Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
StoneFinn

How Do You Identify?:
Transgressive Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine
Relationship Status:
hog-tied with love

StoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Avairy-- aka Gone to the Birds

'allo All and welcome to the Avairy

Thought that I would start this back up-- For the birds, and those of us who love them.

The songbirds that come and brighten our days in our gardens, the parrots that wake us here at dawn. The crows and blackbirds that we love, and the small finches that we put seed out for...

Who are the birds in your life... who are the rare birds you look for, the ones you watch out for...

This is our place to share our stories, questions, pictures... and overall love of birds...

Welcome!

"If I were to think of and dwell on disastrous possibilities, I could do nothing. I throw myself headlong into my work, and come up again with my studies; if the storm within gets too loud, I take a glass too much to stun myself." ~~ Van Gogh
StoneFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StoneFinn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
StoneFinn

How Do You Identify?:
Transgressive Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine
Relationship Status:
hog-tied with love

StoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST Reputation

Just a photo or two to help get things rolling:

Some Emu's-- NOT in a zoo, but just out alongside the road during a drive one weekend... they are amazing (and dangerous) and I got nervous once the male was within a couple of meters of me. (do remember that emu's are a little smaller than an ostrich and have huge talons that are about 6 inches long on the end of very muscular legs)

These last ones are a mating pair of Wedgetail Eagles that we saw on another drive not far from home. They are among the largest birds of prey in the world-- reaching wingspans of 73-89 inches (6'1"- 7'5"), with a very distinctive wedge shaped tail.

"If I were to think of and dwell on disastrous possibilities, I could do nothing. I throw myself headlong into my work, and come up again with my studies; if the storm within gets too loud, I take a glass too much to stun myself." ~~ Van Gogh
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to StoneFinn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

When we still lived in Charles City, the annual migration of cedar waxwings was always a great treat to catch. I referred to them as tiny bandits, as they would move from tree to tree stripping any berries or nuts hidden by squirrels and make off with them. Couple interesting notes: They will store food in their throats, like 30 berries at a time to feed young. They will also line up on a branch and pass food from one to the next down the line until one finally eats it.

Neat lil fellers!

Thanks for the thread Finney Han! I'm a big old bird watching dork from way back!

Last edited by Jess; 05-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

I am another bird watching fan here! I even belong to a club called Birds & Bikes. You follow birds and ride your bike along nature trails. I really enjoy it.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile thank you.

stone finn, i have long loved your bird photography. thank you for starting this thread. here is a link on cranes, please:

http://www.savingcranes.org/

thinking about how connected we are all to birds-

impacts/more thoughts: wind farms and flyways, backyard to remote habitats, oil spill and migration, endangered species, songbirds, raptors, pesticides, representation in history of art, spirituality, poetry/music, ornithologists, et c.

stunning images-

belle

Last edited by violaine; 05-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I put up a couple of pretty handpainted birdhouses on my deck for decoration a couple of years ago. A sparrow couple set up housekeeping and have never left! They are very sexually active and give birth 3-4 separate times each season. Fascinates me when it is time for the little buggers to venture out of the nest.

Thankfully, they are used to my being there now and no longer dive bomb me when I step foot out the door.

We also have a pair of hawks which are awesome to watch until they swoop down on the chipmunks for a snack.

Cardinals, yellow finches, chickadees, titmouses.....sometimes I sit there with the Birds of North America book trying to figure out who is visiting me.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

today is already quite warm in indiana. visiting the feeding stations today are the following birds-

sparrows, grackles, red-winged blackbirds, cardinals, jays, and on the ground- mourning doves, american robins, crows [my favourite], & late afternoon/early evening ducks.

the red-winged blackbirds take over the feeding stations, and make a shrill sounding * chreeeeeep- chreeeeeep*

during a walk, i'll see all of the birds listed at the feeders plus- finches, woodpeckers, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks, cooper's hawks, great blue herons, ducks, geese, crows, and great horned owls.

cornell lab is a wonderful place i am very fond of ornithologist kevin mcgowan, and he's why i became a supporter of the field work/research he's done over the years with florida scrub jays and crows. i've made his acquaintance, and while some people may become star struck over actors, i'd much rather meet ornithologists/primatologists and so on !

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/index.html

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/ia...le/animals.htm

the first link is to kevin/cornell, and the second

has tons of information on history of art/animal symbolism.

Falcon / Hawk byk - The sacred bird of the falcon-headed solar god Horus, it was also regarded as his Ba. The falcon was a bird that had protective powers, and was frequently linked with royalty, where it was depicted as hovering over the head of the pharaoh, with outstretched wings. The falcon was also sacred to Montu, god of war, and Sokar, god of the Memphite necropolis. The bird of prey was sometimes associated with Hathor, 'The House of Horus'. The son of Horus, Qebehsenuef who guarded the canopic jar of the intestines, was a falcon-headed god. The human headed ba-bird was sometimes given the body of a falcon.

Heron bnw - The bnw-bird was represented as a heron, and was thought to be the original phoenix - it was a bird of the sun and rebirth, the sacred bird of Heliopolis, closely linked to the primeval mound. It was also thought to be the Ba of both Ra and Osiris.

Ibis hb - Regarded as the reincarnation of Thoth, the sacred ibis was sacred to the god of knowledge, who had the form of an ibis-headed man. The Akhu, part of the soul, was written with the sign of a crested ibis, known as the Akhu-bird.

Ostrich nyw - Ma'at, the personification of order, was shown as a seated woman wearing an ostrich feather as her headdress or as the feather itself.

Vulture nrt - sacred to Nekhbet, goddess of Upper Egypt and Mut, mother goddess. The vulture often holds the shn symbol of eternity in its talons, offering eternal protection to the pharaoh. As such, the vulture is closely linked to rulership.

happy day birding to you all-

belle
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Smile

i started two albums for here- one is called aprilOwls, though it contains hawks. the other album is crows [which only has a few rather far away images, but i like them anyway!]

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/a...rilOwlOwletts/

Last edited by violaine; 05-06-2010 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation
Default Avid birder here

I'm hitting my favorite birding spot next weekend in northern Michigan, hoping I am not too late for the spring migration. Michigan is blessed by being located in a major fly-way. We see lots of cool birds here in the spring. A few years ago, my best bird was a Lewis' Woodpecker, normally only seen in the desert out West. It was blown off course and was spotted at Whitefish Point in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I happened to be in the area and drove over to the area and I ended up spotting it in the scrubby pines. It was amazing!

I'd love it if birders would post their lists in here of things they seen on their birding days. It would be cool to read what others are seeing in their part of the world.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not an official birder - but I love birds.

One day 10 years ago, I was sitting in a friend's garden looking at the pigeons lined up on the telephone wires above. And there, in the midst of their grayness, was a bright bold green parrot.

There's actually a colony of parrots living in a large cemetery not far from my house. Here's a link: http://blogs.discovery.com/nerdabout...ts-of-nyc.html
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

We have some pretty interesting birds here in Arkansas and Jack saw her first Cardinal and Bluejay when we moved here!

We do have some funny little ones running along the ground. At first I thought they might be actual RoadRunners but they have a bluish-back and a reddish-belly. They are FAST too!

We also have a lot of Killdeer (I think that's what they are called?) that build their nests in rocks on the ground and then if you get too close to them, they will act like they have a broken wing to lead you away.

Oh, and did I mention that some kind of bird has built its nest on the downspout right outside our living room window? I expect to see little hungry heads popping up any day now
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Default not just a cartoon character- carnivorous bird

medusa,

roadrunners are very cool birds with an impressive ground running speed and diet.

i am having a hard time thinking of all the marine environment, birds in need of human intervention, and habitats - plant/animal. long-term ecological effects of the oil spill nightmare have me feeling beyond sad today.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation
Default Get a hair cut.

they are taking hair cuttings from all over the U.S to fill stockings with which in turn will help in cleaning up the oil spill. There's an article but I'm too lazy to post the link.(it's actually worth looking up) I did however donate as much hair as I had yesterday
MrSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSunshine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
StoneFinn

How Do You Identify?:
Transgressive Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine
Relationship Status:
hog-tied with love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I'm hitting my favorite birding spot next weekend in northern Michigan, hoping I am not too late for the spring migration. Michigan is blessed by being located in a major fly-way. We see lots of cool birds here in the spring. A few years ago, my best bird was a Lewis' Woodpecker, normally only seen in the desert out West. It was blown off course and was spotted at Whitefish Point in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I happened to be in the area and drove over to the area and I ended up spotting it in the scrubby pines. It was amazing!

I'd love it if birders would post their lists in here of things they seen on their birding days. It would be cool to read what others are seeing in their part of the world.

Jake
'allo Jake... and great to hear from you-- that is an awesome story about the Lewis' Woodpecker ! Talk about you being in the right place at the right time there!

I am a pretty avid birder and bird photographer-- in my early 20's I was lucky enough to be the naturalist for one of the Audubon Society Reserves in the US for a while. Even before then, when I was small my Mum was a vet tech, also in the States, and I was able to do things like raise a set of orphaned ducklings, and even an orphaned great horned owl at home. The ducks, we eventually released ourselves, though the owl went to a Raptor rehab center after a while.

I also was also lucky to have a large raptor nest right next to my side of the house on the farm growing up-- so birds have always been a huge focus of mine. I started working on photographing them with that nest-- running out with my kodak 110 insta-matic trying to get decent snaps of the ospreys or the owls.

Since that time, I have traveled all over North America, and now also parts of Southeast Asia, into New Zealand (to see the Albatross specifically), and live in Australia. I have even been lucky enough to stand within a couple of meters of the Little Penguin-- an Aussie native penguin-- in the wild down in the Melbourne region.

Thank you everyone for posting and sharing your stories and photos! Keep them coming every one makes me smile, and I love being able to share some of the birds that I see that others might not ever be able to... and seeing birds that I might never be able to travel to see myself

My partner has become used to me doing things like suddenly stopping the truck, grabbing the ever present camera, and me running off somewhere, chasing after something... usually all she hears is "BIRD!" as I jump out... LOL She has an eternal patience with me, especially when it comes to this-- her only "rule" is that I don't run the truck off the road, into another MV or off a cliff because I am too busy looking at a bird. I think that is fair.

Otherwise-- I am hoping for the safety and well being of all my and our feathered (and scaled and non-scaled and so on) friends up in the Gulf of Mexico....

will close with a couple more photos tonight...
A **small** flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos in NSW

One of the ducks (that I am still working on an ID for) at one of the local park ponds.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StoneFinn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSunshine View Post
they are taking hair cuttings from all over the U.S to fill stockings with which in turn will help in cleaning up the oil spill. There's an article but I'm too lazy to post the link.(it's actually worth looking up) I did however donate as much hair as I had yesterday
A Matter of Trust <<<<linky loo
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Smile catbird-

http://www.avianweb.com/greycatbirds.html

i hear them every time i walk, and they sound exactly like a meowing possibly quite hungry cat! was able to photograph one- although he or she did give me the stink eye. they are elusive creatures- or else quite bold- so i've read. i think, in my own experience, more of the former!

The Following User Says Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post
http://www.avianweb.com/greycatbirds.html

i hear them every time i walk, and they sound exactly like a meowing possibly quite hungry cat! was able to photograph one- although he or she did give me the stink eye. they are elusive creatures- or else quite bold- so i've read. i think, in my own experience, more of the former!

Now THIS is something that I've wanted to know for awhile now. I hear them all the time around here. They confuse me now and again when I'm looking for my outdoor kitty.

Saw three or four crows chasing an eagle away from - I assume - their nest this afternoon. The great hunter chased away by the great crowers. It never ceases to amaze me - the protective instincts of animals.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I will be in the field Saturday all day and Sunday morning. I cannot wait! I will post my list back here when I have a minute.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:

Hack wrote: I will be in the field Saturday all day and Sunday morning. I cannot wait! I will post my list back here when I have a minute.

i hope you have a great time!

sue, catbirds are beautiful birds, and i'm not surprised about the crows mobbing eagles, hawks, or owls. in turn, crows are mobbed by smaller birds.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

I am mad for birds. I've owned and bred birds. I'm an avid bird watcher.

StoneFinn, could that be a Garganey or an Australian Wood Duck? It's hard to tell because it's a black and white. My third guess is the Pacific Black Duck.

I love playing the "id this bird" game, by the way.

Wildest bird I've ever seen was when I was very young. It was a Sunday morning in Monroe, LA (southern United States). Our neighbor came knocking on our door to "Come see."

In his live oak tree sat a HUGE white bird.

It was a Snowy Owl who'd apparently taken a heck of a wrong turn somewhere. She or he was gorgeous.

I've seen some other unusual birds in my day. I want to get a birding book and do some serious, binoculars-in-hand, early-freaking-morning birding.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post: