Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation
Default Kicking the sugar habit

I was recently watching the HBO documentary "The Weight of a Nation." In it, health experts discussed a variety of concerns, one of them being the amount of sugar we drink.

Now, I know that I love my first thing in the morning caffeine fix but I do not drink coffee. So, I choose Diet Dr. Pepper instead.

However, after watching this, I realized that I need to cut out a huge amount of the sugar I drink (mmmm, cran-grape juice) but wondered about other options. Options like: diet soft drinks, tea sweetened with Splenda and Crystal Light pour ins for water.

I know I need to drink more and more water and hope to get there one day but during the transition, what are my best options? I know we have some fitness peeps out there, so come help please?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

in my experience, fake sweeteners are extremely bad for you (speaking from years of a diet coke habit & being around other folks with similar habits). many of them are toxic to our bodies. when i was trying to transition to drinking less soda, i switched to iced tea and limeade with not much sugar, or even just water infused with a lot of fruit. i would definitely not recommend replacing a regular soda habit with fake sweeteners. because of my bad experiences with sweeteners, when i do drink soda now (rarely) i drink real soda...and try to get the kind with actual sugar when i can.

good luck! this is really hard. i hope it works for you!
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
I was recently watching the HBO documentary "The Weight of a Nation." In it, health experts discussed a variety of concerns, one of them being the amount of sugar we drink.

Now, I know that I love my first thing in the morning caffeine fix but I do not drink coffee. So, I choose Diet Dr. Pepper instead.

However, after watching this, I realized that I need to cut out a huge amount of the sugar I drink (mmmm, cran-grape juice) but wondered about other options. Options like: diet soft drinks, tea sweetened with Splenda and Crystal Light pour ins for water.

I know I need to drink more and more water and hope to get there one day but during the transition, what are my best options? I know we have some fitness peeps out there, so come help please?

Hi Laney,

Good for you for trying to cut down on your sugar intake. Some ways to sneak water into your diet are herbal iced teas....so many flavors to choose from, and all can be sweetened w/Splenda or Stevia.
Simple iced water where you add fresh oranges, cucumbers, lemons, limes, berries, mint, ect.
Mineral waters/selters where you can add lite cranberry juice cocktail or any number of lite juices (1/2 of each over ice).
You can also make lite juice "ice cubes" and have those handy to add to plain water, too.

One great thing about water is that it's fairly easy to get creative with.
Hope this helps.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Wonderful goal.....sugar is deadly stuff.

Unfortunately, for me, I've found that the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas make me crave sweets more, not less. Others in the HWL thread have found them to be a huge help....so it's probably a personal body chemistry thing.

I drink a lot of water, black coffee, a little 1% milk, and a whole lot of home brewed iced tea sweetened with agave nectar. Agave is low-glycemic, which means it doesn't spike your blood sugar like sugar, honey, fruit juice, etc. do.

The other good option for me is stevia....a naturally calorie free plant that is very sweet but also doesn't spike the blood sugar.

One of the things I used as I transitioned out of my soda addiction (diet sodas....I'm diabetic), was the Sobe Life Waters. They come in a variety of yummy flavors. Be aware though that only some are zero calorie and sweetened with stevia.....the others are no different from grabbing a soda.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I drink three things (I know..sounds boring) tea (hot and iced), water and coffee. I make iced tea at home and use agave nectar as the sweetner. You can also do that with water. You can add a little agave and fresh lemon juice to give it a "lemonadey" flavor. I also use fresh lemon or lime in my water if I want flavor.

Good luck! It is amazing how much sugar is consumed by drinking.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Amber2010

How Do You Identify?:
Happy, Crazy, Bubbly, Funny, Strong, Outgoing, Friendly
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Complicated

Amber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST Reputation

That is great that you are trying to get sugar under control. We can't stop from having suger heck it is in the fruit we eat but the stuff that we can get away from is a great start. I was in a college class and they were talking about the sweetner in Diet drinks has the same stuff in it that they put into dead bodies so to me that is not a good thing to put into us. Of course coked is used to clean a car battery so I am thinking that really is not something good to put in our system either. I did work hard on training myself to drink unsweetened a lot. I love Unsweet tea with lemon and my coffee is always black. I think the main thing as you said LaneyDoll is to drink lots and lots of water. It takes about two weeks to start this habit to get your mind and body use to it but it is sure worth it.
Amber2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amber2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

What about the Crystal Light pour-ins? Any thoughts on those?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
What about the Crystal Light pour-ins? Any thoughts on those?

Those are artificial sweeteners as far as I know. At one point they had talked about a stevia-sweetened one, but I'm not sure if it ever came out on the market...
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I drink diet soda and crystal light pour ins and Splenda in my coffee and for cooking.

I have been trying to make the switch to Stevia, at least in my coffee.

I really like the idea of lemonade with agave too, I am going to try that this weekend. I would like to replace my diet soda intake, I have tried, but so far have been quite unsuccessful.

Best of luck to you!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Two options of sweetners if you want to stay away from sugar and not die from the toxic stuff of artificial sweetners:

Stevia (truvia) or Agave Nectar.

Otherwise, sugar won't kill you as quickly as the artificial sweetners will, so pick regular Dr. Pepper over diet Dr. Pepper.

Also, Jo mentioned that diet soda makes her crave sugar more. It is true. That is why people see a weight reduction even when they quit drinking diet soda; the person eats less sugar b/c they crave it less...therefore, they lose weight.

ETA: No to crystal light - it is not made from stevia or agave.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
vixenagogo

How Do You Identify?:
unabashedly femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
i prefer being proadverb.
Relationship Status:
single.

Thanked 1,260 Times in 381 Posts
vixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputationvixenagogo Has the BEST Reputation
Default ain't nobody's fizzness.

i have found that when going away from soda (or pop as we would say in michigan)... it wasn't the "sweet" that i missed, but the fizziness.

that's why i enjoy fizzy water- like san pellegrino.

vixenagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vixenagogo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I agree that artificial sweeteners are not the way to go. I'd rather see you drink cane sugar then that any day. The problem with soda is they haven't used real sugar in a very long time. Now it's made with high fructose corn syrup like many sugar drinks and foods. There is a myth that mexico has coke with real cane sugar but I personally have not seen it.

Sugar is a big one for me. I am a huge sugar addict. But I try to drink water daily and a lot of it. I've always been a huge water drinker but I admit I did get into the diet soda trap. But it does make me more hungry and after a while i feel like shit.

Once you start drinking good clean water you're body will begin to crave it. You can try adding lemon, maybe a small dash of agave (which is sweeter then sugar or add a bit of organic raw sugar).

If I was you i would try and stay away from the new milo's and other artificial flavors. Learn to drink and like water. I use a good water filter at home and when I leave the house I bring my water with me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

oh and people can say all they want about agave. I use it in my coffee everyday. I don't have to use very much and I never get the sugar rush I get with other sugars.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

it's not a myth...there are places you can buy imported mexican coke where i live with real sugar, and it definitely tastes better than the kind with hfcs. it's just really expensive.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
it's not a myth...there are places you can buy imported mexican coke where i live with real sugar, and it definitely tastes better than the kind with hfcs. it's just really expensive.
Here you can find real sugar for Mountain Dew, Pepsi and one of those lemon/lime/sprite (but not sprite) type sodas. They are not everywhere those products are sold, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

There have been some studies come out recently that say over time, our bodies start to "see" artificial sweetners as sugar and they affect blood sugar the same. I only drank diet pepsi forever and I am pretty sure it just about killed me. I know it didn't keep me from gaining weight.

I like water with fresh lemons or limes. No sweetener or sugar. Like everyone said, stevia or agave are good if you want sweet.
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedarino View Post
There have been some studies come out recently that say over time, our bodies start to "see" artificial sweetners as sugar and they affect blood sugar the same. I only drank diet pepsi forever and I am pretty sure it just about killed me. I know it didn't keep me from gaining weight.

I like water with fresh lemons or limes. No sweetener or sugar. Like everyone said, stevia or agave are good if you want sweet.
Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Fascinating. Thanks for posting.
Not sure how it all is playing out, but here is a little bit about it:

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/2...on-to-dieters/
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
gay. I'm very happy, thank you!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Chefhmboyrd's seeing eye blonde

Thanked 1,109 Times in 229 Posts
G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We have cut back on sugar in our household, also gluten and dairy, and I have had little to no allergies this year! We also splurge on some local honey.

I think artifical sweetners make you crave more sweetness because your body demands carbs and you instead give it chemicals. You are just fooling your tastebuds. I have heard artifical sweetners aggravate fibromyalga (sp?) so it may be possible those aches and pains you are feeling are from that diet soda.

I refuse to buy bottled water and hate having to buy and carry stuff "to drink". I have a Brita pitcher and refill water bottles. We also get 100% fruit juice and mix it half with water (it's the same exact thing as light.) I honestly am a stickler for buying things "to drink", for a country where everyone gets clean drinkable water piped into their homes we sure blow a lot of $$ on stuff "to drink". Of course, beer is a different story...

I don't recommend anyone try kicking their sugar habit in just one day, try cutting back here and there and hopefully you will find yourself craving it less.
We cut back how much sugar we put in our morning coffee or tea just by using a little less each day, and since we do no dairy we get vanilla soy or almond milk and it had a little sugar in it already.

All of this thread has discussed sugar in what we drink. How about what you eat? I am the person who "reads the lease" so I will read food labels and find a lot of stuff has one thing or another in it to sweeten it...
G Snap! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

OK, a few thoughts I have, based on various replies...

* I actually do like water. But I prefer it COLD!!! And, I do not like it when I eat so I wanted an option for meals. The water in my home is pretty good so I am lucky in that respect.

* I asked about diet drinks b/c I once read that they are actually worse than the sugared drinks.

* I have heard of stevia so I will try to find some of that; agave is probably something I will have to search for.

* I think it is a fizzy thing for me; I find that I crave drinks that are what I call "sparkly."

* Real Coca-Cola from Mexico kicks ass!!! It really does.

* Right now I am focusing on drinks b/c according to what I have found, we as Americans consume about 400 calories per day in just what we drink! Between soft drinks, coffee products and juices. That is huge!

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...