Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lesbian Butches - Coming home to ourselves....

In the lesbian pride thread, some butches expressed the feeling of wanting to reconcil with their woman/female selves after years of self-estrangement.

So, here is a space to ferret it out for ourselves. I am not sure how best to do this so I will just throw out some ideas to get things rolling.

We might want to talk about how we became self estranged - was it an internal thing, were there external forces at play, was it a combination?

We might also want to talk about how self estrangement feels to us and the impact it had on how we see ourselves.

We might want to address what led us to want to reconcil this part of us and why doing so is important to us.

We might also want to make suggestions on how to reconcil with yourself, what does it involve?

And we might want to express our thoughts on how we envision this reconciliation to enhance who we are.

Feel free to add on here.

I trust the respect and support that developed in the Lesbian Pride thread, from all parts of the community, will continue here.
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Daktari

I will watch with interest. The other lesbian threads have been thought very provoking for a myriad of reasons.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for the thread, Kobi.

WHY LESBIAN ETHICS
by Sarah Lucia Hoagland

"In claiming lesbian focus, I began to notice things I had not noticed when my focus was on men or on women [or, on myself as masculine gendered]. And I found that at this point in time, at least, lesbian existence creates certain conceptual possibilities that can effect conceptual shifts in consciousness." - Sarah Lucia Hoagland

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I should have some idea of where I want this post to go. But I dont. So, what may come will probably be as much a surprise to me as it will be to you.

I never thought to see what I was feeling as an indication of self estrangement. I mean I have always felt female and have always claimed woman. That wasnt my issue.

My issue was more about expressing what female and woman was or could be. I'm 55, life was a whole different ball of wax back then. So, I wasnt estranged per se as much as I just had another vision of reality.

In everyday life, the community I found was one that encouraged women to be whatever and whoever they were. Discussions about lesbian and feminist issues were a big deal. But, I rarely remember discussions about who is a lesbian or what is a lesbian or how lesbians are supposed to look, dress etc. or who fits in the club except in joking ways - i.e. I do not camp. My idea of camping is a fully stocked room at the Marriott. I endured many a ribbing about wtf kind of lesbian was I? Tho, I do remember a few hurricanes where I wished I had those skills and equipment. And, I remember the time my ultra femme but straight landlord showed up to rewire the lamp post in the driveway. She was dressed to kill in a skin tight dress, heels, perfect make up, perfect hair, perfect nails. I, of course, puffed out my chest and went to help i.e. "rescue the lady". It took all of 10 minutes for both of us to conclude I was the most unhandy person on the face of the earth and my butch badge was in serious in jeopardy.

I dont remember any partner of mine who made me feel I wasnt masculine enough or butch enough. I do remember a host of women making it clear I wasnt butch or masculine enough for what they were looking for. But that's different.

My contacts with men and things male was limited to those necessary evils i.e. family, work, friends husbands/boyfriends, neighbors etc. But, my world was women oriented, women filled, women everything. My health professionals were all women, my service people were all women, etc.

As can often happen when you are living your bliss, you get content, comfortable, complacent, and are totally unaware of what is going on around you.

My awareness of female, woman, feminist, butch thing in a whole new way developed from being on this website. Once I got past the shock of wtf are all these men doing here, I was confronted with a new reality that made my internal world go wonky.

Here, as a female, a woman, and a lesbian, I felt threatened and unsafe. As enlightened as one can be, there is always the memory of the patriarchy lingering inside. I was thinking things like it is just a matter of time before these guys take over and macho shitheadness (my all encompassing term for things male) will become the norm. And wth are these women thinking?

It's kind of funny now but it wasnt making me laugh back then. Back then, I was stuck on we have all these zones but no lesbian zone. Hm. I, as a woman and a butch have been lumped in with guys. Hm. I, as a women and a butch, suddenly did not feel I was enough as I was. There seemed to be a masculinity scale thing going on. Hm. I, as a single woman and butch, am competing with men. How the heck does a lesbian compete with men and why would she? Hm. How do I talk to these guys - shouldnt be that complicated but trust me, it was. Hm. Why am I having so much trouble connecting, in the way I am used to connecting, with the women here? Hm. I am surrounded (it seemed) by men who are making me very aware of my femaleness and womanness in a way that is making me uncomfortable. Hm.

It was an internal thing set off by external influences tapping into old stereotypes and histories and setting up new realities and challenges. It took a while to get passed the "I'm too old for this shit" mentality.

But, I learned a lot along the way and am still learning. The men here have been nothing but sweet, nice, pleasant, respectful, supportive and a lot of other nifty things. Even when they do gender based stuff, I know it is not out of malaciousness. And there are plenty of women here ready to deal with it anyway.

For me, being here forced me to revisit myself in a whole new way. It wasnt comfortable or a whole lot of fun, but it has been interesting.

The most important part of it was reconnecting with myself in ways that I hadnt done in decades. Reaffirming my femaleness and womanness has taken on a whole new meaning for me. Being visible as a woman and a lesbian has become very important again. Being involved in the community in a different way has become more important to me.

In some ways it is very simple. In others it is more complex but I dont have the words to explain it. Some of it, I am still trying to figure out. Whatever it is, it feels good. To see others feeling similarly feels validating and reassuring.

Funny thing about being a person. We change, we adapt, we try things on, we find what works, we deal with an endless supply of challenges, we grow, we evolve. And in the end, it is a really all about a journey back to ourselves.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

Thanked 1,378 Times in 461 Posts
OS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Funny that you would start this thread today, for me anyways. I am 54 and I too have always had my woman,female, lesbian self.
Today I found a picture of me in the early 80's. It reminded me that way back then I was searching for the right skin I felt comfy. That picture sure reminded me of the struggles to find out where I fit in.... I look at that picture and boy, was I never gonna fit in as a Femme!
It wasn't long after that that I found comfort in having my masculine side, my Butch came out and I finally was comfortable. Back then, I use to really get upset when I would get a sir, I would say "yanno, I do have boobs" or something blatant like that. Today I just smile and correct them, or not, they figure it out and get just as red.
From 1994 to 2002, when my daughter was in elementary school, I did for my daughter what some consider unthinkable, I again pulled out the dresses for school functions and only school functions. Once she hit intermediate school, it was cool to have a lesbian mom, a butch one at that!
She, my daughter, always accepted me as Butch. It was the outside world that didn't. Now, I don't really care, I am a Lesbian Butch Woman.

OSB...aka Jo or Joan or JJ
OS Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I know this is for Lesbian Butches, but I just have to say...YEAYYY!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

OS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I am sure I didn't see a sign that only Lesbian Butches could come in.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to OS Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

well I am proud to be Lesbain and Butch it has at time been aquward for me finding the ballance and understanding myself soneone once put it to me like this I am a study in contrasts yup I am a female tyvm and I love women and I have a lot of masculine traits to long I thougth I had to be one or the other but finally I get it.. I once looked at pictures with my dad and he was like ok what one is the real you and you know he was right I felt lke the bull in the china shop all girlafied much more at home in my own skin in my jeans boots and hats ahh well one of the things I love about the planet is all the diffrences and all we learn form eachother
I hope to give to my daughter the ablity to feel good in her own skin and I always tell her I love you just as you are
off my little soapbox now just thanks to all the butches femms and the famliy here y'all helped me in the journey called living
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Sing is sistah! Viva la butches ~ woot!
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

I love all things butch, cuz my gf is
LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LipstickLola For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Kobi for this thread. I want to engage in this conversation, however tonight I am just too tired.
Thanks also to everyone participating! I'll be back tomorrow or at some point soon, when I have more energy to offer. Just wanted to send out some good vibes to let ya know this has been seen and appreciated.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
RavynTuqiri

How Do You Identify?:
Butch/Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything but it...
Relationship Status:
Hide n go Seek

RavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST ReputationRavynTuqiri Has the BEST Reputation

Hmmmm....interesting and much appreciated thread!

I agree with Kobi's post...to each their own journey....I think the path's we walk on our individual roads to self discovery sometimes lead us right back to where we started...and that's ok too. Self discovery at times is more about self acceptance.

I came out as lesbian when I was 27....being femme or girlie or anything close was never in the question....I think I was 16 when I wore my last dress.

More recently I have been exploring my more masculine side...and bottom line is through that self discovery was that while I like being this tomboish mixture of female and male...I do not want to be male....

I think sort of like a sliding scale....we slip back and forth until we find a place on the spectrum of sex identity that suits our feelings in that moment....moments change and so does the scale...

I wonder if at times the need to identify as inherently male or female is not just ingrained programming that in society to fit in you have to be one or the other....instead of embracing who we want to be...even if that means being gender neutral or embracing of both our masculine and feminine spirits.
RavynTuqiri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to RavynTuqiri For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
intrigue_in916

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine Lesbian Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
just dont refer to me as a 'YOU PEOPLE' or say'HEY YOU' to me
Relationship Status:
single

intrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputationintrigue_in916 Has the BEST Reputation
Default all things woman!

Kobi,thank you for this thread. Love the positivity, and insecurity. We all learn for one another. Im loving my journey.

Intriguinglyours
intrigue_in916 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to intrigue_in916 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am very proud to be a lesbian butch. This is truely my identity and sexuality. I am woman-identified. I also take pride in being a part of a B-F sub-culture that encoumpasses all identifications, gender and sexualities.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,623 Times in 2,488 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I don’t think I’ve ever felt internally estranged from my female self. I think outside forces conspired to keep me estranged from a female identity. I think borders are patrolled vigorously. I think there is a natural softening, a certain slippage if you will, around borders, around the edges of identities. These areas must be guarded stringently. There is fear, as there is with all borders, that something from the other side will escape across and morph what we know and change the face of our reality. As a society we have a lot invested in maintaining duality. Right or wrong the need appears to be to keep it simple. If you are not male then you are female. If you are not straight then you are gay. There isn’t a whole lot of room for expression outside of the box. And to keep it that way society sets up defenses along the edges of male and female to maintain the borders intact. Of course we have lots of expression outside of the box anyway because people naturally resist boxes unless they personally choose to sit in one. But I think that our infinite variety of expressions and identities often get confused by the seduction of duality. Identity and gender outside of male and female get lost in translation and is often co-opted without our consent by society’s narrow vision.

I’ve thought a lot about this stuff, struggled trying to understand it, understand me, see where I fit, how I fit. I always felt like I was female. I don’t think I ever wanted to be a guy. However, when I was a kid I wanted the freedom that came with being a boy. As I got older I wanted all the freedom that came from being male. I wanted not to have to worry that some creep was going to rape me. I wanted to have a better shot of walking around at night without being attacked. I wanted to be treated with respect and to have my girlfriend be treated with respect when we walked down the street together. I wanted some of those indulgent smiles that young love always gets from straight people. But I did not want to be a straight man.

As a kid I loved running around shirtless in warm weather. My mother put a stop to that by the time I was 6. Whenever I would complain to her that it was too hot to wear a shirt her answer was a halter top. I hated halter tops. I really wanted the freedom to be topless. And I hated looking like a girly girl.

I wanted to be free from needing to get all dressed up like a doll. I hated dresses. The worse day of the week for me was Sunday. Well, it’s kind of complicated to just say that straight out because there were quite a few years of my childhood that I didn’t live exclusively with my parents. The days I was not with my parents were my worse days period. But when I was home the worse day was Sunday because my mother did everything she could to get me in a dress. I complained, begged and pleaded with her to leave me in my jeans. I explained how I couldn’t have my guns strapped on correctly in a dress. But my mother wasn’t moved.

She spent years telling me the things that little girls didn’t do. I remember telling her once that she had to be mistaken because I was a girl and if I was doing it then clearly girls did do it after all.

There finally came a time when she gave up. At that point I believe she unconsciously stopped looking at me as female. My father was always happy to treat me like the son he never had. So now it was unanimous. I was a boy.

I didn’t want to be a boy really. But now I was subjected to the opposite type of coercion. Now if I had to get dressed up for some reason or other, I would get remarks like “what’s with the dress and the make-up you look like you’re in drag.” It was almost as if in order to fit into society’s gender narrative I had to now be seen as a guy. It seemed this was the only way people were comfortable. Okay, if you’re not a girl then you must be a guy. I didn’t want to be a guy. But I couldn’t seem to be a girl, at least not as defined by others.

Talk about feeling estranged from myself, at that time if I could have found some way to have my sex and gender match society’s definition of it, I would have done it. I would have asked to be made female. At least female as defined by the society I lived in. It was like I was one sex and the world insisted I was another because my actions didn’t align with their gender narrative. It was surreal. It still is sometimes. It’s kind of a mind fuck. Even finding enough clarity to explain the way it feels is difficult.

I remember feeling torn a lot trying to figure out exactly what I was. I mostly ignored my masculinity because to me I was a woman, just a woman who loved women, just a lesbian and yet it felt like that was always being negated. It never felt at anytime in my life that the world ever accepted me as a part of the definition of woman.

It’s odd looking back how woman and even lesbian were held just out of reach. But masculine, male, and/or butch were what defined me to others. And while they tried to deny my version of woman, the keepers of gender who decreed I failed miserably at female, thrust a male definition at me and then turned around and were angry at me as though masculinity was a prize I had stolen or a trick I had played when their guards were down. I was loathed for my masculinity in its female packaging. Like it was my idea to be male. So is it any wonder that I held on for dear life to my right to identify as woman, as female. It always felt I was on the verge of having my sex and gender stolen from me. I spent little time ever nurturing my masculinity. It was always about woman for me.

I don’t see this as an internal problem with my self identity but it feels as though I was estranged from myself. I realize it was society’s narrowly defined gender roles causing my estrangement. And it sounds simple when you say oh well, that’s just society’s definition of woman, you don’t have to buy into it. You can define it for yourself. And while that is true enough, you cannot define yourself for anyone else. So it turns out to be a very lonely definition indeed.

One can even say it’s society’s definition of lesbian that causes my alienation from mainstream lesbians. By defining lesbian exactly as someone like me, someone who is female but looks male, society made me a pyorrhea, a danger, the unwitting anarchist in a peaceful revolution. Lesbian is not made up mostly of women like me. Society’s inference that it is has made many lesbians suspicious of butch women. I can and do own lesbian as an identity but lesbian does not care so much to own me. I am a woman. I am a lesbian. I am a butch lesbian. But even in the margins there are margins. The margin that is defined within the margins.

I figured out that I could decide to just define myself however I choose. I can own woman and lesbian as well as masculine and have that mean whatever I wish. I can believe I have expanded gender roles to include me. But how does that actually work out? And can I own feminine at all and ever make it mine when people look at me and see male? Can I be feminine when every move I make, every wardrobe choice, every interest, every intimate interaction, even my very essence screams man to those who see gender in neat tight little packages labeled man or woman? It always felt to me that I was being told if you can’t be a woman the way a woman is supposed to be then you need to be a man. It tore me up. It made me turn my back on a very important and integral part of who I was. It made me dislike the male part of me even while I had no choice but to act exactly how I was, a masculine woman.

It seems to me the world hates masculine women and feminine men. They loathe them. More than anything else masculinity in a female package is taboo and worthy of disgust. As is femininity in a male package.

I spent so much of my life holding on tightly to my female self because it felt like it was always threatened. I felt like someone was always trying to take my feminine identity away from me. I fought so hard for this that I usually ignored my masculinity. It was just there. It was just who I was. But it was also the cause of my self-estrangement. I regarded it with contempt and distrust. Male bad/female good. It’s still such a part of my unconscious narrative.

I think my feminist ideals further complicated my estrangement from myself. I believed being a woman was the best part of who I was. Followed closely by being a lesbian and a feminist. The fact that my masculinity erased most of this in the eyes of others was difficult for me to negotiate. My feminism further alienated me from my masculinity. I don’t mean to say that I hold my feminism or feminism in general responsible for my feelings. Or that I would wish to be or ever will be anything other than a feminist. I just want to clarify that. I love being female, lesbian and feminist. These are the most important parts of who I am. But there is another part of who I am that always seemed most important to the world in general, while just a part of the whole for me. And that is my masculinity.

I remember when I discovered butch as an identity. That fit. I was a butch. I was a butch lesbian feminist. Finally I could be comfortable in my identity. However to everyone else I was still a wannabe man. Nothing really changed. Different day; same shit. I think that discovery affected me deeply because I began to see a pattern here. I looked at the term LGBT community that was being used frequently. I realized I actually couldn’t see myself reflected in totality within any of those. Then I figured maybe queer would define me best. But that didn’t seem to honor my woman lesbian feminist identity.

It’s been an interesting journey. I doubt it is even close to complete though. Identity is an ever evolving aspect of my humanity. Whether the actual identity changes or whether the language used for understanding shifts I cannot say. But I can say that for me, masculinity has always taken a back seat to woman in my understanding of myself. Yet, masculine as defined by society is such an integral part of who I am. Can I really understand myself if I relegate such an important piece of my identity to the back of my consciousness whenever possible? Actually one could easily say that masculine is the face I present to the world. Yet it is the part of me I least understand, the part I least want to understand. It seems a real loss. I think that is where the disconnect is for me. That is the self estrangement. But that estrangement was caused by society’s obsession to define me by what it termed my masculine behavior. And then to despise and loathe me for my insistence on preserving my identity as woman, thereby presenting to the world an example of the much hated female masculinity.

I think if anything got a raw deal it was my masculinity. I think my masculinity needs its day in the sun.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,623 Times in 2,488 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

Just for the record in my above post that was supposed to read pariah. Not the gum disease.

But I guess it works either way. Sort of.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,816 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hope ok to post this here but it seemed an appropriate place

Pre-ordered on Amazon, releasing the end of the month:

When We Were Outlaws (Paperback)
Jeanne Córdova

A sweeping memoir, a raw and intimate chronicle of a young activist torn between conflicting personal longings and political goals. When We Were Outlaws offers a rare view of the life of a radical lesbian during the early cultural struggle for gay rights, Women’s Liberation, and the New Left of the 1970s. 

Brash and ambitious, activist Jeanne Córdova is living with one woman and falling in love with another, but her passionate beliefs tell her that her first duty is “to the revolution” –to change the world and end discrimination against gays and lesbians. Trying to compartmentalize her sexual life, she becomes an investigative reporter for the famous, underground L.A. Free Press and finds herself involved with covering the Weather Underground, Angela Davis; exposing neo-Nazi bomber Captain Joe Tomassi, and befriending Emily Harris of the Symbionese Liberation Army. At the same time she is creating what will be the center of her revolutionary lesbian world: her own newsmagazine, The Lesbian Tide, destined to become the voice of the national lesbian feminist movement.

By turns provocative and daringly honest, Cordova renders emblematic scenes of the era—ranging from strike protests to utopian music festivals, to underground meetings with radical fugitives—with period detail and evocative characters. For those who came of age in the ‘70s, and for those who weren’t around but still ask ‘What was it like?’ –Outlaws takes you back to re-live it. It also offers insights about ethics, decision making and strategy, still relevant today.

