Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Building Community On Butchfemmeplanet.com

Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,170 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i chose Ann Arbor because i was going to graduate school there.

i chose the Bay Area in part because of community (including leather), but also because it was a big city and near the ocean.

Yeah, as i get older, a really good grocery store becomes more important than a good gay bar.

Also, i am happier in my work. That is very enriching. i was bored back in Ann Arbor -- underemployed -- so my social and cultural life was way more important.

i do want a simpler life as i get older. Being near the Important People in my life is the first consideration. Job second. And then i just want peace and tranquility. Nature gives you that. The city -- it's possible, but you have to work at it.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #22
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Converse
There is slim to un of a bf group of any kind hear,the bf'rs I know are all out of town or online,actualy being bf dosnt work well hear at all.In reality if ppl hear think u r a lesbian couple its ok but bf, not so much.I cant tell u how many times I or my date have gotten some off color coments about the bf way of life,such as ..its out of time or really old fashion or some such bs.I did just ignore such comments and move on with life.For a long time I was part of the glbt community hear way more than now,but over time ppl moved or just lost touch in the daily grind of time..plus there is now a huge age factor im 63 and the ppl who are anywhere close ot me in age have just disapered.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #23
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converse View Post
rav- there is a place near where I grew up in Australia, called Amazon Acres- a women’s only land where all male children once they hit the age of 12years have to leave. On the gate leading to the compound is a giant penis with an axe through it.

Now I can tell you, for a packing Butch- that can make you feel mighty uncomfortable. I always moved along extremely fast when I was getting near that gate.

Do you think it is the friendships, or the environment of seeing "your people" just being- that you are looking for?
ok, i don't think i want it that anti-male! i don't hate males at all! *thinking* in fact, now that i think about it...if there are "alternative" communities that aren't quite so exclusive as women-only...that would be an even nicer space for me, i think. i remember years ago Vi Johnson talking about a Kinky retirement village, but i don't believe that has transpired yet.

i've seen a few articles, websites & videos about women-only retirement communities, and i think it's the fellowship aspects, mainly. i've always loved the idea of commune living in general.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #24
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

It's only natural, of course, to seek like minded and bodied individuals as youngsters. It's built into our intrinsic bits and pieces. Every animal is born with this primal urging. Similar company provides warmth on cold nights, shelter from the storm, a higher likelihood of obtaining enough food and safety in numbers.

For me, no matter my age and status in life, that will not change. I am a very social creature and, though I may not go out and party like crazy all of the time, I need personal interaction with voices that come from OUTside of my head.

I've lived in areas of high and low tolerance and acceptance of our community. I feel stifled...smothered even...when I am not able to freely communication, face to face, with other members. It's more than validation (although that can be important) and acceptance (also important); it's an invisible hug that keeps my mental meter running right. It's the communal sigh after a large meal and the weight of breath caught when a group sees and shares something beautiful and brilliant together.

I don't need specific words or actions from members of our community. I just need them to exist and exist near me, where I can see them, feel them, hear them at will.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

I came out in an area with almost no gay community at all, then I moved to the "big city" that seemed like a gay mecca to me. In reality, the community was only slightly larger but much more active so it seemed to me, based on my reference points, as this huge thing. I was very involved on many different levels for a very long time. Almost every night of the week I was at some meeting or function or event. Weekends revolved around the groups I was a member of and bars where I hung out. This went on for more then 15 years.

I remember how we often talked about what it would be like to live in a place with a thriving community and how much fun we had visiting Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Even though we had a lot, it was always a little disappointing to go home.

Seven years ago, I left that town and moved to the Seattle area. I can count on one hand the number of times I've stepped foot in a queer bar since I moved here. The majority of my socializing is done with straight people I know from work. I have never been to Seattle Pride.

I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I just got so burned out but I'm really enjoying my lack of community involvement right now. That may change at some point, and I'm grateful that I have such an amazing community so close by, but these days I'm not really feeling the need for much more then my easy chair, laptop and the TV remote.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
It's only natural, of course, to seek like minded and bodied individuals as youngsters. It's built into our intrinsic bits and pieces. Every animal is born with this primal urging. Similar company provides warmth on cold nights, shelter from the storm, a higher likelihood of obtaining enough food and safety in numbers.

For me, no matter my age and status in life, that will not change. I am a very social creature and, though I may not go out and party like crazy all of the time, I need personal interaction with voices that come from OUTside of my head.

I've lived in areas of high and low tolerance and acceptance of our community. I feel stifled...smothered even...when I am not able to freely communication, face to face, with other members. It's more than validation (although that can be important) and acceptance (also important); it's an invisible hug that keeps my mental meter running right. It's the communal sigh after a large meal and the weight of breath caught when a group sees and shares something beautiful and brilliant together.

I don't need specific words or actions from members of our community. I just need them to exist and exist near me, where I can see them, feel them, hear them at will.
Gemme

I really enjoyed reading your post – it resonated with me. Thank you

I think one of the key differences that exists within this thread is that some are living in places where homophobia is so blatant that they are forced to be closeted or risk alienation and even physical harm as opposed to others where although they may not be in a location where there is a predominant “community” they can still find it if they wish and are able to live without compromise.

I think that is one of the areas that sites like this have helped. In locations where physical buildings don’t exist, the sites create a virtual community drop in centre, coffee shop, bar, etc, so that others within accessible proximity can be found. I think the success of these sites support the argument that community is important.

But I wonder if having these sites will over time, replace our need to relocate and cluster geographically. Do you think that the want to find like minded people who can provide “interaction with voices that come from OUTside” could be someday completely satisfied through on-line communities alone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Converse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Converse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST ReputationConverse Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayla View Post
I came out in an area with almost no gay community at all, then I moved to the "big city" that seemed like a gay mecca to me. In reality, the community was only slightly larger but much more active so it seemed to me, based on my reference points, as this huge thing. I was very involved on many different levels for a very long time. Almost every night of the week I was at some meeting or function or event. Weekends revolved around the groups I was a member of and bars where I hung out. This went on for more then 15 years.

I remember how we often talked about what it would be like to live in a place with a thriving community and how much fun we had visiting Austin, San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Even though we had a lot, it was always a little disappointing to go home.

Seven years ago, I left that town and moved to the Seattle area. I can count on one hand the number of times I've stepped foot in a queer bar since I moved here. The majority of my socializing is done with straight people I know from work. I have never been to Seattle Pride.

I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I just got so burned out but I'm really enjoying my lack of community involvement right now. That may change at some point, and I'm grateful that I have such an amazing community so close by, but these days I'm not really feeling the need for much more then my easy chair, laptop and the TV remote.
gayla,
I have also been in similar shoes (well boots cuz I don’t often wear shoes, perhaps that’s a different thread)- submerged so much in the community that after a time it can feel stifling. What is interesting as that if you step out and away, you are suddenly reminded that the whole world actually doesn’t think like you- I mean we know from an intellectual level, but if all of our interactions are with like- minded people it becomes easy to forget that you actually aren’t the “norm”.

As a side note, I also discovered that when straight women congregate that their key topic of conversation is how horrible men are

You say that you're socializing, by choice, is now predominantly with straight people. Do you find an occasional hankering to spend time with people/persons who can see the world through similar eyes, can relate to your experiences, history? And if so, do you think that you have satisfied that need through sites like this, and hence haven’t felt the need to find it in R/T?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #28
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Gemme

I really enjoyed reading your post – it resonated with me. Thank you

I think one of the key differences that exists within this thread is that some are living in places where homophobia is so blatant that they are forced to be closeted or risk alienation and even physical harm as opposed to others where although they may not be in a location where there is a predominant “community” they can still find it if they wish and are able to live without compromise.

I think that is one of the areas that sites like this have helped. In locations where physical buildings don’t exist, the sites create a virtual community drop in centre, coffee shop, bar, etc, so that others within accessible proximity can be found. I think the success of these sites support the argument that community is important.

But I wonder if having these sites will over time, replace our need to relocate and cluster geographically. Do you think that the want to find like minded people who can provide “interaction with voices that come from OUTside” could be someday completely satisfied through on-line communities alone?
Thank you, Converse.

I agree. Many of our community members are unable to find and/or celebrate with like minded and bodied souls because of geographical locations and the prejudice that is rampant in many areas.

I think that many do, at this time, feed their need for interaction through the net and they are satisfied with that connection. That would not work for me, though. The problem I see with that is, in the process of expanding their horizons and reaching out to others via the internet, they are actually shrinking their personal social circle....their one to one interactions. I don't think that that is healthy, emotionally, mentally or psychologically.

Sure, there are some of us who do just fine with little to no interaction with people for a while, but over long periods of time I feel that could be detrimental. The swapping of internet communication for personal interaction is a soulless exchange and cannot leave a person untouched. Parts of their humanity would wither away over time, I feel.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #29
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Thank you, Converse.

I agree. Many of our community members are unable to find and/or celebrate with like minded and bodied souls because of geographical locations and the prejudice that is rampant in many areas.

I think that many do, at this time, feed their need for interaction through the net and they are satisfied with that connection. That would not work for me, though. The problem I see with that is, in the process of expanding their horizons and reaching out to others via the internet, they are actually shrinking their personal social circle....their one to one interactions. I don't think that that is healthy, emotionally, mentally or psychologically.

Sure, there are some of us who do just fine with little to no interaction with people for a while, but over long periods of time I feel that could be detrimental. The swapping of internet communication for personal interaction is a soulless exchange and cannot leave a person untouched. Parts of their humanity would wither away over time, I feel.
I totally agree with this. It is hard when the only social interaction is with straight people. Not that they are "all that bad" lol. It's the feeling of connection and comradery that is missing. It is a struggle to keep grounded and it gets very lonely.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #30
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I felt the need to be part of a community when I first came out. I immersed myself in everything lesbian.

It wore off tho. The more I know who I am and am comfortable with it, the less need I have to be part of a group.

Now, I just prefer to fit in and live peacefully.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
Converse

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Married

2 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
I felt the need to be part of a community when I first came out. I immersed myself in everything lesbian.

It wore off tho. The more I know who I am and am comfortable with it, the less need I have to be part of a group.

Now, I just prefer to fit in and live peacefully.
Kobi,
This is something I understand, though I’m wondering whether you think that you would be more inclined to look for community if sites like this one didn’t exist, or do you believe that having any kind of interaction/connection with community is simply no longer important to you anymore?
Also are you living somewhere that doesn’t require you to compromise in order to “fit in”?
The Following User Says Thank You to Converse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #32
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Converse,

Interesting questions.

I never felt I had to compromise to fit in here. Yes it is a more accepting area then others might have to deal with. Once I was comfortable in my own skin, I just took partners with me to family and work functions because it seemed normal to me to do so.

I never had the need to be an "in your face queer" nor did I like associating with those who did. Being queer wasnt how I defined myself, it was and is just one part of who I am.

On line communities are nice to visit but they dont take the place of real time human interaction for me. It is more rewarding to be sitting across from someone talking then it is to type to someone.

It is more important to me to find people I can connect with in a meaningful way. Their gender or orientation doesnt seem to phase me anymore. The energy of women is more comfortable to me but I have met some intriguing people who arent lesbians or female.

[/I]
Quote:
Kobi,
This is something I understand, though I’m wondering whether you think that you would be more inclined to look for community if sites like this one didn’t exist, or do you believe that having any kind of interaction/connection with community is simply no longer important to you anymore?
Also are you living somewhere that doesn’t require you to compromise in order to “fit in”?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #33
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

You say that you're socializing, by choice, is now predominantly with straight people. Do you find an occasional hankering to spend time with people/persons who can see the world through similar eyes, can relate to your experiences, history? And if so, do you think that you have satisfied that need through sites like this, and hence haven’t felt the need to find it in R/T?
I guess I really don't see it as not relating to my experiences. Most of the people that I spend time with, whether queer or straight, have enough similar experiences and shared history on some level that I don't feel like an outsider. My life has changed a great deal and along with that how, and with whom, I spend my free time has changed. I enjoy spending time with people who understand my sense of humor, get the inside jokes and that I have a shared history with. They don't have to be queer to have all of those things.

The truth is, they do see the world through similar eyes and they can relate to my history and experiences because my history and experiences are much, much more then just being queer. Probably the most important thing I've learned over the years is that all these people that I used to see as being so different from me, really aren't.

I don't know if I'm really explaining this as well as I want. I don't feel a lot of separation in my life anymore. When I spend time with people in real life, I don't pretend to be anything other than what I am.

I'm fortunate to be in a position now where I don't have to get up every day and go to a "job" where I'm forced to interact with people that I may not like or get along with or that may not like me for no other reason than because I'm queer. I work with some really amazing people. I have really amazing clients. I have really amazing friends. Most are in more then one of those groups.

So it's not like I spend all day having to pretend to be someone else to the point that I want to go hang out with the queers at night just to relax and be myself.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 04:13 AM   #34
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

this is an interesting topic!

i am extremely introverted person. i have never been part of any community and if so it was straight folk.

a few years ago i met someone who was BIG in the gay community in New Orleans. We could not go anywhere, where she didn't see anyone. The parties, OMG someone was always having one. It was tight night and i admired that they were so close, and a bit jealous that they could get to together in person. Much like our Reunions only on a smaller scale.

These people were her chosen family, her family kicked her out at 17, and she was embraced the community, and 40 years later she is still actively among them. When we met, i was overwhelmed with the gay folk! GREAT i thought, this will help me get out there.

Then i realized they were all gay folks, but not B-F. Hell we were not B-F. yes there were some butch women, but mostly just two women in a relationship. i need to talk to my femme sisters to feel i am among *family*.

i tried to stay away from THIS community and all online forums because i wanted to live in the "real" world.

Well this community is my real world and i feel much more at home posting on forums and making connections long distance than i did in a community of hundreds of queer women.

i am thankful we have this connection here.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: