How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

"Uniform Combined State Law Exam, Series 66, 9th Edition"... and I am sick to death of it! UGH

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #2682
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

For fun, I just started "Fellside" by M. R. Carey. I loved "The Girl With All the Gifts" so much by the same author that I had to see what this one was about!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #2683
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Little Stranger ~ Sarah Waters

No book report just yet...
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #2684
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I finished "Fellside" several days ago and it was good. Entertaining if a little psychic-dramery.

Downloaded "City of Mirrors" by Justin Cronin. It's the final in his "Passage" series and a hefty 30 hours on audio. But I've got a road trip coming up and several days during Thanksgiving so I think I can get through it.

School is out in 3 weeks and I never want to read another Education Policy book as long as I live.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 09:49 PM   #2685
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Just finished re-reading Needful Things, it is a favorite of mine for reasons unknown

Started reading Odd Thomas. I have seen the movie, but the book series is 7-8 books so I am excited
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #2686
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I found an interesting book to read, the other day, while wandering around the skilled nursing facility (pt/ot rehab).

Title : King Larry | The Life and Ruins Of A Billionaire Genius.
Author: James D. Scurlock.
Publisher: Scribner, 2012.

I've only read the introduction, a mere few pages, but the author gives meticulous attention to the man who gave birth to DHL, which was doing business long before FedEx (50 year head start) and how Larry Hillblom was not only a business genius but how his behavioral choices, hiding in plain sight, would be the long remembered undoing of his so called financial empire (and not his business acumen).

I haven't even finished with chapter one and already give it a huge props. Very good book. Very enlightening. Tragic story.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 02:12 PM   #2687
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default They left us everything : a memoir / Plum Johnson.

After almost twenty years of caring for elderly parents -- first for their senile father, and then for their cantankerous ninety-three-year old mother -- author Plum Johnson and her three younger brothers have finally fallen to their middle-aged knees with conflicted feelings of grief and relief.

Now they must empty and sell the beloved family home, twenty-three rooms bulging with history, antiques, and oxygen tanks. Plum thought: How tough will that be?

I know how to buy garbage bags. But the task turns out to be much harder and more rewarding than she ever imagined.

Items from childhood trigger difficult memories of her eccentric family growing up in the 1950s and '60s, but unearthing new facts about her parents helps her reconcile those relationships, with a more accepting perspective about who they were and what they valued.

They Left Us Everything is a funny, touching memoir about the importance of preserving family history to make sense of the past, and nurturing family bonds to safeguard the future.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #2688
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

ever hear of Christopher Barzak? Barzack? He writes these incredible horror novels that make my spine tingle as I read....his way with words breath life into every page and I often cant put his books down until completely read. One of them was recently made into a movie. I am reading one now about a young man who finds a long dead girl shape shifted into a red fox, while he is living in Japan against his will. Keeps me up at night for hours....
Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #2689
Arden

How Do You Identify?:
Female, femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
"and if you help me to start again, you know that I'll be there for you in the end. "

Arden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST ReputationArden Has the BEST Reputation
Default Two at a time

I'm reading bits and pieces of two books currently

Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain - an interesting read on neuropsychology by Daniel Siegel

Blind to Betrayal: Why We Fool Ourselves We Aren't being Fooled - about the reasons people tend to "bond" with those who are abusive to them by Jennifer Freyd (she's got a research lab at the University of Oregon)

I do sometimes read for purely pleasure though often read related to my work, which is the reason for my current choices. A move about 2 years ago has lead to the loss of a huge public library system resulting in less pleasure reading since I don't want to buy those books.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #2690
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Trying to catch up on the past month's Sunday "NY Times" then...
Gayle Rubin's "Deviations".
Old 11-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #2691
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

'The Alchemist'- A fable about following your dream- by Paulo Coelho
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #2692
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,363 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Flour (by Joanne Chang)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #2693
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly

I'm enjoying it, and while I am looking forward to seeing the movie I think this will be another case where the book is much better than the movie.

(Paperback is being released Dec 6th)
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #2694
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Brother Odd, third in the series and loving it more than expected. Books make my soul happy
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #2695
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Year of Voting Dangerously: by Maureen Dowd

I like her writing style especially her OP EDS in the NYT but this is the first book of her's I've read.

After hearing her on Seth Meyers the other night I think it's going to be something I'll enjoy!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #2696
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Taproot Magazine

My close family & best friend gave me a current issue of Taproot magazine. The magazine is published in the state of Vermont, which features articles and stories about food, plant life, homesteading, art, and numerous other subjective and objective topics of interest. I am currently reading an article about a Pacific Northwest couple who homestead for a living, with interest for bee keeping and harvest of honey. Title of the article is: Sweet As Honey.

I highly recommend this magazine because the style of writing and subject interest is exceptionally outstanding, very enjoyable.

For more information, look up their website:
www.taprootmag.com

Or...

Write to:

Taproot
120 Graham Way - suite 200
Shelburne, Vermont. 05482-9906
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #2697
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I started reading All the light We Cannot See.

One of the tellers at my bank read it and loved it. I don't read enough fiction and it's always good to find something that keeps my interest.

So far so good.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:48 AM   #2698
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I started reading All the light We Cannot See.

One of the tellers at my bank read it and loved it. I don't read enough fiction and it's always good to find something that keeps my interest.

So far so good.
I read that book, not long ago.
The story is well crafted . I don't know exactly how to describe it without spoiling it for you, but I really liked how various strands of the story were woven together. Metaphor, tons of metaphor. I kept the book too, rather than trade it in for another book. I hope you really enjoy the book --- All The Light We Cannot See.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #2699
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Me, myself and I

1 Highscore

Thanked 7,085 Times in 1,355 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading Fern Michaels Sisterhood Series. I'm six books in and I'm enjoying them immensely. They are easy and fun reads.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #2700
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation
Default The End Of America

Naomi Wolf. -This book takes a historical look at the rise of fascism, outlining the ten steps necessary for a state to take control of individual lives. This book also explains how this pattern was followed in Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy, as well as elsewhere, and compares it to the current state of affairs in American Political power since Sept. 11, 2001.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading