Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #181
Enigma

How Do You Identify?:
~ & ~
Relationship Status:
Enchanted

Enigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST ReputationEnigma Has the BEST Reputation

D. H. Lawrence and the Body Mystical
by Frederick Carter

at this moment... this passage:

"...mysticism is the means through which man seeks within himself the secret springs of life that are common to all things alive, existing in the greatest as in the least. It seeks, too, the very extent of life, finding a kinship and the stirrings of a mutual state of being in unsuspected places. Contemplative, the mind withdraws from too close contact, the better to envisage the rushing stream of existence..."
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enigma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #182
Venus007

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Serene Highness ;}
Relationship Status:
Dreamily contemplating some outrage against conventional morality

Thanked 4,767 Times in 1,144 Posts
Venus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST ReputationVenus007 Has the BEST Reputation

The Children of Hurin
By JRR Tolkien as compiled and edited by Christopher Tolkien

"So you'll die happily for your sins. You'd rather die in guilt then live in love?" Timothy Leary
Venus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venus007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #183
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. i think she lives in Ann Arbor. Pretty engrossing. Vampires and research in old archives.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #184
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Smile What are you reading?

For study, I'm reading Taoist yoga: Alchemy and Immortality by Lu K'uan Yu and Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. by Eva Wong. For fun, I'm listening to Off Season by Ann Rivers Siddon and reading Digging to America by Anne Tyler. All highly recommended!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #185
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I'm still slogging through The Elegant Universe. I want to get through that before I start others. I am also going through some manuals/PDFs for work as well in preparation for a new course.

No fiction or other books for the time being.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #186
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #187
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,003 Times in 9,945 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #188
rawk

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
engaged

rawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond reputerawk has a reputation beyond repute

Severed book about the Black Dahlia murder.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #189
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached ❤️

Thanked 32,003 Times in 9,945 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.
I bet I would like this book (story) a lot!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #190
waxnrope
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 5/27/2011
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy ho, hy ho; he, she, it, whatever
Relationship Status:
Going slow ...

Thanked 2,958 Times in 953 Posts
waxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputationwaxnrope Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance by Helen LaKelly Hunt.
There's a reason that I read this, that is not a topic for this thread. However, there is an introduction by Gloria Steinem. The usual proclamations of universality, which caused grief for second wave feminist, such as Steinem, continues in bits of this book ~ and that creates some angst for me. Otherwise, it is early on so far in the reading, it is informative and challenging at times.
waxnrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waxnrope For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #191
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Re: Flatland and other books

Flatland has a sequel, though I cannot remember the name of it. I don't believe that the sequel was written by the same author, since it was written many years after Flatland. I'll try to find out the name of it. I have my very own personal librarianat the Library of Congress in Charleston.
I have added a book to my studies: Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. Eva Wong. This is really helping me understand the Taoist Yoga trans. Lu K'uam Yu.

My thanks to everyone who responds to this thread. As a longtime addict to bookdust, I'm always curious to know what others are reading.

I am writing again these days. You can find my poems in the POETRY section of the forums. I am writing a book by way of a blog called THE NAMELESS GATE. This is a series of reflections started by words of different authors. You can find it at URL:
http:/thenamelessgate-returntothewuchi.blogspot.com
Comments, both on the poems and the blog entries, will be much appreciated!
Namaste!
Lady_Wu
Old 06-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #192
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Red face Re: OOPS!

I'd already said I was reading Holding Yin, Embracing Yang! My apologies for the repetition. I blame on my poor short-term memory!
Lady_Wu
Old 06-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #193
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
by: Barbara Kingsolver

So far, not just a journal-esque style account of one family's change, but stuffed full of interesting facts about resources on Earth. I'm loving it, because it's easier to digest and more down-to-Earth than The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

Bon Appétit
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #194
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

Right now I have a few books going (which is the norm.. I read whichever one jumps out at Me at any given time)

My niece and nephew talked Me into going through the Harry Potter series. I liked all of the movies and did think I would like the books. I was wrong. I am just now finishing the 3rd. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I am also reading Awearness by Kenneth Cole. A wonderful book on famous and not famous people who do all sorts of volunteer work and giving back to the World and Earth. Very Inspiring. I highly recommend it.

Also, Gore Vidal: A Biography by Fred Kaplan.

Finally - The Code: 10 Intentions for a Better World (Use the Laws of Manifestation to Achieve Your Highest Good) by Tony Burroughs. I highly, highly recommend this book... this is the second perusal I have done with it.

In this book the 10 Intentions for a Better World are:

1. Support Life

2. Seek Truth

3. Set Your Course

4. Simplify

5. Stay Positive

6. Synchronize

7. Serve Others

8. Shine Your Light

9. Share Your Vision

10. Synergize

A great read. nods.

Last edited by JakeTulane; 06-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #195
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance. ~ Noam Chomsky

For the second time, as I wait for my new books to arrive.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #196
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Perfection by Julie Metz and Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #197
cane

How Do You Identify?:
male identified butch
Relationship Status:
Married

cane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputationcane Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading The Saga of Gösta Berling - Selma Lagerlöf (Nobelprice 1909), must have read it a hundred times, simply love it...

cane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #198
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation

afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #199
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished a book today called In the Woods by Tana French.

It was awful. I trudged my way through it to try and find out the answer to the mystery and, well, I'm just going to stop there because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

My advice? Don't bother.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #200
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I am now 6 chapters into the 4th Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am still truly amazed at how much I am enjoying the read of this series. I had serious doubts.

Oh, and My list is still the same as the earlier post. Just the Harry Potter change-up.

JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading