Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Trans News/ Issues

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, because I didn't see a news or legal issues thread, so I figured I should just start one.

I heard about this a couple days ago and finally found an article regarding the new identification restrictions going on with airlines. It may be nothing to most people, but for trans- persons who often times their ID ( DL/ Birth certificate, etc) does not match their physical appearance, this could become an issue.

Just a heads up so folks can be prepared when travelling.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...cials_enf.html
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Good article.

Heck just knowing that, "24 million Americans will take to the skies from Nov. 19-30" makes me nervous!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
but for trans- persons who often times their ID ( DL/ Birth certificate, etc) does not match their physical appearance, this could become an issue.
This is a non-issue.

It has nothing to do with your physical appearance. It has to do with what is printed on your identification and what is on your boarding pass and if the photo matches your presentation.

Just be sure that when you reserve a ticket you're using the same gender which is printed on your ID and you're good to go.

I flew on Monday and had zero issues with this change even though half the time I travel people mistake me for male. I did, however, encounter a very aggressive physical search at the gate before boarding my flight. Unrelated, as far as I could tell, though still quite uncomfortable.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

cool, if it is a non-issue... I know some folks who live as.. look like.. are never questioned as male until they pull out their DL and it reads Female...

shrugs.. just thought it a noteworthy item.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

You didn't hear of our adventures in voting I'm assuming.
Yea sometimes people can be awfully dumb.
Old lady takes our names, gives my license to another old lady 'cause neither one of them can spell our last name, and it isn't that hard.
She looks at me male (first name), female (middle name), says my name out loud, as if the two were incongruent with what her eyes were seeing.
It happens more often than one thinks.
Some folks just have no manners.

Thanks for the info Jess.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
You didn't hear of our adventures in voting I'm assuming.
Yea sometimes people can be awfully dumb.
Old lady takes our names, gives my license to another old lady 'cause neither one of them can spell our last name, and it isn't that hard.
She looks at me male (first name), female (middle name), says my name out loud, as if the two were incongruent with what her eyes were seeing.
It happens more often than one thinks.
Some folks just have no manners.

Thanks for the info Jess.
Yes, I had a similar situation (gender confusion), yesterday while voting....volunteer getting confused...female name, but a guy standing in front of you? Another volunteer had to step in to explain it to the older gentleman...yes, this IS ____ (meaning, yes, this is a female in front of you)...and my license pic matches how I look now, too! His eyes just couldn't match up the idea of the person in front of him matching with the female name.

lol..happens all the time...

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #7
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I'm not exactly sure where to put this, because I didn't see a news or legal issues thread, so I figured I should just start one.

I heard about this a couple days ago and finally found an article regarding the new identification restrictions going on with airlines. It may be nothing to most people, but for trans- persons who often times their ID ( DL/ Birth certificate, etc) does not match their physical appearance, this could become an issue.

Just a heads up so folks can be prepared when travelling.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...cials_enf.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
This is a non-issue.

It has nothing to do with your physical appearance. It has to do with what is printed on your identification and what is on your boarding pass and if the photo matches your presentation.

Just be sure that when you reserve a ticket you're using the same gender which is printed on your ID and you're good to go.

I flew on Monday and had zero issues with this change even though half the time I travel people mistake me for male. I did, however, encounter a very aggressive physical search at the gate before boarding my flight. Unrelated, as far as I could tell, though still quite uncomfortable.
As someone who travels regularly, I can attest as to how much of a non-issue this is. My passport still has my birth name and gender on it with a picture pre-transition. I have never been stopped, pulled aside or questioned about it. I have heard that TSA has had some sensitivity training on this and if there is a need to do a body pat down (e.g., refusal to go into the body x-Ray machine) you can choose which gender of personel you want to pat you down (based on comfort level).

That said, however, as a white guy I would bet that this has more to do with my skin colour and name than anything else.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation
Default California: Transgender Candidate Is New Judge

"Voters in the San Francisco Bay Area elected the first transgender trial judge in the country on Tuesday. Victoria Kolakowski, a lawyer who underwent gender reassignment surgery more than two decades ago, won the race for Superior Court judge in Alameda County with more than 50 percent of the vote. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/us...f=transsexuals
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,119 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Canadian Military Changes Transgender Policy

The Canadian military has changed their policy on transgender troops to be more inclusive of non-cisgender soldiers.

While the United States continues to debate whether openly gay soldiers should be allowed to serve, the Canadian Armed Forces are making themselves more inclusive for their transgender members.

Under the new policy, Canadian soldiers are instructed to wear the uniform of their “target” gender, regardless of their biological sex. Military personnel are also instructed to give transgender soldier privacy and respect for their decision — for example, not asking reasons when a soldier changes his or her name on military records.

However, not all is in favor of soldiers who come out and live as transgender during their tour of service: the new policy does not allow military honors to be reassigned to new names, even names adopted as part of a gender transition. The policy backs up this decision by stating that “there is no legal authority for rewriting history.”

The Canadian Forces have a history of demonstrating respect and inclusivity towards soldiers of all orientations. Since openly-gay soldiers were allowed and granted protection from harassment and discrimination in 1992, gay soldiers have enjoyed the same rights as their straight counterparts. Same-sex couples can get married in military base chapels, and their unions entitle them to the same benefits as other married military couples. Representatives and soldiers from the Canadian Forces are routinely seen at Canadian pride events, with a significant number of straight soldiers opting to participate in the events alongside their gay counterparts. The Forces have even covered sex reassignment treatments for transgender soldiers since 1998, and several soldiers each year undergo the treatments during their time in service of their country.

Even coming from such a good base of respecting the dignity of transgender soldiers, the Canadian Forces’ policy change has been praised as a critical move forward by Canadian LGBT advocates. “This is an important step towards recognising a community that has always struggled for equal rights and basic human protection,” Cherie Macleod, executive director of PFLAG Canada, stated in PinkNews. “When government becomes more inclusive, over time, society will follow.”

Last edited by Soon; 12-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default And the USA Religious Right Wing's Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
Canadian Military Changes Transgender Policy

The Canadian military has changed their policy on transgender troops to be more inclusive of non-cisgender soldiers.

While the United States continues to debate whether openly gay soldiers should be allowed to serve, the Canadian Armed Forces are making themselves more inclusive for their transgender members.

Under the new policy, Canadian soldiers are instructed to wear the uniform of their “target” gender, regardless of their biological sex. Military personnel are also instructed to give transgender soldier privacy and respect for their decision — for example, not asking reasons when a soldier changes his or her name on military records.

However, not all is in favor of soldiers who come out and live as transgender during their tour of service: the new policy does not allow military honors to be reassigned to new names, even names adopted as part of a gender transition. The policy backs up this decision by stating that “there is no legal authority for rewriting history.”

The Canadian Forces have a history of demonstrating respect and inclusivity towards soldiers of all orientations. Since openly-gay soldiers were allowed and granted protection from harassment and discrimination in 1992, gay soldiers have enjoyed the same rights as their straight counterparts. Same-sex couples can get married in military base chapels, and their unions entitle them to the same benefits as other married military couples. Representatives and soldiers from the Canadian Forces are routinely seen at Canadian pride events, with a significant number of straight soldiers opting to participate in the events alongside their gay counterparts. The Forces have even covered sex reassignment treatments for transgender soldiers since 1998, and several soldiers each year undergo the treatments during their time in service of their country.

Even coming from such a good base of respecting the dignity of transgender soldiers, the Canadian Forces’ policy change has been praised as a critical move forward by Canadian LGBT advocates. “This is an important step towards recognising a community that has always struggled for equal rights and basic human protection,” Cherie Macleod, executive director of PFLAG Canada, stated in PinkNews. “When government becomes more inclusive, over time, society will follow.”

"According to LifeSiteNews, sexually confused service members in Canada will be required to cross-dress as a matter of military policy. Yes, you read that right. Cross-dressing will not just be a privilege in the Canadian military, it will be an obligation.

"According to a just-issued mandate, military personnel must conform to the dress code and standards of their 'target' gender. So a man who believes he is a woman will be required to start dressing as a woman, despite carrying around fully functional male equipment. This is regardless of whether genital mutilation surgery has taken place or not. [snip]

"If you want to see where the overturning of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' will lead in the U.S., just take a glance at our neighbor to the north. It’s not a pretty picture." - American Family Association radio host Bryan Fischer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Ah yes. The AFA. lowering the bar even more.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
"According to LifeSiteNews, sexually confused service members in Canada will be required to cross-dress as a matter of military policy. Yes, you read that right. Cross-dressing will not just be a privilege in the Canadian military, it will be an obligation.

"According to a just-issued mandate, military personnel must conform to the dress code and standards of their 'target' gender. So a man who believes he is a woman will be required to start dressing as a woman, despite carrying around fully functional male equipment. This is regardless of whether genital mutilation surgery has taken place or not. [snip]

"If you want to see where the overturning of 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' will lead in the U.S., just take a glance at our neighbor to the north. It’s not a pretty picture." - American Family Association radio host Bryan Fischer.
Argh, what a raging douchebag. I am so tired of rightwing extremists in the US bitching about us all the time and trying to use us as an example of "what not to do". Lordy.

Thanks for sharing even though I am angry now.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Well the AFA will certainly disaprove of this then: http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/C...lays-9536.aspx

Closer than ever to giving trans folks basic human rights Canada-wide.

Honestly, I can't help but find it somewhat amusing when religious extremists go on about trans "privilege" and "teh horrors of socialism!...people might have *gasp* rights!" *dies of shock* Anyone else not surprised Harper didn't show up for the vote?

Also, great article that I thought I'd drop in here: http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/M...enda-9527.aspx
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Once again Canada shows us they are cooler than the U.S.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Berlmeister

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch/trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
anything male identified
Relationship Status:
dating a bit

Berlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST ReputationBerlmeister Has the BEST Reputation
Default passports

I can't find the article now sadly, but I very recently read that secretary of state hillary clinton has compaigned succesfully and now transfolk no longer need to prove that they actually physically 'match' in any way to the sex/gender posted on their passports. meaning one doesn't have to have any kind of srs or demonstrate that one's gender matches their sexual traits from birth. now that's not written in My words but the words I can recollect from the original article.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #16
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default Trans man denied marriage license in Michigan

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...oakland-county
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlmeister View Post
I can't find the article now sadly, but I very recently read that secretary of state hillary clinton has compaigned succesfully and now transfolk no longer need to prove that they actually physically 'match' in any way to the sex/gender posted on their passports. meaning one doesn't have to have any kind of srs or demonstrate that one's gender matches their sexual traits from birth. now that's not written in My words but the words I can recollect from the original article.
Hello- This is true. To obtain a passport you are not required to have surgery. You will need a letter from your doctor stating you are undergoing "treatment" for sexual reassignment. In other words, hormones. The state department does not require anything else in the letter. I recently had my passport changed. I sent them a letter from my surgeon, which they rejected, and had to go to my doctor who prescribes the T for a letter. The state Dept. has this info on their website and states that they do not beleive any government entity should require surgery of a citizen. Its made it easy to get a passport. However, when you go to change things like birth certificates or social security number they want a letter stating surgery has been performed. You also need a male birth certificate when you apply for the passport. So ultimately, you have to have some kind of surgery to get all the docs you need, including the passport.

I have found the best route to follow is birth certificate first, then passport, then SS#, and finally dirver's license. A lot of people don't know that the SS Admin has your gender on file. Driver's license offices now cross check your social security number so in most states (I live in Texas) it is best to have the SS# gender marker changed before applying for the driver's license. They started doing the driver's license, SS# cross checking either after 9/11 or the Patriot Act. A lot of people don't know this is being checked with applying for a driver's license. If you have any questions let me know. I have all docs changed now.

My birth cert is out of Kentucky and they require top surgery only to qualify and this is for MTF or FTM. If you are born in Illinois, they require both top and bottom before they will change the birth cert. So although Clinton has made these changes, which are very welcome, we are still stuck with state requirements for birth certificates and these requirements vary but they almost all require some kind of surgery. I was also told that changing gender on the SS# also varies from office to office and who processes the paperwork. My local office accepted the surgeon's letter and top surgery only. But again, this can vary. We are pretty much subject to state laws and government workers. I got lucky in some areas including the state I was born in. What we need is a federal law and one set of federal guidelines.

Rufus
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Hello- This is true. To obtain a passport you are not required to have surgery. You will need a letter from your doctor stating you are undergoing "treatment" for sexual reassignment. In other words, hormones. The state department does not require anything else in the letter. I recently had my passport changed. I sent them a letter from my surgeon, which they rejected, and had to go to my doctor who prescribes the T for a letter. The state Dept. has this info on their website and states that they do not beleive any government entity should require surgery of a citizen. Its made it easy to get a passport. However, when you go to change things like birth certificates or social security number they want a letter stating surgery has been performed. You also need a male birth certificate when you apply for the passport. So ultimately, you have to have some kind of surgery to get all the docs you need, including the passport.

I have found the best route to follow is birth certificate first, then passport, then SS#, and finally dirver's license. A lot of people don't know that the SS Admin has your gender on file. Driver's license offices now cross check your social security number so in most states (I live in Texas) it is best to have the SS# gender marker changed before applying for the driver's license. They started doing the driver's license, SS# cross checking either after 9/11 or the Patriot Act. A lot of people don't know this is being checked with applying for a driver's license. If you have any questions let me know. I have all docs changed now.

My birth cert is out of Kentucky and they require top surgery only to qualify and this is for MTF or FTM. If you are born in Illinois, they require both top and bottom before they will change the birth cert. So although Clinton has made these changes, which are very welcome, we are still stuck with state requirements for birth certificates and these requirements vary but they almost all require some kind of surgery. I was also told that changing gender on the SS# also varies from office to office and who processes the paperwork. My local office accepted the surgeon's letter and top surgery only. But again, this can vary. We are pretty much subject to state laws and government workers. I got lucky in some areas including the state I was born in. What we need is a federal law and one set of federal guidelines.

Rufus

My husband did not need to have his birth certificate changed in order to obtain the corrected passport. He has all documents (SS, DL, Passport etc.) with his correct gender.

Some states won`t change a birth certificate at all (I think there are three of these).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #19
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
My husband did not need to have his birth certificate changed in order to obtain the corrected passport. He has all documents (SS, DL, Passport etc.) with his correct gender.

Some states won`t change a birth certificate at all (I think there are three of these).
Also, some States won`t issue a new birth certificate but will amend the old one (with the old information still ON the BC).

Not sure if this is up to date but this site has a lot of info on States and Provinces and the changing of a BC:

http://www.drbecky.com/birthcert.html (p.s. Ohio is one of the states that will not change the sex on a BC--haven`t ran across the other one(s) that won`t)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:

Should read--He has all other documents changed (SS, DL, Passport) without having had his BC changed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post: