Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Lesbian Zone

Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #61
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation
Default feel compelled to say

As a femme, I do not consider the word dyke to be exclusively butch. I am also a dyke. The brashness, toughness, in-your-faceness, whateverness of dyke is as much femme as it is butch.

Also want to say that dyke/lesbian are not outdated terms IMO, and do not only have to be associated with the 1970s.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #62
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
As a femme, I do not consider the word dyke to be exclusively butch. I am also a dyke. The brashness, toughness, in-your-faceness, whateverness of dyke is as much femme as it is butch.

Also want to say that dyke/lesbian are not outdated terms IMO, and do not only have to be associated with the 1970s.

Heart
The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke. Love women--period, but especially those butch women. But, they're all beautiful to me.

In my first lesbian incarnation, I came out to Cris, Holly, Ferron, Meg, Alix.... After 20 years of marriage to a man, I came out again. It was like being Rip Van Winkle. Women's Music had such a role in defining who I was, I was disappointed (if amazed) that I couldn't find a distinct women's music community that wasn't mainstream.

I love being a lesbian and I love being a dyke. I consider my best qualities to come from these identities.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #63
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke.
That certainly perked up my mornin cup of coffee.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #64
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post

Heart
Hi Heart

i completely understand and applaud that you consider yourself a Dyke!

Coming on to bf websites has shown me that many non-butch people also claim that label, and i think that's amazing!

i was stating what the word Dyke brings to mind for me, and i love reading what different people conjure from it too.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #65
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke. Love women--period, but especially those butch women. But, they're all beautiful to me.

In my first lesbian incarnation, I came out to Cris, Holly, Ferron, Meg, Alix.... After 20 years of marriage to a man, I came out again. It was like being Rip Van Winkle. Women's Music had such a role in defining who I was, I was disappointed (if amazed) that I couldn't find a distinct women's music community that wasn't mainstream.

I love being a lesbian and I love being a dyke. I consider my best qualities to come from these identities.

So cool Lyn! I too first came out in my 20s, was married to a man in my 30s, and came out again in my 40s. Now I'm in my 50s, and rooted in my queer lesbian femme dyke identity.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #66
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Good morning dykes, lesbians and friends! I am lovin this space and reading everyone's words.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #67
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #68
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?
What you say is interesting Cinderella. It does seem when it is used derisively it's almost like "wanna-be man get out."

To me Dyke- in the reclaimed sense of the word- is about attitude and not appearance. Femmes certainly can have that strut too. I know of all types of women both on the more feminine and masculine side of the spectrum and in between who claim dyke.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #69
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Comments anyone?
I use dyke and have used dyke and have no shame using dyke.. I am pretty girly, not over the top but I have my good days. I am proud leather dyke for many a year matter of fact I was Sir's baby dyke for a good 4 of those years aggresiveness and all
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 09:57 AM   #70
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Hmmmm, that's interesting as well, Bulldog. And certainly, folks can call themselves whatever they like...I just don't like the word, and never will - I'm set in my ways like that - and, lordy, I sure hope no one calls me 'dyke', lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
*snip*
I know of all types of women both on the more feminine and masculine side of the spectrum and in between who claim dyke.

The is an organ of fire.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #71
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Quote:
Hmmmm, that's interesting as well, Bulldog. And certainly, folks can call themselves whatever they like...I just don't like the word, and never will - I'm set in my ways like that - and, lordy, I sure hope no one calls me 'dyke', lol.
LOL, no worries Cinderella, we won't. Welcome to the thread!

- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #72
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thank you ever so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
LOL, no worries Cinderella, we won't. Welcome to the thread!

The is an organ of fire.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #73
JustBeingMe

How Do You Identify?:
as ME
Relationship Status:
I don't need no stinking status.

Thanked 1,691 Times in 694 Posts
JustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST ReputationJustBeingMe Has the BEST Reputation

Awe shucks, anyone old enough to remember the womyn's movement on Washington, and the Lesbians/Dykes using the Lavender Bandanas to seperate themselves outward? Hee hee hee, I flagged them when I came out with a HUGE BANG!! I"d still hang one in my back pocket!!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #74
Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Comments anyone?
To me, "dyke" connotes an attitude and way of being, not a particular look. I am really girly. It's just me, not something I cultivate. My partner insists I am "a femme," and she can think what she likes. That's not really how I see myself. I'm told that I would look girly in a burlap sack, so it can't be the way I look that makes me a dyke.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #75
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

See, I don't necessarily equate femme/feminine with girly-girl, ergo no problem using the word dyke for those who are femme/feminine. But I do get the way "dyke" was used against more visible lesbians, namely butches. One reason I like the term dyke is it makes me more visible. And I like being visible.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #76
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Comments anyone?
Welcome cinderella!

I am old school as well and remember the term dyke as being an insult from straight people as well.

These days, for me, using the term dyke to describe myself is a pride thing - an acknowledgment of the struggles of the past, a celebration of our history, and a reminder of how much we have overcome. A solidarity thing perhaps.

I try not to use terms for anyone these days...partly cuz I dont know what the terms even are anymore. Since Toyota recalled my gaydar, I cant even distinguish the lesbians from the non lesbians....tho Im pretty sure if I think someone is, they arent.

Anyway welcome and I promise not to call you by the d word.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #77
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe View Post
Awe shucks, anyone old enough to remember the womyn's movement on Washington, and the Lesbians/Dykes using the Lavender Bandanas to seperate themselves outward? Hee hee hee, I flagged them when I came out with a HUGE BANG!! I"d still hang one in my back pocket!!
I am old enough to remember this but I truly dont. That was a good idea idea tho, subdued visability.

I dont think I ever did anything like that to show my true colors....so to speak. LOL. I did go thru a purple shoelace stage tho....

Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #78
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Default Thoughts anyone?

I am going to throw this out there cuz it has been on my mind lately.

I came out in the rights movement age and when lesbian rights/visibility was a monumental thing. Having been out of the loop for a while.....I still see gay pride marches going on, and I see the political organizations for rights i.e. for the entire alternative lifestyle umbrella community.

Is there anything specific going on, or organizations for, or groups geared just to lesbians? Or has this become an outdated concept?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #79
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

TGIF is the understatement of the week! Have a great weekend all.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #80
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

In case ya'll didnt notice there is now a Lesbian Zone. I presume Linus can move this over if we like. Or change the name. Or whatever is anyones preferences.

Lotsa people traveling this weekend. Be safe out there.