Old 08-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #2841
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 21,523 Times in 10,012 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kštzchen View Post
....... I am half way through the book....I left off on page 305....and it's not an easy read, for me, due to the way I read a book first.

When I read Big Little Lies, I made notes on the edge of the pages, noting interesting things which were not a part of the HBO series.

In Anna Karenina, it's a slow process because of interesting ideas I find that center on power, status, diction, rules of civility, rules concerning romantic overtures...etc.

Once I am done taking notes, first, then I begin again and read the story for the second time....bypassing all my notes because I've taken the time to study the intricate maneuvers between characters in the story....like a good chess game.

Ps/ I love both of the books I have been reading!
Lordy, that sounds like a lot of work to me.........
homoe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #2842
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Thanked 20,100 Times in 6,697 Posts
Kštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Lordy, that sounds like a lot of work to me.........
I do it every single time I read a good book.

I did it with the Grisham book too, The Painted House and The Whistler .... and with Erik Larsson books, too. Nearly all books I do the same style of 'reading'..... notes first, then sail through it a second time for enjoyment.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 AM   #2843
Wrang1er

How Do You Identify?:
Gravel Butch
Relationship Status:
Beauty

Thanked 4,287 Times in 839 Posts
Wrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST ReputationWrang1er Has the BEST Reputation

I'm listening to an audiobook by David Sedaris. Theft by Finding. I absolutely love him but this has been my least favorite. There was one diary entry he read that actually made me throw up a little.
Wrang1er is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wrang1er For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #2844
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 6,937 Times in 2,191 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Reading a few at the moment, but two have really caught my attention and consumed my thoughts (and time):

* The Bitch is Back: Older, Wiser, and (Getting)Happier byCathi Hanauer

I first read the first book - The Bitch in the House back in 2004 and it really struck a chord and resonated for me. Most of the stories were raw, emotional, and poignant. Most were about things I'd thought or witnessed but never really discussed with friends (or anyone). I'm finding the same is true for the second book, and the return or updated stories from some of the essay writers feels like I'd never left off or the 15 years hasn't elapsed between readings.

* Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

I have not read their first book(s) Freakonomics, but that doesn't seem necessary. Their methods aren't really new or revolutionary, but in today's world where we often seem to put critical thinking on the back burner to be mindlessly entertained by social media (yes, I get the irony that I'm posting about this on a social platform) it's a refreshing reminder that we are or can be better equipped mentally. I'm enjoying the anecdotes even though I'm not seeing how some of the methods apply to my daily life. It makes me think bigger than myself and that is enough.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #2845
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 6,937 Times in 2,191 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket26 View Post
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book and if you've watched the movie (or if you'd watch it after reading). 😊
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #2846
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Kštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST ReputationKštzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Reading a few at the moment, but two have really caught my attention and consumed my thoughts (and time):

* The Bitch is Back: Older, Wiser, and (Getting)Happier byCathi Hanauer

I first read the first book - The Bitch in the House back in 2004 and it really struck a chord and resonated for me. Most of the stories were raw, emotional, and poignant. Most were about things I'd thought or witnessed but never really discussed with friends (or anyone). I'm finding the same is true for the second book, and the return or updated stories from some of the essay writers feels like I'd never left off or the 15 years hasn't elapsed between readings.

* Think Like a Freak by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

I have not read their first book(s) Freakonomics, but that doesn't seem necessary. Their methods aren't really new or revolutionary, but in today's world where we often seem to put critical thinking on the back burner to be mindlessly entertained by social media (yes, I get the irony that I'm posting about this on a social platform) it's a refreshing reminder that we are or can be better equipped mentally. I'm enjoying the anecdotes even though I'm not seeing how some of the methods apply to my daily life. It makes me think bigger than myself and that is enough.
o O.... .... SO good to see you here, Fancy!

I love it that you're reading Levitt & Dubnar! One of the guidelines to thinking like a freak is ...."Never, ever think that people will do something just because its the right thing...".(Levitt & Dubnar).

For anyone who isn't familiar with either author, here's a really good article from The Guardian about both of them, what they do, the ideas behind Freakonomics and other interesting ideas about their life work in helping others to fly their 'freak flag' !

LINK:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-dubner-review
Old 09-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #2847
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

I finished up with Anna Karenina, a few days ago. I liked it for reasons more purely from an academic pov, usefulness for integrating communication and sociology perspectives. Not quite sure I want to see the movie, tho.

But, I was gifted another book, which I received the other day.

The Help (Stockett, K., 2009).

I opened up the book to read last night and just finished reading it, moments ago, like I hadn't had any Apple Pie since last winter. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this novel!

Very gratifying.and satisfying.

I highly recommend reading it, if you haven't yet.

It's good.... so very very good.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #2848
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I finished up with Anna Karenina, a few days ago. I liked it for reasons more purely from an academic pov, usefulness for integrating communication and sociology perspectives. Not quite sure I want to see the movie, tho.

But, I was gifted another book, which I received the other day.

The Help (Stockett, K., 2009).

I opened up the book to read last night and just finished reading it, moments ago, like I hadn't had any Apple Pie since last winter. I LOVED LOVED LOVED this novel!

Very gratifying.and satisfying.

I highly recommend reading it, if you haven't yet.

It's good.... so very very good.
I am anxious to hear how you enjoy the movie Miss Katz. IMHO it stayed pretty true to the book
Old 09-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #2849
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme Extraordinaire
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su mujer
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,530 Times in 1,435 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

The writing on the wall...

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 AM   #2850
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
you had my heart a long, long time ago.....

Thanked 26,244 Times in 6,531 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I've just started Becoming Odyssa by Jennifer Pharr Davis.

It's the story of a girl who thru hikes the Appalachian Trail.

The author frequently does speaking engagements around Asheville, so she may live nearby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #2851
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

My sweet darling Santa sent books to me, this week.

I read the novel Girl with the pearl earring, which was a very interesting fictitious account of GriŽt, the young girl who was lent out as a maid to the family of painter Vermeer....very interesting way the author presents the girl with the pearl earring.

Today, I received two books I have never read....although I did see the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, I've never read the book it's based upon..... Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe! And I do love whistling...

The third book is an recently authored lesbian romance novel, by AJ Adair, published by Desert Palm Press. Title is: Don't Forget (2017). This particular lesbian romance story takes place in the 1980s.... and the author wrote an especially poignant dedication to her partner and wife, before the story gets under way.

So excited to read both books!
Kštzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #2852
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Latino Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
you know
Relationship Status:
Whole, Present, Real-time only.

Thanked 5,108 Times in 1,751 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default a

"After You"
by UK writer Jojo Moyes

while not my usual deep and dark reading, it offers a gentle
albeit a bit painful perspective on loss

on this my second reading of this story, am finding how far
I've come in my own forward movement through loss

passage has become tender.

Greco

"My friend told me today, this restaurant he was in had a sign. "No Wifi, imagine it's 1995 and talk to each other.""

Phil Sr/Youtube
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2853
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
My sweet darling Santa sent books to me, this week.

I read the novel Girl with the pearl earring, which was a very interesting fictitious account of GriŽt, the young girl who was lent out as a maid to the family of painter Vermeer....very interesting way the author presents the girl with the pearl earring.

Today, I received two books I have never read....although I did see the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, I've never read the book it's based upon..... Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe! And I do love whistling...

The third book is an recently authored lesbian romance novel, by AJ Adair, published by Desert Palm Press. Title is: Don't Forget (2017). This particular lesbian romance story takes place in the 1980s.... and the author wrote an especially poignant dedication to her partner and wife, before the story gets under way.

So excited to read both books!
WOW Santa is sending out gifts this early? You must be on the very good 'girl' list
Old 09-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #2854
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Quote:
WOW Santa is sending out gifts this early? You must be on the very good 'girl' list
I loves Christmas (which can be any day, really), so it's important to me to on my best behavior (as humanly possible) ....

<<<<<~~ Likes it that I'm on Santa's GQQD GIRL list!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kštzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #2855
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

SO.......I guess the ONLY way to get on this Santa's list is to behave......I'll be finding coal then again this year in my stocking.......
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #2856
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Quote:
SO.......I guess the ONLY way to get on this Santa's list is to behave......I'll be finding coal then again this year in my stocking.......
Well that's just not right! I'll be sure to write to Santa soon because YOu deserve the BEST Christmas any butch Boi could dream of..... ...... sometimes being "Bad" is nothing more than a sign of how GQQD you are. Thinks Santa ought to make sure you have the best Christmas E V E R.

<<<<<<~~ and now, back to books!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kštzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #2857
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

I seen Kobi's post about reading this book and thought it'd appeal to me too.

The End of Loyalty: The Rise and Fall of Good Jobs in America
Wartzman, Rick

I'm enjoying it
Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #2858
Kštzchen
Heart of Hearts

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Quote:
I seen Kobi's post about reading this book and thought it'd appeal to me too.

The End of Loyalty: The Rise and Fall of Good Jobs in America
Wartzman, Rick

I'm enjoying it
I would like to read that book, too. I have a feeling it would be a good reading companion for an organizational communication, sociology and business course in college (interdisciplinary).
Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #2859
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
The HBO special was outstanding as well
Old 09-29-2017, 03:51 AM   #2860
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
In my spare time, I've been scoring my own music:
reading from other texts of music,
developing my own style,
fine tuning my keys,
pitch,
melodies.
I realize this post was years ago but are you still doing this? It sounds so very interesting I must say.....

Tags
books, reading