Old 10-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #2041
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

currently readin' "plan a, plan b, pan c" and "the straw hat".
Old 10-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #2042
ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

I will definitely read the first book. Commodification of family development is very rarely spoken about. Thanks for the suggestion. Might be interesting for me to use in some of my human behavior and development classes. Looking it up on my kindle now.
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #2043
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmepacker View Post
I will definitely read the first book. Commodification of family development is very rarely spoken about. Thanks for the suggestion. Might be interesting for me to use in some of my human behavior and development classes. Looking it up on my kindle now.

Let me know what you think. Children as commodities is not a new concept. We have been doing it in both foreign and domestic adoptions, genetic engineering and in utero modification, sex selective abortions, child sex trafficking, etc.

Is disconcerting to see human beings as an industry to be exploited for significant financial gain. Not surprising, just disconcerting.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #2044
ClassyStud

How Do You Identify?:
Stud
Preferred Pronoun?:
Neither
Relationship Status:
Single

ClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST ReputationClassyStud Has the BEST Reputation
Default Under the Overpass

Current Primary Read. I usually have a few books going at one time. I am agnostic but keep my mind open to all religions. This is a good book about homelessness.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #2045
Daktari

The Secret History, Donna Tartt

Never read Tartt before, picked this one up on kindle because of an piece in the Observer today on the top ten long reads. Her newest one is on order.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #2046
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I just got...(and am only glancing through atm)

No Impact Man:The adventures of a guilty liberal who attempts to save the planet and the discoveries he makes about himself and our way of life in the process.

By Colin Beavan

And that is the entire title!

Colin Beavan is No Impact Man. Dismayed, worried, and angered at worsening global climate conditions, and sorely confused and frustrated about what one individual can do to alleviate—or reverse—such threatening trends, Beavan decided to do something. His choice: to lead a life of no impact for one year. That is, in everyday living his goal was to create no negative impact on the environment. In New York City. And he dragged his Starbucks-addicted wife, one year-old daughter, and trusty dog along for the ride. A no impact transition meant no transportation use that required the power of fossil fuels (subways, taxis, planes, elevators), no takeout food (wasteful containers), no bottled water, no new purchases, no use of disposable items (like razors), and eventually, no electricity. Big things (travel) and little things (cooking) and private things (hygiene) and everything in-between fell into this phased-in project.

Along the way, Beavan blogged about his trials. His book, No Impact Man (Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2009), made of recycled paper and produced by a plant powered by biogas, tells the tale—at turns comical, revealing, and emotional—of a family at first hesitant, then fully embracing of this project. It is also peppered with startling, eyebrow-raising statistics on global manufacturing, consumption patterns, and waste production. (The documentary on the project is out now too).
Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #2047
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up really enjoying it

The Interestings: A Novel

Amazon: An Amazon Best Book of the Month, April 2013: This knowing, generous and slyly sly new novel follows a group of teenagers who meet at a summer camp for artsy teens in 1974 and survive as friends through the competitions and realities of growing up. At its heart is Jules (nee Julie, she changes it that first summer to seem more sophisticated) Jacobson, an aspiring comic actress who comes to realize she’s got more creative temperament than talent; her almost boyfriend Ethan Figman, the true genius in the bunch (he’s a cartoonist); musician Jonah Bay, son of a famous Baez-ish folksinger; and the Wolf siblings, Ash and Goodman, attractive and mysterious. How these five circle each other, come together and break apart, makes for plenty of hilarious scenes and plenty of heartbreaking ones, too. A compelling coming of age story about five privileged kids, this is also a pitch-perfect tale about a particular generation and the era that spawned it. --Sara Nelson
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #2048
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

Last night I finished "To Kill A Mockingbird" and started "Orange Is The New Black" Just as I enjoy a variety of music, anywhere from Bee Gees to Three doors down to Lionel Richie to Linkin Park, I have been enjoying a variety of very different books

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #2049
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Just to briefly share, tonight:

I have no idea what's up with me lately, but I did not finish the last two books I attempted to read: "Bride of Lammermoor" or Alice Arden's, "She Took To The Woods." I did not enjoy either book.

But I forgot that I subscribed to a reader's list, a "Tip Sheet", supplied to me by: Publisher's Weekly.
I have been browsing reading materials found on two different lists and thought I would leave links for them tonight, in case anyone else might see something interesting to read.

Link no. 1 ~>>> The Big Indie Books of Fall 2013

Link no. 2 ~>>> The 20 Best Books in Translation You've Never Read

On either link above, a person can find tabs for: News, Authors, Reviews, Best Sellers, International, Opinion, and other items that might be interesting to learn more about.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #2050
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

UGH! My reading is in a slump this past week!

Finished a rather boring Kaplan LSAT book.

Finished "Dr. Sleep" by Stephen King. It was entertaining but "thin" in places.

Finished "The Souls of Black Folk" by W.E.B. Du Bois. Heavy. Beautiful.

I just cracked "We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency" by Parmy Olson.

Also have this one going: "Top Secret America: The Rise of the New American Security State" by Dana Priest
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #2051
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

James Lee Burke, Creole Belle

Timothy Ferris, Seeing in the Dark: How Amateur Astronomers are Discovering the Wonders of the Universe
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #2052
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Intertwined Lives: Margaret Mead, Ruth Benedict and Their Circle - Lois W. Banner
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #2053
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I've just started "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/And-Mountains-Echoed-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/159463176X"]And the Mountains Echoed[/ame]" by Kahled Hosseini

As with his other books this is an engaging read, from the get-go.

snip/

An unforgettable novel about finding a lost piece of yourself in someone else.

Khaled Hosseini, the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations. In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #2054
Shay McGee

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
open

1 Highscore

Shay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading This Is How We Grow By Dr. Christina Hibbert
Shay McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2055
Cronopia

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Cronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST ReputationCronopia Has the BEST Reputation

Going Solo: The Extraordinary Rise and Surprising Appeal of Living Alone By Eric Klinenberg

This is a good read if you live alone if you don't you might fantasize about after.
Cronopia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cronopia For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #2056
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

So some of you know I changed some of my book habits and have been buying some books used. All my life I've been very snobbish about buying only NEW books. Then I switched to Kindle, so now aside from my approx. thousand books laying around the house and in shelves and piles.. I now have roughly a thousand books on my three different kindles. However, there are some books I refuse to buy on kindle. Art books, childrens books, poetry books (except for Rumi), and cook books, well, also books I might need to carry around with me for some reason or another. Anyways, I got an email from the company I buy my books from, and I'm sharing it.

Hi Ronnie,

We're just checking in to see if you received your order!

Your order number 12537669 included:

The Traveler

The Good Thief: A Novel

Coping with Lymphedema

So Recently Rent a World: New and Selected Poems

If your order hasn't blessed your mailbox just yet, heads are gonna roll in the Mishawaka warehouse! Seriously though, if you haven't received your order or are less than 108.8% satisfied, please be sure to let us know by submitting a ticket. Let us know what we can do to flabbergast you with service.

If you've really got some gumption, there's one other thing you can do to help. Become our fan on Facebook by clicking this link. It's the easiest way to let your friends know that you're part of our movement to fund literacy by buying books. You might also enjoy reading our blog.

Humbly Yours,

Better World Books

Fund literacy, care for the environment, and get a fair price on the books you want.
Better World Books (http://www.BetterWorldBooks.com )
Old 10-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #2057
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand LOVED it!!! If you haven't read by all means please do...

I just picked up (finally) A Train In Winter by Caroline Moorehead, I have been looking for this book for sometime now and finally found it in paperback form.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #2058
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Occupy Religion: Theology of the Multitude - Joerg Rieger and Kwok Pui-lan

"Occupy religion aims to demystify and debunk religious doctrines and social teachings that provide both religious sanction and justification for economic and social inequality. It critiques religions institutions and structures that silence, discriminate, and marginalize people because of class, race, gender and sexuality, and thus hand the power to the 1 percent. Occupy religion calls religious communities to account and asks them to engage critically in transforming the world to make it just for all and sustainable for the environment."
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #2059
Cailin

How Do You Identify?:
Female.. and it's pronounced "cah-leen", not cay-lin
Preferred Pronoun?:
You
Relationship Status:
In one

Thanked 2,630 Times in 739 Posts
Cailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST ReputationCailin Has the BEST Reputation

Update: Finally finished Memoirs of a Geisha. Took long enough. The movie was awesome, but like all its predecessors, the book is far better.

Currently attempted to read :Tell no one:. And....... I'm bored. But I'll see where it goes.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2060
Shay McGee

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
open

1 Highscore

Shay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST ReputationShay McGee Has the BEST Reputation

Jesse James American Outlaw
Shay McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading