Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 07-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation
Default Modeling

Nope, not the sexy runway kind of modeling! More like the ... put all the itty bitty bits together in the hopes of making something recognizable to others when you're done... type modeling!

I bought a few different types of models for a friend's birthday and one of the items arrived too late for me to mail it off. It was this thing...

... but that's the (nicely) completed version of the model!

This is how it comes to you ... with I don't know how many .... hundreds of loose matchsticks!

I've made quite a few models growing up... the plastic kind... cars... boats... airplanes... but never with matchsticks. Ugh!

Anyone else do any modeling?? Or ... am I solo in my Geekness.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great thread but..........

I'll never be posting in it after this! For the life of me I could NEVER get any of these models put together correctly try as hard as I might..
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

Dude! You must! Iol I never said I was good at any of these things! And this matches one is a beast! The instructions are awful! I already tossed out a template piece and will now have to recreate it... somehow! Iol

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I'll never be posting in it after this! For the life of me I could NEVER get any of these models put together correctly try as hard as I might..
Old 07-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Dude! You must! Iol I never said I was good at any of these things! And this matches one is a beast! The instructions are awful! I already tossed out a template piece and will now have to recreate it... somehow! Iol
Good Luck with that, but I know when to leave well enough alone..
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

Omg, love this thread. For me modeling would stretch to miniature town builds and dollhouses too. A slight obsession of mine. Thanks for posting this.

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
gotoseagrl

How Do You Identify?:
old-fashioned queer stone submissive girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
mermaid, *very* lucky babygirl
Relationship Status:
Saltwater mermaid ♡

Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,726 Posts
gotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputationgotoseagrl Has the BEST Reputation

Would love working on this kind too. Even though the detail is a little frightening.

gotoseagrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gotoseagrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Most definitely! And those lil miniature game pieces that people like to paint! Like from Dungeons and Dragons?! Those are so cool!

I've always wanted to make one of those sailing ships too! Yeah, the level of detail and precision is a little scary. And maybe a lil enticing! One day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoseagrl View Post
Omg, love this thread. For me modeling would stretch to miniature town builds and dollhouses too. A slight obsession of mine. Thanks for posting this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Have you tried youtube? It's for everything, nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoseagrl View Post
Would love working on this kind too. Even though the detail is a little frightening.

My dad used to these. He had a ton of them.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Agreed! And I was surprised to find very little about ... specifically vids along the lines of "how to" with the model kits. There's some vids on how to make lil things from actual leftover matchsticks ... but not much else.

I'm wondering if this is more of a UK/Euro type hobby and so some of the how it works is just common knowledge. This Yank is learning on the fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Have you tried youtube? It's for
everything, nowadays.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Agreed! And I was surprised to find very little about ... specifically vids along the lines of "how to" with the model kits. There's some vids on how to make lil things from actual leftover matchsticks ... but not much else.

I'm wondering if this is more of a UK/Euro type hobby and so some of the how it works is just common knowledge. This Yank is learning on the fly!
You're right; there's not a lot out there and what I did find wasn't fully satisfying but there is some info that might help in some of these.

This one seemed to at least show the work in real time.

This one is just kinda interesting but only remotely related.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Aww... saweeet! Thanks!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,912 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Nope, not the sexy runway kind of modeling! More like the ... put all the itty bitty bits together in the hopes of making something recognizable to others when you're done... type modeling!

I bought a few different types of models for a friend's birthday and one of the items arrived too late for me to mail it off. It was this thing...

... but that's the (nicely) completed version of the model!

This is how it comes to you ... with I don't know how many .... hundreds of loose matchsticks!

I've made quite a few models growing up... the plastic kind... cars... boats... airplanes... but never with matchsticks. Ugh!

Anyone else do any modeling?? Or ... am I solo in my Geekness.

This looks so cool!!!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

It is!

I'm getting closer to being done with mine ... that is.. done with just the gluing on of matches to the templates. Then comes the sanding of all pieces... the gluing together of all ... hoping it resembles the above... and then maybe a coat of something clear to purserve it.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

This is nearly all the bits that had to be matchsticked... there are four or five pieces missing. Either way... yeah... this took a minute! lol

P.S. keep trying to make this image smaller ... but it refuses!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Currently, I'm a wee bit farther along than this...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,912 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Currently, I'm a wee bit farther along than this...

That looks really good!!!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Congrats, Lyte! That's a ton of work!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #18
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanks y'all!

It's not quote done yet. I still had the interior to do and then possibly stain it. I'll post one final pic when it's like done done. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayandgray View Post
That looks really good!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Congrats, Lyte! That's a ton of work!