Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
JustLovelyJenn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
That's Need to Know

Thanked 13,995 Times in 3,685 Posts
JustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST ReputationJustLovelyJenn Has the BEST Reputation

Wow, I want to read this all. I am most diffidently going to be coming back and reading everything that is posted, but I am so tired tonight.

I am most certainly a musician, a vocalist and lyricist. I played clarinet years ago, and would love to pick it back up but have to find an instrument at a price I can afford. I also play the piano, well enough, but am by no means a great pianist, I taught myself. This year I bought myself a used guitar and am desperately trying to figure out how to make sounds that don't hurt my ears...

I would have to say my biggest influence is jazz. All though my current work comes out somewhere along the jazz/pop fusion stuff... with a little alternative thrown in for good measure. I love to sing jazz and gospel and spent years as a child teaching myself to "sing black". The voices of strong black women fascinated me and I wanted to sound like that.

I have always been at the wrong place at the wrong time to be able to work on any of my music at a professional or even semi professional lever; however, I am returning to school this next year to get my teaching certificate and plan on majoring in Special Education and minoring in Music. Hopefully that will bring more opportunity.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #22
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I'm past electronic rock except for the vocals, which i believe need a good mix. I'd like an new/old, wild, concept now with old/new wooden vintage instruments in larger groups. Sort of a mix of rock, country, and the old twenties jazz. On some magical nights though, I hear celestial music in the air, floating through the trees, and I copy and record the melodies on my flute and yamaha keyboard. I've had many a block too wildcat, but, when you least expect it, your heart song will return.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #23
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionaria View Post
While I do not sing or play an instrument, I do spoken voice work, and A LOT of Digital sound production / editing for radio. At the station we use Adobe Audition for production. It is a good program, fairly high learning curve, but that just comes with the territory. At home I use a freeware program called Audacity. I like that I can record ANYTHING from the internet and save it as an MP3 file. What I don't like about it is the volume controls are clumsy (editing) and non existent for recording. My favorite all time sound editing program was by Macromedia, called Deck 2. They sold the program to ????? But it was so intuitive and just made sense.

What I am looking for is a really good microphone, and a mixing board. I like the hands on of a mixing board. I used to use a Shure Microphone with a Bass roll off that I loved, but have not seen in years. I like a very warm sound, with a slightly exaggerated Bass pick up. My clarity and enunciation are present so I don't need to up the "crisp sound". LOL I love sound equipment, I really want a fabulous sound studio at home.......
A friend of mine and I recently re-connected and she does her radio show from home and sends the stations files.......long way from the days i was in radio and everything was analog. She and I had met in radio and to listen t o her talk about radio now amazing. Her show is syndicated now like Delilah.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #24
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
While I do not sing or play an instrument, I do spoken voice work, and A LOT of Digital sound production / editing for radio. At the station we use Adobe Audition for production. It is a good program, fairly high learning curve, but that just comes with the territory. At home I use a freeware program called Audacity. I like that I can record ANYTHING from the internet and save it as an MP3 file. What I don't like about it is the volume controls are clumsy (editing) and non existent for recording. My favorite all time sound editing program was by Macromedia, called Deck 2. They sold the program to ????? But it was so intuitive and just made sense.

What I am looking for is a really good microphone, and a mixing board. I like the hands on of a mixing board. I used to use a Shure Microphone with a Bass roll off that I loved, but have not seen in years. I like a very warm sound, with a slightly exaggerated Bass pick up. My clarity and enunciation are present so I don't need to up the "crisp sound". LOL I love sound equipment, I really want a fabulous sound studio at home.......
i bet you were using the sure sm7 - that's an awesome mic on a lot of vocals
it has a bass roll-off and a presence boost selection and get in close there's a sweet proximity effect not too crazy
it sounded surprisingly good on a guitar cab too
i've also used the electrovoice re20 - the fraiser mic
and i've tried a re27 - but it seems to have a slight bump in the presence 2k-4khz and a reduced proximity response comped to the re20

i've been told that a crisper sound is what you need for radio work - is that true?
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung View Post
i bet you were using the sure sm7 - that's an awesome mic on a lot of vocals
it has a bass roll-off and a presence boost selection and get in close there's a sweet proximity effect not too crazy
it sounded surprisingly good on a guitar cab too
i've also used the electrovoice re20 - the fraiser mic
and i've tried a re27 - but it seems to have a slight bump in the presence 2k-4khz and a reduced proximity response comped to the re20

i've been told that a crisper sound is what you need for radio work - is that true?
Yes! I do believe you are right on the Shure sm 7, thank you, I loved that mic. I am going to research the others you mentioned as well, much appreciated!

I think the sound you try for, has to do with what you are voicing. Or the sound of the station you work for. In news reporting yes definitely, the crisp sound adds authority and believability to a story. For DJing or public affairs, I prefer warm, accessible, and friendly with an edge of sultry. Fun stuff.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #26
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I think the sound you try for, has to do with what you are voicing. Or the sound of the station you work for. In news reporting yes definitely, the crisp sound adds authority and believability to a story. For DJing or public affairs, I prefer warm, accessible, and friendly with an edge of sultry. Fun stuff.

that makes perfect sense now that i think about it - dj's swim in that warm deep sound while ads and news spots are far more out front and on top and present

i also know an engineer who swears by the heil pr40. he wants to put that mic on everyone. he claims it is superior to the sm7 but i have yet to hear for myself. i would love to get my mitts on one and see what kind of magic it can do

have you considered large diaphragm condensers - they are usually very transparent but i can recommend

the rode nt1 - it has a really smooth sound and comes at a budget price. i've found quite a few of them lately at the pawn shops for about $100. it definitely doesn't sound like a budget mic and slightly off axis it darkens up quite nice
and actually the nt2 as well - it comes with selectable polar patterns and high pass filter but it costs a bit more

and

the neumann tlm103
this mic has sounded amazing on everything i've put it on
it's super quiet so even whispers can be captured with amazing clarity
and run it through an avalon pre - heaven
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #27
Stronghealer

How Do You Identify?:
Queer

Stronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST ReputationStronghealer Has the BEST Reputation
Default imac studio monitor speakers

Advice anyone?Good sound -not too expensive.

Stronghealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghealer View Post
Advice anyone?Good sound -not too expensive.

i'd like to throw out a recommendation for the m-audio av 40 2 way desktop reference monitors

- they have a small footprint but feel quite substantial (weight and construction wise)
- they are powered and do not require an additional power amp
- they have both 1/4" and rca line inputs
- they have a pretty flat frequency response
- my home studio mixes translated remarkable true in an acoustically treated studio on genelec 1038's (head and shoulders beyond the 8 and 10" jbl and mackie monitors that i've also mixed with)

the downside
- they roll off drastically at about 70Hz (there is a bass boost but it just bumps the 70Hz a couple dB's it doesn't extend the range)

of course this critique is dependent on my mixing space and results can be completely different in yours
The Following User Says Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post: