Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

EEEEKKKK!!!

I always have a couple of books going but I just finished one called "Bird Box".

A SUPER CREEPY post-apocalypse (but without the zombies) nail-biter replete with "the hair on the back of my neck just stood up" moments.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #2722
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe and the biography Harriet Tubman by Kem Knapp Sawyer.

Thanks to this thread I read The Zookeeper's Wife last weekend and I'm now starting The Color of Water.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:27 PM   #2723
anotherbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single and very content this way...

Thanked 1,300 Times in 367 Posts
anotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputationanotherbutch Has the BEST Reputation

The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*uck..... by Mark Manson
anotherbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anotherbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #2724
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
EEEEKKKK!!!

I always have a couple of books going but I just finished one called "Bird Box".

A SUPER CREEPY post-apocalypse (but without the zombies) nail-biter replete with "the hair on the back of my neck just stood up" moments.
I just looked that up.. looks sooooooooooo good!
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #2725
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I read this and I loved it!
Thanks to you and Katzchen, I read The Color of Water and I loved it. I gave it to my mother to read and she also loved it.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #2726
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
I just looked that up.. looks sooooooooooo good!

If you do decide to read it, let me know what you think! I was totally creeped out in several areas but it was super entertaining!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #2727
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
If you do decide to read it, let me know what you think! I was totally creeped out in several areas but it was super entertaining!
I have requested it at my library and will let you know how it goes. I like creepy... usually
Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM   #2728
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar

The story of the billionaire trader Steven A. Cohen, the rise and fall of his hedge fund, SAC Capital, and the largest insider trading investigation in history.

As a side note, the series Billions on Showtime is loosely based on this story of Cohen!

I also pre ordered the paperback of End Of Watch by Stephen King the final installment in the The Bill Hodges Trilogy!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #2729
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Black Edge by Sheelah Kolhatkar

The story of the billionaire trader Steven A. Cohen, the rise and fall of his hedge fund, SAC Capital, and the largest insider trading investigation in history.

As a side note, the series Billions on Showtime is loosely based on this story of Cohen!

I also pre ordered the paperback of End Of Watch by Stephen King the final installment in the The Bill Hodges Trilogy!

That book looks like an interesting read, homoe. Awhile back, I read the non-fiction book about the billionaire recluse who started DHL -- King Larry, Which also was an very interesting read.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 AM   #2730
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why I Am Not a Feminist: A Feminist Manifesto Jessa Crispin

The review says :

Outspoken critic Jessa Crispin delivers a searing rejection of contemporary feminism . . . and a bracing manifesto for revolution.

Are you a feminist? Do you believe women are human beings and that they deserve to be treated as such? That women deserve all the same rights and liberties bestowed upon men? If so, then you are a feminist . . . or so the feminists keep insisting. But somewhere along the way, the movement for female liberation sacrificed meaning for acceptance, and left us with a banal, polite, ineffectual pose that barely challenges the status quo. In this bracing, fiercely intelligent manifesto, Jessa Crispin demands more.

Why I Am Not A Feminist is a radical, fearless call for revolution. It accuses the feminist movement of obliviousness, irrelevance, and cowardice--and demands nothing less than the total dismantling of a system of oppression.

-----------------

Not sure I agree with the review. Doesnt seem to equate with my definition of radical but she does pose some very interesting and important questions for anyone who thinks "feminism" is a done deal as opposed to a continually evolving movement.

She is very good at demonstrating how what can perceived as progress can easily turn into an unexpected and unwanted pitfall.

It will challenge one's beliefs and why one believes them. It will anger some, enlighten others. Will definitely make anyone reading it, think harder and in ways that may not be comfortable.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #2731
Truly Scrumptious

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
She's my mirror twin, my next of kin

2 Highscores

Thanked 1,859 Times in 564 Posts
Truly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST ReputationTruly Scrumptious Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
EEEEKKKK!!!

"Bird Box" was awesome!

I read it in one sitting on a hot day by the pool a couple of summers ago . . . grateful I wasn't reading it at night in the dark

It was Josh Malerman's debut novel and I have been eagerly awaiting more from him, so I'm happy to report that his new book "Black Mad Wheel " will be released at the end of May.
Truly Scrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Truly Scrumptious For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #2732
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Quote:
EEEEKKKK!!!

I got this from the library today and I'm on P 75- EEK! Loving it. Only wish it was warm enough that I could sit out on my back porch at night reading it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #2733
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default IQ-84 (2011).

I've read this dystopian novel twice, and never tire of reading it. I get a new insight, each time I read it.... it's really good book, well written, very enjoyable.

Link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84?wprov=sfla1

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #2734
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

a book about murder in the ohio amish community
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #2735
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft*Silver View Post
a book about murder in the ohio amish community
Oooh, title please?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #2736
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Nixon effect : how Richard Nixon's presidency fundamentally changed American politics / Douglas E. Schoen.

"The Nixon Effect examines the 37th presidents political legacy in broad-ranging ways that make clear, for the first time, the breadth and duration of his influence on American political life. The book argues that Nixon is the key political figure in postwar American politics in multiple ways, some barely acknowledged until now. His legacy includes a generational shift in the ideological orientations of both the Republican and Democratic parties; the Nixon influence, both intentional and unintentional, was to push both parties further out to their ideological poles. So stark was Nixons influence on party identities that it shaped the hardened partisan polarization in Washington today and the evolution of what has come to be called Red and Blue America,"--Amazon.com.

I'm a history person so this kind of book appeals to me. Not sure I agree with the authors conclusions but it is something to mull over.

Also reading various and sundry books on the value of living trusts over wills. More to ponder.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #2737
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
"The Nixon Effect examines the 37th presidents political legacy in broad-ranging ways that make clear, for the first time, the breadth and duration of his influence on American political life. The book argues that Nixon is the key political figure in postwar American politics in multiple ways, some barely acknowledged until now. His legacy includes a generational shift in the ideological orientations of both the Republican and Democratic parties; the Nixon influence, both intentional and unintentional, was to push both parties further out to their ideological poles. So stark was Nixons influence on party identities that it shaped the hardened partisan polarization in Washington today and the evolution of what has come to be called Red and Blue America,"--Amazon.com.

I'm a history person so this kind of book appeals to me. Not sure I agree with the authors conclusions but it is something to mull over.

Also reading various and sundry books on the value of living trusts over wills. More to ponder.
Thanks for posting about this book, Kobi. I am always interested in reading materials that might not be an easy read or might be provocative by nature or historical accounts about particular political events, views or commentary on the Nixon years.... which I feel hasn't been given the attention it deserves. Recently, friends of mine who own a recording studio posted a photo meme concerning Nixon: "A bad recording can ruin your life" (or something to that effect).

Eta: I'm interested in the sundry materials about living wills vs trusts ..... would like to know your take on those books (if there was any helpful advice, etc).

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #2738
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

End Of Watch by Stephen King.............
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #2739
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

I just got through with "The Butterfly Garden" by Dot Hutchison.

Meh. It was entertaining enough and the plot was decent but I just wasn't connected to the characters. Very reminiscent of "Kiss the Girls" and the ending was kinda...meh.

Still, I'd recommend it if you wanted something that would entertain you but not grab you by the throat and choke you for the entire book.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #2740
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Quote:
I just got through with "The Butterfly Garden" by Dot Hutchison.

Meh. It was entertaining enough and the plot was decent but I just wasn't connected to the characters. Very reminiscent of "Kiss the Girls" and the ending was kinda...meh.

Still, I'd recommend it if you wanted something that would entertain you but not grab you by the throat and choke you for the entire book.
I felt similarly about that book. It kept me picking it up but it wasn't like I was running home to it.

Tags
books, reading