Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

View Poll Results: Are you a Veteran???
I served in the Army 24 46.15%
I served in the Navy 5 9.62%
I served in the Air Force 7 13.46%
I served in the Coast Guard 1 1.92%
I'm a United States Marine 5 9.62%
I served in the Army Nat'l Guard 2 3.85%
I served in the Air National Guard 1 1.92%
I served in a Reserve Component (please specify) 3 5.77%
I served in the Armed Forces of another country 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #181
Dykea

How Do You Identify?:
I wear garters under my Carhartts
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single as fuck

Dykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST Reputation
Default I hear ya!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
Hoo Ahh........

Boy those witch hunts of old could stop your heart couldn't they? They always seemed to happen in the next company over to mine or somewhere close enough to my door step that it felt like I was next. I dunno what I was so scared of......what were they gonna do? Bend my dog tags and send me home? It felt like so much more then.

I can't even imagine what it was like for our WWII era brothers and sisters where being homosexual could earn you a vacation out in Leavenworth. Now THAT would be scary!

I was stationed in Alaska and one of THE oldest gay bars was in Anchorage... Mad Myrna's. It had several names over the decades = but it was THE gay bar and the "old timers" would tell me stories of how the AF MPs would try and do "raids" trying to BUST homos/dykes!!!

The bar was a HUGE ASS oval thingy... but it had a ridiculous lip from counter to bar stool that I NEVER understood??!! The story goes....

When the MPs would come in w/their battons looking for service members, all the military homos/dykes would hide under the lip and the civilian members would cover them and **flounce**flirt**fickle** w/distraction the MPs, so that they never saw the military personnel hiding, crunched, fetal position under the bar in plain site.

Now this sounds cRaZy today!! I know! But it's not. I was there for one of the raids back in 1999 as a civilian and it still worked.

This is lezzbian and gay history.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dykea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #182
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: being gay in the military in the 1990's

First, I almost didnt get in because the recruiters thought I was gay based on how I dressed (jeans, high-top sneakers, polo shirt, and sweater vest - it was 1989, shut up!), so they made me talk to a psychiatrist who asked me ALL kinds of personal questions about my dreams and fantasies, who were in them, what we did, etc. It was very uncomfortable, but I guess he decided I was fine and they let me into boot camp.

Then in boot camp, one of the girls who was gay decided to turn the suspicion towards me and accused me of coming on to her (this happened in high school too - wtf?).

Now, I didnt know at the time that I was gay - that came months after boot camp - so when I told them I was straight before joining and when I told my CC I wasnt gay when accused of it in boot camp, I was telling the truth as I knew it at the time.

Then when I was stationed in San Diego, I worked at a local lesbian bar as a barback. One night a year, the gay community gets together and dresses up to go to an awards show so they can hand out awards like best gay bar, best gay restaurant, best gay bartender, etc. The people that worked at this bar with me all wanted to go and they talked me into going with them, so we all got dressed up and went to this awards show.

I didnt know the mayor was coming to say a few words or that the media was coming to film the mayor and get crowd shots. The instant I saw those camera, I darted to the back of the room because I didnt want my superiors to see me on TV and kick me out or whatever.

When I got back there, I saw a bunch of military people who came specifically in their uniforms and I suddenly felt very silly standing back there, hiding, hoping no one I knew was watching the news. I decided then and there that I wasnt going to hide anymore and if they wanted to kick me out, fuck 'em.

That almost happened at my next duty station up near Fresno, CA - an ex-girlfriend was causing trouble for me at my hospital (by then, I had become a hospital corpsman, crossing over from airman by going to the HM school) and a LTJG (O-2), who was my immediate supervisor and knew I was gay because of this ex of mine, decided he wanted me gone (he and I had a history where he verbally abused me and even put his hands on me once and shoved me) so he reported me for violating "Dont Ask, Dont Tell" (this was 1995). Of course, he had no idea that the 3rd in command of the hospital was also a dyke! lol So after we both issued statements to her (he lied more than once in his, of course) she told him to never touch or talk to me again, or even be anywhere near me, or she would have him transferred out of the hospital. lol

Looking back, it's surprising I ever made it IN to the Navy, let alone that I never got kicked out while serving. lol
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #183
Dykea

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single as fuck

Dykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST ReputationDykea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Millions upon MILLIONS of dollars to investigate who don't do dick

crap... i posted twice. this is why i wasn't a yeoman.

