Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation
Default TSA Experiences

Please share your Transportation Security Administration (TSA) experiences here. Be sure to denote if you are referring to before or after the “enhanced” pat downs began in November 2010.

I have not flown for over a year now and I find I am dreading any interaction with the TSA screeners due to the multitude of recent negative reports. I really want to know I am over reacting so my honey and I can fly away to some place warm for a week or so.

As much as I would love to know how everyone feels about the TSA, it would be my preference to hear from only those that have experienced TSA security. Thank you for your consideration.

Please tell me your experience(s) and be sure to include:

1) What airport you flew out of
2) Did you go through a metal detector or the backscatter
3) Did you alarm or opt out
4) Describe your pat down experience, if any
5) Describe the experience of anyone traveling with you or to visit you
6) State how you feel about the TSA and Homeland Security
7) Anything else you feel is pertinent

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Except for a few day trips for work, my last flight was in February of 2008. We had to change terminals during a layover in PHX. My carry on was passing through x-ray when the TSO starting yelling how we were going to make everyone miss their flights. He stopped the belt and began pulling things out of my bag. We have no idea what he saw in the x-ray that caused his reaction but he became even more excited and louder when he found our liquids, all in 3 oz bottles and in the quart size baggie. He opened the baggie and pulled out the bottle marked ‘sunscreen SPF 45’ in black sharpie. He then insisted this meant the bottle was 4.5 oz rather than 3 oz.

To this day, I can’t remember what happened after he found the offensive item but we were allowed to gather our things, including the sunscreen, and go.

I do not believe I am any safer now than I was before TSA. Nothing the TSA is doing will prevent a terrorist from taking down a plane. It would be my preference to do away with TSA.

Andrea

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

I've flown a fair amount in the past year, but only between Syracuse, NYC, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Phoenix.

I got a pat down in West Palm for wearing a "voluminous skirt"...but it was no big deal...female TSA agent was polite, professional and quick. And another in Phoenix when I stupidly wore a blouse with a metal clasp that couldn't be removed and set off the metal detector. Again, no big deal.

I was given a choice in Phoenix to go in the backscatter line or the standard line...the TSA agent was just telling people (correctly) that the backscatter line moved faster, but we were all free to make our own choice. I went in the standard line, because I don't like the idea of the backscatter.

Andrea, I wonder if the TSA agent you described got all weird because your liquids were packed in your bag. In every airport I fly through they tell you to put them on top, not in your carryon, so that they can clearly be seen. He/She may have felt like you were trying to hide something.

Orlando security is slow and difficult to predict...mostly because a bazillion families are going through there on vacation. Sometimes it feels like they're just shoveling people through, and other times they get very picky.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
I've flown a fair amount in the past year, but only between Syracuse, NYC, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Phoenix.

I got a pat down in West Palm for wearing a "voluminous skirt"...but it was no big deal...female TSA agent was polite, professional and quick. And another in Phoenix when I stupidly wore a blouse with a metal clasp that couldn't be removed and set off the metal detector. Again, no big deal.

I was given a choice in Phoenix to go in the backscatter line or the standard line...the TSA agent was just telling people (correctly) that the backscatter line moved faster, but we were all free to make our own choice. I went in the standard line, because I don't like the idea of the backscatter.

Andrea, I wonder if the TSA agent you described got all weird because your liquids were packed in your bag. In every airport I fly through they tell you to put them on top, not in your carryon, so that they can clearly be seen. He/She may have felt like you were trying to hide something.

Orlando security is slow and difficult to predict...mostly because a bazillion families are going through there on vacation. Sometimes it feels like they're just shoveling people through, and other times they get very picky.
Thank you for your response. I am happy to hear you found your pat downs to be "no big deal".

Do you feel flying is safer with the latest TSA requirements, including receiving a pat down due to wearing a skirt or wearing clothing that has a metal clasp? Were you allowed to keep your things in view at all times?

You may be correct about why the TSA agent in my situation got all weird. We are not seasoned travelers so may have made a mistake but that certainly does not excuse his yelling at us.

Andrea

Last edited by Andrea; 03-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Please share your Transportation Security Administration (TSA) experiences here. Be sure to denote if you are referring to before or after the “enhanced” pat downs began in November 2010.

I have not flown for over a year now and I find I am dreading any interaction with the TSA screeners due to the multitude of recent negative reports. I really want to know I am over reacting so my honey and I can fly away to some place warm for a week or so.

