Old 05-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Internalized Homophobia

I don't think there is a thread on this subject.

I remember when, in my first queer relationship (31, I am 40 now), I used to say to everyone (even her), I am not gay!; it is a fluke!; she is special!; I am not REALLY GAY; I am NOT a lesbian! But I LOVE YOU!

I was in love and didn't want to claim any terms (at that moment).
My first female lover would joke and say...that's ok, I'll be the gay/lesbian one! (reminiscent of tshirts that read, "I'm not gay, but girlfriend is!) She didn't mind my shying away from the *lesbian / gay* terms).

I think that was me..trying to still be *straight* and laying all the *queerness* on the hands of my first lovers without having to do any work/acknowledgement, etc. I didn't want to say...I am GAY/LESBIAN/and/or QUEER, and I think that is wholly due to internalized homophobia.

I thought of this subject from a poster (I am sorry, I cannot remember who!) who said something about Cynthia Nixon...sounds like this is her first queer relo and she doesn't want to reallllly admit she is gay..something like that...).

Does anyone have issues with or comments about internalized homophobia?

Where do you see it? Has it affected you?
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

cool thread!

i'm always curious (pissed!) when the self-hating Gay has to build a life around his self-hate and rally christians, parents, teens, republicans to fear and hate 'the gay' until such time that he's outted in a men's bathroom, airport, etc...

why can't this kind of self-hating Gay just keep his self-hatred moderately contained--why do they have to work their shit out on a BIG HUGE platform of homophobia?!!

this, i don't understand.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

I remember feeling very uneasy for a while when I was coming to terms with my sexuality. I suppose I took the loing, scenic way around though. Straight to straight to...oh, look a whooopsie...to straight to maybe I'm bi to I'm bi to what's this...to oh, look, this is who I am.

Peachy.

Except that wasn't the end of it. Every now and then a feeling pops up and I have to examine and acknowledge it and deal with it accordingly. I'm not sure if I will ever be 100% free from the i.h. thoughts, but I definitely deal with them in a more appropriate way now that I am older and, hopefully, wiser.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think I have any internalized homophobia since I have been openly gay since childhood but it seems like we all must have some so if I do I would like it to be ripped out mercilessly, for my own good.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Smile bumping...

I was just perusing the threads I started, and I thought maybe others might want to join in on this discussion.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,605 Times in 3,972 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

well I certainly have experienced internalized homophobia throughout my years, but no realizing it until it smacked me in the head

like, I didnt realize it was really homophobic of me to think I had to not shave my legs and wear a gender neutral haircut and wear potchouli in order to be a lesbian, instead of wearing the lace bras that I loved, and shaving my legs and underarms and wearing my hair long and adorning it with bows and baubles.

It was homophobic of me to think I had to date only women who wore gender neutral haircuts and those who wouldnt be caught dead in wife beaters (NEVER to be called them) and men's jeans and boots. No, I as a lesbian denounced women who bled patriarchy into our lesbian land like a hemmorage. I was a true lesbian....

I was not experiencing homophobia when I swooned over the incredibly handsome FtM that winked and swung on his heels and sauntered over to me at a pride picnic and bought me a coke. Was I crazy? He wasnt GAY, my lesbian friends told me! He was a man...a mutilated, disfigured,mentally ill crazy bastard who wanted his cake and eat it too. No, he wasnt welcomed in our lesbian land. They linked their arms in mine and walked me away from him as I looked back sadly at the most handsome person I had ever seen there...

shit no, I never experienced homophobia...

of course I did...I went thru all of that. And more. I would love to say I didnt let my friends pry me away from the FtM...but it happened. But it never happened again, after I went home and found out all about the damn politics around it...I was PISSED when I realized the fuss they made about it. Never again, I vowed. And never again, was right.

And yes, I did go thru the PC period where I thought I had to be andro to be a lesbian and being femme and butch was wrong. It damn near killed me. It made me sick inside. I had to throw off the andro uniform and put on femme clothes to find me a butch so I could be true to myself...

coming out is hard...and it was really hard back then...and it was even harder the decades before I came out...I dont know how they survived it then. I just watched Oprah show today about her shows on coming out. People had written her and said they had felt they were the only gay person in the world until they saw her show on coming out. Good GOD. Can you imagine that? IN THE WORLD? People said they hated themselves for being gay. Parents said they wished their child had never been born because they were gay. OMG.

We are so lucky, arent we?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
KatieStar

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

KatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I remember feeling very uneasy for a while when I was coming to terms with my sexuality. I suppose I took the loing, scenic way around though. Straight to straight to...oh, look a whooopsie...to straight to maybe I'm bi to I'm bi to what's this...to oh, look, this is who I am.

Peachy.

Except that wasn't the end of it. Every now and then a feeling pops up and I have to examine and acknowledge it and deal with it accordingly. I'm not sure if I will ever be 100% free from the i.h. thoughts, but I definitely deal with them in a more appropriate way now that I am older and, hopefully, wiser.
Gemme, I can tell you I did the exact same thing for years. I was in a straight relationship that was on again off again for seven years. During all those off again moments - never did I find myself interested in another straight man. I'd always find a gay fling or two to involve myself in until the fear would take over and I'd find myself falling back on my comfy, cozy (yet, completely miserable) straight relationship. After leaving that relationship for good I started coming to terms with who I am and what I want/need from my partner.
Two years after leaving said relationship... I am happier and more comfortable with who and what I am than I ever have been. I'm more out today than I ever imagined I was capable of being, including in the workplace. It's very empowering to finally feel like I'm in control of my fear

Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
lisa93

How Do You Identify?:
femme

lisa93 is on a distinguished road

It's a big problem in the community. I see it all the time.
lisa93 is offline   Reply With Quote