Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 11-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #81
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

My biggest issue with eating vegetarian/vegan is I overeat carbs..... I’m obese to begin with so I don’t need to be pigging out on pasta, rice, etc. I’m trying to get myself psyched up to work a low carb version of a vegetarian plan.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #82
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
My biggest issue with eating vegetarian/vegan is I overeat carbs..... I’m obese to begin with so I don’t need to be pigging out on pasta, rice, etc. I’m trying to get myself psyched up to work a low carb version of a vegetarian plan.
The only time I really got derailed from eating low carb is bread! I really had sort of forgotten about it but my daughter brought homemade yeast dinner rolls to a family dinner several months ago and I thought "One should be OK".

Not.

I find that with either bread or sweets, it takes about a week of avoiding them to stop the craving.

There are tons of books and info online about low carb and keto diets. I don't do well with low fat diets because I am always hungry on them but I am never hungry on low carb.

It doesn't work for everyone and a vegetarian low carb is a little more difficult but I do know people doing both.

The low carb threat has some great vegetarian recipes.

Best of luck!

PS: Jessie! Miss you around here, especially on the low carb thread!

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #83
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
That happens a lot for folks starting a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, or white potatoes. I will have a small amount of sweet potatoes maybe once a month. I substitute rice with cauliflower rice, pasta with spaghetti squash, and bread with lettuce leaves. The one thing that is hard for me is having something to bite/crunch into. I keep my nut consumption pretty low due to calorie amount. (I eat two tablespoons of unsalted walnuts a day). I also have developed a complete dislike for portobello mushrooms so no "burger" substitutes for me. And, I have cut all soy products and meat substitutes due to high sodium and calorie content. If you keep a majority of your ingredients "whole foods" you will do well. Just take small steps. And watch portion size. Even though it is healthy food, too many calories is too many calories and will cause weight gain. A little change at a time won't make it feel so drastic or make you feel deprived. Good luck!
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #84
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I did a no oil vegan for about a year...I really felt good, but very time consuming. Some things that helped me:

Tofu...well drained tofu can be “stir fried” with many other things like veggies. In order to be oil free, I cooked my veggies in vegetable broth or a little water before adding them to the crumbled tofu. Adding beans (I like black beans the best) can really up the fiber and protein. Yes it adds carbs, but they are good carbs, as are your veggies.

Spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and “meat” crumbles, or sautéed mushrooms and veggies is a hearty dish. Mashed cauliflower (mashed with flavored cream cheese) is a great substitute for potatoes.

A vegetarian needs amino acid, so you may need a bottle of aminos to add to some dishes, as well as nutritional yeast (can be bought in a health food store) to give you a boost. VARIETY of foods will help to keep you from reaching for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich ( nothing wrong with them but high in carbs) or a bag of chips on the go. Keep celery cut up for cream cheese and peanut butter, keep other things like nuts (almonds are a great choice) and yogurt around.

Just some ideas, I’m sure you already have it handled.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 04:21 AM   #85
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Just a couple of recipes I have tried recently that are winners:

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was amazing. The gravy is so flavorful. I am not a huge fan of mushrooms so I put them in my processor and chopped them into small pieces. I also used sweet potatoes instead of white.

https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/veg...ushroom-gravy/

I made this last night and it surpassed my expectations. I eliminated the addition of salt (I do this with all my recipes now) but can see it adding more flavor. I froze half and the other half was dinner last night and will be for the next two.

https://www.blissfulbasil.com/best-e...19002671517630

My next venture is with the following recipe. I normally do not eat bread, but I figure I will use ezekiel for the croutons.

https://healthyblenderrecipes.com/re...n_and_croutons
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #86
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Hello, vegheads, I've been making this soup for BB and me that we both like but is just coming out too bland! I wanted to tell you the ingredients and see if you might have a suggestion as to how I could somehow make it less bland. I use low-sodium vegetable broth, low-sodium soy sauce, peanut butter, chopped ginger, chopped vegetables, and curry powder. Any thoughts?

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #87
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default s

Jen,

I also use the low-sodium veg broth in making soup, but do use some
pink Himalayan salt ten mins before it's done to bring out the flavor of
the veggies...not a lot but depending how much I'm making...a little goes
a long way for flavor
, especially because my salt intake is nil with anything else.

Is the peanut butter your using also salt-free?

keeping it veggie/vegan, Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
Hello, vegheads, I've been making this soup for BB and me that we both like but is just coming out too bland! I wanted to tell you the ingredients and see if you might have a suggestion as to how I could somehow make it less bland. I use low-sodium vegetable broth, low-sodium soy sauce, peanut butter, chopped ginger, chopped vegetables, and curry powder. Any thoughts?

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #88
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi nyc! You might try to add: low-fat coconut milk, garlic, vegan fish sauce, sesame oil, fresh finely chopped cilantro, (a) fresh serrano chili pepper/red pepper flakes, lime juice, (maybe) a bit of rice vinegar..i've done various combinations and added a side of roasted or stir fried cauliflower .. (turned out) amazing

note: i forgot to mention Thai Basil leaves!!! These are really wonderful!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 01:20 PM   #89
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanks, I'm definitely going to try out these ideas. Very helpful!

