Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Thanked 2,683 Times in 562 Posts
Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation
Question "Stud" versus "Butch"

Hello,

Curious femme here. Lately, I've noticed on certain lesbian websites butches are referred to as "studs". This seems to be a generational thing with younger butches especially using the term. I find if off-putting because to me the term "stud" implies some type of breeding stock.

Thoughts on this?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

One word...culture.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Graham

How Do You Identify?:
Butch/male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he him his
Relationship Status:
Married to wintergreengem

Graham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST ReputationGraham Has the BEST Reputation
Wink yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
Hello,

Curious femme here. Lately, I've noticed on certain lesbian websites butches are referred to as "studs". This seems to be a generational thing with younger butches especially using the term. I find if off-putting because to me the term "stud" implies some type of breeding stock.

Thoughts on this?
you're showing our age here
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Like brother Corkey said, it's a cultural thing. From my own personal experience I've only ever heard African American or Latino butches refer to themselves as studs. I don't think that they see themselves as livestock but rather handsome masculine women. Just like some straight women call men that they find attractive studs.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Girl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST ReputationGirl_On_Fire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebon View Post
Like brother Corkey said, it's a cultural thing. From my own personal experience I've only ever heard African American or Latino butches refer to themselves as studs. I don't think that they see themselves as livestock but rather handsome masculine women. Just like some straight women call men that they find attractive studs.
*laughs @ 'livestock'*

Okay, maybe it is a cultural thing. There's nothing wrong with it, I was just wondering where it came from. I just happened to see 'stud' as meaning one thing. I had a picture of a prize stallion in my head. (*giggles*) That doesn't mean that's what the person had in mind.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,343 Times in 2,665 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

Stud isn't a new term and there are probably a few references online, if you googled a bit.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

It is nothing to be laughed at, unless of course one is not educated about cultures. Perhaps looking about the site will correct this? Just a suggestion.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Stud, Macha and Aggressive are just a couple of Identities that have
evolved over the last decade or so within the history of those
Identifying masculine, they do not replace Butch as an
Identity nor do these terms dictate pronouns.
Or sexual preference.

Self Identity is an empowering experience, and being able to express
that with a term that feels right is awesome. Butch is not a one
term fits all, especially in a Community that is becoming
more beautifully diverse every day.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Cultural Identities

Quote:
Hello,

Thoughts on this?

Hi,

Studs, daddies, aggressives, tomboys, papis, machas are all cutural terms used by some folks. I don't think it's generational it's always been out there as long as I can remember. I do believe that the internet and social media have made the words more popular.

I'd leave any further animal references out when it comes to these particular terms.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i'm not all that versed but i've never heard stud used when referring to butch.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i'm not all that versed but i've never heard stud used when referring to butch.

That's because they are not the same thing.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

I wasn't saying that I saw people who identified as "studs" as animals. I was saying that's the only way I'd ever heard that term used before until very recently. I thought it would start an interesting discussion, which is why I didn't just "Google" it just for my own knowledge.

I meant no offense to anyone.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

I'd like to add that on occasion the Mrs Day will holler
at me with a 'Hey, Stud...' here n there, but it's
not the same thing as Stud - the Identity term.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Quote:
I wasn't saying that I saw people who identified as "studs" as animals. I was saying that's the only way I'd ever heard that term used before until very recently. I thought it would start an interesting discussion, which is why I didn't just "Google" it just for my own knowledge.

I think it would be a great conversation to be had.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:

How about instead of getting defensive, admit the foul, and one take a look through the Forums, there is a plethora of information in the Butch Zone. That way no one gets their nose bent outta shape. This way you get some info under your belt, and don't have to apologize your way out of a sticky situation. Still a suggestion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
How about instead of getting defensive, admit the foul, and one take a look through the Forums, there is a plethora of information in the Butch Zone. That way no one gets their nose bent outta shape. This way you get some info under your belt, and don't have to apologize your way out of a sticky situation. Still a suggestion.
Corkey,

I have absolutely no idea what you're so upset about. I'm not being defensive at all. I'm explaining why I decided to start this as a thread instead of just looking it up. I'm not bent out of shape either. I'm just genuinely confused by your response.

(I didn't mean to 'thank' your response. Slipped finger.)

I'm lost.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #17
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I think it's perfectly fine that you asked the question and nowhere did I see you equate the term used for butches as animals. I understood that you have heard the term used to represent "animal husbandry" as it is termed, essentially, "breeding". I know you tried to be light about it, and that's how I took it. If you can't ask these questions here, then you can't ask them anywhere. These forums are supposed to be supportive, so I hope you feel that your question received adequate and sincere attention. I saw some others answered essentially what I would have answered... it's more of a "culture" thing than an age or geographical thing. Terms have and will continue to be introduced to our community and evolve over time.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Girl_On_Fire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
On Hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofSmirks View Post
I think it's perfectly fine that you asked the question and nowhere did I see you equate the term used for butches as animals. I understood that you have heard the term used to represent "animal husbandry" as it is termed, essentially, "breeding". I know you tried to be light about it, and that's how I took it. If you can't ask these questions here, then you can't ask them anywhere. These forums are supposed to be supportive, so I hope you feel that your question received adequate and sincere attention. I saw some others answered essentially what I would have answered... it's more of a "culture" thing than an age or geographical thing. Terms have and will continue to be introduced to our community and evolve over time.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Thank you for the explanation and the support.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Corkey,

I have absolutely no idea what you're so upset about. I'm not being defensive at all. I'm explaining why I decided to start this as a thread instead of just looking it up. I'm not bent out of shape either. I'm just genuinely confused by your response.

(I didn't mean to 'thank' your response. Slipped finger.)

I'm lost.
LOL Soooo not upset, thought I'd save you some embarrassment. I'm done. Perhaps you need to think about you're seeming cluelessness about peoples gender expressions to get it. Bye bye.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

forget it. it's saturday night.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:

Tags
butch, stud