Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Difference between masculine and male identified?

Here lately in the forums (on two sites) there has been a good bit of focus on female and male identified butches, some of it respectful and some of it not. As I've read through them, I have found myself not exactly sure which "camp" I belong in. As is so common it feels as though it is reducing gender to a binary.

Here's my take on it. I do identify as female in terms of physical sex. I use the terms male and female to specify physical sex (biological) so it goes without saying that I am female. However when it comes to gender, if I'm going to describe what type of butch I am I prefer masculine-identified to male identified. As I write this, it occurs to me that perhaps many (all?) female identified butches do identify as masculine, so maybe this isn't a useful distinction.

If I had to choose one I would go with male-identified, because in my mind that recognizes my masculine identity. I do prefer male pronouns, again because they celebrate me as a masculine individual. Still I don't want to be a man and I don't really identify as male because to me it describes sex.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I think you should go with what makes you comfortable when it comes to your ID. No one has a right to tell you who you are, that is up to you to decide.

For me, male is a lot more than what's between my legs. It's what's between my ears. I do experience gender as separate from the physical equipment one was born with. In that sense, male to me is a gender. I don't feel like a woman, and never did. I grew up feeling wrong in my body and knew it from a very young age. As a small kid, I knew I belonged with the boys as school, and had nothing (beyond having a vagina) in common with other little girls. When I told my mother that I wanted to be a boy, she told me I was a girl and that was that and I had to accept it. I resigned myself to that and was miserable for many years of my life. Coming out as a butch lesbian in my early 30s was great, but it still didn't quite feel right. I just know inside that I am male. I knew it as a kid, and I have finally come back to that truth now. That is my story. For me, there is definitely a big difference between being a woman-identified butch and a transguy. My lesson learned in my personal journey is to be true to myself and be aware that I am on a journey of self-discovery. I hope this helps a little.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I am a walking butch poster.........

I am a woman, a female and masculine........

however I am not masculine id'd or male id'd

I am a butch woman.....2 genders occupying the same space.........

to be honest though...........I do have a male id'd part.....it would the the powered-up leather Top/Dom part..........I'm Syr in that head space.....I don't live in that space though.....I play in it when the mood strikes me........
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I live as a man. I try my best to pass. I have had the surgeries, but am not on hormones. I am never going to be allowed to have t. That is what cards I was dealt - all from a childhood head injury.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Blaze

How Do You Identify?:
With my drivers Lic.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Gentleman.. Depends on the Situation.
Relationship Status:
Last Rodeo, what a ride, many sunrises & sunsets to be had...

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,450 Posts
Blaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST ReputationBlaze Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Very difficult question for me. 99.9% of the time I am called Sir, Mister, Him. It's not that I try to look male ID'ed. It's just a given. I have been asked many times from others; at what stage am I in my Trans-gendered transformation. My answer is I am at no stage. When I was 16 I had intestine cancer, to which I had to take Chemo as well as steroids. Thus, I could grow side burns as well as a decent beard if I chose to. But I prefer to shave daily sometime twice a day, is it a blessing? Not really, I hate the
5 O'clock shadow that follows. I do feel comfortable with myself, yet sometimes when I look in the mirror, I am down fonded at what I see. I feel very masculine and yet my breast depress me. I don't want to do any changes to my body, I guess because my mind is strong enough to recognize that I am alright with myself. And that I am a woman, and can be butch at the same time.
Thank's for sharing this post!
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blaze For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

Blaze, We are like the exact opposite. One who wants and one who wants not. Like driving a car. One wants an SUV and one who wants BMW sedan. Just the cards we were given in life.

Andrew

Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not "female identified butch" or "male identified butch"... or "masculine identified butch"...

But I am a butch... I am masculine.... I am a female

I just am what I am I guess.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
MainelyButch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Single

MainelyButch is a name known to allMainelyButch is a name known to allMainelyButch is a name known to allMainelyButch is a name known to allMainelyButch is a name known to allMainelyButch is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
I'm not "female identified butch" or "male identified butch"... or "masculine identified butch"...

Very well said....sometimes this is EXACTLY how I feel!!! I am the sum of both, a female presenting as masculine...BUTCH.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Darth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST ReputationDarth Denkay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I appreciate all those who have posted but am not sure I clearly stated my question. Here, let me try again.

Do others feel that a binary is upheld here in that butches are expected to be male or female identified? It seems that is implied in threads regularly and I find that not creating space for some folks.

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WicketWWarrick View Post
I appreciate all those who have posted but am not sure I clearly stated my question. Here, let me try again.

Do others feel that a binary is upheld here in that butches are expected to be male or female identified? It seems that is implied in threads regularly and I find that not creating space for some folks.

