Old 01-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #41
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,392 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

Not to sound too jaded about it but frankly there is love and there is the business of life. I have auto and home insurance in case the unthinkable happens and Mother Nature decides those trees in the back yard are coming down on my stuff. I may hope and trust it won't happen but if it does I like to know what to expect while I go about picking up the pieces. I feel the same way about organ donation and end of life decisions. I want to have the hard conversations now while happy and smiling, not standing in the E.R. feeling scared and pressured. To me a pre-nup fits right in there with the first two life items. I am 100% for a pre-nup because I love clarity and a pre-nup provides that for me. I have been married before and we did not have a pre-nup however we were young, dewy-eyed in love and with no kids. Now I am older and the kiddo is 13. Priorities have shifted and while I find it almost laughable that I would get married again (never say never I suppose) I would want to make sure she is taken care of going forward. Especially if something were to happen before she was 18.

I won't reiterate what some of the other posters have said about aging, care issues, etc. as I do agree with all of those. What I do want to emphasize is I truly believe a pre-nup protects both parties regardless of whether their assets are equally matched going in or not. All it takes is one terrible accident and one partner is deceased, one incapacitated and now a guardian of the incapacitated is contesting the will of the deceased and leaving kids from a previous marriage cut out. I've seen that happen and it was ugly. A pre-nup (the deceased owned a business that the other spouse was not involved with at all) would have prevented that from happening. I also know the incapacitated spouse loved those kids and would never have wanted that to happen. But as she was incapacitated mentally she had no say. Not only was it ugly to resolve it was also expensive.

As an aside I do think it will be interesting in ten or so years to compare the divorce statistics of gay couples with those of straight couples. I'd like to think after years and years of fighting for the right to marry that our divorce stats will be lower, but sadly I am not banking on it.

Katniss~~ (As granny used to say, "Trust the preacher but have the ushers count the collection.")
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #42
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
Granted, Cupcake and if previous experience makes you doubtful you should do whatever you need to do. But if it's just a legal license to fuck, why would it be needed in the first place? If you view marriage as a business arrangement, I don't see the value in entering into one. Have an exclusive relationship and enjoy each other as needed without the entanglements marriage involves. Far simpler and enjoyable if you want the benefits without the risk and responsibilities.
I'm not quite catching you. I can fuck whomever I want. Hell, I can fuck three people at the same time. Not sure what fucking has to do with it...

Where I live is common law domestic partnerships. That means if you file your taxes as a couple, and you live together for two years, regardless of going through a ceremony or not, in the eyes of the law you are married. That means they can rack up debts for you, take half your stuff, make decisions about your health if you are sick and in hospital and make claims for child support. Amongst other things.

So before moving in with someone here, it's very wise to sign a legal document making things very clear. My mum and her common law partner were deeply in love with each other. My mum didn't want to get married again. But since they lived together 80% of the time and they both had families from previous marriages, they drew up contracts.

Good thing too because he died very suddenly and his family was right there waiting to take half of mums stuff as his. Which they could have done if it wasn't for paper work done up.

Life is far more complicated with unseen or unrealized angles outside your own box.

Last edited by imperfect_cupcake; 01-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #43
ProfPacker

How Do You Identify?:
butch/MOC
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy/hym/hys but in circumstances like work and some other places she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,187 Posts
ProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST ReputationProfPacker Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Dapper and cupcake, I think no matter how we feel at the moment or we imagine a "love to be" marriage is a legal contract that protects only certain benefits. We all do not know what life will bring us. It is not a matter of trusting or not trusting one another. There are other people and circumstances that spouses or partners entered into prior to the marriage, their are things and people that we might need to protect and be responsible for prior and even during the marriage.
ProfPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ProfPacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #44
Nattih

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Nattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST ReputationNattih Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
Personally if you can't trust me with your assets, why in the world would you want to marry me or visa versa? You don't need legal paper to live together.
No matter how I toss it around, I agree with this sentiment. If either of us feels iffy about going all in with regard to love, finances, combined households, raising children, etc then we can just remain an unmarried couple. that is a good way to protect yourself from me and any of my nefarious ways that you may think are hidden and laying in wait.

But if you are saying you want to get married, to *me* that means all in. All the way in the ring. 0 limbs outside.

I do own a business that I alone am investing in and I do have land that I will inherit, but the way I see it...there are so many worse things I can and will lose during the breakdown of a marriage that are dear.
Nattih is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nattih For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #45
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Because in many places even if you don't get married you get considered common law married anyway?

Laws are different all over the planet
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #46
Shystonefem

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Shy for President

Thanked 3,678 Times in 898 Posts
Shystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST ReputationShystonefem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattih View Post
No matter how I toss it around, I agree with this sentiment. If either of us feels iffy about going all in with regard to love, finances, combined households, raising children, etc then we can just remain an unmarried couple. that is a good way to protect yourself from me and any of my nefarious ways that you may think are hidden and laying in wait.

But if you are saying you want to get married, to *me* that means all in. All the way in the ring. 0 limbs outside.

I do own a business that I alone am investing in and I do have land that I will inherit, but the way I see it...there are so many worse things I can and will lose during the breakdown of a marriage that are dear.
The breakdown of a marriage is always hard. I wish we had a prenuptial agreement in place. Even when someone is in a serious relationship where joint property is involved.

I am usually the one to walk away from everything but there are only so many times you can start over.

In addition, I would not want my or the other person's family members to try to swoop up everything if one of the parents pass.

I would want to sign a prenuptial with the other person as much as I would like them to sign one with me.

Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.

~Lao Tzu
Shystonefem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Shystonefem For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #47
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We both had property, 401k's, bank accounts and I had an upcoming inheritance...in fact I inherited from both my grandmother and my mother. We were married without a pre-nup, and we went into it with eyes wide open and everything in us has gone into the for better or worse part.

I still stand behind the school of thought that says when you plan for the end, it will come.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #48
Angeltoes

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Nunya

Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,386 Posts
Angeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST ReputationAngeltoes Has the BEST Reputation

Hell yeah, no one can have my beanie baby collection, my giant hello kitty, my vegan recipe books, my vinyl collection. .. I don't care how cute you are. You can't have them!

Last edited by Angeltoes; 01-02-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Angeltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angeltoes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 PM   #49
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,585 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltoes View Post
Hell yeah, no one can have my beanie baby collection, my giant hello kitty, my vegan recipe books, my vinyl collection. .. I don't care how cute you are. You can't have them!
Angel, careful, there are gold diggers out there just waiting to pounce!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #50
easygoingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Lil' Miss Sassy Pants
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 14,115 Times in 2,999 Posts
easygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputationeasygoingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeltoes View Post
The vinyl collection! See I was thinking that I didn't really have a reason for a pre-nup. But yeah, need to protect my vinyl! Good looking out. Guess I'd need one.
easygoingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to easygoingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #51
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
"check your six"

Thanked 21,352 Times in 6,710 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I have to agree with imperfect_cupcake, people do change. Sometimes it's for the better, sometimes, through no fault of the person it's for the worse.

Were I to ever marry I would want a prenup. I prefer to see it as a means of the two of us taking care of one another and being responsible financially for the sake of both of our futures. It may have to have a lottery clause too.

I also will not share a banking account. There was a time years ago (30) when a girlfriend and I shared a bank account and I paid for that the hard way. It took me 6 months to pay all of the bounced check fees and bills that got behind because she walked the day after we put the checks in the mail for the monthly bills, and she cleaned out the bank on her way out and everything bounced. Lesson learned.

Also I think most of us go into a committed relationship with the thought in mind that it will be forever, and well, sadly it doesn't always work out that way.
Agreed, people sometimes do change, but usually not their basic ethics, if they seem to maybe you didn't know them quite that well or in the lush of new love you look the other way. It happens, we want to think of the person we are in love in the very best of terms..for those who can't deal with the risk, I can see a prenup is a good solution but I still understand the need for a marriage license. But I am stubborn that way :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #52
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Maybe you haven't dealt with what I have. And it *certainly* wasn't the flush of new love.
I've changed quite a bit in the last two years.
I've had friends that last over 25, and 30 years. I've watched them change deeply. That we are still friends are only because I grew up with them.

People change their ethics. A lot. What my ethics were 10 years ago are not the same as they are now after living in a different continent and going through severve poverty, a break down and a divorce.
My life has taught me people change in big fat huge ways, right through their core if life hits them hard enough.
So, I have to disagree.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #53
Katniss

How Do You Identify?:
Dame, doll, twist, dish
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ladylike ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,392 Times in 2,094 Posts
Katniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST ReputationKatniss Has the BEST Reputation

I suppose I look at pre-nups a bit differently than some of the other posters here. To me a pre-nup would be honoring a commitment I made before I met my future spouse. My daughter is 13 and as soon as I became pregnant with her I made a commitment. (Goodbye Diet Coke and and crappy eating for 9 months). Part of that commitment is to see to her financial well-being at least until she is an adult. I have every intention of paying for her college. I worked my way through college by waiting tables, working at the student cafeteria and holding a work-study position. All at the same time. Because of this I had to decline some research opportunities that had no or little pay. To this day I have very few regrets however having to bypass the opportunity to study wild dolphins off the coast is at the top of the list. I want her to be able to take the opportunities that arise and make the most of them. Like it or not money helps in this regard. When I was married I put my spouse through school. He didn't have to work at all and was a full-time student. I have also helped finance cars, pay off debts, etc. I have no regrets about this nor am I bitter. But I was younger. I'm 49 now and the "Katniss Scholarship Program for Wayward Adults" is closed. If I were to marry again (insert maniacal laughter here) I would not leave the new spouse out in the cold, but my financial past (401K, real estate holdings, etc.) is spoken for.

I also have 2 friends who were together (before the legalization of gay marriage) for 12 years. Long story short there was cheating and an eventual end to the relationship. After the dust had settled and they were on speaking terms again they had the dilemma of what to do with a beach house they co-owned. Neither could afford to buy the other out (prices had skyrocketed), and neither wanted to sell. They came up with a truce where they both still co-own the property and alternate weekends and holidays on who gets use. In their wills they have each left the other with their share of the house. They also agreed in a notarized document that should either marry then that person would have a pre-nup regarding the beach house not being communal property. This makes sense to me because the pre-nup has nothing to do with trust or lack thereof in a new spouse, and everything to do with honoring a previous commitment to someone they had at one time cared for a great deal. While a will can accomplish distribution of property a pre-nup is added insurance.

It's interesting to read the different responses. I suppose my greatest hope is that those contemplating marriage at some point sit down and have discussions about finances, debt, financial planning, etc. If a pre-nup makes the couple feel safe and cared for then I don't think anyone else should believe that marriage is less trusting or loving or "all in" than a couple that eschews a pre-nup.

Katniss~~
Katniss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Katniss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 PM   #54
TL1

How Do You Identify?:
Butch of stone
Preferred Pronoun?:
The guy kind

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,006 Posts
TL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST ReputationTL1 Has the BEST Reputation

It's sad that this is in fact a necessity. At the beginning everything is all lalala great and that person would never do anything to hurt you in such a way. WRong.... By the end That person you thought you knew no longer exists and they just want to take from you. Besides what's the harm in it? If you're not wanting to ef someone over then there's no reason not to.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM   #55
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Quote:
If a pre-nup makes the couple feel safe and cared for then I don't think anyone else should believe that marriage is less trusting or loving or "all in" than a couple that eschews a pre-nup.
Thank you.

I don't think that people who don't do prenup are foolish. Tinkerbelly's reasons are fantastic for her.

And anyone saying that me asking for a pre-nup is because I don't trust partners or its all business or I am self destructing a relationship can sit and spin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #56
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,960 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfect_cupcake View Post
Thank you.

I don't think that people who don't do prenup are foolish. Tinkerbelly's reasons are fantastic for her.

And anyone saying that me asking for a pre-nup is because I don't trust partners or its all business or I am self destructing a relationship can sit and spin.
I only ever say what works for me, and try to give the thought that went into the decision.

Your experience (general your) may vary, and is just as valid for you.

I'm not a judge of anyone but myself.
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #57
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Exactly. That is how I was seeing it when I wrote the first post. I saw/see it as a way to protect my wife and also as a way to make things easy and less stressful if we ended. I would actually see it as me being a good husband and doing something "for us", by initiating the process for the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss View Post
If a pre-nup makes the couple feel safe and cared for then I don't think anyone else should believe that marriage is less trusting or loving or "all in" than a couple that eschews a pre-nup.

Katniss~~
Exactly. That is where I was going with my post.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #58
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,666 Times in 7,708 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My sentments exactly!

It is interesting to read all the differing views, and no one view is "right" or "wrong"...it is all part of our diversity/adversity!!!

Thanks, K!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss View Post
I suppose I look at pre-nups a bit differently than some of the other posters here. To me a pre-nup would be honoring a commitment I made before I met my future spouse. My daughter is 13 and as soon as I became pregnant with her I made a commitment. (Goodbye Diet Coke and and crappy eating for 9 months). Part of that commitment is to see to her financial well-being at least until she is an adult. I have every intention of paying for her college. I worked my way through college by waiting tables, working at the student cafeteria and holding a work-study position. All at the same time. Because of this I had to decline some research opportunities that had no or little pay. To this day I have very few regrets however having to bypass the opportunity to study wild dolphins off the coast is at the top of the list. I want her to be able to take the opportunities that arise and make the most of them. Like it or not money helps in this regard. When I was married I put my spouse through school. He didn't have to work at all and was a full-time student. I have also helped finance cars, pay off debts, etc. I have no regrets about this nor am I bitter. But I was younger. I'm 49 now and the "Katniss Scholarship Program for Wayward Adults" is closed. If I were to marry again (insert maniacal laughter here) I would not leave the new spouse out in the cold, but my financial past (401K, real estate holdings, etc.) is spoken for.

I also have 2 friends who were together (before the legalization of gay marriage) for 12 years. Long story short there was cheating and an eventual end to the relationship. After the dust had settled and they were on speaking terms again they had the dilemma of what to do with a beach house they co-owned. Neither could afford to buy the other out (prices had skyrocketed), and neither wanted to sell. They came up with a truce where they both still co-own the property and alternate weekends and holidays on who gets use. In their wills they have each left the other with their share of the house. They also agreed in a notarized document that should either marry then that person would have a pre-nup regarding the beach house not being communal property. This makes sense to me because the pre-nup has nothing to do with trust or lack thereof in a new spouse, and everything to do with honoring a previous commitment to someone they had at one time cared for a great deal. While a will can accomplish distribution of property a pre-nup is added insurance.

It's interesting to read the different responses. I suppose my greatest hope is that those contemplating marriage at some point sit down and have discussions about finances, debt, financial planning, etc. If a pre-nup makes the couple feel safe and cared for then I don't think anyone else should believe that marriage is less trusting or loving or "all in" than a couple that eschews a pre-nup.

Katniss~~
Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #59
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

I am going to make up a pre nup if I ever get married, just in case.

If she won't sign it then it's not meant to be.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 PM   #60
flapdoodle

How Do You Identify?:
I'm the Mrs.
Preferred Pronoun?:
reflexive
Relationship Status:
Married in 2013

flapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputationflapdoodle Has the BEST Reputation

we are legally married
no prenup here.
I never understood the purpose.
... I protect myself via my will and my deed, I made sure j gets everything and likewise.

i knew the score going in, sure, she might change...and so might I...

i trust her, bottom line
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flapdoodle For This Useful Post: