pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, grrl, piranha, monkey
Relationship Status:
captured....

Thanked 1,456 Times in 311 Posts
pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Default A GIRL YOU SHOULD DATE - Date a girl who reads...

Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. She has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants. You see the weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow.

She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.

Buy her another cup of coffee.
Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas and for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry, in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

She has to give it a shot somehow.
Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.

Fail her. Because a girl who reads knows that failure always leads up to the climax. Because girls who understand that all things will come to end. That you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.

Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are.

You will propose on a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually next time she’s sick. Over Skype.

You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.

Or better yet, date a girl who writes.

– Rosemarie Urquico –
Original blog post here: http://nonamerah.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/869/

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
pinkgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Mtn

How Do You Identify?:
Stone butch, daddy type
Relationship Status:
sylvie calls me her studmuffin

Thanked 3,834 Times in 617 Posts
Mtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST Reputation

I buy my girl books that we can both read and share over the distance seperating us. It's another way for us to share and be in the same space.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
BBW. Unique femininity that does not encompass the western paradigm.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:
Single, Happy, not Desparate or Looking, but Open to Possibilities...

Thanked 6,035 Times in 1,617 Posts
1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

When I’m reading, by all means massage my feet, massage my head….snuggle up to me and hold me, but….DO NOT talk to me, you WILL get ‘the look’ and a 'sigh' because of the interruption, lol!

1QuirkyKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgeek View Post
Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. She has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants. You see the weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow.

She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.

Buy her another cup of coffee.
Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas and for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry, in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

She has to give it a shot somehow.
Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.

Fail her. Because a girl who reads knows that failure always leads up to the climax. Because girls who understand that all things will come to end. That you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.

Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are.

You will propose on a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually next time she’s sick. Over Skype.

You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.

– Rosemarie Urquico –
This is utterly fantastic and SO true of the "girl who reads". Thanks for posting.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Red face Reading..

I loved this and shared it on FB with my special girl... Thanks for sharing it here
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
persiphone
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
on a hedonistic hiatus

Thanked 1,565 Times in 380 Posts
persiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputation

hahahahahaa @ "Except the Twilight series." and i'd wait at least 24 hours after Cat In The Hat to introduce Aslan. but spawn hasn't picked up Seuss since he was 4...well you know what he reads

i wonder what Pablo and Anne's children might have been like.
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to persiphone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

wonderful post, miss pinky.... and on this note...

Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
persiphone
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
on a hedonistic hiatus

Thanked 1,565 Times in 380 Posts
persiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputationpersiphone Has the BEST Reputation

completely amazing
persiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to persiphone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
captured....

pinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputationpinkgeek Has the BEST Reputation

You are all so welcome! I'm the girl who reads.. Always have been. So much so that I cried when I read this post.. I mourn the ending of my favorite books and I'll slow down to savor them longer.. I carry a purse large enough for a 400 page hardbound book..

and I'm glad I'm not the only one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
This is utterly fantastic and SO true of the "girl who reads". Thanks for posting.

"I‘m heir to madness. Vessel of perversion. Your nightmare should you cross me."

((Want to read about my life in Hawaii and my ongoing war against the roosters and my pony size dog and my wedding?)) http://www.alohafemme.wordpress.com/
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
captured....

I know!! (He's getting a trip to Barnes and Noble for Christmas with Auntie Pink..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiphone View Post
hahahahahaa @ "Except the Twilight series." and i'd wait at least 24 hours after Cat In The Hat to introduce Aslan. but spawn hasn't picked up Seuss since he was 4...well you know what he reads

i wonder what Pablo and Anne's children might have been like.

The Following User Says Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
captured....

Jess - thanks for sharing this. I recently read an article about the difference between educating women and men in developing countries and this video expresses it perfectly.

Money spent educating a women goes infinitely farther than that which is spent on men.. A woman will educate, care for and lift up her entire community when given the opportunity.. (Fact not supposition....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
wonderful post, miss pinky.... and on this note...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

My father is the one who gave me my love of books. I remember being teased on the bus for reading above my grade level. (only to find out later the worst teaser/bully, she couldn't read). I constantly have at least three books on the go. I very rarely read fiction. Terry Windling and Ellen Datlow can change my mind on that tho'.

Reading and writing are my passions.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

Uh, i'd be more inclined to stick with the former and i'm the one who writes.

Quote:

– Rosemarie Urquico –
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation1QuirkyKiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
You are all so welcome! I'm the girl who reads.. Always have been. So much so that I cried when I read this post.. I mourn the ending of my favorite books and I'll slow down to savor them longer.. I carry a purse large enough for a 400 page hardbound book..

and I'm glad I'm not the only one..
I always have a book on the go….I tried reading the first book of the Twilight series and gave up after 3 chapters, lol! I took the trilogy back to the library and got out a couple of historical fictions to read.

My cousin downloaded the Kindle PC app for my laptop….I cannot get on with it….it doesn’t feel the same when reading! I love to feel the weight of a book in my hands as I read….to feel the texture of the paper….to smell the book whether new or old. ….I’m the same with newspapers, lol! I will remain a traditionalist in this way (and a few others, lol!) and will not go willingly into the 21st century with eReaders....*Stamps foot in stubbornness, then sits down and pulls out a paperback book for a quick -ish read* LOL!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
pinkgeek

How Do You Identify?:
that grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
captured....

I have Kindle on my iphone and it's great for reading in restaurants. My friends think I'm checking work email and low and behold I'm reading a book. Yeah I'm -that- girl.

Kiwi - on a PC digital books aren't my thing. I used to travel with half my luggage full of books, now I load my phone and save my back. You are right though, there is NOTHING like the feel of a real book.

I also collect antique books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuirkyKiwi View Post
I always have a book on the go….I tried reading the first book of the Twilight series and gave up after 3 chapters, lol! I took the trilogy back to the library and got out a couple of historical fictions to read.

My cousin downloaded the Kindle PC app for my laptop….I cannot get on with it….it doesn’t feel the same when reading! I love to feel the weight of a book in my hands as I read….to feel the texture of the paper….to smell the book whether new or old. ….I’m the same with newspapers, lol! I will remain a traditionalist in this way (and a few others, lol!) and will not go willingly into the 21st century with eReaders....*Stamps foot in stubbornness, then sits down and pulls out a paperback book for a quick -ish read* LOL!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinkgeek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I read, I love women that do.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
1QuirkyKiwi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything Respectful!
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I have Kindle on my iphone and it's great for reading in restaurants. My friends think I'm checking work email and low and behold I'm reading a book. Yeah I'm -that- girl.

Kiwi - on a PC digital books aren't my thing. I used to travel with half my luggage full of books, now I load my phone and save my back. You are right though, there is NOTHING like the feel of a real book.

I also collect antique books.
I used to have a collection of antique books, but, with living a semi-nomadic life for 20 years…. I lost them when I moved to Scotland, the removal company somehow ‘mislaid’ the box ….it broke my heart. I haven’t felt like replacing them, yet! Maybe some time in the future when I’ve settles down.

I always get books from the Library and if I like them, then I’ll buy them to re-read, again in the future. My Scottish cousin bought me the complete Hercule poirrot short stories for my birthday last year….I’d read a story once a week so I could savour the book, lol!

I take a book into a restaurant or café and read. If I take my hand embroidery, I frequently get asked to show what I’m stitching and then a conversation starts up….I’m happy to chat, but, sometimes I just want my own time a space, especially at lunchtime when I’m feeling frazzled and I want to sit quietly eating my lunch, lol!

I will still carry a handful of books in my luggage as well as my hand embroidery, lol!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1QuirkyKiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Daktari

Thanks for posting this Pinkers.

A girl who doesn't read is a girl I wouldn't date.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #19
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

Old 12-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #20
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

You know, there are those of us who simply cannot read, due to a learning disability. This does not imply however that we are at an intellectual disadvantage. I have a master's degree and yet I cannot read. Just another viewpoint.
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ButchEire For This Useful Post: