Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #21
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Iron-rich food

FOUND ONLINE. Have not tried.

Spinach with Chickpeas

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sp...chickpeas.html
From EatingWell: March/April 2007 Enjoy this vegetable-rich nibble as they do in Spain, spooned onto small rounds of fresh or lightly toasted bread.
12 servings, about 1/2 cup each | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients

• 2 pounds baby spinach
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
Preparation

1. Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
  2. Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
Nutrition

Per serving : 120 Calories; 4 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 19 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 260 mg Sodium; 67 mg Potassium
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Tips & Notes

• Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature or reheat on medium-low heat before serving.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #22
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for sour dough? W/we have one recipe but it calls for adding a cup of flour and half a cup of water per day, which to me, seems rather a lot (I have visions of going in the kitchen and finding this great big dough monster coming at me like something out of a Hitchcock movie).

Anyone?

Back in the day when I was a stay~at~home Mom, I made bread all the time.....sour dough was one of them. What I did was to take out a portion of the starter, add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 water....so the measurements You mentioned for flour was more than I used. (I found my old recipe for starter, etc.) And You stir it down, too, so that it "collapses" and doesn't take over a la Hitchcock movie!

I hope that helped.....happy baking! You're making me want to bake bread again!!!

~Diva

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #23
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Texas Sheet Cake

This is a GREAT recipe ~ great for a good number of people and VERY easy! I can't tell You how many times I've made this cake and it is requested often.....You cannot miss with this one! And if You love chocolate, You'll be in heaven!

CAKE:
1 stick butter
1/2 c. Wesson oil (or something like that)
4 T. cocoa
1 C. water
2 C. sugar
2 C. sifted flour
1/2 C. buttermilk (if You're not a b'milk fan, You can make Your own with 1/2 c of milk with a capfull of vinegar....really!)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven 375.
Put butter, oil, cocoa & water in a saucepan & bring to a rapid boil. Combine flour & sugar in a mixing bowl & pour hot mix over this. Blend remaining ingredients well & add to previous mixture. Blend & pour in a large greased 11x16" jelly roll pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Test for doneness. Prepare icing the last 5 minutes of baking time.

ICING:
1 stick butter
4 T cocoa
6 T milk
1 box powdered sugar
1 C. coarsely chopped pecans

Mix butter, cocoa and milk in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add powdered sugar and stir well. Spread hot icing on hot cake as it comes from the oven. Spread to the edges quickly before it hardens. Sprinkle nuts over the top.

YUM!
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #24
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
This is a GREAT recipe ~ great for a good number of people and VERY easy! I can't tell You how many times I've made this cake and it is requested often.....You cannot miss with this one! And if You love chocolate, You'll be in heaven!
Diva is rightfully famous for this dessert. You must try it. But do not make it for others. They will just want it again!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #25
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums
Default KEY LIME BARS (Diabetic approved)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jewel View Post
Does anyone have any good sugar free dessert recipes that do NOT require the use of Splenda??

Jewel

Lady J....
I nanny/chef for a family with a diabetic child. This recipe is a hit. It is from my Betty Crocker Diabetic Cookbook.....It doesn't SEEM like it should be in there! lol

Key Lime Bars (1 carbohydrate choice; food exchanges: 1/2 starch; 1/2 fruit; 1 fat)

1 1/2 C. graham cracker crumbs
1/3 C. margarine, melted
3 T sugar
1 pkg (8 oz) softened cream cheese
1 can (14 oz) sweetened conensed milk
1/4 C Key Lime Juice or reg. lime juice
1 T lime zest

Heat oven to 350.
Grease bottom and sides of square pan (9x9x2) with Pam. Mix cracker crumbs, margarine & sugar thoroughly with fork. Press evenly in pan. Rerigerate while preparing cream chees mixture.

Beat cream cheese in small bowl on medium speed until light & fluffy. Gradually beat in milk until smooth. Beat in lime juice & lime zest. Spread over layer in pan.

Bake about 35 minutes or until center is set. Cool 30 minutes. Cover loosely & refrigerate at least 3 hours until chilled. Cut into bars and garnish with additional lime peel. Store covered in frig.

They are YUM!

The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #26
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

I will definately be visiting here more often for ideas and recipes
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #27
IrishGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Leatherdyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
In a relationship/non-monogamous

Thanked 1,209 Times in 366 Posts
IrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST ReputationIrishGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Jack,

Is this some kind of survival food? Cuz it sounds nasty. LOL
IrishGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #28
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,160 Times in 3,633 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have nothing to offer, as I do not cook... Perhaps this topic will offer me the incentive (imagine that) to want to cook. The last recipe I followed (to the note), was for a chocolate cake with coffee - it asked for a cup of coffee, and that is what it got. A cup of coffee grounds.

Studied at the culinary and still I do not cook. Entering my mid-life stage, so perhaps a new day is upon us. Maybe I just need a new stove (perk).

I will be subscribing to this thread... Hopefully will have a recipe I have tried from you to report.

Julie
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #29
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishGrrl View Post
Jack,

Is this some kind of survival food? Cuz it sounds nasty. LOL

"How to Eat HardtackNow that you know how to make hardtack you will need to learn how to eat it! Because it tends to be much too hard to chew when dry (hence the nicknames related to broken jaw parts), hardtack is typically pre-soaked in coffee, crumbled into soups and stews, or fried with bacon and eggs or whatever else was on the menu."
SOURCE: http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...make-hardtack/

Yes, IrishGrrl, you got it in one. It was used by soldiers and sailors alike as a way to get grains that would keep for a long time. Otherwise the flour would go bad (or worse, get bugs.) Definitely a survivalist food.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #30
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Default 10 of Pentacles Pulled Pork

Here's a super-simple, guaranteed crowd-pleasing recipe that I have taken to office potlucks.

10 of Pentacles Pulled Pork

6 lb pork roast
2 onions, sliced, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 TBS chopped Garlic
10 of Pentacles (World Spirit Tarot)

10 of Pentacles (World Spirit Tarot)

1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 C honey
1 C water
2 16 oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

Slice up the two onions nice and thin. Spread one of them on the bottom of the crock pot. Put the pork roast in (I usually go for a shoulder roast) with the fat side up. This way the fat will run down and make your meat nice and tender.

Pour in vinegar and water. Then pour the honey over the top of the roast. Add the chopped garlic to the top of the roast. Put the other onion on top of the roast. You can add salt and pepper here if you like. I don’t.

Put the lid on the crockpot and turn it on low. For a 6 lb piece of meat, you want
10 of Pentacles (Sacred Rose Tarot)

10 of Pentacles (Sacred Rose Tarot)

to cook it at least 10-12 hours. This is reminiscent of the work you do to get to the 10 of Pentacles point in your life. You have to wait for the goodness that is pulled pork!

When the time is done, turn the heat off and walk away for at least an hour. This is for two reasons. One, you want it to cool a bit. Two, by letting it sit, you are letting the juice go back into the meat and it will be better for it.

Scrape the onions on the top to the side. Then pull the fat layer off and lay it to the side. If you have dogs or cats, they can have a SMALL piece each. I’m talking a 1-2″ square max unless you really really like a sick pet that you have to clean up after. EWWW ARWEN! This is a recipe for Gods’ sake. Sorry, but that had to be said.

slow_cookers_bbq_pulled_porkNow take two forks and start pulling. If you have never done this, you will get a kick out of how easy this is! Make sure you pull the bones out and throw them away (or save them to make a soup stock with since the marrow will be heavenly at this point.)

Once the meat is shredded, depending on your time, you can add the BBQ sauce. Then you want to turn that slow cooker back on low for another 4-6 hours. This will let that sauce soak in so deep. Mmmm!

Serve with hamburger buns, coleslaw and extra napkins!

ENJOY!

Full post at http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/?p=1824
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #31
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums
Default Another tried & true diabetic dessert recipe

Very Berry Frozen Yogurt

2 c. strawberries or raspberries (both are good)
1/3 c. sugar
4 c. vanilla low~fat yogurt

1. Mash berries with sugar in large bowl. Stir in yogurt.

2. Pour into 2-quart ice-cream freezer. Freez according to manufacturer's directions. Great in an ice cream cone!

1 1/2 carbohydrate choice; Food exchange: 1 fruit; 1/2 skim milk

Old 11-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #32
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation
Post Scorp's Ginzo Recipes

Well, this sicilian loves to cook. So here's a few of my family secret recipes. So folks you want to impress that special someone, then here's a definite way to their heart

I never measure ingredients, but here are approximate measurements.

Scorp's Sauce: (yeah I call it sauce, not gravy)

1 large can of crushed tomatoes (kitchen ready style)
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 of small onion diced
2 or 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 or 3 garlic cloves diced
3 Tablespoons parsley
3 Tablespoons basil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon pepper

In large saucepan add olive oil.

Sautee' onion and garlic on low heat until translucent (DO NOT BURN).

Next, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add 1 can of water to each equivalent can and pour in.

Add parsley, basil, salt and pepper.

Be sure to turn the heat down to low, so it simmers for no more than an hour or an hour and half and stir often.

================================================== =========

Scorp's Meatballs:

Ground Hamburg
1 egg
1/4 cup (FRESH) grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
3 Tablespoons basil
3 Tablespoons parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Tablespoon pepper

Mix all of the above together. If it's too moist, add a little more breadcrumb.

Roll into balls and you can either fry these in olive oil until golden brown (and then toss into the sauce) or just toss them right into the sauce and let them cook in there. Either way, they're awesome. Cook on medium heat for about an hour and a half. Lower the heat after a 1/2 hour or so. Stir often.

================================================== =====

Scorp's Lasagna:

1 box of lasagna noodles (the kind you boil)
2 Tablespoons of oil (add to lasagna noodles so they don’t stick together)
1 LARGE tub of Ricotta
Large pkg of Mozarella (skim is fine to use too)

Ricotta Mixture:
1 whole egg
3 Tablespoons (FRESH) grated parmesan cheese
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
2 Tablespoons (fresh) basil (minced)
2 Tablespoons (fresh) Italian parsley (minced)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Tablespoon pepper

Boil and drain the lasagna noodles. Handle them with care as they can fall apart easily. Be sure all the water is drained and they aren’t as wet.

Layer lasagna pan with sauce <not too much, but just enough so the noodles will cover it.

After layering noodles, Put big globs of the ricotta mixture on each noodle and spread evenly.

Next put some sauce over each noodle with the ricotta mixture about (2 Tablespoons) and spread over the noodles. Also spread some mozzarella over each noodle and continue layering.

Cover the last ricotta layer with the lasagna noodles and cover with heaping spoons of sauce. Top it off with more mozzarella over the lasagna and grate some parmasean.

You can refrigerate the pan of lasagna until you’re ready to cook it in the oven.

Cook at 350 degrees until mozzarella cheese is golden and bubbly.
=================================================
Garlic Bread:

1 loaf of Italian or French bread
Garlic cloves
Salt
Pepper
Butter
Parmesean
Parsley (fresh or flakes)

Slice the bread down the middle so you end up with 2 halves

Crush garlic so it becomes like a paste (make sure you crush enough so enough is spread on the halves

Room temperature butter <for spreading> Mix into garlic paste

Add minced parsely (2 Tablespoons), some salt and pepper Mix the garlic paste, and rest of ingredients together and spread over the halves of bread

Sprinkle parmesan over everything

Bake at 300 degrees until bread becomes golden (MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BREAD AS IT CAN BURN)

These are a definite crowd pleaser. No one will be disappointed...
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #33
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm salivating reading this thread
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #34
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

I know, right! I can't wait to try Your meatball recipe!! Sounds lovely!

~Diva
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #35
Blue

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Married

Blue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST ReputationBlue Has the BEST Reputation

It's officially Autumn...cloudy, cold, windy and rainclouds coming off the Channel; just the sort of weather calling for.....

Blue's Chili

1kg. Minced Beef
1 Minced Onion
1 Chopped Red Bell Pepper
3 Minced Garlic Cloves
1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
3 Cans Red Beans
1 Can Corn
3 Cans Chopped Tomatos
1/2 Cup Tomato Puree
1 tsp Hot Sauce (your choice)
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Oregano
2 Beef Bullion Cubes
1 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil

In a dutch oven brown the beef mince, drain and set aside.

Add oil to the dutch oven and put on medium heat. Saute onions, bell pepper, garlic and celery. Lower heat to simmer and add red beans, corn, chopped tomatos and tomato puree to the pot and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.

Add browned beef, hot sauce, sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, black pepper, oregano, beef bullion cubes and Worchestershire sauce to the pot and allow to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.

Garnish with spring onions, cheddar cheese and a dollup soured cream (optional). Serve with either corn bread or a rustic loaf.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #36
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

I hope you like my meatballs Diva!! LOL....

Quote:
I know, right! I can't wait to try Your meatball recipe!! Sounds lovely!

~Diva
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #37
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
I hope you like my meatballs Diva!! LOL....

OH!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #38
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Hehahaha! I'm still waiting for a devil smiley in this joint!

Quote:
OH!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #39
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm salivating reading this thread
You're not alone. reading all these recipes has made me hungry and I didn't even know I was
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #40
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Heh Wolfy, that's always the way. So here ya go, many recipes to choose from to try out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
You're not alone. reading all these recipes has made me hungry and I didn't even know I was

Tags
beginner, cooking, gourmet, kitchen, recipes