Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #101
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Calvin Trillin & Alice Trillin

I've been so tired lately from seeing T***P dominated news page coverage of their cry-baby temper-tantrums and chest thumping strategic lies behavior, that I went in search of Journalists who have contributed greatly to society.

So I spent the day yesterday, studying the life of Calvin Trillin.

Here's what I learned, after watching Johnny Carson interview Calvin Trillin, on JC's late night show, The Tonight Show:

Calvin Trillin married his wife by the same last name (Alice Stewart Trillin) back in 1965.... and Calvin's wife died on the day of the Nine-Eleven NYC Trade Tower attacks (source: Wiki).

Alice led an equally fulfilling life, like Calvin: She is best known for her work with cancer patients and for creating educational programming for underserved children and women.

At Alice's funeral service, Nora Ephron (of "When Harry Met Sally" fame) described the people under Trillin's protection as "anyone she loved, or liked, or knew, or didn’t quite know but knew someone who did, or didn’t know from a hole in a wall but had just gotten a telephone call from because they’d found the number in the telephone book" (source: Wiki)

For an partial list of Calvin Trillin's best known covered subject of literary interest, here's an interesting list of some of his better known works, as archived by The New York Times (LINK).

Here's the video of the Johnny Carson episode, back in November of 1988, that inspired me to research the life of Calvin Trillin:

Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #102
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default Holiday Useless Facts!

The first known candy cane was made in 1670 by a German choirmaster to help children endure lengthy nativity services. They were white and modeled after shepherds’ canes. The candy cane made its way to America in 1847, when a German immigrant decorated the tree in his Ohio home with the iconic candy.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #103
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation
Default more......

Christmas trees first made an appearance with the ancient Egyptians and Romans. They used them to mark the winter solstice. The evergreens served as a reminder of the green plants that would come in the spring. However, it wasn’t until Prince Albert and his wife Queen Victoria of England appeared in a drawing in the Illustrated London News in 1848 that the tradition took off.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #104
ksrainbow

How Do You Identify?:
Valued

Thanked 2,149 Times in 561 Posts
ksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputationksrainbow Has the BEST Reputation

Largest ball of twine

In Cawker City, officials have on display the largest ball of Sisal twine and it continues to grow ever year. Recently listed as being around 7,974,454 feet of Sisal twine rolled into a gigantic ball. A local farmer Frank Stoeber began winding his Sisal twine in 1953 and both locals and visitors continue the winding to this day.

I wrapped a few twines myself!

Ks-
ksrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksrainbow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #105
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,261 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spectre View Post
Did YOU know radio call letters west of the Mississippi begin with the letter "K"? East of the Mississippi begin with the letter "W."

In 1928, the Federal Radio Commission decided on a few rules that remain in effect to this day:

* all radio/TV call names were required to be four letters in length

* stations east of the Mississippi River were required to start their call names with ‘W’

* stations west of the Mississippi River were required to start their call names with ‘K’

No I didn't know this and it's really interesting.

DYK that Trump's grandfather had to flee Germany to dodge the military draft; ran brothels in Seattle and New York; and was never "Swedish".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 06:41 AM   #106
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,514 Times in 10,201 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

I found this out this morning...

How thin is a lightning bolt???

The width of a thumb and hotter than the sun
While the intensity of a lightning strike can make them appear as thick bolts across the sky, the actual width of a lightning bolt is only about 2-3 cm.,

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 01:58 AM   #107
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post
No I didn't know this and it's really interesting.

DYK that Trump's grandfather had to flee Germany to dodge the military draft, ran brothels in Seattle and New York, and was never "Swedish."
Were radio and TV stations that only had three letters in their call sign "grand-fathered" in that 1928 ruling?
We have WLS and 6+ others. They're primarily radio stations, but some are television.