of pro tools is included...anyone privy to Pro Tools?
Old 02-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
Clyde

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Queer Butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/They.
Relationship Status:
Butchelor.

Clyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST ReputationClyde Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I'm looking to get an interface...and I hear...a version of pro tools is included...anyone privy to Pro Tools?
I learned both Logic and ProTools in school, although I'm probably several versions behind now. I much preferred Digital Performer over Logic (I found Logic a bit illogical). ProTools is the industry standard for digital recording, of course. It's amazing, although its MIDI features seemed a bit limited or cumbersome at the time. I fell in love with Reason, and wrote several songs in it, although it is not meant for full-blown composition, at least not quite in the way that Logic or DP are. But Reason is just an amazing program. I used an Oxygen 8 which was fine for my needs at the time.

GarageBand is an ok tool, I've known people who have composed in it but it's really rather light-weight relative to other programs. I can probably scrounge my Logic notes if you want em...
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Default Clyde

I would love some help...
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

bump

i'm a protools user and i really dislike having to stay in the digi universe to make it work

i've been playing with reaper but after the last digi update my mbox is no longer compatible

i've been looking at nuendo and ardour

anyone out there want to compare and contrast daws
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #16
TCB

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FTM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Hey Everyone,

I just finished my first track titled "Drag me down." Check it out with the link below.
Brand new page, brand new everything. Friend me if you want, your support means a lot!

http://www.myspace.com/cristopheraugust
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TCB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Gershwin Bros.
Harry Warren
Johnny Mercer

my favorites
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Harry James
Charlie Barnet
Roy Eldridge
Sonny Stitt
Michael Franks
Kenny Rankin

favorite musicians
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post
Good thread start. I could really use some support and encouragement! I had mentioned this as part of my [many] topics on a music thread.

I have had a music block for about three/four years now. I used to love playing my guitar and writing music and lyrics - and creating medodies. This all was a very special way of me expressing myself... even if just for myself.

I try to explain to folks, it's like painting. If you created that way, and then it all just shut DOWN - you would feel that loss!

I always have drumming, but this is a very different part of me - even though that is creative too, yes. But, that is more like a familiar therapeutic jog down memory lane for me. And I'm not doing that as much as I would like to either.

I feel lost emotionally and losing this creative side to me has been like a partial death to my spirit. I can readily see and feel this.

Actually, a sweet woman artist once told me online to sage... and that did help. I think I am due for that today! I just don't understand how to get past this block. Or WHY I haven't been able to! It's a very strange place for me to be. When my mother stopped playing the piano years back, I always said to her, "HOW could you stop playing"?! I loved it so much. I was so baffled with her. And now I'm going through it myself. She is not missing it though, the same as I - as she found replacements. I don't want to replace this part of me. Sure, I can keep adding new parts to my way of "being", but I don't want this to stay away from me. It hurts too much. And it's a way that I've always felt very centered and grounded.

I could still sit at the drums and bang it out, but again... it is not the same thing, creativity-wise. Chord progressions and melody lines, and the rhythms one can create on the guitar. (I enjoy acoustic.) And lyrics are about growth for me, sharing and working through personal things and celebrating. I just canNOT pick up a guitar. I walk past them every day here in my cabin, a hundred times.

It did start back a few years when I was going through a very emotionally distraught time relationship-wise, which means absolutely nothing to me now. But, also then when I lost my older kid cats, M.L. at 23 and Mertie at 24. It's like that part of me died along with the grief of loss at that time.

Any suggestions, I am open... Plus, I haven't sang as much, so I know I am "rusty". I don't like to sound "off" - at all. (Perfectionist Virgo crap.) That has something to do with it all too. But, I know I must play to get back to a certain level to be able to enjoy it again. I do sing along with music, and still very much enjoy listening to songs, but my own stuff... whole 'nother story.

Thanks,
Wildcat
How about teaching someone? Sometimes, in the process of helping someone discover that piece of them that is new and growing, you could rediscover that piece of yourself as well.

I am strictly a spectator in the sport of music, but I know it's the same for me with writing. When I've struggled (which has been recently, especially), I tend to get fresh perspective from someone who is working on bettering themself and bouncing ideas off of me. Referential therapy, I guess you could call it.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 AM   #20
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

While I do not sing or play an instrument, I do spoken voice work, and A LOT of Digital sound production / editing for radio. At the station we use Adobe Audition for production. It is a good program, fairly high learning curve, but that just comes with the territory. At home I use a freeware program called Audacity. I like that I can record ANYTHING from the internet and save it as an MP3 file. What I don't like about it is the volume controls are clumsy (editing) and non existent for recording. My favorite all time sound editing program was by Macromedia, called Deck 2. They sold the program to ????? But it was so intuitive and just made sense.

What I am looking for is a really good microphone, and a mixing board. I like the hands on of a mixing board. I used to use a Shure Microphone with a Bass roll off that I loved, but have not seen in years. I like a very warm sound, with a slightly exaggerated Bass pick up. My clarity and enunciation are present so I don't need to up the "crisp sound". LOL I love sound equipment, I really want a fabulous sound studio at home.......