Thoughts?
To answer your question, yes. What to do about it to change others minds, shrugs, maybe we can't. Maybe we just have to live as we are, and not worry how others perceive us. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day, I still look in the mirror and see me, in all my glory.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Member Photo Albums

You're right Corkey. It doesn't bother me in the sense that it makes me question myself - I know who I am - not male or female identified - but I just find it frustrating to once again facing an implied binary where I don't fit in one of the boxes. In so many ways around here we are careful not to construct binaries that it just surprises me, that's all.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You're right Corkey. It doesn't bother me in the sense that it makes me question myself - I know who I am - not male or female identified - but I just find it frustrating to once again facing an implied binary where I don't fit in one of the boxes. In so many ways around here we are careful not to construct binaries that it just surprises me, that's all.
I agree with you my friend, so many times I said the same thing, but unless I put it in my profile, folks assumed a whole lot. I'm not particularly happy about having to choose, I'm Human and that should be enough, thing is it isn't. Don't know why and frankly I am tired of fighting about how I express my gender, is it really worth it in the end? For me no it isn't. I'm Me take it or leave it.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Kind of like having to choose from the two boxes all over again, when neither quite fit eh?

Go figure...

Peace,
Metro
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #14
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Yes, it seems at times that the binary is still the standard, the standard to live and measure our identity. For many years I never thought I was "gender queer." I was a butch. No one ever asked me if I were male or female identified. It felt as though many believed that to be butch was by default a immitation of male. I reject all of this.

Through my own inquiry, thinking and living in my skin, I now know that masculinity is not restricted to cisgendered men or other masculine entities.

I think gender can be primarily a construct. However, I did not realize for most of my life, that I could construct and define my own gender. I identify as a Transmasculine Butch because for me, I cannot label myself a mistake. I am evolving. I was born into a female body because it is a foundational part of who I am. I also choose to move further into a more masculine presentation via surgery and taking T.

I am not content that in the realm of legal recognition I have only two options, male or female. I have the history, hormones, thoughts, experiences of both. Which in my mind makes me "other."
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #15
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

What is it that says that a woman/female can't be masculine? Is it the same thing that says feminine can't be genderqueer?
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #16
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
What is it that says that a woman/female can't be masculine? Is it the same thing that says feminine can't be genderqueer?
I think that uninformed thinking says a woman/female cannot be masculine. I don't believe this myself. I don't think genderqueer restricts feminine but honestly, I have not given that particular notion much thought. I am sure I will think about it now.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thoughts?

Yes, I do believe that there is an expectation that butches be female-identified or male identified.

Personally, I am not a "female identifed butch" OR a "male identified butch". Subsequently, I identify as a TG Butch. I also do not regard myself as a woman, nor do I see myself as a man. (However, I do regard my sex as female, as that is what I am biologically).

Except for a recent thread on the "dash site" (I love that saying by the way...don't know who came up with it) where the request was made for only female-id'ed butches to post, I have never felt like I didn't have a "place" or didn't fit.

It was the first time that I ever considered or was concerned that butch threads would start to get divided into male id'ed and female id'ed threads. It concerned me for the community (more division) and then I also thought....hey, where the hell will I post? lol

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Darth Denkay

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm good with whatever
Relationship Status:
in love and loved

Member Photo Albums

Heart,

I very much agree with what Greyson says - masculinity isn't owned by males or male-identified, and folks can be masculine and female identified. Female masculinity is a wonderfully fabulous thing. If I am using female as a sex marker and not a gender marker, then I am a masculine female in all its glory. That being said, I know that many of my butch sisters have a strong affinity for masculinity, and it is theirs as much as anyone else's.

To go even further, I think even feminine folks can incorporate masculinity into their lives as well. Masculinity is free for all!
Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
Bootboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Bear
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mister Bear.. lol actually whatever not a big deal to me.
Relationship Status:
Solo sauntering along

Bootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST ReputationBootboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Right on Metro!
Bootboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootboi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

My butch identity lies within the realm of being a woman. One that is lesbian, masculine and feminine and whose gender stems from masculine energies projected (and formed) from the female (animus). This is how it has always been for me even when I did not identify as butch (or even knew of the term). Consequently, female-identified butch does provide me with an identification that allows for this fluidity. I can't provide an answer for how it applies to others only for myself.

I have never felt that masculine falls exclusively in the domain of men. Nor that femininity falls exclusively in the domain of women. And I feel that the limits of western culture (and language) is what keeps us stuck in the binary. Other cultures (including Native American), do not have this dilemma as they have several terms and descriptors of gender. However, gender theory gives us an opportunity to break through this isolation. For a long time, I could only make sense out of my own gender fluidity and integration through Jungian theory.

I gues, I am what I am, too!

Last edited by AtLast; 02-22-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: error
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: