Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Legal name changes!

Hey, guys. So this past Monday I went to court and got my name changed.

Cool, right?

Well, now I am going through all of the places/companies/etc. I need to contact to get my name changed in their system.

It is a never ending list!

There are places you would never think of...like my civic association. Do I even know how to get a hold of them? No, I just put my $25 in an envelope they stick in my door once a year. I never looked at the address.

Should I call my local auto parts store so that when I go to use my bonus points it is under the right name?

Not that I minded my birth name much, but I know I am going to run into it over and over again in the next 10 years. Coming out is never ending, isn't it?

Monday I was excited. Now I feel swamped with all there is to do.

So, tell us your name change stories here in this thread. It can be about the excitement of the change, or the annoyances that have come along with it!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Male with interesting historical perspective
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Hominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Congrats!! I don't remember how I did everything, but I spent two days labelling envelopes and stuffing them with "the letter" and copies of the name change - the only one that didn't change easily was my last College Alumni Association. That took a phone call. They didn't have as many frequent shopper cards and things then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hominid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hominid View Post
Congrats!! I don't remember how I did everything, but I spent two days labelling envelopes and stuffing them with "the letter" and copies of the name change - the only one that didn't change easily was my last College Alumni Association. That took a phone call. They didn't have as many frequent shopper cards and things then.
Some of the places are requiring me to go in person (which I think is weird). I have the day off tomorrow (by mistake, don't ask), so that is my plan for the day.

Do you know if I can get my college degrees reprinted with the correct name?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Hominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST ReputationHominid Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I've never actually needed my degrees - but they changed my transcripts readily. I never had to go anywhere in person -
The Following User Says Thank You to Hominid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
MrSunshine

How Do You Identify?:
The Gardner
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ummmm
Relationship Status:
Nah

23 Highscores

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,154 Posts
MrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST ReputationMrSunshine Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Do you know if I can get my college degrees reprinted with the correct name?

Yes, with a fee. With transcripts they do an amendment.

Congrats and good luck tomorrow!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSunshine View Post

Hi, Mr. Sunshine. I actually got it done this past Monday (4/20). Thanks for the congrats!

Good to know about the degrees. In my line of work there is an expectation that the degree(s) be hanging in your office. I will add that to the list!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSunshine View Post

Neither of my transcripts (one Texas, one Massachusetts) are amended. They actually changed the name. Obviously, it's up to the institution. Also, this was 13 years ago -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hominid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #8
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

I went around to some places to update my name, including the bank. I am looking forward to getting credit cards with my new name! I can then stop worrying about always having cash on me to pay for things.

I can't believe how long some guys wait to get their name changed. I know one guy, with some serious facial hair, who finally got around to changing his name. He's been on T for 3-4 years.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I went around to some places to update my name, including the bank. I am looking forward to getting credit cards with my new name! I can then stop worrying about always having cash on me to pay for things.

I can't believe how long some guys wait to get their name changed. I know one guy, with some serious facial hair, who finally got around to changing his name. He's been on T for 3-4 years.
The brokerage houses should be easy, but watch out on retitling retirement holdings, some of those can be picky (IRS-wise).

Other than that I bet you get 90% done in a month, 98% within the year. It'll just be weird little things after that. I hadn't thought of degrees though, guess I'm glad I went to college later in life.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Hominid

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Taking Applications

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
The brokerage houses should be easy, but watch out on retitling retirement holdings, some of those can be picky (IRS-wise).

Other than that I bet you get 90% done in a month, 98% within the year. It'll just be weird little things after that. I hadn't thought of degrees though, guess I'm glad I went to college later in life.
I found the key to financial stuff was getting my birth certificate changed ASAP - that allowed me to change my SS card, which was required for my driver's license (in Mass). Changing the birth certificate is dependent on where you were born; oddly enough, I was born abroad (pun intended), and mine issued by the State Department - had it changed extremely quickly under the Bush Administration (signed by Condoleeza Rice!) - I have to say I was surprised at the ease. A copy of old certificate, a doctor's letter with a few key phrases - and the name change form you can download.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hominid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

My new birth certificate arrived in the mail today, another item to cross of my list. I'm pretty excited that I will now be able to get a passport.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
My new birth certificate arrived in the mail today, another item to cross of my list. I'm pretty excited that I will now be able to get a passport.
Congratulations Liam!

It makes me happy to see my fellow transmen accomplishing these type of things!

Albert Einstein
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post

That's great buddy, congrats! I am assuming that CA is one of the states that gives you a "new" birth certificate and not just an amended one?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,908 Times in 1,861 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
That's great buddy, congrats! I am assuming that CA is one of the states that gives you a "new" birth certificate and not just an amended one?

Thanks Dapper! I think California does, I was born in Washington, and I have a new birth certificate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #15
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

I made a list of all the agencies, utilities, memberships, etc. and checked off as I went. Some stuff I forgot about and was reminded when I received mail. For stocks, I had to fill out a form to transfer from myself back to myself (old name to new).

I do like the ease with which I can separate the junk mail now.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #16
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
I made a list of all the agencies, utilities, memberships, etc. and checked off as I went. Some stuff I forgot about and was reminded when I received mail. For stocks, I had to fill out a form to transfer from myself back to myself (old name to new).

I do like the ease with which I can separate the junk mail now.
It is coming up on 3 years since I changed my name. I still get junk mail with the old name, and honestly, it is starting to bother me. It's like...come on already, its been 3 years!!!

I don't think there is anything I can do about it though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #17
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,092 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Dapper, I have been living in the flat I'm in for over 6 years now. I noted that mail for people that didn't live here was being sent to this address, so I notified the senders. Not one - not one single one - took any notice, not advertising agencies, not officialdom, nada.

Weirdest of all is Virgin Media - they started sending advertising to the house to the occupier of flat 6 - there is no flat 6, there's just 5 flats here. So I wrote them, and for three months, no more advertising for flat 6. Then it started again. I give up. It annoys me when I think of all the paper wasted on junk mail though.
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #18
Kosmo

How Do You Identify?:
just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
This seat is taken

Kosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST ReputationKosmo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It is coming up on 3 years since I changed my name. I still get junk mail with the old name, and honestly, it is starting to bother me. It's like...come on already, its been 3 years!!!

I don't think there is anything I can do about it though.
Used to bug me, but now I don’t even need to open junk addressed to old ‘me’. Been about 7 or 8 years (I think).

Hang in there. Eventually it slows to a crawl.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

So I am gathering up all the stuff I need for name change and making lists of all the places; the previous posts are real helpful... definite need my bestbuy points.
Now I was born in New Jersey so to change name is easy all I need is the court order, but then I notice the requirements for changing gender from F to M. I need a form signed by a physician verifying I have had reassignment surgery...not sure what to do but I’m gonna talk to my docs and surgeons and get some forms signed then stroll over to Trenton and turn it in; figure after the person says. “Can I help u sir” there shouldn’t be any questions.
Anyone born in nj deal with this?