As much as I would love to know how everyone feels about the TSA, it would be my preference to hear from only those that have experienced TSA security. Thank you for your consideration.

I travel regularly. By that I mean I usually am somewhere up in the air 1-4 times a month. In fact, I have an upcoming trip outside of the US. The main airports I use/have gone through are: LAX (current home airport); JFK (Terminal 8 was former home airport); DFW (go through lots); YYZ (Toronto -- 1-3 times a year); YUL (Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport in Montreal); YHZ (once every other year); SJC (San Jose, CA); SFO (San Fran) and so on. I've rarely had problems in the last 3 years (I've had about 40-50 flights in those years) except once when I had my new passport but the ticket was in my old name. That took an extra 5 min at DC's Dulles airport (gawd awful TSA design where ALL terminals go through the same security checkpoint).

I've gone through both and have never had a problem (I'm pre-op at all levels). And I've never alarmed. This is simply because I've gotten a good routine: when going to the airport I put all things that could trigger the alarm into my knapsack, remove my laptop, take off my cap and shoes. While each TSA Security checkpoint has minor differences there are some consistencies:

- bags should be on the conveyor belt
- laptops, iPads and other tablets in their own box on the conveyor
- liquids outside of carry-on (I rarely take liquids with me unless it's my T -- most other liquids stay in my checked luggage)
- shoes are usually sandals (Keens) or Five Fingers; ideally something to easily slip on and off

I tend to get through checkpoints in 5 min or less. I've never been patted down but that may be because I've never given them reason to. I listen to what is said, pay attention, be polite and smile.

As for TSA and Homeland Security, well.. as a person who is allowed to stay in the country on a work visa and how I've been treated by them and USCIS, I'll hold my tongue. I will say this: I've seen some of the nastiest things said to TSA agents. These people do not get paid huge amounts to do their jobs nor do they deserve to receive the wrath of what we dislike about the rules. Those should be fired at the head of Homeland Security and the various Reps and Senators that voted the Patriot Act and Super Patriot Act into action, the very laws, IIRC, that created this organization.

As for safe, hardly. As a security geek, I can think of things that could make this country more safe (mostly related to how the US maintains it's foreign policy and it's image abroad). This does add transparency but doesn't address the true issue of safety. Regulations for the airlines, consumer protection and better standardization would help. Hearing -- non-stop -- about it being "Threat Level Orange" is asinine and does nothing.

Now, I will add that in this day and age I'd expect everyone to know what's required of them when traveling. I get frustrated by the number of people who refuse to check their oversized bag (yes, I know there is a fee with some airlines but it is annoying) and I get further annoyed by those who don't come to the security check points prepared in advance. TSA's website (and now their iPhone app) actually have good guidance as to what to do when going through the security process and what you're allowed to bring.

From TSA's website:

Quote:
Make Your Trip Better Using 3-1-1

TSA and our security partners conducted extensive explosives testing since August 10, 2006 and determined that liquids, aerosols and gels, in limited quantities, are safe to bring aboard an aircraft. The one bag limit per traveler limits the total amount each traveler can bring. Consolidating the bottles into one bag and X-raying them separately from the carry-on bag enables security officers to quickly clear the items.

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.
Now, yelling at you is not acceptable. I would suggest that if it happens in the future, contact their Civil Rights office (I think it's kind of like an ombudsman or something: http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/civilrights/index.shtm) I will say that they have improved and they are listening to passengers. They certainly have been listening to the trans* community and our concerns, particularly about the Backscatter scanner.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
TickledPink

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Girly Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss Pink
Relationship Status:
Shacked UP

Location: The Holt-Mason Chateau Decherd/I'm a NashVegas Girl!
Thanked 1,998 Times in 607 Posts
TickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST Reputation

I've flown a great deal/numerous airports. I've never experienced any negative behavior from a TSA employee. In fact, I've had fun with a great deal of them. I found, if I wear my "Bite Me" t-shirt, it's a hit every time!

There was an error on my part once. I forgot I had a bottle of water in my backpack and every bell and whistle in LAX went off! I was mortified, they were NOT amused. I tried to make the best of it, they were still NOT amused........

They (TSA employees) have a tough gig. Keeping us safe! While rude and arrogance is not acceptable, I prefer nothing to be overlooked when I'm up in the air! Pat me down, scan me, check my bags and do it again if need be!
TickledPink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TickledPink For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Linus: Thank you for responding. I am sure there are travelers that mistreat TSA agents. Some people are just not good at tolerating any type of authority. You see it all the time with DMV, police, teachers, etc.

Tickled Pink: Thank you for offering your experiences. Is there a limit to what you would do to fly?

Andea

Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Bump!! Any other TSA experiences to be shared?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Bumping again. Anyone else have experience with TSA?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post

I've flown from Orlando (Jo is right...it sucks), Seattle, Austin, Denver, Chicago, NYC, Jackson, San Francisco, Reno, and a bunch of other smaller airports that I just can't remember right now. Denver and Austin are the easiest, by far, to navigate. Seattle's not horrible either. The really BIGGGG cities? Fuggitaboutit.

It's been a little under two years since I've flown anywhere, to the best of my recollection.

I've never been backscatted but I have been patted down. The last time, I forgot to take off my sweatshirt before going through security. My error and the lady was quick with the pat down. I did have to wait for them to find her as there were no females at the security point when I went in. In my own defense, it was o'dark thirty and I was effin sleepy. But again, it was my error. Before that, I think I was patted down twice. Once because I had a corset on that had metal in it and I wasn't removing it and once I can't remember why but it was years ago and neither left me with a bitter taste.

I've been rather fortunate in terms of speediness (versus safety) as I have packed things that aren't really supposed to be packed, either from laziness or a mental hiccup, that have gone through just fine and without raising alarm. I did lose a nail file and a small pair of scissors, separately, over the years. I really miss that file, darn it.

I think that the TSA has a job to do and those who have the power to make that job better or worse are working hard on the latter, unfortunately. The agents themselves have, for the most part, been courteous and/or downright kind in my experience. Of course, there have been a couple of snobasses or grumpalumps but who doesn't have a bad day now and again?

All in all, my flying experiences have been okay. What I tend to remember more than the security stuff, is how the flight staff treat me. There have been some outstanding flight attendants that I remember and a handfull of really crappy ones that obviously didn't give a rat's patootie about any of us on the flight. Again, we all have bad days but those are the memories that stick with me most. Not the few minutes I spend in line with TSA, but the hours I spend sitting in those uncomfortable seats and the flight staff that either makes that time better, or worse.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

) What airport you flew out of. Nashville, LAX, London Heathrow, O'Hare, Midway, Charlotte, Dulles, Toronto, Vancouver, Atlanta, Detroit, etc.

2) Did you go through a metal detector or the backscatter. Usually metal detector

Never had a problem

4) Describe your pat down experience, if any.
When I have been patted down, I just looked the other way and dealt. It was ok and everyone very nice and respectful

No one traveling with me has has a problem, ecept my boss when he tried to bring in marmalade. He was mad, but TSA just made him place it ion his luggage.

I feel like the Patriot Act continues to take away many of our rights. I am not a fan. TSA...working people doing their jobs.

7) Anything else you feel is pertinent. Like Linus said, be prepared and plan on having a good calm attitude and it should all be just fine.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thank you Gemme and apocalipstic for your responses.

Not sure what I was looking for with this thread but I am not feeling any more comfortable about dealing with TSA than I did before.

Once again, I appreciate every response.

Andrea

Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
durrrrrrrr

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he , him

Thanked 10,217 Times in 2,504 Posts
durrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputationdurrrrrrrr Has the BEST Reputation

i fly a lot. I've never had any problems. I did have some listerine thrown away cuz it was over the 3 oz, that was my mistake.

I have been a couple times asked to step to the side and put in that x-ray machine that does a 360 and then had to wait for the results. I have been asked to step aside where they took some cloth kinda material over my hands ( i later found out that was done to see if there is any residue from explosive materials or anything out of the ordianary. i have been patted down, still didnt bother me any

I never have had any real major problems. and whenever or every time I get singled out for extra inspection, I don't mind at all. Whatever it takes to make sure everyone is safe.

the lady who inspected my suitcase and took out the listerine told me what she was looking for even before she opened the suitcase. thought she was nice and did a great job.

I never give any of the TSA people problems. I do the "yes sir" or "yes ma'am" cuz i respect what they do.

well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit
durrrrrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to durrrrrrrr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
Nina
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
unmistakably
Preferred Pronoun?:
dearheart
Relationship Status:
In love, loved and Happy, thanks for askin'

Thanked 3,383 Times in 931 Posts
Nina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST Reputation

I just figure if I want, or need, to fly it's part of the whole deal...

I did have a creepy and intrusive "pat down" one time...so much so that another passenger commented on it when we were through the check-point...she could tell that there was something wrong with it from her line...but, what am I going to do?...stand and scream like a crazy person and not get on the plane?...worse has happened to me, to be sure...

I have gotten through some times in a second...and other times someone wants to do what they want to do so I have to take things out of my purse or carry on...send them through the xray machines over and over...*shrug* again, what am I going to do?

I am very single minded about flying--I want to get up into the air, come down from the air...when the trip is over do the same thing in reverse and then I've had a good trip...all the other stuff is just other stuff...

some of the screeners may misuse their absolute power and others are just doing a job...it's all gonna be over very quickly in the span of a life...

just be sure to wear socks, stockings, something to cover your feet for the taking your shoes off part...it's filthy enough, and with bare feet--well, it makes me shudder thinking of it...bring some disposable booties if you care to, that will keep your stockings or socks clean for when you're allowed to wear your shoes again !

safe travels...
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Please note: These are all crimes from 2011. This does not include previous years or undiscovered crimes.

I feel sad, angry and betrayed all at the same time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Morgan

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, hy, hym, does not matter
Relationship Status:
I am enjoying life....

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,604 Times in 411 Posts
Morgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST ReputationMorgan Has the BEST Reputation

I have much to say on this subject...first let me say I am appalled by the actions of these TSA workers. However, it happens everywhere, from police officers to Priests and anywhere a person is in power, but it does not mean we stop trusitng law enforcement officers or stop going to Church.

I would like to share my personal story after 9/11, I can truly say what happened that day impacted my life....and sickened me to the core. I have never felt so angry as I did on that day, and I felt so friggin powerless. I was living in Maine at the time and was ready to jump in my car and head to New York City, I was stopped by my partner at the time and realized I could not do anything that day to help. So I watched in horror as the building collapsed and prior to that I saw people jumping to their deaths on the television in my livingroom.

A few days later, I got a call from my guard unit, asking if I would volunteer for an assignment to the airports, standing guard with a loaded M-16 rifle, and you can best bet I had enough ammunition to blow those mother f....cking terrorists back to afghanistan. I carried 100 rounds on my person and in my weapon, I was ready and people stopped and thanked me for being there. People were scared and people were angry, but we had to fly, we had no alternative, but to take our airports back. This was our right, we should not have had to fear flying or any other mode of transportation, who gave them the right to take away our freedom. I swore to myself that I would protect you and anyone else, that needed protection....

Five months from the day in which I got to the airport, I applied for the first ever TSA security positions in the US, it was a supervisor position, I was sent to Chicago and passed the written, physical and emotional tests for the job. Many people did not pass and were escorted from the hotel, this numbered in the thousands. A few weeks later I was sent to Oklahoma City, for training to begin federalizing the airports. The individuals who trained me were retired and ex-federal officials from the secret service, FBI and CIA department. They had no experience in screening at the airports, but knew how to look for terrorists and people that were not on the up and up...they trained us for 2 weeks, on everything from screening bags, pat downs, screening passengers, x-ray machines, and facial expressions. We learned what we needed to know to protect all the people in the airports from flying with a terrorist, who did not give a f..ck what happened to you or any other American. I trained so that I could go to the airports and train other screeners how to also protect you and everyone else, we started with Baltimore, then I headed to JFK, LaGuardia, and Houston Hobby...then I was sent back to my airport in Maine. While in NYC I had a chance to see the pit which once stood the Twin Towers and I cried, for all the people who lost their lives and their loved ones, but mostly I cried, because in one day we lost our faith in humanity....and the right to believe that we are all safe.

I know that TSA is not perfect, but tell me one career that is and I will call you on it. They are there to protect your freedom and your rights....there are some bad apples and I say punish them....they are stupid, selfish, idiots and deserve to be punished.

Sorry about my rant, but I am passionate about this and although I only worked with TSA for three years, many of my friends still work there and are hard working, honest individuals who want to make your life safer.....

Last edited by Morgan; 02-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Morgan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Morgan, thank you for your heart felt reply. No, I am not suggesting there are any professions that don't have some type of corruption or 'bad' people. I do feel the TSA has an inordinately large number of child sexual abusers, many in TSA management positions.

My understanding is there are 50,000 TSA employees at the airports. The video I posted only listed 12 incidents from 2011. I am also aware of several more not included in the video, including payments made to a TSA employee to allow transportation of drugs. In my mind, that is too large of a percentage to be 'acceptable'.

I don't have an answer to this problem. People want security, real or perceived. I just want people to understand they need to be aware of the issues found within the TSA. Everyone should weigh the facts for themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

No pat downs Here post 9/11, Denver, Orlando, Houston, Puerto Vallarta.. My daughter has been traveling alone since she was five now she's fifteen. airlines and airports have been kind enough to let me and grandparents through security to escort her to gate and pick her up. On a recent occasion to pick her up in Orlando I had to go through the body scanner, so I did. I went through and was headed to get my belongings and a female tsa agent said "hold on sir". . 2 male tsa agents were at the xray machine nodded and then she said "oh NM you're okay." Lol I am preop Trans and was cracking up but happy I was called sir. I think if you follow the rules, are considerate, know they have a job to do and want little complication as possible things will go smooth for everyone. most are professional in their job and duties and understand people just want to get through and on with their travels. As a security officer having to check purses and bags at events, I know If people aren't ready when they hit the checkpoint and know the rules and what can be taken on site or on board it makes it uncomfortable for everyone and some become irritated and ask why and then just have to explain the rules and laws. So if you know all this ahead of time things will go smooth and fast and its to your advantage. I am glad we have the security we do in place and the homeland security and tsa branch. If you don't know there is also armed marshalls on airlines now dressed like everybody else.
I'd rather be safe knowing they have my safe travels in their interest and not letting a terrorist get through.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
JoSchmooze

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, hym, mister or "sir", like I get called by strangers!

Thanked 10,989 Times in 1,627 Posts
JoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST ReputationJoSchmooze Has the BEST Reputation

Having read all these responses, I would like to add my own two cents worth. I travel extensively because of my career. I have spent months on end going to the same place or flying as little as once a month. I have been doing this for a little over 15 years. I have seen all the changes since 9/11 and I agree with most of them.

Six years ago I had a titanium knee replacement. Since then I have been patted down or if possible, go through the backscatter machine. Now, in saying this I have found that before I go through the regular magnometer (screening machine) I indicate that they will have to call for a "female assist". The reason I bring this up is because even though I have not gone through any surgery, because of my size, hair stlye (spiky brush cut), voice and attitude I come off as male. All of the female TSA agents have treated me with respect . They explain everything they are going to do and will ask if you prefer a private screening. I treat the pat downs with a bit of humor by engaging with them by saying things like "you know you have to buy me dinner now" or "you know we have to stop meeting this way" but I always say it with a smile of my face! Most of the TSA agents in Tucson, AZ know me by face now and will have someone ready to gather up my belongings and escort me to a screening area. I have never missed a flight because of this process, nor have I been separated from my belongings. I am always able to see my belongings during a pat down. I actually missed packing up my laptop on my return home once but TSA contacted me that night (I have a business card taped to the cover of my laptop). When I went to retrieve it, all I ahd to do to prove that it was mine was start it up and enter the correct password (and show ID).

I do have one funny story......Recently I came through security in Frankfurt, Germany - not TSA but German officials. Of course, the magnometer buzzed when I went through and there were a male and female standing there with the handheld devices. I looked at the male and he was ready to start patting me down....I then looked at the female and said in my broken German "Ich eine frau"....I am a woman! He immediately stopped and her eyes got real big as she apologized profusely!!

Oh, and by the way....if you want to bring back cheese from Wisconsin home to your friends or family.....Be aware that it is the same consistency as C4 explosives. They will pull your carry on bag and ask to look inside! I spent a whole year going back and forth from Tucson to Milwaukee....I call that my "cheese smuggling trips"!

Relax and listen to the rules and there shouldn't be a problem.....

Last edited by JoSchmooze; 02-04-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Additional info
JoSchmooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoSchmooze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

ruff and Jo:

Did you watch the video? How do you feel about the number of TSA being charged with crimes? Do you feel it is proportional to the profession compared to other professions?

As a side question to you both: do you have any concern for the radiation put out by the backscatter machine?

Thank you for your input.