With an introduction by renowned lesbian historian Lillian Faderman, When We Were Outlaws paints a vivid portrait of activism and the search for self-identity, set against the turbulent landscape of multiple struggles for social change that swept hundreds of thousands of Americans into the streets.
About the Author
Cordova’s previous books include Kicking the Habit, A Lesbian Nun Story, and Sexism; It’s a Nasty Affair. Her essays appear in numerous anthologies such as Persistent Desire; A Femme Butch Reader, and Love, West Hollywood.
   Product Details
Publisher: Spinsters Ink 
Release date: November 29, 2011
Language: English
Number of Pages: 456 pages 
ISBN-10: 1935226517
ISBN-13: 978-1935226512 ...

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I am not a butch but I am with one.

She is 100% butch and woman. She is what I feel so very comfortable with.We all have our place and journeys but for "me", I am most comfortable being with someone who is happy in her own skin, her own butch skin. She has no desire to be a "he" or transition, and I love that about her.

Yes lets hear it for the OS Butches, I love em!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
I am not a butch but I am with one.

She is 100% butch and woman. She is what I feel so very comfortable with.We all have our place and journeys but for "me", I am most comfortable being with someone who is happy in her own skin, her own butch skin. She has no desire to be a "he" or transition, and I love that about her.

Yes lets hear it for the OS Butches, I love em!
At the reunion someone thought the OS meant I was a computer geek, as in Operating System! LOL! It is nice to know we are appreciated
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OS Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

This is a subject very near and dear right now. Something of what I went through recently, if you can call a period of two years recent. Now I grew up with a high degree of "butch/masculine" tendencies, there is no doubt to that, it was a natural part of my life from day one, likes, dislikes, behaviors, mannerisms... a natural part of my personal progression, direction and growth, still is.

What's not natural, is the stuff you "learn" later, unwanted life events that change you and leave a bit of sludge each time they touch you, that build up and bog down your movement... and pretty soon you're lurching through life with all this crap you carry. It can be a personal trauma/s, or something you see or even when you're young it can be just a word/s, cuts just deep enough to leave a barely visible scar you didn't even see until much later when actually looking.

I think for me, this all kind of bubbled up slowly and I felt like I was in a constant struggle to define internally my gender "identity" for myself, reconcile the pieces that felt fragmented but every time I claimed the female/woman "piece" I literally cringed... pulled back and looked for "something" else, something that didn't make me cringe so much. Through the years, the conglomerate of directions I went with identity, spoke more accurately about who I was than any one days/years idea/feeling or paragraph. I'm very fluid, to that there is no doubt... so one day I had to ask myself- wtf am I doing? Why am I cringing? I didn't always feel this way, I had to look back to things, events in my life that occurred between who I was when I was proud and embraced of every part of me... and forward to who I had become... and exactly how I had learned to be ashamed and hide "it".

I really have no desire to talk right now about the particular events and things, only that I think it's sooo f*cking critical to living a happy, authentic life, that we r-e-a-l-l-y do examine ourselves, those cringes in particular, with a very critical eye. For myself it was a very long process, I desired strongly to experience and express what I knew I was strong and beautiful inside me but always did a smack-down when I felt that desire. You can't be doing that and be truly happy, you can't love yourself while you are simultaneously hating on parts of you. It's taken literally years... to let the little bits of those parts of me in one at a time, inside and outer things... one at a time... going forward slowly, even having to back up a bit at the end until I reached a place of balance and comfort.

I didn't take a different path then was meant for me, just a more difficult trek on that path when trying desperately to side step parts of it. I have deep regrets, I spent over 2 decades progressively stifling and hating on an amazing and beautiful part of myself, maybe the most beautiful complete part even. I feel like I missed so much that I didn't allow myself, moments, experiences... but quite honestly I can't blame myself... for me personally there's just no way until I'd moved far enough along to look back and see the whole picture. I am just extremely grateful I've reached this place of healing and have a new chance... I think many females/women of all types never do.