Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation
Default Music Talk

I had a thread like this on the other site. It wasn't too popular, but here goes.

So whatever you want to talk about re your favorite band, a show you just saw, a song that gets on your last nerve . . . whatever.

Open for business
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

OK, so I am on the PBS site tonight and saw that they had a few episodes of Austin City Limits that you can view. Just four. The episodes featured Cold Play, Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, and Radiohead. My reaction was could you name four more overrated groups? Could you contrive a more perfect list of overrated bands if you tried? Anyway, that's my music comment of the night. Not a very nice one.

The LA Weekly has a list of the "20 Worst Hipster Bands," and Arcade Fire and Bon Iver are both on it. So it's not just me.

Here's the whole list in case anyone is interested. When I saw the list originally, I listened again to a Decemberist record I have. No reconsideration for me. I can see that they think they are clever and that that can grate. But I enjoy them a lot.

20 The Black Keys
19 TV On The Radio
18 Sleigh Bells
17 fun.
16 MGMT
15 Death Cab For Cutie
14 Wavves
13 The Decemberists
12 Pomplamoose
11 Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
10 White Rabbits
09 Beach House
08 The Airborne Toxic Event
07 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
06 Beirut
05 Grizzly Bear
04 Bright Eyes
03 Arcade Fire
02 tUnE-yArDs
01 Bon Iver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

We were watching a George Carlin DVD the other night and he said something to the effect of white folks had no right to play the blues because it's not enough to know the chords, you have to know why you play them.

I thought that was pretty profound.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, so it's official...I'm a thread killer
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Dammit Words

All I will contribute right now is that I CANNOT listen to any Justin Beiber song.

I physically get sick.

It's kind of the way I feel about poodles. I'm not sure why, but I don't like them. At all. They make me angry.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Talking Music!

2013 is our Music year!!

We will be starting out the New Year with The Civil Wars, it's at a decent venue where we will not be standing and actually sitting and able to enjoy their sound!

I use to dislike Taylor Swift but lately she's grown on me, Beiber not so much I wanna put him in a bag and then a box.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

My heart remains with bands like Heart, Pat Benatar, Van Halen (sans Sammy Hagar) .... but I listen to just about everything from classical/opera to heavy metal and all in between.

Except for Beiber.

Beiber is a poodle to me.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Sorry, Words. I didn't see that people were posting. Wahoo. This was not a popular thread on the other site, so I thought it had faded fast.

So cool that it hasn't.

Laughed out loud at Bieber in a bag and then in a box.

I love Heart and Pat Benatar. And Taylor Swift has grown on me too. Her Kennedy obsession is kinda weird. I hope she likes the boy for more reasons than his last name.

There are a lot of genres -- not just blues -- that people not from that background make kind of sterile. The kind of bluegrass you hear on NPR is pretty as anything, but it lacks that grrrrr.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Some of us were talking about music in chat today . I like, or have liked, nearly every type except for misogynistic rap and heavy, heavy metal.

But then I "violate" my own rule and love Eminem's "Not Afraid".

And what defines "heavy metal"? My beloved Def Leppard? Aerosmith? Guns N' Roses? I think that's pretty subjective. I even like me some AC/DC.

I have also crushed on many of the entries in that European Song contest, which I've forgotten the name of again. I wish America would do something like that. Heck, maybe the world should do that!

I seem to be the only fan of Mazzy Star's, or even Midnight Oil. Everybody asks me, "Who?"

And this from a 70's disco duck who grew up on Gilbert & Sullivan, operas, and classical music-even if my introduction to those were from Bugs Bunny.

Music is my lifeblood.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I used to love Midnight Oil. Good band.

Re Mazzy's Star, . . . who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
Some of us were talking about music in chat today . I like, or have liked, nearly every type except for misogynistic rap and heavy, heavy metal.

But then I "violate" my own rule and love Eminem's "Not Afraid".

And what defines "heavy metal"? My beloved Def Leppard? Aerosmith? Guns N' Roses? I think that's pretty subjective. I even like me some AC/DC.

I have also crushed on many of the entries in that European Song contest, which I've forgotten the name of again. I wish America would do something like that. Heck, maybe the world should do that!

I seem to be the only fan of Mazzy Star's, or even Midnight Oil. Everybody asks me, "Who?"

And this from a 70's disco duck who grew up on Gilbert & Sullivan, operas, and classical music-even if my introduction to those were from Bugs Bunny.

Music is my lifeblood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I used to love Midnight Oil. Good band.

Re Mazzy's Star, . . . who?
Martina, that made me laugh (because I am incapable of making a smiley)

Mazzy Star is/was sort of an alternative duo. Some of their work might be a little weird to many. You might know them from this song:

Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Oh! I love music! I am up on all the cool pop because of my kid. I love Bieber! Taylor Swift is ok. I love Queen. Lately there are some songs that remind me of Freddie. Madness by Muse and What Do I Stand For by Fun. I also like Bruno Mars new song. It sounds like old Police and I also love that. Look up Son de la Frontera's Buleria Negra del Gastor. My kid called it "feet!" when she was little.

There is not a lot of music I do not like but sometimes I don't like the words.

Last edited by julieisafemme; 10-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Guihong,

I do remember the song. Pretty!

THANKS! I probably would not have heard that one again.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanks for the recommendations! I loved Freddie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
Oh! I love music! I am up on all the cool pop because of my kid. I love Bieber! Taylor Swift is ok. I love Queen. Lately there are some songs that remind me of Freddie. Madness by Muse and What Do I Stand For by Fun. I also like Bruno Mars new song. It sounds like old Police and I also love that. Look up Son de la Frontera's Diego. My kid called it "feet!" when she was little.

There is not a lot of music I do not like but sometimes I don't like the words.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The Voice ...loss and gain and some really good stuff.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Oh, and speaking of obscure...Leningrad Cowboys' cover of Dylan

You may have guessed I'm not much for most of modern pop, although I do like some of Taylor Swift's work.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I looked up Son de la Frontera. Didn't find any mention of Diego. Good stuff. I would love to see them live. I don't think I have ever heard Flamenco live.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

I am a big classic rock fan, but My tastes run all over the map...I recently was turned onto:

Poi Dog Pondering...

and

Big Head Todd & The Monsters...

one more worth mentioning...The Airborne Toxic Event...

Take a listen, I don't think you will be disappointed.

~Elijah

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

OMG!

I laughed LOUD. That chorus! The hair. And they rock too. I am still laughing. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
Oh, and speaking of obscure...Leningrad Cowboys' cover of Dylan

Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

I was totally addicted to that Big Head Todd song back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
I am a big classic rock fan, but My tastes run all over the map...I recently was turned onto: