Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #81
Stoney

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch lesbian feminist Crone
Preferred Pronoun?:
Wicked Witch
Relationship Status:
happily content

Stoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST ReputationStoney Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryn View Post
WOW. It sounds like you think there is only one definition of butch on this site and I bet there are well more than half a dozen. It sounds like you want one definition of butch that matches how you see yourself as butch. It's never been that way for as long as I can remember and that's more than 35 years of being OUT.

Well it sounds to me that Kobi is merely trying to open her mind to the differences and take them in. because someone relates to something particular doesn't mean they shun the rest.

I see Kobi's posts as a person who is trying to understand differences and more ( forgive me Kobi )up to the times .

I don't believe that just stating the things about herself and her feeling deserve an accusation of exclusion.

In all honesty and I have said this before back ten years ago when I joined B-F ( the other) I honestly found it looking for womyn only site.
In my personal life, I did not think too much about identity, in fact I knew next to nothing about trans gender people. this doesn't mean I don't care about them, or disapprove, or think they shouldn't be on butch-femme website, I just never really gave it much thought. I have been wrapped up into being a lesbian and a feminist for a long time now so that is the history I studied and what I related to.

I have been reading this thread and I have to say we defend what we know and we reach to learn more,, that is what I see Kobi doing here.
Trying to understand , Trying to expand her understanding while holding on to her root beliefs,
Every one has there own experience in this life, I entertain the thoughts of things that resonate with me...that help make-up who I am. I am learning everyday that there are all different kinds of people besides me.

It's like never studying about giraffes, but you have done major research on zebras. I can only relate to giraffes according to what I know about Zebra's and what the two may or may not have in common.

It doesn't mean I don't like giraffes, it doesn't mean I feel threatened by giraffes, it doesn't mean I don't want giraffes in the Zoo cause I never knew anything about giraffes......

Because I don't know anything about giraffes I may ask people about giraffes, I may ask the giraffeabout himself,what he likes or doesnt, what he wants.... how to care for him.

He might just get pissed off at me and tell me I must not like him, and dont want him around , claim I only like one Zebra's because I know more about zebras.... and accuse me of being prejudice against girraffes
When I try to explain I only had time to learn about Zebras because I have been around only zebras and it wasnt that I never cared about girrafes it was that I had to make time for Zebras because I live my life among Zebras.

Eventually if the girrafes go on long enough about how careless and selfish I am for not knowing how to care for them, I might just leave the whole damn Zoo,

I never heard much about giraffes but apparently they seem to get pissed off and accusatory if you havent read the manual before you engage with them.

I want to expand what I know about people, because trans-gendering hasnt interested me, I know little about it, that doesnt me mean I am not supportive, It means I have been busy learning and creating the life that directly relates to me. I try to know a little about alot of things and alot about a few things......

I think most of us are like that.
lack of interest does not equal
bias or dislike.

Peace to everyone......

Stoney
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #82
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

These are just some observations I am making about the discourse in this thread.

It seems that some folks, the admin of this site included, view this site as an umbrella for a very broad spectrum of people who identify as part of the femme/butch/trans/queer/lesbian/gay/inter-sexed/and even questioning community. I think I fall in to this particular group. Maybe it's my lifelong work in politics and always trying to build a bigger tent of acceptance in many different communities across society that makes me proud to be able to traverse in this online community and generally feel acceptance and tolerance -- more so than I do in my offline life, frankly.

It seems that there are some folks on this site, such as Kobi, whom I admire so much for speaking her truth and for putting it out there. These folks, it seems, want to find that comfortable space in a larger community and who have very specific things they are seeking in that space.

Truth be told, I think this site serves both. What I find comforting about this space is that it is run by two of the more open-minded and accepting people I know. There are no rules of identity here. Which is one of the things I like. But I do think there are rules related to respecting each other's i.d. I've not always found that to be the case in online communities similar to this one. And there are some online communities that don't speak to diversity at all, and I could not be a member of those communities because of that.

I am saddened that some people expressed they don't feel comfortable in some "zones" on this site. I tend to walk between two zones here -- butch and trans. I cannot fully embrace one as much as I embrace the other because for personal and career reasons I choose not to fully transition. Nonetheless, I have not been derided or made to feel uncomfortable by any FTM on this site.

I do believe there is room for all on this site. I think we can work together as a community to self-police issues such as respect, acceptance and making people feel welcomed and valued. I feel the site owners already do a fine job of that, and it is incumbent upon all of us to share in that mission.

Jake
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #83
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
Thank you explaining this but I still dont get it. This approach is all new to me, I dont know the vernacular and what it means. I have been out of the loop for 20 years. Someone says third gender and Im like there is a third gender?

And Im not trying to be a bitch, Im trying to understand something and everytime I think I got a piece of it, I realize I dont.

When you say butch, femme, and trans are the gender categories that this focuses on and the rest of us are lumped into queer....I have a problem with that. You can categorize your site anyway you want lol, Im just trying to put the pieces together so I understand what ya'll are talking about. I dont know if I fit here. Im trying to figure that out.

The larger community everyone seems to point to is the GLBTIQ one. So gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, trans, I dont know what I is and Queer. I dont see femme or butch here. I do see lesbian and trans.

Femmes are a gender? Butches are a gender? And lesbians are what? Other? Miscellaneous?

It is your site, you can define it anyway you like. But to me, to say butch, femme, trans are the genders we deal with and the rest of you are a fruit salad seems sexist and misogynistic and misandriatic (I think thats right), and homophobic to me. It doesnt feel like those of us in the fruit salad are seen on an equal par with the rest of the identities that we are supposed to respect, accept, tolerate, and maybe honor.

And if you wished to cater to butch-femme-trans genders why not call it that? I would not have joined that cuz Im not a butch-femme-trans.

On the one hand, I hear we need to be excepting of all id's, male, female, butch, femme, male id, female id etc but we decided to categorize you so you cant easily self identify even tho we want you to but it doesnt fit the plan so dont ask questions cuz it doesnt make sense but that the way it is.

Again, I am trying to understand something that is not making sense to me. This is not computing and maybe it wasnt meant. Maybe I just dont belong here. Cuz no one is gonna tell me I, as a lesbian, must fit myself into preconceived notions. That is homophobic.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I will be 58yrs old the end of June. I feel you on this. About 10 years ago (after my 16 yr marriage broke up) I entered the butch/femme community again.........online at the dash site. I have always been butch and always been woman and always been a lesbian/dyke.

Frankly I was horrified and baffled and not understanding what had happened to 'my community'.....Male pronouns as default for butches....transmen who identified as straight.....butches who id'd as male....the list goes on.

It was a struggle at first. I had to learn new things. The first being gender as something other than biological sex of female and male.

I got my ass chewed up and spit out more times than I can count. I stuck it out and listened and learned. It was damn hard to open my mind and understand a new way of talking about butch/femme.

One thing I did find to be crucially important. In this new world there seemed to be this sense of butch=man. I wanted young butches coming out to know they could still be a woman and be butch. It was ok and they are not less than. There was a time on the dash site when I was the ONLY butch who insisted on female pronouns.

Now we have this new home on the Planet. Here things are truly different. There is a lesbian zone....it came about because it was asked for. The butch zone has room for all us butches, not just the butch brothers. There is a pronoun place in your profile so each us can use respectful pronouns. There is transparency and accountability on the part of Medusa and Jack. This Planet is growing and changing for the better. This Planet is growing and changing for the better.

Kobi my sister....read with an open mind. I know the knee jerk reactions you are having. I had them and once in a while still have them. What I have learned and gained from listening and learning is a broader community and a greater sense of understanding of my fellow queers. My butch brothers have as much right to be here as my butch sisters. Transmen and Transwomen belong here. They do not dilute my community, they enrich it.

The presence of a broad spectrum of gender identity gives folks coming out a place where they can grow and learn about who they might be. It was a struggle to understand this and I still have trouble on occasion.

Feel free to PM me at anytime and I am glad to talk to you about this. Like I said........I feel ya........I've been there.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #84
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

June

I dont think people were refusing to continue to be engaged. I, personally, was exhausted LOL and had much new information to sift through.

I learned a lot yesterday about how the community has evolved over the years, and remember conversations I had with pioneers before me and how much easier I had it because of the fights they fought.

And, I remembered that we all hear things and speak from unique places and frames of reference that can change at any given moment i.e. am is something I am hearing being filtered thru my woman frame of reference or my lesbian frame or reference or my activist frame of reference or whatever. Communication is a very complex and intricate beast.

And I began seeing people here in a different light. Some who have rubbed me the wrong way in the past, I began to see with a different set of eyes.

Like you, I saw a lot of personal honesty being brought forth and a lot of respect being given for that honesty.

Evolution is a funny thing whether it be on a personal, societal, or worldwide basis. We go two steps forward, one back, on and on, over and over until we stop and look back and see how each step of the way brought us to the reality we have today and is leading us to create the reality of tomorrow.

Sometimes I wonder, when I am sitting in the sunroom of the butch-femme-trans nursing home, what I will be seeing as the reality of the day and what the process of how we got there would look like.

Maybe this is a collective breath break while we mull the direction in which the conversation will proceed. I have faith that it will.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #85
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I went to bed really sad and frustrated last night because I see people stubbornly refusing to engage further because their way isn't the agreed upon "Right Way". As if we all don't get to choose our own paths to identity. As though they must all be the same path and the destination must be reached at the same time or everything is just hopeless and will "Never Change".

I saw two really significant changes occur yesterday. One was Kobi asking questions and being listened to and answered in really thoughtful, respectful ways, the other was a post made by Gayla late last night where s/he acknowleged that s/he has been guilty of defaulting to he/him for Butches, why s/he thought that happened and how even though change was hard, all of these conversations had made her think, and s/he was committed to change.

And also, I saw people breaking down their personal facades and disclosing behaviors that they personally thought of as masculine/feminine that they did or didn't do. Frankly, I was humbled by that.

Sure, we can rail against the fucking patriarchy and society at large for automatically assigning us "Jobs" according to our birth sex. Girls play with dolls, boys play with trucks, masculine = male, feminine = female. It's easy to act disdainful and dismissive of people who have bought into that, much easier than trying to understand why people, Queer people do that. How so many of us are trying to do the best we can to fit in, find love and get laid.

And how do we do that? We try on different clothes, attitudes and personalities till we find a combination that fits us. One of the things I rail about all the time is how Femme is personal, it is not one way. It is not, for all of us, high heels, fishnets, cleavage and lipstick. I'm sorry, it's just not. For some Femme's, it is, but that is not the only way to "Do" Femme. Some Femme's don't wear makeup. Some Butches (Hi, Met!) do wear eyeliner. Met's eyeliner, which I have witnessed up close and personal, does not make her less Butch to me. It's fucking eyeliner, and that does not define her Butch-ness. But I know, there are people on this site, Butch folks who will say "Oh, I would never wear makeup of any kind!" As if the act of doing that could erase them or make them less than because they percieve it to be feminine, and they think for them, feminine is bad. And yeah, that's kind of infuriating. In the same way (for me) it's infuriating when I see Butch and Trans folks taking on what I think are the very worst of the masculine traits i.e intense objectification of women based on appearances, excessive swagger and bravado or the denial of what I think of as natural human traits. Boys don't cry? Bullshit.

Having a name like Rose (Hi, Massive!) instead of Rodney, does not make someone less Butch. And yet, how many Butch folks, both male and female ID'd will "Butch up" their names? So, are there degrees of "Buying into it"? Who gets to decide how far is too far, how much makeup is too much or too little?

I have some thoughts, sparked by Kobi yesterday on Feminism, and how far we stray from our collective roots -- How we can forget that part of the reason we can all be here either having this discussion, or walking away from it, is because of the women (and men) who have been in the trenches for decades fighting for social justice so that even though it's still really hard and a huge struggle to own our identities, it's easier for us than it was for them.

I'm a Feminist and a Femme. I understand many of us are stuck in a binary hell based on assumptions that this=this, but I am not willing to throw people or communities away because not everyone thinks the way I do. I don't get that part at all. I think it's worth it, even if there are only small changes.
Goddammit June-y

And thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #86
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

I never ran across this thread until tonight. Yes, I have felt at times as if there were "gender wars" going on among various I.D.'s in the LGBTQI community. I am sure at times I have said things that were offensive to some. It was not necessarily intentional. It may have been my pure ignorance.

Also there have been many times I felt "erased." There seems to be this assumption that most butches come from an identity of being a woman. That is not the case for all butches. I am a butch that has always felt different from the women lesbians. Most of my adult life has been surrounded with and supported by lesbians, femmes and some butches.

My "identity" in many areas has evolved through out my lifetime. Not necessarily a notion that my ID now is superior to my previous ID's. Different and more accurate for me.

I no longer will go into "women identified closed spaces." Not because I do not know and acknowlege I was born in a female body, was see by most of the world and socalized as a masculine woman for the greater part of my life. I stay out of those spaces because I believe I would not be welcome now. I am not saying it is wrong. I am just giving my perspective. I do not see myself as male. I do see myself as masculine and a mix of genders. I really no longer believe there are only two genders, the binary. Some do, I don't.

I love, respect and admire women very much. My heros are women of all genders. Yes, I see butch as a gender. I am in part a woman but not entirely. Bare with me please. I am processing, figuring it all out, again. I do strive for the larger welcomig tent.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #87
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

Bleh. I hunted around for the best place to post this, searched and all that crap. Now, I'm bored and this absurd hurricane is giving me a wicked headache. Here it is:

This seemed like the best thread to raise this issue. I do not mean to offend anyone's sensibilities, but the words "c*ck" and "c*nt" are words that I use affirmatively. I use the "*" symbol here so as not to offend.

Butch c*ck is something so very personal. It must have a billion differing meanings, and implications across the community.

Sometimes, it is so super visceral for me, so real, a pseudo-phantom appendage. I never sense b*lls per se, it is just the c*ck sensation. When I am turned on, I feel it spring to life. A sudden volitile stiffening, rising throughout me, expanding inside and outside of me. It seeks release, attention, acknowledgement and sometimes asks, no, demands, satisfaction of one sort or another.

Yet, I do not ID as male at all. Not in the sense that I think most male IDed folks here mean the term.

What is it like for other butches out there? Might you share your experiences?

Last edited by Reader; 08-27-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #88
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Bleh. I hunted around for the best place to post this, searched and all that crap. Now, I'm bored and this absurd hurricane is giving me a wicked headache. Here it is:

This seemed like the best thread to raise this issue. I do not mean to offend anyone's sensibilities, but the words "c*ck" and "c*nt" are words that I use affirmatively. I use the "*" symbol here so as not to offend.

Butch c*ck is something so very personal. It must have a billion differing meanings, and implications across the community.

Sometimes, it is so super visceral for me, so real, a pseudo-phantom appendage. I never sense b*lls per se, it is just the c*ck sensation. When I am turned on, I feel it spring to life. A sudden volitile stiffening, rising throughout me, expanding inside and outside of me. It seeks release, attention, acknowledgement and sometimes asks, no, demands, satisfaction of one sort or another.

Yet, I do not ID as male at all. Not in the sense that I think most male IDed folks here mean the term.

What is it like for other butches out there? Might you share your experiences?

Hey, Hunter. I think this is a good topic. One that has come up before in this community, but I am not sure that it has been discussed on this specific site.

I think that the butch zone would be a great place for this topic. How about starting a thread over there? You can just cut/paste part of the above. I think it will get a lot more traffic there.

ETA: I meant start a thread on it in the butch zone (I didn't realize this particular thread was in the butch zone). I think this topic warrants its own thread.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #89
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Hey, Hunter. I think this is a good topic. One that has come up before in this community, but I am not sure that it has been discussed on this specific site.

I think that the butch zone would be a great place for this topic. How about starting a thread over there? You can just cut/paste part of the above. I think it will get a lot more traffic there.

ETA: I meant start a thread on it in the butch zone (I didn't realize this particular thread was in the butch zone). I think this topic warrants its own thread.
Done. Thanks, Dapper!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #90
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post

Dapper-when you say "ETA" above, what does that mean? Effective targeted advertising? Just curious. (I would have left you a note on your page but I can't...sorry to derail)

Last edited by Reader; 08-27-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: duh. got it from urban dictionary.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #91
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Dapper-when you say "ETA" above, what does that mean? Effective targeted advertising? Just curious. (I would have left you a note on your page but I can't...sorry to derail)
"effective targeted advertising" - ha ha

Edited to announce. Edited to add.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: