Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Question The ButchFemmePlanet Kitchen

Many of us love to cook. It is not an activity relegated to one side or the other of our "kind."

This thread is where you can share recipes, ask cooking questions and more. Need to know how to crack an egg? Boil water? Prepare the perfect souffle`?

Gourmets and beginners alike can gather here to bond over food.

So come join me in the kitchen. What are you cooking today? What questions do you have? All are welcome so pull a stool up to the pass-through and let's chat.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
WIB - woman identified butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your choice...not really a button for me
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Thanked 6,840 Times in 1,621 Posts
Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

yay...I'm here and I have my pen and paper ready....to write down all the ideas (even I know cooking is done with food and shouldn't have pen and paper as ingredients)
Mel C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Mel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST ReputationMel C. Has the BEST Reputation

Oh yeah, I have a terrible time trying to get my iron level up. I have tried a variety of supplements, but they don't seem to be helping. If anyone has ideas for iron-rich foods that could become a regular meal, please share. Meg keeps threatening to make liver (which is ok, but I'm interested in a recipe that doesn't taste like dirty blood)
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Ummmm i love to eat, im not a very good chef but i am an adventurous eater, so im stopping by to say im def gonna stalk this thread lol
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pasta with White Sauce

Qrt. of heavy whipping cream
1 can of artichokes
1 bag of sundried tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
Hand full of freshly grated parmesan
Olive Oil

In a large skillet:

Saute chopped garlic in olive oil until soft but not browned
Add heavy whipping cream with Parmesan, stirring constantly until thick
Add 1 can of non-marinated artichokes quartered.
Add pre-soaked sundried tomatoes

Simmer on low about 15 minutes.
Use kosher salt and pepper to taste

Serve on multi-grain Penne (recommended)
or your favorite pasta.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Martha's Popovers

This is an easy, schmeezy recipe. But one DOES need a popover tin in which to bake these. The recipe makes 6.

Preheat oven to 425.

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 scant tsp. salt
3 lg. eggs

Generously butter a 6-cup popover tin, set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir flour, milk & salt. Add eggs, 1 at a time, & stir to combine. Small lumps may remain. Do not overmix.

Using a 1/2 cup measure, gently pour batter into center of each prepared popover cup.

Bake for 20 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 20 more minutes.
Immediately invert pan to remove and serve hot.

Enjoy!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

I saw Ms Diva mention popovers elsewhere....I don't know what a popover is...I'm thinking maybe it's like a turnover?????? but what is a popover cup? Is it like a muffin cup?

Last edited by Mel C.; 11-05-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Can you tell I love to bake? <smile>

Almond Pound Cake

Cake:
1 8-oz. can almond paste (not marzipan)
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp each almond & vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salk
6 lg. eggs
1 c. sour cream
3 c. all-purpose flour

Glaze:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 T. sour cream
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp water

Preheat oven to 325.
You'll need a 10" tube pan with a removable bottom, coated with Pam.

Grate almond paste on large-hold side of a box grater into a lg. bowl. Add butter, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, extracts and salt. Beat with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in sour cream. With mixer on low, beat in flour just until blended.

Scrape batter into pan and smooth out the top. Tap pan on counter to remove any air pockets. Bake 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Cut around tube & sides of cake with a thin knife & invert cake onto rack. Remove sides and bottom and cool on rack completely.

Whisk all ingredients of the glaze until smooth. Spoon glaze over cake. Sprinkle sliced almonds over cake....and if You want it sparkly, edible white glitter, too. Garnish with mint sprigs.

YUMMIE!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel (aka BlistexLez) View Post
I saw Ms Diva mention popovers elsewhere....I don't know what a popover is...I'm thinking maybe it's like a turnover?????? but what is a popover cup? Is it like a muffin cup?

Not quite, Mel.....it's a quirky~looking pan. Here's a > > LINKY LOO < <

And when it rises, it literally "pops over" the top.....it's a pretty roll, to be sure. And there are all kinds of variations of this recipe. But this is the one I use for a meal.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for sour dough? W/we have one recipe but it calls for adding a cup of flour and half a cup of water per day, which to me, seems rather a lot (I have visions of going in the kitchen and finding this great big dough monster coming at me like something out of a Hitchcock movie).

Anyone?
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #11
Lady Jewel

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Lady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST Reputation
Default For Mel

Leafy green vegetables are a great source of iron. I.E. Spinach and any dark leaf lettuce.

Hope this helps,
Jewel

Quote:
Oh yeah, I have a terrible time trying to get my iron level up. I have tried a variety of supplements, but they don't seem to be helping. If anyone has ideas for iron-rich foods that could become a regular meal, please share. Meg keeps threatening to make liver (which is ok, but I'm interested in a recipe that doesn't taste like dirty blood)
Lady Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Lady Jewel

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Lady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST ReputationLady Jewel Has the BEST Reputation
Default Diabetic Desserts

Does anyone have any good sugar free dessert recipes that do NOT require the use of Splenda??

Jewel
Lady Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jewel View Post
Does anyone have any good sugar free dessert recipes that do NOT require the use of Splenda??

Jewel
Fruit cobbler?
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Mel, red meat in general, especially if you pair it with something acidic, is iron-rich. For example, steak marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and then BBQ'd has more available iron that steak broiled... but if you drink something acidic with your meal, you get the same effect.

Also, when you have spinach, try it with lemon juice (like in spanakopita) for the same enhanced availabilty. Lentils are also high in iron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for sour dough? W/we have one recipe but it calls for adding a cup of flour and half a cup of water per day, which to me, seems rather a lot (I have visions of going in the kitchen and finding this great big dough monster coming at me like something out of a Hitchcock movie).

Anyone?
Here's a page of recipes from King Arthur Flour for you, Words; they're usually very reliable. It has two starter recipes, I think.

http://search.kingarthurflour.com/se...=1000014&Nty=1
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #15
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

HAHAHAHAHA!

I forgot to subscribe to this thread. Yes, I'm a doofus.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Default Three of Swords Heartbreakin’ Avocado Dip

This recipe has a history...much like many of us. If you want to read the whole thing, head over to my blog at http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/?p=1967 I do a series over there of recipes that I associate with various Tarot cards.

• Three of Swords Heartbreakin’ Avocado Dip
3-4 Avocados, ripe
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes, original recipe, drained with the juice reserved
2-3 TBS lime juice (can substitute lemon if you must)
Tony Cachere’s Cajun Seasoning, to taste
Tabasco, to taste

Cut those avocados in half. There is a large pit in the center. Just cut to that seed and then circle the knife around it as you cut the fruit in half. Actually, technically speaking, the avocado is a berry. Once you have two halves, you can try to gently squeeze the side with the pit. Often it will pop out. You can throw it away or use it to grow a pretty green foilage for your kitchen. To do that, stick toothpicks in it and set it so half is in water. It will sprout for you.

Now take a spoon and scoop all that creamy green goodness into a mixing bowl. Make sure you get it all. Do this for all your avocados. And yes, I want to argue that this is a vegetable and not a fruit or a berry. LOL

Now mash it all up good with a fork. Or, if you prefer, you can use a hand mixer to beat the avocado into submission. Whee ha!

Once you have the creamy green base, dump in the tomatoes. I mean–gently fold in the tomatoes. Aww, the heck with that. Dump those puppies in and stir. I would add about half the juice of the can and the lime juice at this point too. I like my dip a bit juicy so I use the whole can but I’ll let you make that decision for yourself.

Once that is all stirred together (or beaten by the beaters), start adding the Tony’s. I don’t know what you call it, but in my house, it was just “the Tony’s”. You will want to taste as you go. Once it is salty, then stop! Now add in a healthy amount of Tabasco sauce. No, you can not substitute. Ewww! I’m a Louisiana girl and you do not want to use Louisiana Hot Sauce here or any other hot sauce. You want the red-hot flame of Tabasco. Okay so you can’t do red-hot. Just add a drop or two. Trust me. If you use another hot sauce, it will not be the same.

Okay so it might be good, but it won’t be the same. LOL

Once it tastes “right” to you, cover it with saran wrap. Now here’s a trick my ex taught me that has never failed me. When you put the saran wrap on, make sure it touches the dip. I mean pat it down so it is in contact. Air will brown your dip and trust me… you think people are hesitant about eating green stuff? Try them with green stuff that has a brown crust. Oh yeah…no yum!

Now for the hardest part of all. Put it in the fridge. Leave it there for at least two hours to get nice and cold. If you are like me, a spoonful or two will land in a bowl before the whole thing ever finds the refrigerator.

When you are ready to serve, I prefer flour tortilla chips over corn. In case you were going to invite me over to share…
Old 11-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:

Jewel
Would stevia be an okay sweetener or do you want no sweetener at all?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!

I forgot to subscribe to this thread. Yes, I'm a doofus.
THAT is why I love the "auto subscribe" setting..If I post to a thread, it's worth subscribing. I can always unsubscribe later
Old 11-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #19
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
THAT is why I love the "auto subscribe" setting..If I post to a thread, it's worth subscribing. I can always unsubscribe later
I set mine to auto after I'd started a thread or two. Hee.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #20
Mel C.
Long-time Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
♡ married 1/1/2019♡

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Not quite, Mel.....] < <
Thanks so much for the link...I'da made a mess outta the cupcake pan
Quote:
Leafy green vegetables are a great source of iron. I.E. Spinach and any dark leaf lettuce.

Hope this helps,
Jewel
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm trying to add the green leafy stuff, but don't really have ideas other than salad salad salad. I LOVE salads but usually have more toppings (cheese, egg, garbanzo beans, beets, etc) than leafy stuff lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Mel, red meat in general, especially if you pair it with something acidic, is iron-rich. For example, steak marinated in balsamic vinaigrette and then BBQ'd has more available iron that steak broiled... but if you drink something acidic with your meal, you get the same effect.

Also, when you have spinach, try it with lemon juice (like in spanakopita) for the same enhanced availabilty. Lentils are also high in iron.
Thank you so much Bitty Bit....

*points honey to alllll these helpful hints so she can remind me what we learned today*

Tags
beginner, cooking, gourmet, kitchen, recipes