How do I... ?
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #90
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

BB says the broth is pretty good but that the vegetables taste kind of bland. I just put the veggies in raw. Should I cook them first? If so, any recommendations as to how?

How do I... ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #91
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default V

Slow- sauté of veggies with the herbs/garlic that kittygrrl gave is good. I usually sauté them for about 3mins for green leafy, and 3-5 for cruciferous like broccoli, kale. Then throw them in with the root veggies, works for me! See Now I'm hungry...smiling.

Greco

Quote:
BB says the broth is pretty good but that the vegetables taste kind of bland. I just put the veggies in raw. Should I cook them first? If so, any recommendations as to how?

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #92
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I asked the professional and He said as far as the veggies go, add a little olive oil and roast them before adding them. You could also try switching up the veggies you use for a new flavor profile. Also, He suggested a 'bugano de garne' (not how it's spelled, I'm sure, but in the ballpark as to how it's pronounced). Basically, get a bunch of herbs and spices and put them in cheesecloth and tie it closed. Let it steep in the broth and remove it before serving. You can use the no sodium salt by Morton (neither of Us could remember what it's really called) or red pepper flakes or whatever floats your boat in additional to your usual choices.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #93
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
I went Vegan for 1 year and found that extremely difficult the first couple of months after it was ok but I felt so extreme. Being Vegan and dating was difficult to do the waiters always gave me strange looks and didn't like that I asked so many questions.

I then went Vegetarian and then to eating meat every so often. My body doesn't need meat but I do like honey and the medicinal benefits of honey and I also like to use it as a sweetener. The other alternatives do not work in my best interest.

I have thought about a raw diet but this isn't as appealing to do in winter months and best to do in the summer when there are more choices for seasonal and locally grown produce.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #94
AmazonDC

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
DC

Thanked 1,486 Times in 430 Posts
AmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST ReputationAmazonDC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I asked the professional and He said as far as the veggies go, add a little olive oil and roast them before adding them. You could also try switching up the veggies you use for a new flavor profile. Also, He suggested a 'bugano de garne' (not how it's spelled, I'm sure, but in the ballpark as to how it's pronounced). Basically, get a bunch of herbs and spices and put them in cheesecloth and tie it closed. Let it steep in the broth and remove it before serving. You can use the no sodium salt by Morton (neither of Us could remember what it's really called) or red pepper flakes or whatever floats your boat in additional to your usual choices.
It's called bouquet garni babygrl
AmazonDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AmazonDC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #95
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Quote:
Some liquid smoke and a bit of tomato paste will help give a rich flavor. And I also second the coconut milk. Also Garam Masala is awesome too.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #96
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

My partner and I are vegan Hello to the fellow vegans!

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 AM   #97
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonDC View Post
It's called bouquet garni babygrl
Tomato, tomahtow.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #98
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalizingfemme View Post
Some liquid smoke and a bit of tomato paste will help give a rich flavor. And I also second the coconut milk. Also Garam Masala is awesome too.
Instead of curry powder try some red curry paste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #99
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,815 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I know this is from last month but wanted to respond again.

I can only speak for me and what works for me but maybe it will work for you, too.

When it comes to carbs: there is no such thing as a little bit.

There is something about carbs that makes me crave them if I eat a little bit.

For me, it literally means no breads (not even low carb ones), no rolls, no wraps, no rice, no potatoes, no sweets (other than maybe a fresh pear or peach with cottage cheese).

It is even hard to find yogurts that are 2 or 4% milkfat but no added sugar. I look for at least low fat with sugar grams 5-7 max. You would think yogurt is healthy but some have 16-17 grams of sugar!

You get the idea.

A week of this and I am rechecking my pantry to make sure that there are no triggers in there for me. (I do love Graham crackers and always find a box that I throw away).

Low carb or keto does usually involves eating the M ( meat ) word for some of us low carbers and I know this is the vegan/vegetarian thread so I won't go there.

I think for any healthy way of eating, you have to identify your goal and perhaps break it down. For me: no processed foods or carb-laden foods. I am still on a lazy keto (40-ish carbs, veggies and occasional fruits) but hard-core low carbers or those just starting out drop to 20. I don't think I could do that.

Regardless, being able to have fats totally satiate me and I am never hungry. Low-fat diets are a disaster for me.

It is just peace for me to not have to think about food or to feel guilty or bad about myself or what I am eating.

If I am hungry (and I am rarely hungry on low carb) I eat.

I hope it is ok I invaded the vegan/ vegetarian thread. I would like to get there at some point but that is a longer-term goal for me.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #100
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

I made this meatloaf for Christmas and it was so good. And rather than put a maple glaze on it, I made gravy. Both came out so good with great flavor.

http://ninasveganrecipes.com/2016/11...kpea-meatloaf/

https://www.thespruce.com/basic-vege...recipe-3377667

I used chickpea flour instead of white. And there were no mushrooms. Yay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: