shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Hey! AT least it's just chicken poo there! The plantation I used to live on would spread cow manure in the late fall for years. Then, in the last two years I lived out there, they started using a bio- engineered "recycled".. product from human waste facilities. You wanna talk about stench!

It may just be me, but for some reason the use of anything containing human by product in food grain production reallllllllly bothers me. It's like using human ( or sea bass) DNA in tomato production.. wtf???

Dude, if it gets too bad ya'll come up here for Thanksgiving! Bring da pups and we'll chow down poop free! Can't promise an exploding deep fried turkey, but we can usually pull together a decent spread!
I can promise you and sis an exploding turkey and I won't even use a deep fryer to DO IT!!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #62
MysticOceansFL

How Do You Identify?:
Butch,
Preferred Pronoun?:
People call me by my nic name.
Relationship Status:
Not Single, Not Desperate.

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,720 Posts
MysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST ReputationMysticOceansFL Has the BEST Reputation

Plenty of SunShine here you take a guess? And the city is the Capital.

It is said, " Some lives are linked across time.....

Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages "......
MysticOceansFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MysticOceansFL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #63
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticOceansFL View Post
Plenty of SunShine here you take a guess? And the city is the Capital.
Would that be Jacksonville, Florida?? I'm guessing
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #64
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,096 Times in 3,753 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Where I'm from...
'Lil Gramma' would be makin' me grits for breakfast, with butter and brown sugar. And before noon, we would walk down to the Mennonite Farmers Market known as Dutch Foods...but on the way,we would stop at the HUGE Woodmen of the World barn to get open pit BBQ chicken. (...that we could smell from the house when they started grilling at the crack of dawn. It makes your mouth water!! and you can't wait till they start selling at 10am.) It's a good thing we would walk to town, because if we'd use the car, we'd get behind a dozen or so horse-n-buggies with Mennonite or Brethren families all headed to Dutch Foods or IGA.

At the market, Lil Gramma would get us some homemade, fresh outa the oven, soft wheat rolls with butter and honey, a bag of her horehound candies and my butterscotch, 2 bottles of homemade root beer or cream soda and some green tomatoes to fry up later for dinner.

On our way home, we'd stop by our Dunkard Brethren church...a very small, simple, plain, red brick "salt box" of a building.... to sweep and clean up before Sunday Service. We would then sit in the little handmade wooden kids chairs in the School room and delightfully dig into our BBQ chicken and other treats (that chicken was SO tender it would fall off the bones and the smokie flavor was all the way through), while she told me the story about how her husband built this church with his own hands, how the pews, hardwood floor and other furniture were all handmade by him and the other Deacons. That church felt like home as much as her wonderful, warm, inviting home did.

Before we left, we'd place out all the hymnal books and wind up the old antique "Regulator" clock...just about then, old Brother Uplinger and his wife would pull up in his military-retired 1945 Dodge WC 52 that had "farm tags"....we would shimmy into the back and I'd snuggle close to Lil Gramma as we'd putt putt up the hill to the Dayton Autumn Festival, where we'd get some pumpkin bread for that night's dessert.

I would give anything to be able to spend a day like that again with Lil Gramma.

To this day, that BBQ chicken is my FAVORITE.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #65
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Subscribing because I must get to work sometime this morning. What a neat thread. I want to read the whole thing.

I'm in Southern California, and well,...off to work 4 now.
BBL>
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #66
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
Where I'm from...
'Lil Gramma' would be makin' me grits for breakfast, with butter and brown sugar. And before noon, we would walk down to the Mennonite Farmers Market known as Dutch Foods...but on the way,we would stop at the HUGE Woodmen of the World barn to get open pit BBQ chicken. (...that we could smell from the house when they started grilling at the crack of dawn. It makes your mouth water!! and you can't wait till they start selling at 10am.) It's a good thing we would walk to town, because if we'd use the car, we'd get behind a dozen or so horse-n-buggies with Mennonite or Brethren families all headed to Dutch Foods or IGA.

At the market, Lil Gramma would get us some homemade, fresh outa the oven, soft wheat rolls with butter and honey, a bag of her horehound candies and my butterscotch, 2 bottles of homemade root beer or cream soda and some green tomatoes to fry up later for dinner.

On our way home, we'd stop by our Dunkard Brethren church...a very small, simple, plain, red brick "salt box" of a building.... to sweep and clean up before Sunday Service. We would then sit in the little handmade wooden kids chairs in the School room and delightfully dig into our BBQ chicken and other treats (that chicken was SO tender it would fall off the bones and the smokie flavor was all the way through), while she told me the story about how her husband built this church with his own hands, how the pews, hardwood floor and other furniture were all handmade by him and the other Deacons. That church felt like home as much as her wonderful, warm, inviting home did.

Before we left, we'd place out all the hymnal books and wind up the old antique "Regulator" clock...just about then, old Brother Uplinger and his wife would pull up in his military-retired 1945 Dodge WC 52 that had "farm tags"....we would shimmy into the back and I'd snuggle close to Lil Gramma as we'd putt putt up the hill to the Dayton Autumn Festival, where we'd get some pumpkin bread for that night's dessert.

I would give anything to be able to spend a day like that again with Lil Gramma.

To this day, that BBQ chicken is my FAVORITE.
WOW, Sweet, Thank you for the visual! What a great area it sounds like and what rich warm memories!

I love the quiet of the Mennonite/ Amish/ Dunkard areas. The "peace" is almost palpable. We have that sort of calm in the foothills here. Nothing quite like a slow drive on a crisp sunny morning to lift your spirits and allow the worlds troubles to melt away.

Thanks again!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #67
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Where I come from... well - I drove to the shops today and I had to slow down so as not to hit any wallabies or kangaroos sitting on the side of the road (they can suddenly change direction and decide to hop right in front of your car). My sweetie saw an echidna last time he took the dogs for a walk and my sister saw a platypus in the creek out the back of her place. Driving to work a few months ago, my daughter and I saw a couple of koalas on the road. The driver in front of me was trying to get them to safety (i.e. off the road). They were not impressed with her telling them what to do!

We are very lucky though - you don't see wildlife like this in most towns or cities in Australia. You don't get kangaroos hopping down the main street in Sydney or Melbourne. We're just in a really good place for it (it's pretty rare - the idea that this is the norm here is a misconception).

You know what? Koalas are really not that cute and cuddly. They smell, they make awful noises, they can be aggressive, and they have claws. A lot of them also have syphilis!
Ursy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #68
rockybcn

How Do You Identify?:
a well blended yin yang butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'll take "sweetheart" for 500 Alex!
Relationship Status:
to be...or not to be...that is the question!

rockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputationrockybcn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Where I am from, you are either going "up north" or "downstate." You are either a "Yooper" (live in the Upper Peninsula or U.P. or Yoop, thus Yooper) or a "troll" (because you live in the Lower Peninsula, below the Mackinac Bridge, thus you live under the bridge and are a troll). We call tourists in the northern part of the state "fudgies" because they often frequent the many fudge shops. You often use your right hand as a map of half the state and point to where you are from, if you were born in the Lower Peninsula. You can kind of use your left hand as the Upper Peninsula. Where I am from (northern Michigan), most schools close on the opening day of deer hunting season because so many teachers and students call in sick so they can go hunting. Where I am from, it can snow as early as October and as late as April or May. Where I am from, Canadian coins are accepted as change and given as change just like American coins, except for the Loonie...we don't take the Loonie. Where I am from, you either eat your coney dogs Flint style or Detroit style. And always with mustard and onions. In fact, that's the only time I put mustard on a hotdog.

Where I am from, my little hometown on the shores of Lake Huron, it is not unusual to hear a little Polish at a certain butcher shop because the butcher knows Polish to talk to some of the older customers, some of whom still feel more comfortable talking what they grew up talking (Polish). So, you sometimes hear "Dzien dobry" in the morning. In my hometown, there is a restaurant attached to the bowling alley (hey, the population is only 4500) that usually serves an all-Polish food buffet on Thursdays. All you can eat - $6, and that includes the duck blood soup. In my hometown, people buy their meats at the butcher, not at the grocery market. And there are two outstanding butcher shops for such a small town. In my hometown, there was a radio program every Saturday morning on the local radio station that was dedicated to playing Polish folk music and polkas for two hours. The man who hosted it recently died, so I think the show will die too...and that makes me sad. In my hometown, there are essentially two churches -- Catholic and Lutheran. My town is almost evenly divided between the churches and between Polish and German ancestry (I am half and half). On Christmas Eve, the Catholic Church has a 6 p.m. Mass and the schoolchildren from the Catholic school sing Christmas carols in Polish and the little old Polish ladies (who still wear scarves or kerchiefs on their heads at church) sing along in Polish too.

Fun thread.
I lived in Michigan almost 40 years and I am also from a German and Polish heritage. I miss Fat Tuesday and sharing Paczki´s with everyone. I miss homemade gumpkis ánd I miss the pasties made in the UP. I just plain ol miss Michigan....well, ´cept for the snow!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #69
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Are there Koala shepherds there? LOL! There has always been rumors of shepherds and sheep and std's.. , I couldn't resist!

Sounds like a really cool place to be. The wildlife sounds amazing. You are indeed blessed!

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #70
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Ursy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST ReputationUrsy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Are there Koala shepherds there? LOL! There has always been rumors of shepherds and sheep and std's.. , I couldn't resist!

Sounds like a really cool place to be. The wildlife sounds amazing. You are indeed blessed!

Thanks!
Lol - no koala shepherds

We are blessed, but still, I'd love to see a chipmunk, squirrel or raccoon for real someday (we don't have them here at all)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ursy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #71
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursy View Post
Lol - no koala shepherds

We are blessed, but still, I'd love to see a chipmunk, squirrel or raccoon for real someday (we don't have them here at all)
Sorry but chipmunk, squirrel and raccoon are not indigenous to that part of the world but it does sound so wonderful that Australia would love to visit someday and see the koalas, kangaroos etc!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #72
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
Sorry but chipmunk, squirrel and raccoon are not indigenous to that part of the world but it does sound so wonderful that Australia would love to visit someday and see the koalas, kangaroos etc!!
I hope you do! I'm sure you will love it
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #73
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Ursy, do you have the flying foxes ( bats) in your area? I love bats but we only have smaller varieties here.
These guys are gorgeous!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #74
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursy View Post
I hope you do! I'm sure you will love it
I am sure I would probably love it down there its warm right?? If that is the case then yes because I don't like cold weather!! Oh and the raccoons that are around get into the trash and have like "hand" and can open all sorts of things but they are cute though but campers don't like them!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #75
Ursy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
I am sure I would probably love it down there its warm right?? If that is the case then yes because I don't like cold weather!! Oh and the raccoons that are around get into the trash and have like "hand" and can open all sorts of things but they are cute though but campers don't like them!!
It's hot up North, can be very cold down South where they have snow, etc. We're kind of in the middle, so the Winters don't get too cold, but Summer is pretty warm.

Quote:
Ursy, do you have the flying foxes ( bats) in your area? I love bats but we only have smaller varieties here.
These guys are gorgeous!

Yes, we sure do - they are very cute indeed. Sometimes you can see hundreds of them flying across the sky - it's a lovely sight.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #76
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

OK, I officially envy you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #77
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

In honor of our lil county agricultural fair this weekend - tractor pull here we come!!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLvziNM2eyE&ob=av2e"]YouTube - Josh Thompson - Way Out Here (Acoustic)[/nomedia]
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #78
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Heh, I may have to pull out my GOOD overalls!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #79
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am from is a small town in northern CA a old cornish mining town about as small town as it gets lots of open spaces room to gorw and breathe kind of like watching history past old west fighting the intrusion of the modern age suits me I just did not know it then. I miss fishing in the creek with my grandpa hikng in the snow watching the horses run in the neighbors field. going with my dad and stepmother to her parents ranch to help with the calves lol and my dad putting me on the back of one to see how long I could ride it. so I see I ran from what I already had and now spent years trying to get back to it
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #80
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
so I see I ran from what I already had and now spent years trying to get back to it
Ah Bard, but you needed to be the person you are today, and that person had to grow through other experiences. I don't think it's ever a mistake to expand our experience of life... even though I totally get how frustrating it can be to need to get back to where we started! I would SOOO move to the country--or at least a very small town--in a heartbeat if only I could.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post: