Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default Photographers and Photo Enthusiasts.

I'm curious about what kind of cameras folks use? Do you think a an expensive camera is necessary for great shots?

Do you/have you ever entered a photo contest? Did you win?

Also, show us an example of one of your best shots. When you do, give us a little background on the photo.

Have fun!

Thanks,

~Elijah

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:
happily occupied and awfully engaged.

traumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Subscribing and coming back later!

I used to do a lot of SLR stuff back in the days of film.... remember film?

Since then,I've just had point and shoot type digital cameras. I finally just got a nice sorta entry level DSLR body last week but opted for a higher quality lens. I definitely wouldn't say an expensive camera equates a good picture... but in the right hands the possibilities are endless.

Got a few photos posted in the "Hiking Enthusiasts" thread, and would love any tips if you're into DSLR.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

i am just a beginner but i have some fav photos i have take with my two digital point and shoot cameras...one of the first pics i took with my nikon cool pix is the pic of myself posted in the gallery

it was taken in 2010 on my birthday after i received the camera as a gift
cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

I got a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 not too long, and have been loving it. I also have two lenses for it, and have been looking into getting a macro lens and a wide angle lens as soon as I figure out what is going to give me the results that I want, and that I can afford.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #5
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
I got a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 not too long, and have been loving it. I also have two lenses for it, and have been looking into getting a macro lens and a wide angle lens as soon as I figure out what is going to give me the results that I want, and that I can afford.
my wide angle and macro are my two favorites..

Rebel is a great entry level, but if you are serious, you will be upgrading.

its a very expensive habit. My wide angle was $600 and my macro was probably about the same.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
Logicaly

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male
Relationship Status:
She is the gamer girl to my gamer boy

Thanked 1,744 Times in 513 Posts
Logicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST ReputationLogicaly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post

its a very expensive habit. My wide angle was $600 and my macro was probably about the same.
That is what I figured, the lenses I have looked at are around that price and I really want to get into macro shots, I love the close up details. So far the Rebel does what I want. I am not at this point looking to make money off my photos, but I am greatly enjoying taking much better ones than with a regular point and shoot. This is my first time really shooting in manual mode, so I have been learning a lot.
Logicaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logicaly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #7
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicaly View Post
That is what I figured, the lenses I have looked at are around that price and I really want to get into macro shots, I love the close up details. So far the Rebel does what I want. I am not at this point looking to make money off my photos, but I am greatly enjoying taking much better ones than with a regular point and shoot. This is my first time really shooting in manual mode, so I have been learning a lot.
if you are in manual you are doing very well!

i learned to shoot on film, you had to know how to drive the camera.

you will know when its time, but being on the coast, wide angle is the way to go.

i ventured out last week on a photo assignment, and only used my macro..... its amazing what you can see when you get on the ground.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #8
cricket26

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
must be love on the brain

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,297 Posts
cricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputationcricket26 Has the BEST Reputation

i entered 2 photo contests! *crossing fingers*

cricket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cricket26 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
hopelessromantic69

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
all male
Relationship Status:
Single but unavailable

hopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputationhopelessromantic69 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I hear you about expense. My Nikon 85mm macro lens was around $600. I would love the 105mm also!
Old 04-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #10
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Woman first...anything after that is on a need to know basis.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am in a committed relationship with myself.

firecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputation
Default refresh

With summer approaching I was hoping we could get this subject started again...maybe posting some of our work. Talking about what works what doesn't and why we shoot what we shoot?
Just a thought....
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds good, photography and I have had a love affair going for about 55 years since I first bought a 620 aground insta click plasticcamera. I was around9 or 10...
With the ability to photograph and have the photo instantly, sometimes I think people have decided photography is easy, es-ecially when you can-hotographa pastoral setting and with photoshop add a few more sheep,or a bird or whatever.
Guess I am old school, I prefer to take my time frame the picture before I take it, set the time and speed to get the best exposure I think is appropriate, and just do minor touch ups in the lab/software program.

Either way photography is fun, not just as a way to document an occurrence, but to capture a moment in time, a form of artwork, a way to say something.

Perhaps some photo challenges with each other....I.e. pick a subject, we shoot a pic or two of what we feel represents that subject...and critique (not criticize) each other’s work.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

firecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
Sounds good, photography and I have had a love affair going for about 55 years since I first bought a 620 aground insta click plasticcamera. I was around9 or 10...
With the ability to photograph and have the photo instantly, sometimes I think people have decided photography is easy, es-ecially when you can-hotographa pastoral setting and with photoshop add a few more sheep,or a bird or whatever.
Guess I am old school, I prefer to take my time frame the picture before I take it, set the time and speed to get the best exposure I think is appropriate, and just do minor touch ups in the lab/software program.

Either way photography is fun, not just as a way to document an occurrence, but to capture a moment in time, a form of artwork, a way to say something.

Perhaps some photo challenges with each other....I.e. pick a subject, we shoot a pic or two of what we feel represents that subject...and critique (not criticize) each other’s work.

Good idea Dean. My I been so bold as to suggest capturing your image of love. Whether it be a person place or thing. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

I’m so political etc... my first thought is Resistance”
Ok let’s pick one I don’t care just tell me and how about a couple weeks for deadline... ????
Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

One day i went out with just my macro. i’m used to seeing big landscapes... it was amazing! I stayed on the ground and saw a whole new world
Old 05-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
I’m so political etc... my first thought is Resistance”
Ok let’s pick one I don’t care just tell me and how about a couple weeks for deadline... ????
I like the resistance subject Dean....a good challenge. How about June 1st we post pics?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #16
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Quote:
One day i went out with just my macro. i’m used to seeing big landscapes... it was amazing! I stayed on the ground and saw a whole new world
I know what you mean dee....I only shoot macro since getting my lens. For me it means that I have a dialogue with my subject.