Last edited by Dykea; 08-30-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: i'm special like dat
Dykea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dykea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #184
Dykea

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single as fuck

Default Millions upon MILLIONS of dollars to investigate women who don't do dick

I don't think people really understand how hard it was back then... and that the overturn of DADT was just the "Patriotic" thing to do, instead of lesbian/gay rights.

SAME EXACT thing happened w/POC in the Services. It had NOTHING to do w/equality - it was about patriotism.

I've said this for nearly 2decades that it always has a major start in the Armed Services tho.... and I was right.

What we all went through was actually quite traumatic and GOD KNOWS we know how many people who were investigated, Masted/Court Martialed and fucking DISCHARGED!

ESPECIALLY WOMEN!!! Women in all the Services were discharged at a MUCH HIGHER percentage rate then male homosexuals. No one KNOWS THIS tho because the majority of images/stories are of gay males. People don't "empathize" w/lesbians in the Military. We are a old joke.

Women were ONLY 8 to 10 percent of the entire military back then!!

Women in the Armed Services have NOT had an easy route and no one knows the stories... because know one really cares to hear them.

Women's History... again erased and ignored.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dykea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #185
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:
happily occupied and awfully engaged.

traumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsong View Post
I think if you can do your job it shouldn't matter. It will be interesting to see how many sign up for 11 Bravo school. I'd be more interested in other more technical combat arms like FA or Air Cav. I suspect you'll see more women there than Infantry.

You know, it is easy to get nostalgic over the romantic notion of high speed - low drag infantry but hey....y'all remember doing this?

That was me......."I can't see, I can't see" and bouncing off a tree.

I got to stay in for two rounds and a few repetitions of the Soldier's Creed...something about being a smart-ass.
traumaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traumaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #186
Wolfsong

How Do You Identify?:
Aw man....another label?
Preferred Pronoun?:
Boys will be boys
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,031 Times in 418 Posts
Wolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST ReputationWolfsong Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykea View Post
I don't think people really understand how hard it was back then... and that the overturn of DADT was just the "Patriotic" thing to do, instead of lesbian/gay rights.

SAME EXACT thing happened w/POC in the Services. It had NOTHING to do w/equality - it was about patriotism.

I've said this for nearly 2decades that it always has a major start in the Armed Services tho.... and I was right.

What we all went through was actually quite traumatic and GOD KNOWS we know how many people who were investigated, Masted/Court Martialed and fucking DISCHARGED!

ESPECIALLY WOMEN!!! Women in all the Services were discharged at a MUCH HIGHER percentage rate then male homosexuals. No one KNOWS THIS tho because the majority of images/stories are of gay males. People don't "empathize" w/lesbians in the Military. We are a old joke.

Women were ONLY 8 to 10 percent of the entire military back then!!

Women in the Armed Services have NOT had an easy route and no one knows the stories... because know one really cares to hear them.

Women's History... again erased and ignored.
Oh but see that's the whole thing. I went to basic in 1982 and they suspected that ALL OF US were gay. Why else would a woman want to join the military right? Unless we wanted to be a man? *Snort......what rubbish.

I was only ever confronted 1 time in 20 years and that was by some drunken sergeants from my own unit in a bar. They figured either I was sleeping with my best friend (a male lieutenant who was the platoon leader of another platoon) or a lesbian. I remember saying to them, "Oh brother you boys don't give me many options. I'm either banging H***** or a lesbian. Isn't there an option to join a convent?" and laughed it off. They persisted awhile until I got mad and reminded them either on or off duty - I was an officer in the United States Army, and, unless they wanted to find themselves missing a stripe they'd knock it off and, if nothing else, respect the rank. They came around the next day with their hats in their hands, hung over as a mother, and very apologetic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfsong For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #187
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,863 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

We've come a looooooong way, baby!!!

From this:

To this:

The baton has been well passed.

Semper Fi,

~Theo~
theoddz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #188
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEMPER FI DEVIL DOGS !!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #189
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Happy 238th birthday, Marines!!!

Semper Fidelis,
~Theo~
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #190
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,268 Times in 1,633 Posts
TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for serving OUR country to each and every one of you.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #191
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:

traumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputationtraumaqueen Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up "Veterans should learn how to be veterans."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-l...b_4585458.html

Good read, not sure how to post the actual article here.
traumaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to traumaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #192
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default DFAS Open Enrollment for the DoD Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) has announced an Open Enrollment Window for the DoD Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) for same sex couples.

Military Retirees who were married to a same-sex spouse on or before June 26, 2013, may now have spouse coverage in the SBP. Depending on the retiree?s circumstances, enrollment for their spouse may be automatic or the retiree may need to elect spouse coverage. Either way, retirees MUST ACT by June 25, 2014 to participate in the SBP Open Enrollment Window.

The DFAS announcement encourages Military Retirees with same-sex spouses to visit http://go.usa.gov/Ww6x<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgo.usa.gov%2FWw6x&h=IAQE1kxwf &s=1> as soon as possible for more information to learn what steps are to be taken by June 25, 2014 to secure or decline the SBP benefit for their spouse. (NOTE: The above link takes you to the DFAS website that discusses the general topic of SBP and making the election. (See: http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/provide/sbp.html<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dfas.mil%2Fretiredmilitar y%2Fprovide%2Fsbp.html&h=-AQE0Ou-E&s=1> ) There are other links to websites with information about who is eligible, costs, and the procedures.)

Although it is not discussed in the DFAS announcement, same-sex ?former spouses? would also be eligible for court awarded Former Spouse SBP coverage in the event of a divorce or dissolution of a same-sex marriage
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #193
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Salute to Vets

MEDAL OF HONOR AND ANGELINA JOLIE; VETS AWARDS ARE LONG OVER-DUE

WASHINGTON -- Seeking to correct a historic injustice, President Obama will award the nation's highest combat honor to two dozen veterans -- mostly Latino and Jewish -- who fought as far back as World War II but were denied the coveted Medal of Honor because of discrimination. Only three of the recipients are still alive. After reviewing about 600 records from Dec. 1941 to Dec. 2001, the Pentagon discovered 19 Latino and Jewish service members who deserved the Medal of Honor. The review also found five additional service members who had been overlooked for the honor. During a ceremony on March 18, the president will award the 24 medals to Army veterans of major combat missions in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Twenty-one medals will be given posthumously.

More from the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politi...#axzz2uZJMCc2l

Angelina Jolie will direct "Unbroken"

Angelina Jolie will direct her upcoming coming film, Unbroken, the true story of WWII vet on Louie Zamperini, now 97. Jolie and Zamperini visit with Tom Brokaw:

All news services are carrying this story including USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...thing/5802253/

I salute all vets.
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #194
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Thank a Vet

Click and be grateful.

http://www.history.com/interactives/thank-a-vet
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #195
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums

Remembering those who didn't come home today.

....and thanking them, and everyone else, who served.

Semper Fi....always.

~Theo~
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #196
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,800 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation
Default Possibly triggering but critically important to know

It has been reported that 22 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans commit suicide each day

(CNN) -- Every day, 22 veterans take their own lives. That's a suicide every 65 minutes. As shocking as the number is, it may actually be higher.

The figure, released by the Department of Veterans Affairs in February, is based on the agency's own data and numbers reported by 21 states from 1999 through 2011. Those states represent about 40% of the U.S. population. The other states, including the two largest (California and Texas) and the fifth-largest (Illinois), did not make data available.

The Defense Department reported that 295 active duty soldiers, airmen, Marines and sailors committed suicide in 2010. Overall, the Department of Defense tracked 863 suicide attempts that year. Suspected and confirmed Army and Marine Corps suicides totaled 311 in 2011. Since the different services have different criteria for tracking suicide and do not all release data regularly, it is difficult to get a clear picture of the suicide epidemic in the military.

What is most troubling is our limited understanding of veteran suicide. The VA does not regularly release data on the number of veterans that commit suicide and there is almost no information about veteran suicide among the 47 percent of veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom who never interact with the VA. Thirty-seven percent of IAVA members who were surveyed in January of 2012 knew a fellow veteran who committed suicide. It is fundamental that the government find a way to track all veteran suicides in order to properly address the issue. Recently the VA has announced that it will work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to track veteran suicide in 48 states. However, it will take at least 2 years to aggregate that data.

Another critical step to understanding how we can stop veteran and service member suicide is to understand that suicide itself is not the whole issue. Suicide is the tragic conclusion of the failure to address the spectrum of challenges confronting returning veterans. And, they are not just mental health injuries; they include the challenges in finding employment, reintegrating to family and community life and many others. Fighting suicide is not just about preventing the act of suicide; it is providing a soft and productive landing for our veterans when they return home.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/21/us/22-...day/index.html

Two-thirds of IAVA members told us in a recent survey that they do not think troops and veterans are getting the mental health care they need. This claim is backed up by a recent VA IG report that exposed that, despite the VA’s claims of low wait times, only 49% of vets seeking mental health evaluation are seen w/in 14 days of a request. The other 51% are waiting an average 50 days for evaluation. This is unacceptable and IAVA is working to hold the VA accountable by mapping out where the VA is providing timely care and where they are leaving veterans behind.

Part of the problem is the serious shortage of military mental health professionals. For example, the Army Surgeon General recommends that there should be at least one behavioral health specialist deployed overseas for every 700 service members. The ratio in Operation Enduring Freedom was one provider for every 646 service members in 2009. Yet because service members were dispersed over a large geographical area, it is unclear whether each service member had access to the necessary support. Effective treatment is also scarce for veterans who have left the military. The VA has given mental health diagnoses to more than 385,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans, or more than 52 percent of new veterans who visit the VA. But VA care is not always convenient and just over half of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who are eligible for its care are registered with the VA. Some veterans face significant hurdles in accessing proper care. Veterans in rural communities are especially hard hit and the availability and quality of mental health care for female veterans ranges widely. Many veterans are turning to community-based solutions, such as nonprofit and private sector care to address their needs. As care for these invisible injuries is developed, it must include a clear role for private and nonprofit leaders that are often the front lines of care.

Invisible injuries also can contribute to issues relating to mental health. When service members are near an exploding mortar or roadside bomb, the blast can damage their brains, often leaving an invisible injury, such as Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). The vast majority of these invisible injuries are mild or moderate, but the injury is widespread: RAND’s 2008 study, found that 19 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans reported a probable TBI during deployment. And tens of thousands are coping with psychological and neurological problems other than TBI.

http://iava.org/issues-and-campaigns...-mental-health

An analysis last year by the Center for Investigative Reporting found that since 2001, the number of major narcotic painkillers prescribed to veterans has increased 270 percent, a rate that dwarfs the concurrent rise in the number of patients. As part of our investigation, VICE spoke with whistleblower Pamela Gray (an MD), who testified before Congress about the dangerous levels of narcotics she witnessed being prescribed while working as a doctor in a VA hospital.

Instead of helping, the VA is actually creating addicts, she tells us. “Narcotics are very cheap. You can see high volumes of patients in a short amount of time at relatively no cost."

For veterans suffering from mental health issues like PTSD and anxiety, narcotics such as OxyContin and Vicodin actually increase the risk of depression and suicide. A major study of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans found that the VA contributes directly to these problems by prescribing such high levels of opiates.

As Gray says, “I do not understand how any medical institution in good conscience can perpetuate a therapy that is harmful to the people that they are supposed to serve."

https://news.vice.com/article/im-pts...icide-or-death

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22396516

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #197
traumaqueen

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
that grrl
Relationship Status:

Also, accepted.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/politi...html?hpt=us_c1
Old 11-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #198
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Member Photo Albums
Default Happy 239th Birthday, Devil Dogs!!!

Today marks the 239th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.

I wish all of my brothers and sisters who share with me The Title a very happy Marine Corps Birthday!!! Semper Fi!!!

OOOOOO RAH!!!!

~Theo~
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #199
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

TruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST ReputationTruTexan Has the BEST Reputation

Happy Veteran's Day to all the Vets out there. Thank you for serving our country and for our freedom.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #200
TruTexan

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

Happy Veteran's Day to all of you whom have served or are still serving in the military. Thank you.