Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #41
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hey, Greco

What would you think about asking June to move this to the Conscious living forum. I am thinking that the people who would be most interested in this thread are people who would have an interest (and frequent) that forum.

Everytime I am looking for this thread I always look there...that is where I got this thinking from.

Not trying to tell you what to do, I am just thinking that food is a great topic and that maybe we would reach more people to participate there?

Just a thought!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #42
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
What would you think about asking June to move this to the Conscious living forum. I am thinking that the people who would be most interested in this thread are people who would have an interest (and frequent) that forum.

Everytime I am looking for this thread I always look there...that is where I got this thinking from.

Not trying to tell you what to do, I am just thinking that food is a great topic and that maybe we would reach more people to participate there?

Just a thought!
I think its an excellent idea and agree
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #43
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Documentaries

Dapper, I think your idea of a discussion thread on the Conscious living forum is a good one. I've started a discussion thread there for us to share our ideas, concerns, and most importantly solutions.

This thread will remain a thread for the sharing of documentaries on food, and related issues. No discussion necessary here. My intention is to have a library of sorts for these documentaries. Thinking harder is what these documentaries are all about, hence its location.

Thanks for your suggestion DapperButch.

Greco

Quote:

Just a thought!

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #44
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Greco -

I understand. Thank you for reminding me of the purpose of the thread. Sorry that I posted some not so fitting stuff!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #45
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default from one social worker to another...

No harm done DapperButch. (shaking hands with you)...looking forward to your next contribution here.

Greco

Quote:
Greco -

I understand. Thank you for reminding me of the purpose of the thread. Sorry that I posted some not so fitting stuff!

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #46
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Trailers of Forks Over Knives

These are two trailers for this documentary
which show important information.
When I can upload the full doc will
certainly do that, of course I invite
anyone else who can find
the full documentary to do so.

Forks Over Knives 1

Forks Over Knives 5

The full documentary can be found
on Youtube, Netflix, and Hulu.com

Greco

Old 01-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #47
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Seeding Deep Democracy - Dr. Vandana Shiva

Scientist, activist, author Dr. Vandana Shiva talks about the importance
of saving non-GMO seeds and her concept of 'Earth Democracy.'

Greco

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #48
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I've had the great fortune to hear her speak. She's just an amazing spirit with a very important message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post

Dr. Vandana Shiva with a solution, save seeds.

Greco
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default *WARNING* GRAPHIC, FOR INFO ONLY NOT TO OFFEND ANYONE

Supersize Me Documentary(Full length)

First-time director Morgan Spurlock takes a look at the subject of obesity in the United States, specifically zeroing in on the business and culture surrounding the nation's fast-food industry in this 2004 documentary. In addition to studying the marketing of fast food to American children and unsuccessfully attempting to gain an interview with McDonald's executives, Spurlock attempts to become one of his own subjects by documenting a one-month binge during which he survived only on items from the McDonald's menu, forcing himself to eat three meals a day and try every offering at least once.

This documentary was the first that really started me
thinking about how I fed myself, and its impact on
my health.
In it I focus on how his health declined so quickly, and
recovered after his self-experiment was over. It was
made back in 1995 and I remember viewing it in the theater.

It links up to Forks Over Knives IMO.

Greco

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #50
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default AN EVENING WITH VANDANA SHIVA

And another with Dr. Vandana Shiva

Good evening, Greco

Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #51
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation
Default Michael Pollan

This is one of a series of four videos (all are here) In Defense of Food

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #52
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I always knew tons of perfectly good food is tossed out every day.....but this was shocking because of the visuals.

Food Network

The Big Waste

Tune In:
Jan 14, 2012
4:00 PM ET/PT
Jan 15, 2012
5:00 PM ET/PT

First class chefs Bobby Flay, Michael Symon, Anne Burrell and Alex Guarnaschelli tackle one of the most massive problems in food today - waste! Divided into two teams, with only 48 hours on the clock, they are challenged to create a multi course gourmet banquet worthy of their great reputations, but with a big twist; they can only use food that is on its way to the trash. The chefs' hunt takes them from grocery aisles to produce farms, and orchard lines to garbage piles, as they attempt to source enough ingredients to feed a gathering crowd. Bobby and Michael square off against Anne and Alex, as they challenge their views of food waste and how and why it is created.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Democracy Now

Thanks for posting and contributing to this Food Documentary "library". This is an excellent interview with important information on whats happening with our food on this planet.

In Defense of Food: Author, Journalist Michael Pollan on Nutrition, Food Science and the American Diet

Acclaimed author and journalist Michael Pollan argues that what most Americans are consuming today is not food but "edible food-like substances." His previous book, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, was named one of the ten best books of 2006 by the New York Times and the Washington Post. His latest book, just published, is called In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. [includes rush transcript]

Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
This is one of a series of four videos (all are here) In Defense of Food

Old 01-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #54
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

well this just keep getting worse. I'm so over this fucking government I could scream. In fact I will. No wonder he wasn't pushing the labeling of GMO.

The reality is you better start saving seed now and growing your own food

http://birthofanewearth.blogspot.com...president.html
Old 01-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #55
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Food: A Project Envision Documentary

Food: A Project Envision Documentary

A short documentary on the journey of our food.

"Food" is a 30-minute documentary that follows your dinner from the plate to the field, farm
and ocean.The investigation reveals some surprising facts about the modern food chain. You
may be surprised how far your oranges have traveled, what's in your farmed salmon, and
why your chicken breasts are so large these days.

Greco

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #56
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Food Documentaries

Everyone,

This thread is for the sharing of documentaries on food, and related issues. No discussion necessary here. My intention is to have a library of sorts for these documentaries.

Any food information in the form of videos, trailers, movies, or any other documentary in film form do post here.

The FOOD DISCUSSION thread can be found on the Conscious living forum. I've started a discussion thread there for us to share our ideas, concerns, articles, any other type of food information, and most importantly solutions.

Let me be even more specific, if its not in film form, do not post it here, post it in the FOOD DISCUSSION thread.

If there are any comments to this post, take them to the FOOD DISCUSSION thread and I will gladly respond to them there.

Greco

Old 01-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #57
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Life Again Energy!

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead Extended Trailer

100 pounds overweight, loaded up on steroids and suffering from a debilitating autoimmune disease, Joe Cross is at the end of his rope and the end of his hope. In the mirror he saw a 310lb man whose gut was bigger than a beach ball and a path laid out before him that wouldn't end well- with one foot already in the grave, the other wasn't far behind. FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD is an inspiring film that chronicles Joe's personal mission to regain his health. With doctors and conventional medicines unable to help long-term, Joe turns to the only option left, the body's ability to heal itself. He trades in the junk food and hits the road with juicer and generator in tow, vowing only to drink fresh fruit and vegetable juice for the next 60 days. Across 3,000 miles Joe has one goal in mind: To get off his pills and achieve a balanced lifestyle. While talking to more than 500 Americans about food, health and longevity, it's at a truck stop in Arizona where Joe meets a truck driver who suffers from the same rare condition. Phil Staples is morbidly obese weighing in at 429 lbs; a cheeseburger away from a heart-attack. As Joe is recovering his health, Phil begins his own epic journey to get well. What emerges is nothing short of amazing - an inspiring tale of healing and human connection. Part road trip, part self-help manifesto, FAT, SICK & NEARLY DEAD defies the traditional documentary format to present an unconventional and uplifting story of two men from different worlds who each realize that the only person who can save them is themselves.

Greco

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #58
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I finally saw Forks Over Knives this week. Great film with great information. Here's some of it.

• The average American carries an extra 23 pounds of weight.

• Heart disease and stroke claim the lives of 460,000 American women per year.

• There are 215,000 new cases of prostate cancer per year in American men.

• “We have a growing problem and the ones who are growing are us.” – Katie Couric.

• 40% of Americans today are obese.

• Almost one in five American four-year-olds are now considered to be obese.

• “This could be the first generation of children in the United States that lives less than its parents.” – Richard Carmona, former Surgeon General of the United States.

• “We have an unprecedented amount of type II diabetes in our children, and we are starting to see hypertension in our children in grammar school.” – Richard Carmona, former Surgeon General of the United States.

• About half of all Americans are taking some form of prescription drug.

• We spend $2.2 trillion on health care, over five times the amount we spend on the defense budget.

• We pay more per person for health care than any industrialized country in the world yet we are sicker than ever.

• Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure are all diet-related health issues that cost this country more than 120 billion dollars per year.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #59
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

I think this is fairly new.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/Watch/...zed_Economies/

In 1973, British economist E.F. Schumacher wrote “Small is Beautiful – Economics as if People Mattered”, – a book that offered a vision of an economy driven by a desire for harmony, not greed; an economy based on community and ecological values, not global financial derivatives. In the 1970s, “Small is Beautiful” helped launch a back-to-the-land movement that is the ancestor to the Local Food Revolution of today.

For the last three decades, the E.F. Schumacher Society has transformed Schumacher’s ideas into a series of practical innovations – reinventing much of the local economy of Great Barrington, Massachusetts and southern Berkshire County in the process.

Chris Bedford’s 37 minutes film, COMING HOME: E.F. Schumacher and the Reinvention of the Local Economy tells the story of the Society’s remarkable work that includes founding of the nation’s first CSA, economic development based on Community Land Trusts, and the creation of the nation’s most successful local currency – BerkShares.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #60
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Default Documentaries

This seems an excellent site with many documentaries on food,
and people taking action. Thanks for posting it Sachita.

Greco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
I think this is fairly new.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/Watch/...zed_Economies/

In 1973, British economist E.F. Schumacher wrote “Small is Beautiful – Economics as if People Mattered”, – a book that offered a vision of an economy driven by a desire for harmony, not greed; an economy based on community and ecological values, not global financial derivatives. In the 1970s, “Small is Beautiful” helped launch a back-to-the-land movement that is the ancestor to the Local Food Revolution of today.

For the last three decades, the E.F. Schumacher Society has transformed Schumacher’s ideas into a series of practical innovations – reinventing much of the local economy of Great Barrington, Massachusetts and southern Berkshire County in the process.

Chris Bedford’s 37 minutes film, COMING HOME: E.F. Schumacher and the Reinvention of the Local Economy tells the story of the Society’s remarkable work that includes founding of the nation’s first CSA, economic development based on Community Land Trusts, and the creation of the nation’s most successful local currency – BerkShares.