Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Parenting

Parenting This area is for discussing parenting, adoption and anything related to raising our kids!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default It was a "proactive" measure.

Kid wasn't even bullied yet. Maybe the teachers should have a little more trust in their students. The kid may not have even been bullied!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...6pLid%3D120447

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
greeneyedgrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme/queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her

Thanked 3,267 Times in 835 Posts
greeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputationgreeneyedgrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Kid wasn't even bullied yet. Maybe the teachers should have a little more trust in their students. The kid may not have even been bullied!
ugh.... it sounds like if this was preemptive and (really even if it wasn't) anti-bias education would have been a much better solution. my preschool kids kids are capable of understanding it... i think middle schoolers can too (thought it may take more repetition with them because they've had a longer time to solidify biases).

the idea is to challenge forming or formed biases with examples that show another way of thinking about it. in effect it's teaching critical thinking. i think that it's more time consuming and takes more work, (not much as it is interwoven into teaching/teaching style) but the pay off (children and citizens who accept others differences and can see commonalities) is well worth it.

i had to really fight for this at my daughter's school. even with free training... it just makes so much more sense than to me than zero tolerance where there are punishments and consequences but no real teaching and therefore no real change.
greeneyedgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greeneyedgrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

First we're mad because schools do nothing, then we're mad when schools do too much.

I agree children should make the decision on their own to whom they come out to, but schools have an obligation to keep students safe. Not saying anything to a parent because of the volitale nature of coming out continues to make it seem there is something to be ashamed of. Helping a student tell his parents and giving support to the whole family might lessen the stigma attached to coming out.

My gut reaction to the schools response is that their hearts were in the right place. The environment for LGBT children is changing very quickly. It is unchartered territory for schools.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #24
persiphone
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
on a hedonistic hiatus

Thanked 1,565 Times in 380 Posts
persiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputation

as a parent, i would want to know. bottom line. and if the kid outed himself, then it's not really much of a secret. also, it's not like this was a kid that was pregnant. being gay doesn't require any action taking decision making that could affect that person's entire rest of their lives. i really doubt that a 14 year old is going to out himself if there was a fear of being thrown out of his house, let alone make posters about it as school projects.

also as a parent, any school my son attends gets a forewarning from me that should my son get hit, not only will he not get into trouble at home for hitting back, but i will also be filing assault charges. i don't tolerate bullying even on the minor levels. for me, as a single parent, bullying is one of those traps that could get my son killed so it's not negotiable for me. and should a problem arise, i'm down at that school raising holy hell. if my son is being bullied i force the school to document every incident and every time i have to go down there raising above mentioned holy hell.

lastly, we have straight chicks in junior high giving blowjobs to the football team. 'gay' should not really be a shocker at school in light of the often absurd sexual experiences our kids are exposed to there. i've made it my mission to enlighten my son on levels of sex that might make some adults blush. he may be the only male in the entire building that knows what a clitoris is and what it does. if you take the veils away there will be no surprises. i'm of the school of thought that thinks....who cares what your orientation is? who cares if you know what a condom is? why are these still being discussed under the guise of morality? who gives a shit. pisses me off. but, *sigh*, i know this is just in my bubble and that the rest of the world still wants to debate over the morality of sexual bits and all that that entails.

still. as a parent....i'd want to know. (as if i wouldn't already know. meh)
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to persiphone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 AM   #25
GretaGable

How Do You Identify?:
Xena femme
Relationship Status:
Single

GretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST ReputationGretaGable Has the BEST Reputation
Default It happened to me

As part of a high school English class I wrote a semi-romantic poem about a female movie star; without my knowledge or consent my teacher called my mom. Mom wasn't angry but was more worried, devastated and upset than I'd ever seen her; I denied everything, went to my room and pondered what would be the least painful way to kill myself. Thankfully little Greta was too chicken to try anything, which is why grown Greta is here, writing this post.

If those educators were concerned about bullying they should have been monitoring the way that other students treated the kid and intervening when needed. Contacting the parent was not needed.
GretaGable is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GretaGable For This Useful Post: